Euro change

ArieBombarie

It's ridiculous so few outlets take these currencies.

My whole point is that if the local moneychangers could make a profit off of these currencies, then they would be taking them. Obviously there is not enough demand to justify it.

udonthani

My whole point is that if the local moneychangers could make a profit off of these currencies, then they would be taking them. Obviously there is not enough demand to justify it.

that's not the way it works here. That's the way it works in most places, but not here. Just because something isn't traded doesn't mean there's no demand for it in the Philippines. It just means that nobody has quite got round to actually getting out of bed yet and getting it done. A Vietnamese or Chinese would have done it last month. A Filipino can't quite see the point in doing it at all.

there's just no rhyme or reason to it. A hole in the wall moneychanger in Cagayan de Oro might easily take Thai baht when a brand spanking new bank in the swankiest mall in the city won't, even though it should be obvious that they should be trading in as many currencies as they can just for the sake of appearance and competence.

that's not the way it works here. That's the way it works in most places, but not here. Just because something isn't traded doesn't mean there's no demand for it in the Philippines. It just means that nobody has quite got round to actually getting out of bed yet and getting it done. A Vietnamese or Chinese would have done it last month. A Filipino can't quite see the point in doing it at all.

there's just no rhyme or reason to it. A hole in the wall moneychanger in Cagayan de Oro might easily take Thai baht when a brand spanking new bank in the swankiest mall in the city won't, even though it should be obvious that they should be trading in as many currencies as they can just for the sake of appearance and competence.

While there is a certain amount of truth to what you say, I would have to guess that many of the moneychangers in Cebu are Chinese. The fact the banks won't carry certain currencies is more evidence that there is no demand.

Edited by easy44

Most of the common currencies should be fully negotiable with the RP central bank, the question is if the money changer has an account with them, some just don't want to bother with smaller amounts.

udonthani

some banks, admittedly not all that many, you walk in there even with a hundred dollar bill and they they say they can't cash it.

LOL. Whoever heard of a bank that doesn't have somebody in there that's ready to make a bit of change selling somebody else some money?

low on pesos, I walked into this sleepy rural bank in the Camotes last week (obviously there's no ATM there) and after much ooing and aaring they eventually said they were ready to accept USD. The girl actually APOLOGISED for the really shit rate, like 'I'm sorry sir the rate is so bad'. LOL. That's like selling somebody a meal and telling them in advance that it's going to be terrible.

Hi I am interested to buy some Euros at the moment, PM me if your interested.

i have some euro if your interested..................

Hi I was unable to PM you as your new.

Please send me a PM.

regards

Good place to change any currency is behind the Chowking on Hiway/AS Fortuna, the one across Jolibee, they offered 57.70 today or HSBC if you have an account there

• 1 month later...

hello

need to purchase 5000 euro (10x 500 bills), preferable transaction in Manila first week of march 2011

please add rate

salamat

Fooda is Consolacion gives good rates for all currencies, not only USD. I have seen rates as low as 45 for the Euro in Manila which is a joke of course. Can somebody explain to me why the USD is always in favour? Is there a real demand?

Because the Dollar is still "THE" international currency. As worthless as it is these days, as long as China has more than $2-Trillion+ worth in reserve and Saudi Arabia only accepts the greenback for oil purchases, it always will be.

udonthani

Consolacion Fooda does have good rates and also accepts currencies that other places won't take, due to the bone idleness of forex dealers in the Philippines. You can sell Indonesian rupiah, and Malaysian ringgit there, ringgit they were buying at 12.5 when the departures forex desk at the airport wanted 14. You always get keener rates for US dollars than the 'others'.

I suggest you first Check on line at http://themoneyconverter.com/USD/PHP.aspx, then take your money to Alco in the RAIN TREE MALL..

I have always got the same rate that is on line .. Added Bonus if you have a Big Pile to exchange you can call and tell them.. they will give you the spot Market Value and hold your money in the back at that rate even if the spot market falls.. If you call them and they hold your money in the back you even beat waiting in line.. and He is another Bonus Free parking in the Rain Tree Mall Parking Lot if Pick up a parking Ticket while changing your moeny..