I Want Philippine Citizenship

Bukwali
I was also wondering why somebody would do that but I also think that some of the judgemental comments made here are a bit too hasty spoken.

I agree people are a little to Quick to make judgements, I guess If people are realy interested theycould PM him.

I was also a little curious when I first read his post, but he did post again some days later under another thread,[see below] and I would guess that this paticular thread was a knee jerk reaction because of his treatment regarding registering his child.

[My experience registering foriegn Births. Forum: Living In Cebu

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WorldlyPatriot

• jimmynug

• Ilovecebu

• ckfm

jimmynug
I agree people are a little to Quick to make judgements, I guess If people are realy interested theycould PM him.

I was also a little curious when I first read his post, but he did post again some days later under another thread,[see below] and I would guess that this paticular thread was a knee jerk reaction because of his treatment regarding registering his child.

[My experience registering foriegn Births. Forum: Living In Cebu

State Trooper

Ok, interesting thread. I thought it would generate opinions on both sides of the fence and it did.

Well, No Im not running from the IRS or have other debts there and no Im not crazy, I hold a Dr degree in Relationship Counseling.

Ive been living here for over 3 years on a permanent resident visa (13). My wife and 3 children do not want to go to the US and neither do I. Its just a preferance.

I dont care for US foreign policy or their domestic policy for that matter. I think there are about a billion people that would agree with me on that.

I like the Philippines and intend to stay here. Philippine citizenship makes it a little easier since I dont have to deal with BI, or with the US.

My attorney says it can be done since Im married to a Filipina, the 5 year residency requirement can be waived. Now I just have to make that final decision.

Bet_Busta
Ok, interesting thread. I thought it would generate opinions on both sides of the fence and it did.

Well, No Im not running from the IRS or have other debts there and no Im not crazy, I hold a Dr degree in Relationship Counseling.

Ive been living here for over 3 years on a permanent resident visa (13). My wife and 3 children do not want to go to the US and neither do I. Its just a preferance.

I dont care for US foreign policy or their domestic policy for that matter. I think there are about a billion people that would agree with me on that.

I like the Philippines and intend to stay here. Philippine citizenship makes it a little easier since I dont have to deal with BI, or with the US.

My attorney says it can be done since Im married to a Filipina, the 5 year residency requirement can be waived. Now I just have to make that final decision.

How about having dual citizenship?

Never burn your bridges.

If something like Avian Bird flu or a natural disaster like an earthquake happens whilst your in The Philippines, you may be glad to have your US citizenship. Not wishing to sound paranoid, but you never know when you may need it.

Ilovecebu

I also have a 13A visa and have been here for 7 years.

I only deal with Uncle SAM before April 15th to file my tax return.

I only deal with BI here once a year to pay 310 pesos for the annual report.

AM I going to renounce my US Citizenship, because of the above actions that take me less than 20 minutes each, to do once a year??

HELL NO !!! :wt-hell:

Even if some should agree with your opinion about politics and stuff, a big disadvantage would be that you would not be able to travel to ANY other western country with a RP passport. Not sure about Cuba, but I think you couldn't even travel to Cuba. Brasil yes, but how to get to Brasil without stopover in the US or Canada or Japan? :wt-hell:

Torestre

After what I have read, for a US citizen it is no risk involved. You get your Philippine Citizenship, and then tell Uncle Sam that you want your US Citizenship back. Then you truly have the best of both worlds. Dual Cityzenship. But dont trust my word for it though. Do your homework on the subject.

As for me, being a Norwegian citizen I have a much harder time aquiring dual citizenship.

Ilovecebu

AND if you had a medical reason to go back to the USa or some old fogey relative kicked the bucket and left you a wad of CASH bud you MUST be present to collect.

Does anone really think the US STATE DEPT is anxious to give you a visa to get back in the USA ! :wt-hell:

Bastos

"Does anone really think the US STATE DEPT is anxious to give you a visa to get back in the USA ! "

VISA ??!! VISA???!!! We don't need no stinking VISA!!!! All ya gotta do is cross the river in El Paso.

WorldlyPatriot
Never burn your bridges.

If something like Avian Bird flu or a natural disaster like an earthquake happens whilst your in The Philippines, you may be glad to have your US citizenship. Not wishing to sound paranoid, but you never know when you may need it.

SMART, SMART advice!

The OP stated he has ideological differences with his home country. That's very common, and a weak reason to renounce. Nearly ALL of us disagree with some aspect of our home government's policies or laws.

The OP also states he's a well-educated person. As I see it, and opinions are as common as a-holes, a well-educated person would exercise more prudence and rationality to the matter, and realize the negative aspects of renouncing in favor of RP far outweigh any positive benefits.

You can disagree with, hate, bad-mouth, and become a non-resident of your home country without renouncing your citizenship. But, as previously articulated on this thread, if RP self-implodes and/or becomes extremely dangerous for Westerners, how many countries are going to give you amnesty and welcome you with open arms as an RP citizen?

jimmynug
"Does anone really think the US STATE DEPT is anxious to give you a visa to get back in the USA ! "

VISA ??!! VISA???!!! We don't need no stinking VISA!!!! All ya gotta do is cross the river in El Paso.

Well you do have a good point there :lmao: Oh wait, you have to have the visa to get into mexico :wt-hell:
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
"So, can anyone articulate a credible reason to renounce their citizenship from a developed nation in favor of a developing nation with extremely challenging social and political problems?"

Extremely high taxes ??? Our wonderful friends here at the IRS ??? Just a thought. I'm sure more than one man has thought to take his money and run.

You don't think taxes are high in RP? You must enjoy paying that 12-13% VAT! And, what, as a foreigner, do YOU get for paying VAT...........

- you get ineffective, corrupt law enforcement;

- you get a justice system that's the joke of the world (one million backlogged cases) and probably the most corrupt judiciary of any democratic nation;

- if you have no health insurance or cash, and you are hospitalized with a life-threatening illness, the doctors will let you die instead of trying to save you (numerous documented cases of this happening in RP hospitals);

- you get an RP Armed Forces that's totally dependent on the USA, and couldn't fight its way out of a wet paper bag, along with completely undefended, porous borders that are just begging for Jihadists and extremists to enter and set-up operations to exterminate Westerners;

- you get an infrastructure that's notoriously poor and a primary reason (continuously cited by the experts), along with massive, unchecked corruption, for keeping vital Foreign Direct Investment from entering this nation in amounts that make a difference to average Filipinos.

Paying high taxes or having an IRS that's intrusive or out-of-control are not credible reasons to renounce your citizenship. You can take your money and run anytime you want, and still retain your citizenship......but renouncing your citizenship forfeits your right to leave this troubled, developing nation should things go terribly wrong.

I'm still searching for a credible, intelligent reason for a citizen from a 1st World nation to renounce their citizenship in favor of a developing nation with extraordinary problems.

- escaping criminal activity in your home country won't work (you'll be identified as a crook, and RP won't grant citizenship to current or former criminals because they have enough of their own!)

- excessive taxation is a weak excuse (if you come here as a permanent resident, you'll still pay taxes, albeit less than what you pay in your developed nation). Also, what percentage of Americans truly have serious IRS troubles? I bet it's less than 0.1% of the population (that's about 300,000).

- ideological differences with your home country just don't qualify. You can leave your home country, bad-mouth your home country in your new, adopted country with little chance of repercussion, but still be welcomed home if you have a change of heart or if RP self-implodes!

If he was to do this, what Procedures would RP take to solidify that he is a crook,? I dont see how they can tap into the United States NCIC's data base? I know the U.S. and the Philippines have good relations, but at what point would the U.S. divulge that he is left on ill terms? He has his reasons for leaving, I dont believe in burning bridges, but just concerned about why they wouldnt accept him due to ill reasons? How would they know if he has done some level of crime, very interested in a response on that, thanks

How about having dual citizenship?

not possible ...unless u are the owner of bigfoot and get a special law past just for you alone. (as far as i understand)

also people keep asking of one possible reason to want to become a citizen..... well what about company law.... you will have to join forces with a local filipino if u want to start your own business.

and i bet that korean who had his brains blown out by his local silent business partner so he could inherit the whole operation..... seems like citizenship would have been a good idea for him.

..also what about all the married foreigners who lose their houses after a divorce even though they paid for it in full......all because non citizens cant have the majority of any property land or business.

????