Sign in to follow this  
TheMatrix

Blood Types Charts

TheMatrix

For future reference:

post-4645-0-89051300-1292237269_thumb.png post-4645-0-22940800-1292237275_thumb.png

Gringo69

Cheers for that, being O negative has been a bit of a worry for me in case there was an accident whilst I am travelling through Asia as there just isn't that much of it around there and we can't take any other type...

easy44

Cheers for that, being O negative has been a bit of a worry for me in case there was an accident whilst I am travelling through Asia as there just isn't that much of it around there and we can't take any other type...

Wow, I would hate to have to worry about that.

Cary

Thanks Steve

SkyMan

Thanks Steve!

Can this be pinned in the Health forum somewhere?

Looks good to me. I can accept blood from 87% of the (non-gay, non-drug using, non-diseased) population. :thumbs_up:

toshi

whats wrong with gay blood???

anyway for all to know i'm o-

Paul

Thanks Steve!

Can this be pinned in the Health forum somewhere?

Looks good to me. I can accept blood from 87% of the (non-gay, non-drug using, non-diseased) population. :scratch_head:

It's here: Blood Types Charts

Headshot

Steve, what is the source for these charts? I have always heard that receiving blood with the opposite RH factor or different type could cause toxicity (where the two types of blood try to kill each othe off), but these charts seem to say that it is OK. If you look at the second link I provided, it also has a chart, but under it, there is a disclaimer that says that the blood should always be tested first. I have to wonder if a similar disclaimer followed the charts given in this thread. Personally, I wouldn't want a transfusion to be given between different blood types or different RH factors unless an antibody test is first done (to ensure that the blood is actually compatible). Once the blood transfusion is completed, the damage will already be done and it is too late to reverse the damage. I'm not a doctor, but if the transfusion blood isn't an exact match, I would make sure the medical facility performs an antibody test before any blood is tranfused. Otherwise, the result could be fatal. To simply trust a chart (of unknown origin) could be foolhardy.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001303.htm

http://www.bloodbook.com/compat.html

SkyMan

Steve, what is the source for these charts? I have always heard that receiving blood with the opposite RH factor or different type could cause toxicity (where the two types of blood try to kill each othe off), but these charts seem to say that it is OK. If you look at the second link I provided, it also has a chart, but under it, there is a disclaimer that says that the blood should always be tested first. I have to wonder if a similar disclaimer followed the charts given in this thread. Personally, I wouldn't want a transfusion to be given between different blood types or different RH factors unless an antibody test is first done (to ensure that the blood is actually compatible). Once the blood transfusion is completed, the damage will already be done and it is too late to reverse the damage. I'm not a doctor, but if the transfusion blood isn't an exact match, I would make sure the medical facility performs an antibody test before any blood is tranfused. Otherwise, the result could be fatal. To simply trust a chart (of unknown origin) could be foolhardy.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001303.htm

You're right Bill but I this isn't exactly for DIYers. The chart should probably be taken as blood types that MAY be acceptable so if someone needs A-, people with A+ need not apply but if someone needs A+, A- might be ok. I'm sure (OK, I really really hope,) the medical staff would test whatever they use. I'm sure if you go in there and say, "My blood's ok, here's a chart from LinC that says so" they will show you the door. :)

Headshot

I'm sure if you go in there and say, "My blood's ok, here's a chart from LinC that says so" they will show you the door. :closedeyes:

I would hope so, Terry. Unfortunately, I don't think I would trust the medicos enough to just assume they will always do the right thing rather than the most expedient thing.

What really bothers me about these charts is that they show compatability in one direction but not in the other direction for two types of blood. Common sense would tell you that if two blood types react, they will react no matter what blood type the donor is and what blood type the recipient is. Why is it that somebody with AB+ can receive blood of any blood type, but people with any blood type other than AB+ cannot receive blood from somebody with AB+ blood? But...according to the charts, that is the case. Hmmmm.... Before ANY transfusion, I would want the antibody tests. If necessary, they can use blood expanders until they complete the antibody tests. At least blood expanders are a sterile solution that doesn't react with any blood type.

Wombat No More

whats wrong with gay blood???

anyway for all to know i'm o-

I'm O Neg also but I'm not much good for a donation for a while coz soon I'll be giving off more radiation than Chernobyl for a few months.

And I agree with the first part of your post... "What's wrong with..." Just ask those three butch bum bandits here to give up some red instead of white.

TheMatrix

http://www.nlm.nih.g...icle/001303.htm

Well, I didn't just make this stuff up. A simple Google search would reveal the same charts. Here's a few:

Mercy Medical Center

New Zealand Blood Services

LocalHospital.org

Blood Bank Society

Personally, I would "just say NO" to any transfusions. I would opt for coconut water just as they did during WW2 that saved hundreds of lives.

-

Edited by SteveMatrix

SkyMan

I'm sure if you go in there and say, "My blood's ok, here's a chart from LinC that says so" they will show you the door. :)

I would hope so, Terry. Unfortunately, I don't think I would trust the medicos enough to just assume they will always do the right thing rather than the most expedient thing.

What really bothers me about these charts is that they show compatability in one direction but not in the other direction for two types of blood. Common sense would tell you that if two blood types react, they will react no matter what blood type the donor is and what blood type the recipient is. Why is it that somebody with AB+ can receive blood of any blood type, but people with any blood type other than AB+ cannot receive blood from somebody with AB+ blood? But...according to the charts, that is the case. Hmmmm.... Before ANY transfusion, I would want the antibody tests. If necessary, they can use blood expanders until they complete the antibody tests. At least blood expanders are a sterile solution that doesn't react with any blood type.

That is because you are only receiving blood and not the person's entire immune system. For example, O- is called universal donor because O- blood, for some reason, doesn't upset anyone's immune system. Whereas an O- person's immune system would be upset by anything else. Of course the proper tests need to be done. But I think the threat of AIDS, hepititus or some other blood disease is a much greater danger than someone giving youan incompatible type. And yes, I mean that.

Headshot

Well, I didn't just make this stuff up. A simple Google search would reveal the same charts.

Personally, I would "just say NO" to any transfusions. I would opt for coconut water just as they did during WW2 that saved hundreds of lives.

No, I didn't think you made up the charts. I've just never understood how blood can be compatible in one direction and not the other. I know it's true, but it doesn't make sense. I guess not everything that's true has to make sense. Oh, Hell! Now I'm probably in trouble with Pete.

I knew that sooner or later you would recommend buko juice transfusions. Oh wait! You aren't recommending transfusions. You are just recommending drinking buko juice...novel approach. Drinking buko juice may increase the body fluid volume in the short-term. For me, though, buko juice makes me pee a lot. I like the taste of it, but I'm not sure it increases my body fluid long-term.

Edited by Headshot