lets begin at confused

Hey Mike,here is a little piece from Immigration also.According to the Bureau of Immigration, the Balikbayan Privilege can be availed of by the foreign member of a balikbayan's family EVERY TIME they enter the Philippines with the balikbayan (former Filipino/dual citizen) AND NOT ONLY ONCE A YEAR.

I think what I am confused about - especially reading what you just added - my wife is not a returning Filipina. She is a current citizen of the Philippines and the only time she has been outside of the Philippines was the first of December when we went on our honeymoon.

Regardless, it is very good news to me - We want to get my wife a visa to visit the US - not live there, just vacation to visit friends and family. I also want to apply for a 13A, myself.

My wife has an Aunt who lives in Kentucky - she recommended that we apply for her (my wife's) visa first, before I apply for the 13A to insure that US Gov't understands that I am not looking at never returning.

Thanks to you, I no longer feel pressured in getting everything done so quickly - we can take vacations to other SE Asia countries and I can continue to get the BB Stamp each time we return.

Baywak, you made my day.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpt1947

• Baywak

• NOSOCALPINOY

• RogerDuMond

RogerDuMond

Thank you for the information - I looked on the BOI Site (which referred me to Google- go figure) - I guess I was misreading the information - it is good for one year, can be extended once for 6 months, if you don't leave the country or you can continue to ask - the key being you have to Ask for it each time you return and your Filipina wife has to be with you -

Mike according to the BOI site the Balikbayan stamp is good for one year and for non-restricted nationals, it can be extended for a period of not more than two months. This extension can be granted up to six times for a total of twelve months. The extension period for restricted nationals is one month up to six times for a total of 6 months.

http://immigration.g...d=116&Itemid=65

The list of countries whose citizens are considered non-restricted nationals is attached here.

http://immigration.g...id=16&Itemid=37

Hey Mike,here is a little piece from Immigration also.According to the Bureau of Immigration, the Balikbayan Privilege can be availed of by the foreign member of a balikbayan's family EVERY TIME they enter the Philippines with the balikbayan (former Filipino/dual citizen) AND NOT ONLY ONCE A YEAR.

I think what I am confused about - especially reading what you just added - my wife is not a returning Filipina. She is a current citizen of the Philippines and the only time she has been outside of the Philippines was the first of December when we went on our honeymoon.Mike,My wife is still a filippino citizen with a filippino passport but also a legal permanent resident of the USA.I am not sure if thats what makes the difference on you getting a balikbayan stamp.My guess is that you got a balikbayan stamp when you returned from your honeymoon.That may be as you said earlier,up to the officer at arrival.They have always been very welcoming when we arrived.

Regardless, it is very good news to me - We want to get my wife a visa to visit the US - not live there, just vacation to visit friends and family. I also want to apply for a 13A, myself.

My wife has an Aunt who lives in Kentucky - she recommended that we apply for her (my wife's) visa first, before I apply for the 13A to insure that US Gov't understands that I am not looking at never returning.

Thanks to you, I no longer feel pressured in getting everything done so quickly - we can take vacations to other SE Asia countries and I can continue to get the BB Stamp each time we return.

Baywak, you made my day.

Edited by Baywak
NOSOCALPINOY

You may not get a second chance at what?

How long is a BB stamp good for as far as staying?

1 year, but if you leave the country before it is up - you still must come back in with your wife and you may not get a second chance - that might be between you and the immigration officer that stamps your incoming passport

Yes the BB stamp is good for one year and here's a Memorandum further saying:

http://immigration.g...d=239&Itemid=80

THE BALIKBAYAN PRIVILEGE (R.A.6768 as amended)

MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD

By legal definition, a Balikbayan is:

1. A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least 1 year;

2. A Filipino overseas worker; or

3. A former Filipino citizen and his or her family, who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines.

The "Balikbayan Privilege" may be availed of by foreign family members of all 3 classifications provided that they travel together everytime they enter the country (MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD).

• "FAMILY" shall mean the spouse and the children of the Balikbayan who are not Balikbayan in their own right traveling with the latter to the Philippines. (Section 2 (:biggrin_01: of R.A. no. 9174, amending R.A. 6768, entitled: "An Act Instituting a "BALIKBAYAN PROGRAM", by providing Additional Benefits and Privileges to Balikbayan and for other purposes").

Here's the good part that alot of balikbayans don't know about!

Correspondingly, all Balikbayans 14 years and below and 60 years of age shall be allowed to extend their temporary visitor visa under Section 9a of the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 as amended, for a maximum period of 6 months for every extension PROVIDED that all appropriate fees are paid. Thus, Balikbayans are allowed a maximum total stay of 2 years inclusive of all extensions. (MEMORANDUM ORDER NO. ADD – 02 – 011 dated 11 February 2002).

Any B.I. office can't deny you this because the memorandum is still in effect!

(but they will try to deny you the 6 month extension!) It they do, email their main office and show them this memorandum! I did and that's why I know it to be a fact and I have the email dated Aug 5, 2010 to prove it!!

This means that you don't have to do the every 2 months tourist visa extensions after the BB stamp has elapsed unless you and your spouse decides to leave the P.I., then return and get another BB stamp good for another year again!

You will though need to get a new ACR I-CARD with the 6 month extension because you will go over the 59 days.

And here's the last paragraph of the BB Program:

The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed the

Department of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001 that, "All Immigration

Officers at authorised ports of entry shall grant the benefits and

privileges to all Balikbayans and Former Filipinos included every time

they enter the country to visit, regardless of their frequent travel".

This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of the

Balikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of times

they enter the country within a year.

If one doesn't want to go the BB stamp route before it expires, just go ahead

and get your 13a visa if one plans to stay for the long term! And if one is a Fil/Am,

just get your Dual Citizenship or a 13g visa!

:

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY
Stranded Shipscook

1 year, but if you leave the country before it is up - you still must come back in with your wife and you may not get a second chance - that might be between you and the immigration officer that stamps your incoming passport

1. A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least 1 year;

3. A former Filipino citizen and his or her family, who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines.

hello again,

i have removed the caps lock key from the keyboard for those who seem put out by it. but may be you should send a quick email to the computer manafacturers and advise them to remove the caps lock when making the keyboards, seems funny that they would put one on the keyboard with the intention of annoying and bugging the diaspora that use keyboards, think of the money they could/would save by not putting them in the keyboard, or maybe i should email them and let them know about all the disgruntled users the world over..

to those who managed to see past the caps lock and answered my queries thank you very much indeed it was a great help and continue to look for advise on the subject posed......

Edited by dyanisis

NOSOCALPINOY

you may add that at all time when availing to the balikbazan program you have to show an onward/return ticket too.

I got troubled in Manila because i did ot had one and they simply refused to stamp the BB in. The immi officer showed me a memo thats its needed. interesting was that they stamped me a 21 day visa without any problems (BASTARDS!!)

Guenther,

I've been doing the "Balikbayan Program" for 12 years now and that's the first time I ever heard of an immigration official asking if your have a follow-on ticket!

I know that most airline ticket counter employees will not give you a boarding pass without a round trip or follow-on ticket going to Manila, but I've never been asked that from an immigration official upon arrival in Manila from the U.S. and was always given the BB stamp without any hassles! How long ago was this when it happen? Was your Filipino wife with you? And where were you coming from? And what did you do after they stamped your passport with the 21 day visa? I'll make additional comments after you have answered my questions, because this is intriguing to me, because I may email the BI main office in Manila to verify this because it's conflicting with what the BB Program is all about from the U.S. anyway and on Philippines Airlines which is the only airline exclusively that can issue one way tickets to "Balikbayans" to Manila from the U.S., so how can an immigration official deny me a BB stamp when PAL issued me a one way ticket to Manila? That's why I'm curious!

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY
RogerDuMond

Guenther,

I've been doing the "Balikbayan Program" for 12 years now and that's the first time I ever heard of an immigration official asking if your have a follow-on ticket!

I know that most airline ticket counter employees will not give you a boarding pass without a round trip or follow-on ticket going to Manila, but I've never been asked that from an immigration official upon arrival in Manila from the U.S. and was always given the BB stamp without any hassles! How long ago was this when it happen? Was your Filipino wife with you? And where were you coming from? And what did you do after they stamped your passport with the 21 day visa? I'll make additional comments after you have answered my questions, because this is intriguing to me, because I may email the BI main office in Manila to verify this because it's conflicting with what the BB Program is all about from the U.S. anyway and on Philippines Airlines which is the only airline exclusively that can issue one way tickets to "Balikbayans" to Manila from the U.S., so how can an immigration official deny me a BB stamp when PAL issued me a one way ticket to Manila? That's why I'm curious!

The airlines requirement for an onward ticket to get a boarding pass is to comply with Philippine law that requires any person not holding an immigrant visa have an onward or return ticket. The BB stamp is a privilege not a right and immigration is not required to issue it. It is usually issued, but is at the discretion of the immigration official.

NOSOCALPINOY

Guenther,

The airlines requirement for an onward ticket to get a boarding pass is to comply with Philippine law that requires any person not holding an immigrant visa have an onward or return ticket. The BB stamp is a privilege not a right and immigration is not required to issue it. It is usually issued, but is at the discretion of the immigration official.

Well, if one don't ask, one don't get! I emailed the BI main office back in Aug about the 6 month extension prior to my BB stamp's expiration vs the every 2 month tourist visa extension! We got the 6 month extension, but we didn't use it, but we will the next time around if we need to! Just good to know it's still available! This was slightly off the topic to the ACR question, but sort of related, because one still needs an ACR I-CARD with this 6 month extension! Edited by NOSOCALPINOY
RogerDuMond

Well, if one don't ask, one don't get! I emailed the BI main office back in Aug about the 6 month extension prior to my BB stamp's expiration vs the every 2 month tourist visa extension! We got the 6 month extension, but we didn't use it, but we will the next time around if we need to! Just good to know it's still available! This was slightly off the topic to the ACR question, but sort of related, because one still needs an ACR I-CARD with this 6 month extension!

If I am interpreting the original post correctly, he doesn't qualify for a BB stamp in the first place. It doesn't appear that his wife has been out of the Philippines for a year, is an OSW, or a "former" Philippine citizen.

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=239&Itemid=80

SkyMan

you may add that at all time when availing to the balikbazan program you have to show an onward/return ticket too.

I got troubled in Manila because i did ot had one and they simply refused to stamp the BB in. The immi officer showed me a memo thats its needed. interesting was that they stamped me a 21 day visa without any problems (BASTARDS!!)

That really kind of sucks as the BB stamp os good for a year and you can't buy an airline ticket that far out.

I'm wondering if that applies only to the foreigner or also the returning spouse if they aren't an RP citizen.

That really kind of sucks as the BB stamp os good for a year and you can't buy an airline ticket that far out.

I'm wondering if that applies only to the foreigner or also the returning spouse if they aren't an RP citizen.

I have a ticket from Tiger airlines to Singapore good until October cost less then $70 if I can extend the ticket then great, but if not what the heck it is $70

SkyMan

I have a ticket from Tiger airlines to Singapore good until October cost less then $70 if I can extend the ticket then great, but if not what the heck it is $70

If you're wanting to throw $70 around please throw some my way.