Hi Halfluke. Twice I have flown to Manila from US and stayed for 60 days, It had the arrival and departure of 60 days on the ticket and when I got to Manila I just extended my stay at immigration. The airlines did not say anything to me about how long I would be there as long as I had the return ticket. Hope this helps you.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• halfluke

• Moris

• digiteye

• Bob Ward

Why dont you want travel insurance?

I wouldn't travel in Asia without travel insurance in a million years. Its a big risk if you have an accident, get bitten by a rabid dog, ...

Why not just get a credit card where they give it for free?

That would probably do the trick.

I've forwarded the London embassy requirements to the Dublin embassy, just to show them that each embassy has different requirements, and how ridicolous they are.

Now I wonder if behind all the troubles is not something related to how you approached the embassy people....

I've forwarded the London embassy requirements to the Dublin embassy, just to show them that each embassy has different requirements, and how ridicolous they are.

Now I wonder if behind all the troubles is not something related to how you approached the embassy people....

halfluke has been a member here for a long time. Many of us have met and spent some time with him. He certainly doesn't come off as the type of guy to do that. As he previously stated, the London Embassy got him sorted the last time he got a visa to the Philippines. So, it may very well be the embassy he is dealing with there, in Dublin.

Why do you think that you would need a visa? As long as you have an outbound ticket under one year, you are clear,

Again... I'm only afraid that the airline will not allow me onboard AT MY DEPARTURE.

they can do that because they would have to take me back for free, in case immigration in the philippines refused me.

And in theory: return ticket for more than 21 days -> you need a visa

halfluke

Your concern is justified, I doubt it would happen but I wouldn't chance it. The airline can deny you boarding if your return is past 21 days with no visa, don't believe otherwise. They all have different, ever-changing policies; often deliberately vague. Why don't you call the airline and try to get a straight answer - in writing.

KeithAngel

This is my third time in 3 years never a visa but always via Hong Kong where a Brit gets 6 months automatic

Cathay this time did ask at heathrow as my ticket was for 6 months, they said 30days was the limit which shows what they know but I simply declined to augue and said I was going to Thailand end of conversation

If you very worried do your Thai thing or get a cheap single to Hong Kong throwaway with Cebu Pacific. Its about time the airlines found out the actual rules another alternative is buy a full price fully refundable from any large carrier for Korea ,Australia what ever within your 21 days from the Fils and cash it in when you arrive

A member here arrived with Cathay last week with a single ....no problem

udonthani

the Philippines is just a totally backward country. It's not the laughing stock of Asia without good reason.

issuance of visas in their Embassies and Consulates around the world is perfect illustration of this. They ask you to jump through this series of hoops just for the dubious privilege of visiting a country in which 90% of the inhabitants want to esscape - permanently.

stick your passport in the mail and send it to any Thai consulate anywhere in the world, and you'll get a visa back in about three days. That's all you have to do. And get this = you don't have to pay at the moment. If you're from a developed first world country, Thailand issues tourist visas entitling people to stay in Thailand for up to 60 days free of charge. But then they're serious about making money. The Filipinos aren't. They just want to take it, not make it.

halfluke has been a member here for a long time. Many of us have met and spent some time with him. He certainly doesn't come off as the type of guy to do that. As he previously stated, the London Embassy got him sorted the last time he got a visa to the Philippines. So, it may very well be the embassy he is dealing with there, in Dublin.

hehe thanks Paul :)

Bad feeling about this 'red tape', though. I didn't expect it

the Philippines is just a totally backward country. It's not the laughing stock of Asia without good reason.

issuance of visas in their Embassies and Consulates around the world is perfect illustration of this. They ask you to jump through this series of hoops just for the dubious privilege of visiting a country in which 90% of the inhabitants want to esscape - permanently.

stick your passport in the mail and send it to any Thai consulate anywhere in the world, and you'll get a visa back in about three days. That's all you have to do. And get this = you don't have to pay at the moment. If you're from a developed first world country, Thailand issues tourist visas entitling people to stay in Thailand for up to 60 days free of charge. But then they're serious about making money. The Filipinos aren't. They just want to take it, not make it.

Good post and unfortunately true ! except the " The Filipinos aren't " bit and I agree with "take not make".

I think they are so blinkered by making (squeezing) every cent they can screw out of visitors in fees for Visa's, landing & airport charges Etc. that they dont see the BIG picture.

Thailand and other Asian countries do.

The $'s the visitors spend while in PI are of no interest as it is not straight into Gov. coffers AND officials pockets.

Tourist spending is outside their control and benefits ordinary Citizens whom are of no concern to them - the PI Government. IMO

Edited by EAGLE
lazydays

Can't understand what all the fuss is about re:Travel insurance.

It can be bought cheaply online,and should be compulsory for all tourists.

A good example why,the recent case in Thailand,where a Brit ended up critical after an accident,his family begging charity of others to pay the hospital bills and air ambulance home =

udonthani

I did similar trips to this from the UK, the way to go is Kuwait Airways. They do like London-Kuwait-Bangkok-Manila and you can stop off in Thailand on the way there, and on the way back. I did 30 days in Thailand, 59 in Philippines, then 30 days in Thailand on the way back three times. Your onward tickets - for both Thailand and Philippines, who have more or less identical requirements - are all there, and your only visa expense is the 3,030 38 day extension in the Philippines. Only real downside is the long stopovers at Kuwait airport.

Can't understand what all the fuss is about re:Travel insurance.

It can be bought cheaply online,and should be compulsory for all tourists.

A good example why,the recent case in Thailand,where a Brit ended up critical after an accident,his family begging charity of others to pay the hospital bills and air ambulance home =

RogerDuMond

Italian citizens may enter the Philippines without a prearranged visa.

Philippine law requires that a foreign national have an onward ticket, but there is no time frame required for this ticket. In other words, it does not have to be within the original 21 day entry visa. Philippine immigration may or may not check for this ticket. They don't want someone entering the country that can't afford to support themselves or be able to afford to leave.

Airlines may or may not check for this ticket, but it is their responsibility. If for some reason the traveler is refused entry to the country and doesn't have an onward ticket, the airline is responsible for flying the traveler out at their expense and can be fined 50,000 pesos for not following Philippine immigration law.

So as long as you have a return ticket or onward ticket, you are fine.

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=37

Edited by RogerDuMond

Italian citizens may enter the Philippines without a prearranged visa.

Philippine law requires that a foreign national have an onward ticket, but there is no time frame required for this ticket. In other words, it does not have to be within the original 21 day entry visa. Philippine immigration may or may not check for this ticket. They don't want someone entering the country that can't afford to support themselves or be able to afford to leave.

Airlines may or may not check for this ticket, but it is their responsibility. If for some reason the traveler is refused entry to the country and doesn't have an onward ticket, the airline is responsible for flying the traveler out at their expense and can be fined 50,000 pesos for not following Philippine immigration law.

So as long as you have a return ticket or onward ticket, you are fine.

http://immigration.g...id=16&Itemid=37

I believe the concern of the OP is that the airline deny him boarding because his return or onward ticket is greater then 21 days and he doesn't have a visa. I have heard of this happening. I don't believe everything I read on the internet but I don't dismiss everything either. Each airline has their own arbitrary policies, who can say what rules they decide to enforce on any particular day. Best thing is to get the visa if possible. If not, call the airline.

Philippine law requires that a foreign national have an onward ticket, but there is no time frame required for this ticket. In other words, it does not have to be within the original 21 day entry visa.

Never seen this officially written anywhere...

I believe the concern of the OP is that the airline deny him boarding because his return or onward ticket is greater then 21 days and he doesn't have a visa. I have heard of this happening. I don't believe everything I read on the internet but I don't dismiss everything either. Each airline has their own arbitrary policies, who can say what rules they decide to enforce on any particular day. Best thing is to get the visa if possible. If not, call the airline.

Buying a ticket to Thailand before the 21st day... 1 week in the Land of Smile then back to the Phils. Around 250