Hi all,

after 3 years, I'm going back to Cebu.

I'm an Italian citizen. 3 years ago I was in UK, I went to London and I got my visa in 3 hours.

Now I'm in Ireland, and the embassy is new, less than 1 year old.

I went this morning to apply for a visa, with my flight ticket, passport, bank statements and so on... and they want a Travel Insurance because for them it's a requirement for a visa application (along with hotel booking or letter of invitation)

I fought for 30 minutes but no way!

Now I don't want to buy any travel insurance! Bunch of idiots...

My return ticket is after 40 days, so without a visa I wouldn't probably be allowed onboard by the airline company.

I've thought of the following solution:

buy a return ticket from Cebu to Bangkok (I want to visit Thailand anyway) so that I will not sta\y more than 21 consecutive days in the Philippines.

Like: 5th of january i'm leaving Europe, arriving on the 6th in Cebu - than ticket showing I'm leaving Cebu to Bangkok on the 25th of january, coming back to Cebu on the 2nd of February, and then on the 15th of February leaving Cebu to go back to Europe.

So that it would be 2 less than 21 days stays in the Philippines.

Do you think that would do the trick?

Thanks in advance,

halfluke

Edited by halfluke
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• halfluke

• Moris

• digiteye

• Bob Ward

dablindfrog

as a european citizen you don't need a visa to land in the philippines, then once ur in cebu just go to the Immigration office and get an extension

plain and simple

as a european citizen you don't need a visa to land in the philippines, then once ur in cebu just go to the Immigration office and get an extension

plain and simple

Without any visa you are given 21 days. Inquire at the airport about the extention & you can get it upgraded there & then to 59 days. Easy & no hassles.

no sorry, maybe you didn't get it.

The problem is not with Philippines immigration, the problem is with the airlines.

I have a return ticket, leaving on January 5th, and coming back on February 15th, that is more than 21 days.

The company might stop me from boarding the plane without a visa stamped in my passport

Regards,

halfluke

batman2525

plain and simple

Without any visa you are given 21 days. Inquire at the airport about the extention & you can get it upgraded there & then to 59 days. Easy & no hassles.

Are you saying that when I land in Cebu there is a facility at the airport to extend my visa to 59 days.

Thank you.

I have a return ticket, leaving on January 5th, and coming back on February 15th, that is more than 21 days.

The company might stop me from boarding the plane without a visa stamped in my passport

Regards,

halfluke

As long as you have a return ticket from the Philippines, you don't need to worry about the 21 days.

Don't worry at all.

Wombat No More

Go into the Philippine Dept of Immigration web site and download the relevant info on the 21 day visa free period. This is so you can take a printed copy to the airline on check in so that you can stick it up their nose, politely, and inform them that the information should be filed by them to allay future unnecessary passenger trauma like yours.

As you are coming and going to the Philippines 2 times, and both times less than 21 days, you don't need a visa as the 21 days starts over again on the 2nd visit. The only thing that you might want to check is that Italy is a country on the list for a 21 day visa free period in the Philippines?

Your idea of having an outbound ticket is good, you just produce that if asked. Make sure the schedule is within the 21 days. Btw, I have never been asked for producing any return ticket at immigration, just stamp and go. Don't worry too much.

Funny thing, I just applied for a 59 day visa in Hungary, it was done in 15 minutes, I had a pleasant chat with the cultural attache lady who eventually invited me to their regular Pinoy meeting in June after she viewed a clip of my Sinulog documentary on my iPhone. No travel insurance, no bank statement or similar was needed.

The only thing that you might want to check is that Italy is a country on the list for a 21 day visa free period in the Philippines?

Italy is an EU country, must be same procedure for all of them.

yes,

the idea of a return ticket to thailand in the middle of my stay in the philippines, is a workaround for the visa problem.

By the way, I have just called the philippines embassy in London, and they don't require a travel insurance at all (nor a hotel booking or a letter of invitation).

The lady was nice enough and she will let me know if the british consul agrees to issue a visa for me, but I still would have to fly to london (easy and cheap enough from Dublin).

I've forwarded the London embassy requirements to the Dublin embassy, just to show them that each embassy has different requirements, and how ridicolous they are.

halfluke

Edited by halfluke

Why do you think that you would need a visa? As long as you have an outbound ticket under one year, you are clear,

My brother, why did you not consult with me on the matter! LOLOLOL Relax dude!

Why do you think that you would need a visa? As long as you have an outbound ticket under one year, you are clear,

Again... I'm only afraid that the airline will not allow me onboard AT MY DEPARTURE.

they can do that because they would have to take me back for free, in case immigration in the philippines refused me.

And in theory: return ticket for more than 21 days -> you need a visa

halfluke

My brother, why did you not consult with me on the matter! LOLOLOL Relax dude!

Hi dude... I didn't expect the embassy in Dublin be such a bunch of ******

I've phoned the embassy in London, and they told me if I fly over there next week they give me a visa in 3 hours, without any crappy travel insurance... exactly like 4 years ago.

At this point, a flight to london would cost me more than a travel insurance, but I just dont want to let the idiots win.

The onward flight looks as the best option... as long as it's safe.

To be let down at the airport before a departure is definitely NOT NICE

cheers man!

I'd suggest buying a cheap throwaway ticket for a flight within your initial 21-day stay. Although I have a roundtrip ticket valid for 12 months, KLM does require evidence of a ticket out of the country within 21 days if without a visa or within 59 days if with a Visitors Visa unless you have legal residency. For your throwaway ticket, I'd suggest Tiger Airways Clark to Singapore. Cheaper than a roundtrip to London!

tom_shor

no sorry, maybe you didn't get it.

The problem is not with Philippines immigration, the problem is with the airlines.

Regards,

halfluke

I have never had that problem. As long as you have a return ticket you should be ok since you don't have to have a visa to enter the Philippines.