I Want Philippine Citizenship

State Trooper

I was born in the USA and now live here permanently on a section 13 visa. I want to renounce my US citizenship and become a Philippine citizen.

Ive considered this very carefully and just wonder if anyone knows how to go about that.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimmynug

• WorldlyPatriot

• ckfm

• Ilovecebu

Sorry to burst your bubble but it is a VERY long and arduous journey......there is a missionary who just obtained his after living in the Phils for 30 years or so.........good luck....you'll need it

Edited by Mike S
CaptainJackson
I was born in the USA and now live here permanently on a section 13 visa. I want to renounce my US citizenship and become a Philippine citizen.

Ive considered this very carefully and just wonder if anyone knows how to go about that.

This is certainly none of my business, but I am the curious type.

Would you care to expound on your wish to renounce?

WorldlyPatriot

I question the sanity of a person from a first-world nation that desires to renounce their citizenship in favor of a developing nation with tremendous problems. I'm not attacking the poster, I'm attacking the decision.

To me, it makes no sense at all to "burn bridges." Even if your home country neglected you, or you have some other ax to grind, why throw away the opportunity to return, especially if it's relatively easy to stay in a developing nation with a semi-permanent visa (e.g., 13A)?

You can have the best of both worlds...........citizenship in your developed nation, and residency in the developing country, and retain the right to leave should life become undesirable in your adopted country.

Of course, we all know that RP could never become an undesirable place to live for Westerners.........it's a Utopia with a very bright future (that's being satirical, I know, but anyone considering renouncing their current citizenship in favor of RP needs a reality check).

• 3 weeks later...
Inspector 2211
I question the sanity of a person from a first-world nation that desires to renounce their citizenship in favor of a developing nation with tremendous problems. I'm not attacking the poster, I'm attacking the decision.

To me, it makes no sense at all to "burn bridges." Even if your home country neglected you, or you have some other ax to grind, why throw away the opportunity to return, especially if it's relatively easy to stay in a developing nation with a semi-permanent visa (e.g., 13A)?

You can have the best of both worlds...........citizenship in your developed nation, and residency in the developing country, and retain the right to leave should life become undesirable in your adopted country.

Of course, we all know that RP could never become an undesirable place to live for Westerners.........it's a Utopia with a very bright future (that's being satirical, I know, but anyone considering renouncing their current citizenship in favor of RP needs a reality check).

You don't know the OP's circumstances.

For instance, he may owe substantial back taxes or alimony or child support back in the U.S. and renouncing citizenship will throw a monkey wrench into the process the U.S. IRS and/or court system to get a hold of him and/or his assets.

For instance, it's fairly easy for country X to get a citizen of country X extradited from country Y.

But it is a whole different ballgame for country X to get a citizen of country Y extradited from country Y, probably even more so than for country X to get a citizen of country Y extradited from country Z.

jimmynug

For instance, he may owe substantial back taxes or alimony or child support back in the U.S. and renouncing citizenship will throw a monkey wrench into the process the U.S. IRS and/or court system to get a hold of him and/or his assets.

For instance, it's fairly easy for country X to get a citizen of country X extradited from country Y.

But it is a whole different ballgame for country X to get a citizen of country Y extradited from country Y, probably even more so than for country X to get a citizen of country Y extradited from country Z.

Well if that was the case, i hope the govt gets him before he can hatch his deadbeat plan.

With a SRRV visa, you can get it after 5 years.

WorldlyPatriot
Well if that was the case, i hope the govt gets him before he can hatch his deadbeat plan.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that avoiding one's responsibility in their home country is no reason to become a citizen in another country!

One more note.........if you petition to become a citizen in RP, don't think that a THOROUGH BACKGROUND check will not be made in your home country. If you were / are escaping for any of the reasons outlined above, they will be uncovered, and it's doubtful RP will want to offer citizenship to such a person.

In the Information Age, it's difficult to escape your past, especially a criminal history of any type (yes, nonpayment of taxes, child support, and/or alimony is a crime in every State in the USA, and probably most countries).

So, can anyone articulate a credible reason to renounce their citizenship from a developed nation in favor of a developing nation with extremely challenging social and political problems?

Bastos

"So, can anyone articulate a credible reason to renounce their citizenship from a developed nation in favor of a developing nation with extremely challenging social and political problems?"

Extremely high taxes ??? Our wonderful friends here at the IRS ??? Just a thought. I'm sure more than one man has thought to take his money and run.

smokey

This is correct we don't know so we should not assume he is on the run... maybe he is just mad at the US and wants to make a statement to himself.. I never knew the things you said were possible .

I was also wondering why somebody would do that but I also think that some of the judgemental comments made here are a bit too hasty spoken.

jimmynug
I was also wondering why somebody would do that but I also think that some of the judgemental comments made here are a bit too hasty spoken.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as we all are. And if the circumstances are as Inspector 2211 mentioned, then I stand by mine.

WorldlyPatriot
"So, can anyone articulate a credible reason to renounce their citizenship from a developed nation in favor of a developing nation with extremely challenging social and political problems?"

Extremely high taxes ??? Our wonderful friends here at the IRS ??? Just a thought. I'm sure more than one man has thought to take his money and run.

You don't think taxes are high in RP? You must enjoy paying that 12-13% VAT! And, what, as a foreigner, do YOU get for paying VAT...........

- you get ineffective, corrupt law enforcement;

- you get a justice system that's the joke of the world (one million backlogged cases) and probably the most corrupt judiciary of any democratic nation;

- if you have no health insurance or cash, and you are hospitalized with a life-threatening illness, the doctors will let you die instead of trying to save you (numerous documented cases of this happening in RP hospitals);

- you get an RP Armed Forces that's totally dependent on the USA, and couldn't fight its way out of a wet paper bag, along with completely undefended, porous borders that are just begging for Jihadists and extremists to enter and set-up operations to exterminate Westerners;

- you get an infrastructure that's notoriously poor and a primary reason (continuously cited by the experts), along with massive, unchecked corruption, for keeping vital Foreign Direct Investment from entering this nation in amounts that make a difference to average Filipinos.

Paying high taxes or having an IRS that's intrusive or out-of-control are not credible reasons to renounce your citizenship. You can take your money and run anytime you want, and still retain your citizenship......but renouncing your citizenship forfeits your right to leave this troubled, developing nation should things go terribly wrong.

I'm still searching for a credible, intelligent reason for a citizen from a 1st World nation to renounce their citizenship in favor of a developing nation with extraordinary problems.

- escaping criminal activity in your home country won't work (you'll be identified as a crook, and RP won't grant citizenship to current or former criminals because they have enough of their own!)

- excessive taxation is a weak excuse (if you come here as a permanent resident, you'll still pay taxes, albeit less than what you pay in your developed nation). Also, what percentage of Americans truly have serious IRS troubles? I bet it's less than 0.1% of the population (that's about 300,000).

- ideological differences with your home country just don't qualify. You can leave your home country, bad-mouth your home country in your new, adopted country with little chance of repercussion, but still be welcomed home if you have a change of heart or if RP self-implodes!