Sign in to follow this  
David_LivinginTalisay

Green Trail Riding in Cebu on Dual Sport Motorbike

David_LivinginTalisay

Meeting Point:.. U-Rock BBQ, Carcar (can someone confirm they open for Breakfast?

If you have not read the following Thread, and don't know the location of U-Rock BBQ - please do so, as there is Maps/Directions showing how to get there (1st Left after BIG Shoe, or Right at top of Hill coming from Carcar - BEFORE BIG Shoe)

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/24593-u-rock-bbq/page__view__findpost__p__257509

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&msa=0&msid=201578951975229333411.0004908aac0960ff5c6ea&ll=10.107289,123.658676&spn=0.01071,0.021007&z=16

OK so who is up for some Green Trail Riding - Trip #1, here in Cebu.

Trip: ................... 'The Vegatable Highway'

Options: ..............i) Via Ocana and around Mt. Capilan to Carcar-Barili Road

..............................ii) .Guadalupe Mabugnao-Mainit Hot Spring National Park (was waiting for some feedback from Lee as to this being worthwhile detour or not?)

..............................iii) *The Vegetable Highway to Dumanjug - *for sure (suitable for all motorcycles)!

..............................iv) 'Hey Gurly' or Tilapia Fishing Ponds, Barili for Food/Drink (If HeyGurly not open, then it will be Tialapia Pond

..............................v) Mantayupan Falls

Meeting Point:.. U-Rock BBQ, Carcar (can someone confirm they open for Breakfast?)

sunday the 9th would suit me best as i come from cebu city that day has the least traffic to car car and vice versa

however i can work with the other dates

as for route i have no big preference but prefer the " road less travelled" whenever possible

where is U rock BBQ in relation to jollibee in carcar say coming from cebu city?

David_LivinginTalisay

Sights in the AREA of Green Trail Riding - Trip #1, here in Cebu.

If you have a copy of Google Earth, it is good to see the Terrain via 3D view then you can 'Fly' getting 'birds eye view' of where you would be driving.

Recording Tours

To record a tour, click the Record a Tour button in the toolbar or click View > Tour. The record tour controls appear in the bottom left corner of the 3D window. To begin and end recording, click the Record/Stop button. To add audio to your tour, click the Audio button. When you are finished recording your tour, it appears in the Places panel. You can then play it or share it with others.

I cant find that 'Record a Tour' button!

Anyone ever done this?

I wanted to create a Fly Tour along these 'paths'?

http://bbs.keyhole.c...10.26681801.kmz

http://bbs.keyhole.c...a6.44457748.kmz

Laposlapos Cave, Mainit-mabugnao area, Guadalupe, Carcar, Cebu (2000) Rapelling (25m)

1814324.jpg

The 80m-drop Tan-awan Gorge (E, 2000)

30747569.jpg

tan awan falls, carcar city

11530932.jpg

Rice Terraces of Banlot, Cebu

44388456.jpg

Tabel Mountain Resorts

1318979.jpg

Christ the King Parish, Bulak Dumanjug, Cebu

28900756.jpg

Manlapay Vintage House - East Side

18961614.jpg

dumanjug-sibonga road

22350402.jpg

cornfields-balaygtiki, dumanjug cebu

18662420.jpg

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

David_LivinginTalisay

Options: ..............i) Via Ocana and around Mt. Capilan to Carcar-Barili Road

..............................ii) .Guadalupe Mabugnao-Mainit Hot Spring National Park (was waiting for some feedback from Lee as to this being worthwhile detour or not?)

..............................iii) *The Vegetable Highway to Dumanjug - *for sure (suitable for all motorcycles)!

..............................iv) 'Hey Gurly' Barili for Food/Drink (If HeyGurly not open, then it will be Tialapia Pond

..............................v) Tilapia Fishing Ponds, &/or

..............................vi) Mantayupan Falls

Meeting Point:.. U-Rock BBQ, Carcar (can someone confirm they open for Breakfast?)

sunday the 9th would suit me best as i come from cebu city that day has the least traffic to car car and vice versa

however i can work with the other dates

as for route i have no big preference but prefer the " road less travelled" whenever possible

where is U rock BBQ in relation to jollibee in carcar say coming from cebu city?

Green Trail Riding - Trip #1 -"The Vegatable Highway", Cebu.

Suggested Date: SUNDAY 9th January

Meeting Point:.. U-Rock BBQ, Carcar

http://maps.google.c...1,0.021007&z=16

Time: .............. 9am for 10am Departure?

OK, so are we ON for this Sunday - who is coming?

Basically we intends to have breakfast @ U-Rock [email protected] about 9am on Sunday.

Will leave @ 10am with whomever wants to join in the Green Trail Ride #1 -"The Vegatable Highway"

As Lee suggested, we will not take the Carcar Barilli Road (except for those who want to as dont want to use Dirt Track Roads, or arrive to late to join the 'convoy' perhaps),

but will head South towards 'Lagang' Carcar.

http://wikimapia.org...99&z=17&l=0&m=b

We will then head West on that Track, then South.

I've shared a Google MyMap with you called "LinC Forums Green Lane Ride #1:"

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=201578951975229333411.00049927b970400a8f3c7&ll=10.105219,123.613615&spn=0.023237,0.042014&t=h&z=15

Hope some more confirm they will Join in on Sunday (or suggest alternative date if they cant make this Sunday)?

I modified the suggested itinerary as HeyMike said he will open HeyGurly for us LinC Members so we don't HAVE to fish for something to eat!

David, Hey Gurly will always open early for LinC members, just give me the heads-up. If I understand correctly, this is for Sunday, Jan. 9th? If this is correct, we will be open at 12 noon on the 9th. Have fun, ride safely. I will also PM you in case you do not see this post... thanks David.... mike

govoner

I modified the suggested itinerary as HeyMike said he will open HeyGurly for us LinC Members so we don't HAVE to fish for something to eat!

David, Hey Gurly will always open early for LinC members, just give me the heads-up. If I understand correctly, this is for Sunday, Jan. 9th? If this is correct, we will be open at 12 noon on the 9th. Have fun, ride safely. I will also PM you in case you do not see this post... thanks David.... mike

sounds good,count me in. do you have a mobile number in case of bad weather etc.

rbm

..............................iv) 'Hey Gurly' or Tilapia Fishing Ponds, Barili for Food/Drink (If HeyGurly not open, then it will be Tialapia Pond

..............................v) Mantayupan Falls

Time: .................. 9am for 10am Departure?

Date: ...................TBA?

OK those are interested please confirm agreement with the above proposal, and say what is soonest Date, that is good for you?

7th January or 9/10/11/12th Jan (I cant make 8th)

Sounds like a great trip David with lots of new friends.

Unfortunately we will not be able to make it as were delayed some days in Butuan due to floods. Now behind schedule.

Look forward to some pics and details.

David_LivinginTalisay

Sounds like a great trip David with lots of new friends.

Unfortunately we will not be able to make it as were delayed some days in Butuan due to floods. Now behind schedule.

Look forward to some pics and details.

rbm

Well at the moment it only me (David_LivinginTalisay) and govoner , able and willing to do it this Sunday, so not sure what happened to the others that expressed an interest?

Come on Guys - why have you not replied as to WHEN you want to do this TRIP?

Voyager

Lee From Cebu

hypoman

Today is Friday 7th January, and Sinulog Events already started.

Next Saturday is 15th January and is when the Sinulog Parades happen.

Think 'PeaceRiders MCC' are joining in the Parade?

Would there be more support for this Green Trails RIDE if we did it Sunday 16th January?

govoner
rbm

Well at the moment it only me (David_LivinginTalisay) and govoner , able and willing to do it this Sunday, so not sure what happened to the others that expressed an interest?

Voyager

Lee From Cebu

hypoman

Would there be more support for this Green Trails RIDE if we did it Sunday 16th January?

well david, looks like just you and me. do you want to postpone or carry on as planned

David_LivinginTalisay
rbm

Voyager

Lee From Cebu

hypoman

well david, looks like just you and me. do you want to postpone or carry on as planned

govoner

Unless someone else posts today, confirming they up for Ride THIS Sunday, I think we just POSTPONE - probably some time AFTER Sinulog, if that is OK (ie 16th January or later)?

My Mobile No is +639166530091

Hope to see some Bikers from LinC Forums on 2011 Sinulog Street Vibrations Bike Ride on 15th January 2011

Cheers,

David

David_LivinginTalisay
rbm

Voyager

Lee From Cebu

hypoman

govoner

Unless someone else posts today, confirming they up for Ride THIS Sunday, I think we just POSTPONE - probably some time AFTER Sinulog, if that is OK (ie 16th January or later)?

Hope to see some Bikers from LinC Forums on 2011 Sinulog Street Vibrations Bike Ride on 15th January 2011

Cheers,

David

Lee From Cebu Started a New thread in the Social Events: Parties, Boat Trips, etc. Section of the Forum, in the hope this will get more people to respond.

This particular Ride is not just for Dual Sport motorbikes, as any scooter could do this trip .

This 'screen-shot' from Google Earth 3D, shows the Terrain of the proposed Route (in blue), but Lee has not confirmed if this is the same Route that he was proposing?

GreenLaneRide%231.jpg

There is an 'Optional' route (shown in Green) from a valley to the East of the Vegetable Highway, where those on suitable motorcycles, can try and ascend 100m up onto the 'Vegetable Highway' Ridge.

GreenLane%20Ride%231_ClimbToVegetableHigway.jpg

Lee also I put this following thread on the social events calender.

See Ride in the mountains Thread, for latest details and list of those who might be joining in this Ride,

Still starts 9am on Sunday, meeting @ U-Rock Cafe, 9am for breakfast, as suggested here.

Myself and Bruce on our Yamaha XT225's will attempt that Route shown in Green

billten, who apparently lives somewhere along that Vegetable Highway, posted this reply

I have done most of the routes around here and the "more difficult" one you are describing is fine, it gets really deeply rutted and muddy if things are wet and there is a bit where you go down a steep hill that is a bit scary, but its fine for my XR200 and i have done it on a XRM a few times. Really not a big problem as the habel habels come through there all the time.

If it not been raining and you want to try it, it's up to you as you know your motorcycle and you capabilities and can then make a judgement call on whether you will try and tackle it, or not.

If not then there that route shown in Turquise, that should get you safely back onto the Carcar Barilli Road, from which you can easily get to the Start of the Vegetable Highway as it is clearly marked with a Notice board.

I think we are going to Barili on Friday, and probably taking my Hyundai 1.5CRDi VGT with not very good ground clearance, so if that can make that Route in Blue, any motorcycle can!

Lee From Cebu
rbm

Voyager

Lee From Cebu

hypoman

govoner

Cheers,

David

Lee From Cebu Started a New thread in the Social Events: Parties, Boat Trips, etc. Section of the Forum, in the hope this will get more people to respond.

This particular Ride is not just for Dual Sport motorbikes, as any scooter could do this trip .

This 'screen-shot' from Google Earth 3D, shows the Terrain of the proposed Route (in blue), but Lee has not confirmed if this is the same Route that he was proposing?

GreenLaneRide%231.jpg

There is an 'Optional' route (shown in Green) from a valley to the East of the Vegetable Highway, where those on suitable motorcycles, can try and ascend 100m up onto the 'Vegetable Highway' Ridge.

GreenLane%20Ride%231_ClimbToVegetableHigway.jpg

Lee also I put this following thread on the social events calender.

See Ride in the mountains Thread, for latest details and list of those who might be joining in this Ride,

Still starts 9am on Sunday, meeting @ U-Rock Cafe, 9am for breakfast, as suggested here.

Myself and Bruce on our Yamaha XT225's will attempt that Route shown in Green

billten, who apparently lives somewhere along that Vegetable Highway, posted this reply

I have done most of the routes around here and the "more difficult" one you are describing is fine, it gets really deeply rutted and muddy if things are wet and there is a bit where you go down a steep hill that is a bit scary, but its fine for my XR200 and i have done it on a XRM a few times. Really not a big problem as the habel habels come through there all the time.

If it not been raining and you want to try it, it's up to you as you know your motorcycle and you capabilities and can then make a judgement call on whether you will try and tackle it, or not.

If not then there that route shown in Turquise, that should get you safely back onto the Carcar Barilli Road, from which you can easily get to the Start of the Vegetable Highway as it is clearly marked with a Notice board.

I think we are going to Barili on Friday, and probably taking my Hyundai 1.5CRDi VGT with not very good ground clearance, so if that can make that Route in Blue, any motorcycle can!

Yes David the Blue route is the one I want to take its very good pavement and your car can make it . The other route in green I made it to the bottom of the hill but it was a little wet out and theres no way I was going to attempt it on my crotch rocket . I have drove most of the back roads in the Carcar area . I wish I had a dirt bike because I have turned around many times because off small rivers and steep hills .

David_LivinginTalisay

This last Sunday @3rd January, some Members of Peace Riders MCC wanted to do the Vegetable Highway.

We took that route, around Mount Capilan (shown in blue), to join the Carcar-Barili Road (shown in yellow), to then pick up the start of the Vegetable Highway (shown in red) .

Vegetable%20Highway1.jpg

Bilten's House location, is shown by the Green Marker to the right. The 'Off Road' part was to have been from the Green Lane #1 Marker, to the left, up onto the Vegetable Highway, after Bilten's House, if possible.

23012011343.jpg23012011344.jpg

On Sunday I went along the Track, until it came to this 'Y' fork. Should I try the track to the left, or the right?

Vegetable%20Highway2.jpg

Having spoken to some locals, including one on a motorcycle, they did not know of any path/track, up onto the Vegetable highway.

Bruce on his XT225 was back at that Green Lane #1, marker with the other Peace riders MCC Bikers (waiting for Dennis Morgan on his Multicab 'Trike'), so I decided not to spend tim on this occasion seeing if the Left might be the easiest to tackle. Perhaps we need Bilten on his XR200 to show is where these Tracks are, from his house?

Vegetable%20Highway3a.jpg

Zooming in on Google 3D, it does seem there is a path and track

Vegetable%20Highway3.jpg

So I led the Group up the Vegetable Highway, past Bilten's House.

23012011347.jpg

23012011349.jpg

23012011350.jpg

23012011351.jpg

Having done this Vegetable Highway before, I was keen to check out, a way off the Vegetable Highway, down towards the Barili Road.

Whilst it was gravel track (which the locals would ride on ant type of motorcyle)' just me and Sha-Sha, together with Bruce, on his XT225, checked out this Dirt Road, to put it on the Open Street Map.

23012011355.jpg

23012011354.jpg

23012011356.jpg

23012011357.jpg

23012011358.jpg

23012011359.jpg

23012011360.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/david.whittall/GreenLaneRides#5565621680272991698

No reply from HeyMike by Text, to determine if he might open Hey Gurly earlier than normal (like the previous Sunday), so we took the Road Greg had shown us, to arrive on the Sibonga - Dumanjug Road.

Despite Texts to Dennis Morgan, we were unable to find out what part of the Vegetable Highway they had reached and where abouts on the Road to Dumanjug they were?

We sent them another Text saying we would head into Dumanjug Town Center, to find a place to Eat and Drink.

Seems Dennis and the other Peace Riders MCC, did not take the LEFT at the National Highway at Tapon, to meet us @ Dumunjug Town Center, but instead turned right to Tangil and Barilli, and got caught up in Tangil Fiesta.

Me and Sha-Sha stopped off @ Barili District Hospital to see her Papa, who was ill, and weak. Luckily it was just a UTI, and not a kidney problem.

22012011342.jpg

Bruce did not want to visit Papa. so he went to jopin up with the other Peace Rider Bikers, who had returned to the Club House, Rogers Place, Tabunok

After 30 minutes or more, we left Barilli @ 16:40, and got to Rogers Place, some 70 minutes later.

rbm

This last Sunday @3rd January, some Members of Peace Riders MCC wanted to do the Vegetable Highway.

We took that route, around Mount Capilan (shown in blue), to join the Carcar-Barili Road (shown in yellow), to then pick up the start of the Vegetable Highway (shown in red) .

Vegetable%20Highway1.jpg

Bilten's House location, is shown by the Green Marker to the right. The 'Off Road' part was to have been from the Green Lane #1 Marker, to the left, up onto the Vegetable Highway, after Bilten's House, if possible.

23012011343.jpg23012011344.jpg

On Sunday I went along the Track, until it came to this 'Y' fork. Should I try the track to the left, or the right?

Vegetable%20Highway2.jpg

Having spoken to some locals, including one on a motorcycle, they did not know of any path/track, up onto the Vegetable highway.

Bruce on his XT225 was back at that Green Lane #1, marker with the other Peace riders MCC Bikers (waiting for Dennis Morgan on his Multicab 'Trike'), so I decided not to spend tim on this occasion seeing if the Left might be the easiest to tackle. Perhaps we need Bilten on his XR200 to show is where these Tracks are, from his house?

Vegetable%20Highway3a.jpg

Zooming in on Google 3D, it does seem there is a path and track

Vegetable%20Highway3.jpg

So I led the Group up the Vegetable Highway, past Bilten's House.

23012011347.jpg

23012011349.jpg

23012011350.jpg

23012011351.jpg

Having done this Vegetable Highway before, I was keen to check out, a way off the Vegetable Highway, down towards the Barili Road.

Whilst it was gravel track (which the locals would ride on ant type of motorcyle)' just me and Sha-Sha, together with Bruce, on his XT225, checked out this Dirt Road, to put it on the Open Street Map.

23012011355.jpg

23012011354.jpg

23012011356.jpg

23012011357.jpg

23012011358.jpg

23012011359.jpg

23012011360.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/david.whittall/GreenLaneRides#5565621680272991698

No reply from HeyMike by Text, to determine if he might open Hey Gurly earlier than normal (like the previous Sunday), so we took the Road Greg had shown us, to arrive on the Sibonga - Dumanjug Road.

Despite Texts to Dennis Morgan, we were unable to find out what part of the Vegetable Highway they had reached and where abouts on the Road to Dumanjug they were?

We sent them another Text saying we would head into Dumanjug Town Center, to find a place to Eat and Drink.

Seems Dennis and the other Peace Riders MCC, did not take the LEFT at the National Highway at Tapon, to meet us @ Dumunjug Town Center, but instead turned right to Tangil and Barilli, and got caught up in Tangil Fiesta.

Me and Sha-Sha stopped off @ Barili District Hospital to see her Papa, who was ill, and weak. Luckily it was just a UTI, and not a kidney problem.

22012011342.jpg

Bruce did not want to visit Papa. so he went to jopin up with the other Peace Rider Bikers, who had returned to the Club House, Rogers Place, Tabunok

After 30 minutes or more, we left Barilli @ 16:40, and got to Rogers Place, some 70 minutes later.

Nice day out David and thanks for taking the time to report it.

Of particular interest was the little back road we found between Barili and Dumanjug. (Pity Hey Girly was closed) I hope viewers reading the report will consider seeing some of these back roads. The scenery was super as was the road, a little narrow how ever in excellent condition.

all in all apart from my xt failing to start again we all enjoyed a great safe day out.

For readers spending most of their time in Cebu city I would strongly suggest, take time out and follow the itinerary David posted, makes an excellent pm break and one gets a gets a feel of provincial life plus the wonderful views.

thebob

Thanks for the nice report. I know the national highway from Tapon - Barilli - Carcar pretty well, but I don't know these turnings.

It would nice to have the information given in km from known landmarks and photographs of the junctions so that the ride would be easier to reproduce.

For example :- From Carcar rotunda head towards Barilli on the national road. Ride for "X"km and turn left onto the vegetable highway here (picture) the turning is "Y" meters from the "Z" kilometer post.

Thanks for sharing your information.

David_LivinginTalisay

Thanks for the nice report. I know the national highway from Tapon - Barilli - Carcar pretty well, but I don't know these turnings.

It would nice to have the information given in km from known landmarks and photographs of the junctions so that the ride would be easier to reproduce.

For example :- From Carcar rotunda head towards Barilli on the national road. Ride for "X"km and turn left onto the vegetable highway here (picture) the turning is "Y" meters from the "Z" kilometer post.

Thanks for sharing your information.

Can you read a Map?

I took the time to upload my GPS Traces to Open Stret Maps as a Contributor, then edited the Open Street Maps of Cebu, so these Roads we went on are now mapped, so should now be available to everyone.

1. OSM - Mapnik: http://www.openstree...oom=12&layers=M
  2. OSM - Osmarender: http://www.openstree...oom=12&layers=O
  3. Open Cycle Map: http://www.openstree...oom=14&layers=C (not sure why it not the same - works at some levels of Zoom, but roads not displayed @ others?)
  4. Noname: http://www.openstree...oom=12&layers=O (that is what the others looked like, before I added the Roads!)

I am working on editing Google Map Maker, but their Editor is bad as one can only edit segments of a Road, and Intersections between segments. Then they require Moderator approval sometimes; so one has to wait, before one can continue - so time consuming and frustrating.

thebob

David, I'm glad that you have taken the trouble to upload this information but it is not so useful to those who don't have a GPS or a web enabled cell phone while on the road.

The maps provided show such little detail, and the roads are so twisty that it is very difficult to determine where the course lays.

A geotagged picture of each junction along with information about the nearest kilometer post would help in navigating these trails when on the road.

I have traveled the national road possibly hundreds of times, but I have no idea where the vegetable highway starts or finishes.

Edited by thebob