Holiday Treats

broden

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i've found over time that most of the people on this forum eat

and knowing that perhaps many of them have their own special family favorites

we have many from a Christmas Goose (which is good even when it's not food) to my Moms fruitcake (the edible one not me) which is nothing like those deadly store bought things

but one of my very favorite is Zimtsterne which as far as i know is Norwegian in origin though some say German

we make them almost every Christmas

perhaps my favorite cookie of all kinds

thin and crispy but not hard and they just melt n your mouth

anyway i'll have to dig out the actual recipe we use sometime but i'll copy past one from the net that is pretty damn close

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups (about 8 ounces) hazelnuts or blanched almonds, finely ground
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 1/4 cup egg whites (about 2 large)
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • About 1/2 cup additional confectioners' sugar for rolling

Preperation

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.

2. Combine the nuts, cinnamon, and zest. Beat the egg whites on low speed until foamy, about 30 seconds. Add the salt, increase the speed to medium-high, and beat until soft peaks form, 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar and beat until stiff and glossy, 5 to 8 minutes. Reserve one-third of the meringue (about 1/3 cup) and fold the nut mixture into the remaining meringue.

3. Place a large piece of waxed paper on a flat surface and sprinkle with additional confectioners' sugar. Place the nut mixture on the sugar, lightly sprinkle with more confectioners' sugar, top with a second piece of waxed paper, and roll out 1/4 inch thick. Remove the top piece of waxed paper. Using a cookie cutter dipped in water, cut into 2-inch star shapes or use a sharp knife to cut into diamonds. Reroll and cut any scraps. Place on the prepared baking sheet.

4. Bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes. Spread the reserved meringue over the top of the cookies and bake until the tops are lightly colored, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool. Zimtsterne taste best if allowed to stand for 24 hours. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.

actually they taste best soon after they've cooled down

Thanks Broden,

I've never tried to make them, but I have eatten them before, just I can't recall the name we use for them here in the States, but they are very good, to that I agree totaly.

My family here is very small now, just me and my older sister, are still around these days. Not to mention, Margie and David, and my sisters husband Chet and the four grown up ( young adults) they have in their family, are still here to celebrate Christmas together.

My sister Sue and I, decided a few weeks ago, that we will continue to carry on our grandmothers and our mothers tradition of cooking a Lambs Leg for Christmas dinner. Has always been a favorite of the familys, so why change now...hehehehehe Margie will more than likely prepair a dish for herself and our son David, probably some type of Pork and of course a big pot of white rice. For sis and I, mashed potato's with the gravy we make from the lambs leg..Yummmy...

• Admin (Retired)
broden

sounds great Ned love leg of lamb

we almost always, including this year, have goose .. sometimes deep fried but this year more traditionally roasted.... but i did get a duck to toss in the deep fryer so we'll be having that too