Sign in to follow this  
David_LivinginTalisay

Green Trail Riding in Cebu on Dual Sport Motorbike

David_LivinginTalisay

Some readers of this Forum should be aware that I bought a Yamaha XT225 'Serow' from Norkis in December 2007 for Php160K.

serow-1997-cm3-02.jpg

serow-1997-cm3-01.jpg

Some are also aware that I had a heart attack in May 2008, luckily a mild one, but it revealed I have been diagnosed as having Triple Heart Valve Disease, and the Angiogram showed one Artery with 2 x constrictions, the first of which could be treated with a 'Stent', but did not have the funds to cover that, with having already used up savings to save Sha-Sha;s Mama who had Stroke and Heart attack and needed Kidney Dialysis twice a week after that. Ana Katrina then needed an emergency Appendectomy, so are savings were gone.

My asawa, Sha-Sha did not want me riding 'green trails' up in the hills, all alone, in case I had another heart attack and could not get to the Hospital

Well it's more than 2 years since then, and I am still alive and over 20Kg lighter, so got back into riding my XT225 again (other than short rides to keep the engine turned over and the battery charged).

I have done 3 x the distance in the last 3 months, than in 2.7 Years but much of that was on the 'Peace Riders' MCC Trip to Bacolod, then the Trip to Dumaguete. I enjoyed the Dumagutte Trip more because Larry (Shadow) took us up in the hills of Valencia on some 'green trails' in places.

One of the best Bike Rides, I have been on in Cebu, was the one Mark Burnham, who also has XT225, took me and 2 other Peace Riders on.

Mark Burnham has 'mapped' a lot of 'Green Lanes', with his Garmin GPS

21052010593.jpg

21052010596.jpg

21052010595.jpg

21052010597.jpg

21052010598.jpg

Whilst I do not have my own GPS Maps of such 'Green Lane' Trails around Cebu I do have OpenSreetMaps and working on getting the OpenCycle Maps Topograhical Maps of the Philippines area, stored on my Nokia N95 using the MGMaps application feature.

http://openstreetmap.org.ph/map/c/10.316270379412684/123.82278442382812/11/

Who wants to check out as many of those Roads/Tracks The finer grey lines with me?

Or this Version of Open Street Map with NoName as Base Layer:-

http://openstreetmap.org.ph/map/c/10.316270379412684/123.82278442382812/11/

Who wants to check out as many of those Roads/Tracks The finer red lines with me?

Or this 'Topographic' Open Cycle Map as the Base Layer, showing 10m contours marking the hills one will climb

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=10.301&lon=123.88&zoom=11&layers=N

Mark Burnham should be back in Cebu on 29th December I think 'Charles' said who is also a Co-Owner of 'Rogers Place'.

Hopefully Mark will find some time out from running Rogers Place and organise some Off Road Bike Trips with a small group of Peace Riders' MCC Bikers with suitable Dual Sport motorbikes.

If you have such a Dual Sport motorcycle, consider joining in also?

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

David_LivinginTalisay

There are a number of 'Modifications' I have done to my Yamaha XT225 'Serow' and a number of others that I am considering, to make it better suited for Motorcycling here in the Philippines.

The first 'Mod' I did was the fitting of Air Horns with an Isolator Switch so they don't operate as well as the standard phone (in towns. subdivisions, or 'check points'), as they really are VERRRY LOUD @ 139dB!

The Stebel Nautilus by David G.A relative of the big trumpet-style horns you see on freeway trucks, the Nautilus combines compressor, diaphragms and a pair of high/low molded trumpets in a single assembly.

Delivering a claimed 139 decibels, this sucker isn't set to stun, it vaporizes.

Originally designed for autos, the Nautilus' one-piece feature is the main problem when it comes to installing one on a motorcycle.At 4.5 inches ( cm) wide, 4.5 inches ( cm) tall and 3 inches ( cm) deep, there are not many places you can hide it. It also weighs 1-1/4 pounds.

The package includes a relay and has a single, off-center pot metal bracket for installation

David_LivinginTalisay

There are a number of 'Modifications' I have done to my Yamaha XT225 'Serow' and a number of others that I am considering, to make it better suited for Motorcycling here in the Philippines.

Having a charged Battery on a XT225 is IMPORTANT with there being no 'Kick Start' as 'standard'!

I had been considering buying such Kickstarter Kit for my XT225 'Serow', just in case the battery does not have enough charge to start the engine and you are up a mountain stuck in a muddy rut or something, which makes 'bump starting' impossible.

I could have perhaps bought one in the UK and got my son Paul to bring it out with him, towards the end of February next year.

GYTR XT225 KICKSTART KIT

£184.64

Convert your XT225 Serrow to kickstart with this all inclusive kit.

Use it as the primary starting method and shed pounds with the removal of the electric start gubbings !

This part is to special order only.

Forget ordering from them because of the high price tag and having to Order it!

What is the Price direct from a Yamaha Dealer:-

logo_07-red.jpg

GYTR® Kick Start Kit

This kick start can be used as an auxiliary or primary engine starting system.

If used as the primary start, the electric starter system can be removed to reduce overall weight.

Fits '92~'07 XT225 and '99 TT2253RW-W0795-00-00

$158.34

boats.jpg

Yamaha 3RW-W0795-00-00 225 KICK START KIT

Part# 3RW-W0795-00-00

$131.64

You Save: $26.70

There is a grp.gif - xt225serow · XT225 Serow Riders' List

Came across this recent message on that XT225 Yahoo Group, that renewed my interest in such Kickstarter Kit:-

Message #12550

If anyone is interested then this place is doing kits for
10800 yen
which is
approx
£83
(british pounds) and
free postage for today only
, postage is normally
approx
£25-£30
. I've just ordered one.
website is
and part number is
3RWW07950000
Cheers all
Cliff

That did it for me, the Price and especially the FREE Shipping, together with being able to use the funds in my PayPal Account

Excellent http://japan.webike.net/

Order Confirmation from Webike

David Whittall

Thanks for shopping with us today!

The following are the details of your order.

------------------------------------------------------

Order Number: 1595

Date Ordered: Tuesday 21 December, 2010

Detailed Invoice:

https://japan.webike...o&order_id=1595

Products

1 x Kick Set (3RWW07950000) = 10,800yen

Sub-Total: 10,800yen

Free Shipping Options (Free Shipping): 0yen

Total: 10,800yen

Total Amount: ¥0 JPY

Net amount:-¥10,800 JPY (equals -€102.00 EUR) £86.62

€102.00 debited from my PayPal Account and already shipped

kickstart1.jpg4gyw079501-500.jpg

XT225_kickstart.pdf

Translated Instructions for fitting XT225 Kickstarter Kit

date of order December 21, 2010

yubin.gif

motto.gif

FAQs & Inquiries

Site Map

clear.gif00:14 December 30, 2010

Detailed International Mail search result

The item number searched is EM032070688JP

(EMS).

Date......Status..........................................Details.........Office/ZIP code..........................................Prefecture

Dec 22

18:42.....Posting / Collection.......................................... AOBA Branch/225-8799.................................Kanagawa prefecture

Dec 23

13:50.....Arrival at outward office of exchange ..................TOKYO INTERNATIONAL Branch/138-8799.....Tokyo metropolis

Dec 23

22:26.....Dispatch from outward office of exchange ...........TOKYO INTERNATIONAL Branch/138-8799......Tokyo metropolis

Dec 24

14:33.....Arrival at inward office of exchange ....................MANILA.........................................................PHILIPPINES

3 days later it is Manila!

What is the betting it takes another 6 days to get from Manila to Talisay City Cebu Post Office however!

David_LivinginTalisay

Having a charged Battery on a XT225 is IMPORTANT with there being no 'Kick Start' as 'standard'!

I had been considering buying such Kickstarter Kit for my XT225 'Serow', just in case the battery does not have enough charge to start the engine and you are up a mountain stuck in a muddy rut or something, which makes 'bump starting' impossible.

I could have perhaps bought one in the UK and got my son Paul to bring it out with him, towards the end of February next year.

GYTR XT225 KICKSTART KIT

David_LivinginTalisay

banner15.jpg

Re:OFFROAD RIDE SCHEDULE1 Year, 3 Months ago

ian_in_cebu

The first of 2 vids.. Will upload the longer one tomorrow as my internet connection is crap right now!

David_LivinginTalisay

JasonEcos

Looks like a lot of fun. I've been thinking off and on about getting a bike but due to some bad bike experiences in my past (I crash) I have kept putting it off.

Know of any places to get atv's / quads around here? I'd love to have one of those here (I don't crash them nearly so much) and it would be more comfortable taking 2 people.

If there was a cheap source of 600-1200cc bike motors here I would look into building a mini buggy for 2 people. Have thought about having a motor shipped over here but haven't gotten farther than thinking about it.

• Like 1

Voyager

Keep us posted if you have a ride coming up. My XR200 is feeling lonely and not used as much as it should be.

David_LivinginTalisay

Keep us posted if you have a ride coming up. My XR200 is feeling lonely and not used as much as it should be.

I think Mark Burnham will be back in Cebu, so see if he has time to organise another Off-Road Bike ride.

Failing that I want to do GPS Map of The Vegetable Highway down to Dumanjug.

Will see if I can contact Ian who took those Off Road Video's in Minglanilla to determine exactly where he rode, as I dont recognise it - perhaps Mark Burnham might know

Aaron

I'm sorry I sold my XT225 when I left Manila in 04, but I didn't think I was coming back. I modified it for more extreme offroad riding and went out with the boys in the San Mateo hills a lot. Exciting stuff, which my years off offroad racing (mt. bike) helped prepare me for.

Mainly I raised the suspension about 2 inches; other stuff more cosmetic, like Renthal bar and modified exhaust to give it more grunt. Changed the factory tires as well and of course removed the mirrors. I forget what else....

A beauty of a bike which I still miss....

rbm

David thanks for the general invite and all that info.

Yes we would love to join up now you obtained permission from Sha Sha. Just send an sms. I know of some nice trails up behind the Guadalupe church, an off road or semi off road required. They don't go more than about an hours riding how ever nice scenery, if your wanting to further reduce your weight content there are some excellent hiking tracks in this general location.

Also here is a nice well kept swimming pool, beautifully situated in capital hills, trees all around, lovely location.

Hope a few other guys are interested, seems most of the our peace riders live bit south of Cebu and a bit reluctant to come up regularly.

Lee From Cebu

I would love to join but my bikes not made for the backroads.

rbm

I would love to join but my bikes not made for the backroads.

I have seen your bike Lee and the trails I am talking about would be OK for you. You are extremely experienced and a capable rider, no problem if we took it easy

Lee From Cebu

ok i,m in when are we going

rbm

ok i,m in when are we going

Great Lee, currently in Ormoc and riding on to Camiguin so not back until about 7 January

Will touch base with David and see what we can organize, hope you get a few guys also...make a day of it. Perhaps pass the hat and fly Erik Fan back for the ride