David_LivinginTalisay

Green Trail Riding in Cebu on Dual Sport Motorbike

govoner

hi

would love to join the ride

have a yamaha YBR 125 ,i have driven it a lot in the mountains

but do you guys consider it too small

David_LivinginTalisay

I would love to join but my bikes not made for the backroads.

Lee, whilst some of the Off-Road stuff like riding across and through the Managa River, like the one Mark Burnham took me on, and some of those shown on the YouTube Video of Ian, might need a motorcycle with some 'knobbly' tires' and good ground clearance, some of the tracks can be ridden by most motorcycles (when it has not been raining for a while, so no deep muddy ruts to go through, and we coming up to the dry season now)

You could certainly do the Vegetable Highway if you never ridden that, from what I have been told from those who have ridden it. Judging by the start of it, with turn off from the Carcar - Barili Road, it is excellent with relatively new Tarmac road surface, just lots of twists and bends and lot of changes in elevation. The little bit I did map with my GPS on the Trip back from Peace Riders MCC Dumagette Trip, is now shown on Open Street Maps

If Bruce will then have 2 x Off -Road bikes, once the TTR250 all registered with the LTO etc., that means he will have the XT225 'spare' ?

Lee, you posted to that Thread "New Generation of Chinese Motorcyles" (which got 'LOCKED' for some reason?):-

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/24139-new-generation-of-chinese-motorcyles/page__view__findpost__p__252052

I have the motorstar Z200 and its been a very good small problems with electrics but cheap easy fixes .Not enough power to call it a real sport bike but its pretty fast for a 200cc.

Good brakes and handling always starts and its cheap (price wise)

I was in the dealer the other day and they have good looking dirt bike

My link

and its only 54 thousand pesos

b4058ffc7b7a1049034214ff8eb189ec.jpg

MSX 150-III Php54,000

Features

Front inverted fork and rear mono shock for better suspension.

Front and rear disc brake for accurate braking.

Rectangular shaped headlight for better road visibility.

Specifications

Dimensions: 2180mm x 780mm x 1180mm

Displacement: 150 ml

Rated Speed: 100 kph

BrakeType: Disc/Disc

Starter: Electric/kick

Net Weight: 112 kg

Lube Oil Volume: 0.75 L

Wheel Base: 1360 mm

Min. Ground Clearance: 250

Seems pretty good Spec for 150cc Dual Sport Motorcycle, costing only Php54,000 - why don't you buy one?

Whilst the engine is not water-cooled 'Next Gen' it is a good, reliable 'Zongshen' 150cc model, and having inverted front Forks, Monoshock rear and rear Disk brake, is somewhat 'Next Gen' and getting it on a Dual Sport M/C costing only Php54K is damn good value!

Lee From Cebu

I have road the vegetable hi-way many times its brand new black top . I also know a couple other roads around here that are beautiful riding . I was thinking more offroad trails which I have road tons here just didn,t want to hold you guys up on real trail bikes .

Lee From Cebu

hi

Nope not to small (well to ride with me) I took a xrm 125 deep into the jungle on Negros

heres what I will be riding

gallery_3314_374_47725.jpg

not really a trail bike but works well if not muddy

rbm

hi

Govenor you would have no problem on that bike. The trails we ride are very tame, unless raining.

I have a little xt (waiting my TTR any day now) and I am one of the old farts here so no worriess.

lets wait for David to chip in and we shall get something organized.

David_LivinginTalisay

hi

govoner

A 125cc motorcycle will go many places in the Philippines, as seen by such motorcycles just about everywhere.

How fast it will go, and how easily it will climb hills, depends on the weight of the Rider (and passengers) that the 125cc engine is being asked to haul.

Even my 225cc Yamaha XT225 'Serow', with me on board weighing 96Kg, and Sha-Sha adding another 40+Kg and with perhaps 10Kg luggage, that 150+Kg 'load' is asking a lot of a Motorcycle (that weighs in @ 121Kg with full 10l + 2l Res Tank of Gas) when climbing steep hills like from San carlos to Bacolod, over the mountains. One had to just keep using a lower gear for such steep climbs with such a load on board, and that means lower speeds, but it still made it OK.

yamaha-ybr125-roja-br-k.jpg

Other than it being a 125cc motorcycle it is a Road Bike and not designed for deep mud, loose rocks and going through rivers, but we will select some 'Trails' suitable for any Motorcycle.

Certainly your Yamaha YBR 125 is more 'suitable' for riding down dirt track roads, than my previous motorcycle - Loncin T200 'Terminator' that I bought off Robert Warren.

T200small.gif

In Bahrain, in 1992, I bought a Honda XL125

76%20Honda%20XL250.jpg

xl125r.jpg

Honda XL125R

I fitted a lighter exhaust, Front Fork gaiters and high level red plastic front mudguard and also red plastic rear mudguard with lighter plastic Tail Light and indicators, to make it more suitable for desert track riding. I also repainted the bike Red, so it looked a lot more like the Honda XL125R, complete with painting a white 'KL' motif on the seat. I think I also got some heat resistant engine spray paint and painted the engine black, yo complete the XL125R look.

Needed change of Registration Papers to show the change of color however, but that was rather easier than I had anticipated.

I had not found a plastic headlight cowling however - should have ordered one, but on-line Internet shops did not really exist back then.

Then, along with a couple of other guys we got the Bahrain Honda Dealer to import us Enduro Hondas. I ordered the XR200R. my mate Malcolm the XR200R, and this big chap ordered the XR500R

xr200r-85.jpg

As you can see, that Honda XR200R is somewhat different from the Honda XR200 you see here in the Philippines.

For a start if has an RFVC (Radial Four Valve Chamber) engine, with twin exhaust pipes. It also has a 'plastic; fuel Tank which is lighter. I also think the Pro-Link Suspension may be more 'trick' than the Honda XR200's here as it was adjustable for both compression and rebound damping.

I got pretty good at pulling a 'wheelie' on that and could go around bends, after learning the art of balance, whilst leaning slightly to change direction. Caused me to have an accident as I went down the side road to this subdivision as my 'access' to the desert route on my way to the office. I car saw me doing a wheelie, and 'panicked' and lost control, having to brake hard and blocking my path. I had to drop the front wheel and suddenly swerve around him, but the rear wheel skidded on loose dirt at that extreme angle, and my XR200R was down. I was not hurt, and no real damage to the bike, but this guy who lived just around the corner wanted to report it (as you are supposed to under Bahrain Traffic Law, and not move the vehicles until Traffic Cop arrives to take notes. This guy had his 'house boy' watching over his car and my motorcycle (still laying on its side).

Then a ready-mix cement truck came along and had to swing out to get around the car - and drove over the rear wheel of my motorbike, causing not only a buckling of the alloy rear wheel, but some damage to the drum Brake plate.

I had to order a new Brake plate but used a similar size allow rear wheel rim and had a local bicycle shop fit all the spokes and true it up into the new rim.

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

David_LivinginTalisay

LivingInCebuForums 'Green Lane' Ride #1

Bruce (RBM) is back in Cebu, from January 7th, as he is in Camiquin currently.

Just need to decide on a Date

My proposal is to meet up @ U-Rock BBQ (near the 'Big Shoe', Carcar), for breakfast.

Then we can travel as a 'Group' up the Carcar-Barili Road to the start of The Vegetable Highway.

Anyone know anything about "Guadalupe Mabugnao - Mainit Hot Spring" shown on Google Map? I mean from actually visiting there, rather than what one can find from a Google Search?

REPUBLIC ACT NO. 6429

<b style="color: rgb(102, 0, 0); font-family: 'bookman old style'; ">

REPUBLIC ACT NO. 6429 - AN ACT DECLARING GUADALUPE MABUGNAO MAINIT HOT SPRINGS IN THE MUNICIPALITY OF CARCAR, PROVINCE OF CEBU, A NATIONAL PARK AND TOURIST SPOT AND AUTHORIZING THE APPROPRIATION OF FUNDS THEREFOR

SECTION 1. The Guadalupe Mabugnao Mainit Hot Springs in the Municipality of Carcar, Province of Cebu, is hereby declared a national park and tourist spot.

SECTION 2. The sum of three hundred thousand pesos is hereby authorized to be appropriated, out of any funds in the National Treasury not otherwise appropriated, during the fiscal year nineteen hundred seventy-four to be spent by the Parks and Wildlife Office for the development of the Guadalupe Mabugnao Mainit Hot Springs into a national park and tourist spot. Thereafter, such sums as may be necessary for its operation and maintenance shall be included in the annual General Appropriations Act.

SECTION 3. This Act shall take effect upon its approval.

Approved: June 17, 1972<br style="font-style: italic; ">

</b>

http://www.protected...g_National_Park

Check this out - another source of Topographic Maps of the Philippines, showing Roads and places of Interest.

http://r7.denr.gov.ph/Links/paws.htm

PROTECTED AREAS IN REGION 7 CEBU 1. Bantayan Island Wilderness Area

2. Camotes Is., Mangrove Swamp Forest Reserve

3. Guadalupe Mabugnao-Mainit Hot Spring National Park

4. Olango Island Wildlife Sanctuary

5. Central Cebu protected Landscape

Personally, I would like to take a small detour to visit this one of 5 x 'Protected Areas' in Cebu - Guadalupe Mabugnao-Mainit Hot Spring National Park

See Google Map

I have been adding roads, via Google Map Maker, but need to use GPS to complete/check where there is no high resolution satellite image.

Travelling down the Vegetable Highway, and taking Right (SW), rather than any Left (SE) pointing tracks, will/should bring us out @ Dumanjug.

http://www.google.co...&t=h&z=15&hl=en

There does appear to be some Tracks visible in the Satellite image (that I traced as added tracks onto Google Map Maker), where one might be able to get into Barili Town center, using some back roads/tracks, rather than the main National Highway up the cost from Dumanjug.

We will be hungry and thirsty by this point.

Wonder if HeyMike would open up Hey Gurly in Barili for us?

For those who are interested, I propose the following:-

• Tilapia Fishing Ponds, Barili
    (You can fish for something to eat and get some Beer/Soft Drinks here (if Hey Gurly not Open, or if you prefer to eat/drink here), before, or after the 'Falls')

Give feedback as to what DATE to do this Trip, and what you think of the proposal.

Most motorcycles should be able to manage this one, so let us know if you want to join in.

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

rbm

LivingInCebuForums 'Green Lane' Ride #1

Bruce (RBM) is back in Cebu, from January 7th, as he is in Camiquin currently.

Just need to decide on a Date

My proposal is to meet up @ U-Rock BBQ (near the 'Big Shoe', Carcar), for breakfast.

Then we can travel as a 'Group' up the Carcar-Barili Road to the start of The Vegetable Highway.

Anyone know anything about "Guadalupe Mabugnao - Mainit Hot Spring" shown on Google Map? I mean from actually visiting there, rather than what one can find from a Google Search?

REPUBLIC ACT NO. 6429

<b style="color: rgb(102, 0, 0); font-family: 'bookman old style'; ">

REPUBLIC ACT NO. 6429 - AN ACT DECLARING GUADALUPE MABUGNAO MAINIT HOT SPRINGS IN THE MUNICIPALITY OF CARCAR, PROVINCE OF CEBU, A NATIONAL PARK AND TOURIST SPOT AND AUTHORIZING THE APPROPRIATION OF FUNDS THEREFOR

SECTION 1. The Guadalupe Mabugnao Mainit Hot Springs in the Municipality of Carcar, Province of Cebu, is hereby declared a national park and tourist spot.

SECTION 2. The sum of three hundred thousand pesos is hereby authorized to be appropriated, out of any funds in the National Treasury not otherwise appropriated, during the fiscal year nineteen hundred seventy-four to be spent by the Parks and Wildlife Office for the development of the Guadalupe Mabugnao Mainit Hot Springs into a national park and tourist spot. Thereafter, such sums as may be necessary for its operation and maintenance shall be included in the annual General Appropriations Act.

SECTION 3. This Act shall take effect upon its approval.

Approved: June 17, 1972<br style="font-style: italic; ">

</b>

http://www.protected...g_National_Park

Check this out - another source of Topographic Maps of the Philippines, showing Roads and places of Interest.

http://r7.denr.gov.ph/Links/paws.htm

PROTECTED AREAS IN REGION 7 CEBU 1. Bantayan Island Wilderness Area

2. Camotes Is., Mangrove Swamp Forest Reserve

3. Guadalupe Mabugnao-Mainit Hot Spring National Park

4. Olango Island Wildlife Sanctuary

5. Central Cebu protected Landscape

Personally, I would like to take a small detour to visit this one of 5 x 'Protected Areas' in Cebu - Guadalupe Mabugnao-Mainit Hot Spring National Park

See Google Map

I have been adding roads, via Google Map Maker, but need to use GPS to complete/check where there is no high resolution satellite image.

Travelling down the Vegetable Highway, and taking Right (SW), rather than any Left (SE) pointing tracks, will/should bring us out @ Dumanjug.

http://www.google.co...&t=h&z=15&hl=en

There does appear to be some Tracks visible in the Satellite image (that I traced as added tracks onto Google Map Maker), where one might be able to get into Barili Town center, using some back roads/tracks, rather than the main National Highway up the cost from Dumanjug.

We will be hungry and thirsty by this point.

Wonder if HeyMike would open up Hey Gurly in Barili for us?

For those who are interested, I propose the following:-

• Tilapia Fishing Ponds, Barili
    (You can fish for something to eat and get some Beer/Soft Drinks here (if Hey Gurly not Open, or if you prefer to eat/drink here), before, or after the 'Falls')

Give feedback as to what DATE to do this Trip, and what you think of the proposal.

Most motorcycles should be able to manage this one, so let us know if you want to join in.

Definite starter if the agreed date is after the 7th. I am sure Lee in Canada...opps Cebu will also if around. Lets hope some more interest follows, be sure bring a GPS David, love to know altitude of Vege highway. I traveled it all a while back, sure climbs...

govoner

yamaha-ybr125-roja-br-k.jpg

Other than it being a 125cc motorcycle it is a Road Bike and not designed for deep mud, loose rocks and going through rivers, but we will select some 'Trails' suitable for any Motorcycle.

Certainly your Yamaha YBR 125 is more 'suitable' for riding down dirt track roads, than my previous motorcycle - Loncin T200 'Terminator' that I bought off Robert Warren.

the YBR sold in the philippines is a trail bike with nobby tyres and trail bike suspension

maybe the above pic is the USA version

anyway i will be riding alone and weigh about 95 kilo

looking forward to it

Lee From Cebu

If we go south of Carcar to Ocana about 8kms theres a really nice road heading up and over the mountain that joins back to the Barili road a couple kms before the veg hiway .really nice ride also all paved withlots of turns and very beautiful . Tommorow if the weathers nice I,m going to go check out Mainit hot springs although I have heard there not hot but I will do a review on it tommorow.

David_LivinginTalisay

If we go south of Carcar to Ocana about 8kms theres a really nice road heading up and over the mountain that joins back to the Barili road a couple kms before the veg hiway .really nice ride also all paved withlots of turns and very beautiful . Tommorow if the weathers nice I,m going to go check out Mainit hot springs although I have heard there not hot but I will do a review on it tommorow.

Lee, sounds good alternative yo going up the Carcar- Barilli Road as I am keen to map with my GPS as many Roads as possible that Open Street Maps not currently showing.

Looks logical on the Open Cycle Map Topographical contours, that there might be a road from Ocana, heading WNW up the valley from the slopes of Mount Capilan, and then NNE up another Valley, to then join that Carcar- Barilli Road.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=10.0957&lon=123.5947&zoom=13&layers=C

hypoman

love to join you guys!

im in bohol but dont mind dragging the bike over with me to go riding.

crap weather at the moment though!

I have my xt250 i could ride and may even have my wifes hybrid tsr/rusi dirt bike ready so she could ride too! (are chick on the ride ok? or can she mellow out with the other wives if they have anything planned...)

cheers guys...

post-7757-0-78295100-1293962284_thumb.jpg

post-7757-0-07085400-1293962358_thumb.jpg

David_LivinginTalisay

OK so who is up for some Green Trail Riding - Trip #1, here in Cebu.

Trip: ................... 'The Vegatable Highway'

Options: ..............i) Via Ocana and around Mt. Capilan to Carcar-Barili Road

..............................ii) .Guadalupe Mabugnao-Mainit Hot Spring National Park (was waiting for some feedback from Lee as to this being worthwhile detour or not?)

..............................iii) *The Vegetable Highway to Dumanjug - *for sure (suitable for all motorcycles)!

..............................iv) 'Hey Gurly' or Tilapia Fishing Ponds, Barili for Food/Drink (If HeyGurly not open, then it will be Tialapia Pond

..............................v) Mantayupan Falls

Meeting Point:.. U-Rock BBQ, Carcar (can someone confirm they open for Breakfast?)

Time: .................. 9am for 10am Departure?

Date: ...................TBA?

OK those are interested please confirm agreement with the above proposal, and say what is soonest Date, that is good for you?

7th January or 9/10/11/12th Jan (I cant make 8th)

David_LivinginTalisay

There are a number of 'Modifications' I have done to my Yamaha XT225 'Serow' and a number of others that I am considering, to make it better suited for Motorcycling here in the Philippines.

Having a charged Battery on a XT225 is IMPORTANT with there being no 'Kick Start' as 'standard'!

I had been considering buying such Kickstarter Kit for my XT225 'Serow', just in case the battery does not have enough charge to start the engine and you are up a mountain stuck in a muddy rut or something, which makes 'bump starting' impossible.

I could have perhaps bought one in the UK and got my son Paul to bring it out with him, towards the end of February next year.

GYTR XT225 KICKSTART KIT

govoner

OK so who is up for some Green Trail Riding - Trip #1, here in Cebu.

Trip: ................... 'The Vegatable Highway'

Options: ..............i) Via Ocana and around Mt. Capilan to Carcar-Barili Road

..............................ii) .Guadalupe Mabugnao-Mainit Hot Spring National Park (was waiting for some feedback from Lee as to this being worthwhile detour or not?)

..............................iii) *The Vegetable Highway to Dumanjug - *for sure (suitable for all motorcycles)!

..............................iv) 'Hey Gurly' or Tilapia Fishing Ponds, Barili for Food/Drink (If HeyGurly not open, then it will be Tialapia Pond

..............................v) Mantayupan Falls

Meeting Point:.. U-Rock BBQ, Carcar (can someone confirm they open for Breakfast?)

sunday the 9th would suit me best as i come from cebu city that day has the least traffic to car car and vice versa

however i can work with the other dates

as for route i have no big preference but prefer the " road less travelled" whenever possible

where is U rock BBQ in relation to jollibee in carcar say coming from cebu city?