Sign in to follow this  
RetiredNavyGuy

First a murdered printer, now this

RetiredNavyGuy

Previous thread talked about damage to an HP printer in a Balikbayan Box due to US CUSTOMS. Now its time to move to my desktop - also damaged in the same shipment (different box from the printer, but also opened by US Customs).

I thought I finally got the desktop pieced back together and got a monitor for it. Here's the problem.

1. Connect monitor...no image

2. Desktop does have power (dual select power supply set for 230v now)

3. DVD light is on constantly

4. HDD light is on constantly

5. Video circuitry is embedded in the motherboard.

6. Laptop connected to monitor, using the same cable, DOES produce an image on the monitor.

I thought about buying a video card to put in the desktop, but I am wondering if that would turn out to be a waste of money because there are other problems on the motherboard.

Suggestions appreciated...even before Norseman gets back.

Robert

Edited by RetiredNavyGuy

Woolf

any beeps when it is turned on ?

Fan in power supply running ?

Fan on cpu cooler/heatsink running ?

RetiredNavyGuy

any beeps when it is turned on ?

Fan in power supply running ?

Fan on cpu cooler/heatsink running ?

No beeps, all fans running.

KennyF

Is your memory clean and seated well in? Is it in the correct slots? Some mother boards take a lone chip only in one particular slot.

Take it out and clean the contacts of the chip by rubbing with a pencil eraser, wipe with a clean tissue and fit again.

KinP

BaniladBadBoy

The HDD light constantly being on could indicate your drive is damaged. This may have occurred when customs jacked your box up. Do you hear grinding from the HDD?

RetiredNavyGuy

The HDD light constantly being on could indicate your drive is damaged. This may have occurred when customs jacked your box up. Do you hear grinding from the HDD?

No, not hearing any unusual noise from the hard drive.

Woolf

I have seen the processor chip pop out the socket on the motherboard enough for some pins to loose contact

for the memory normally it is enough to take it out and put it back in

but cleaning as kenny said is a good idea, be a little careful with the pencil eraser as it will take a tiny amount off the gold plating

Edited by Woolf

RetiredNavyGuy

Is your memory clean and seated well in? Is it in the correct slots? Some mother boards take a lone chip only in one particular slot.

Take it out and clean the contacts of the chip by rubbing with a pencil eraser, wipe with a clean tissue and fit again.

KinP

Memory looks to be well seated...and all the sockets are full. I will take them out, clean and reseat them, see if that helps. Thanks

Jeepney

Is it possible to connect your desktop to your laptop?

Is the new monitor working in other words?

Or is your desktop waiting for input, you can not see on screen atm.

Edited by Dutchpiet

RetiredNavyGuy

Is it possible to connect your desktop to your laptop?

Is the new monitor working in other words?

Or is your desktop waiting for input, you can not see on screen atm.

The monitor is working. When I connect the monitor to the laptop, I get an image. Don't have the connections to link the desktop to the laptop and have the laptop screen show the desktop video output.

I think the problem is the desktop,..there should be several screens of bootup information that comes up before the first request for input from the desktop, and I am getting none of that.

Jeepney

Yep, normally you should see the start up choices, the monitor is working...ok.

If you see a image, then your video card is working!

Most probably your hard drive/memory is the problem.

Ozepete

Robert, you say quote;

"2. Desktop does have power (dual select power supply set for 230v now)

Did you select 230v BEFORE it was plugged into the supply here?

If it was plugged in while still set on US 110v then it may have some over voltage damage.

RetiredNavyGuy

Yep, normally you should see the start up choices, the monitor is working...ok.

If you see a image, then your video card is working!

I see an image when connected to the laptop. I do NOT see an image when connected to the desktop, not even the start up choices. If I had a separate video card, I would replace it as a first step. But since the video circuits are part of the motherboard, what I am afraid of is that the motherboard got damaged. I HOPE the drive is okay. :(

RetiredNavyGuy

Robert, you say quote;

"2. Desktop does have power (dual select power supply set for 230v now)

Did you select 230v BEFORE it was plugged into the supply here?

If it was plugged in while still set on US 110v then it may have some over voltage damage.

:( Legitimate question. However, I set it before I packed it into the Balikbayan Box, and checked it again before plugging it in the first time.

David_LivinginTalisay

Check that the Speaker is connected to the Motherboard, so you can hear the 'Beeps' when powered on?

You should hear at least 1 Beep usually, if the Power On Self Test (POST) check passed.

No beep.................................Power supply or system board problem

You can test the Power Supply with a Multimeter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rivoVzxwNtI

http://www.metacafe....wer_supply_psu/

Power-supply troubleshooting with a multimeter

The computer power-on self-test (POST) tests the computer to make sure it meets the necessary system requirements and that all hardware is working properly before starting the remainder of the boot process. If the computer passes the POST the computer will have a single beep (with some computer BIOS manufacturers it may beep twice) as the computer starts and the computer will continue to start normally.

http://networking.ri...com/PC/beep.php

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

http://www.pchell.co...beepcodes.shtml