Sign in to follow this  
RetiredNavyGuy

First a murdered printer, now this

KennyF

Try a re boot after unplugging ALL usb items.

KinP

SkyMan

My guess would be something with the video card. Take it out and clean the contacts with a good pencil eraser and then reseat it.

Woolf

My guess would be something with the video card. Take it out and clean the contacts with a good pencil eraser and then reseat it.

try read the post again !!!

Could be a little hard as the video is build into the motherboard

Mr. Mike

Leveraging off of some of the above suggestions and considering the computer was "smacked" around a bit, I would start with the basic hardware trouble shooting techniques.

1. Pull, clean pinouts and reseat all removable boards.

2. Pull, clean and reconnect all ribbon connectors.

3. Pull, check and replace power supply connectors.

4. Check fuses if applicable.

5. Place thumb on "socketed" ICs and apply pressure to ensure proper seating.(pull and replace IC if you wish)

6. Check for any physical damage, lifted or cracked lands,component discoloration, foreign material or pinched wires.

7. If you have access to the interior of the computer with "power on" you might search for a heat-related problems by using a Qtip wetted with alcohol,(not dripping wet)and carefully touching the top of the ICs to see if the symptoms change. The alcohol will have a cooling effect.

8. If the power supply has "test points" check voltages with multimeter.

9. Check any "dip switches" if applicable, to validate proper switch settings

10.Check for any loose or missing "jumpers" (schematics usual required for this)

Good luck!!!

Edited by Mr. Mike

billten

My suggestion is to take the desktop to the main office of Thinking Tools, its at Juancara extension near Jones Ave. They will diagnose it while you wait, for free. Then you can decide if you want to buy the parts to fix the problem. They will also re-case the unit if the case is really bent.