Sign in to follow this  
johnormoc

New Ferry Boat Service to Camotes

udonthani

you could really do with a motorbike and nobody has so far seriously addressed hiring any out to tourists, but you can easily hire a moto and driver for the day, I would imagine 500 would me more than ample. If you have any qualms about you and your girl being on the back, then forget them. There is literally no other way to get around the island(s).

roads quite good, a couple of rough spots, that's all. No traffic to worry about even in the two towns. Biggest danger is dogs in the road. You have to keep slowing down when you see any.

the lake is only about 6km from Sunset, nice to swin in, they have n

Topper

you could really do with a motorbike and nobody has so far seriously addressed hiring any out to tourists, but you can easily hire a moto and driver for the day, I would imagine 500 would me more than ample. If you have any qualms about you and your girl being on the back, then forget them. There is literally no other way to get around the island(s).

roads quite good, a couple of rough spots, that's all. No traffic to worry about even in the two towns. Biggest danger is dogs in the road. You have to keep slowing down when you see any.

the lake is only about 6km from Sunset, nice to swin in, they have n

indiana

i have a van for hire pick up and spend day exploring camotes :cooking: and if you want to ride on back motorcycles also...

udonthani

there was supposed to be somebody in Poro that rented bikes out, a Filipino. A New Yorker I met hired one from him. Also Mike at the Sunset bay resort can get someone in that Esperanza (!?) village to supply one, but it's all a bit haphazard, nobody's doing it properly. Price should be about 350 a day, 2000 a week for a 125. But I never rented a bike on the Camotes. I've either bought rented bikes over from Cebu, or from Ormoc.

donroberts

I took the Sto Nino from Poro to Cebu about 10 days ago-

Very nice clean newly refurbished banca-

We left Poro about 5:30 am, proceeded to Portobello on San Francisco Island, & left there at 5:50 AM.

the boat arrives at Ouano wharf in Mandaue which is a good location for me- close to SM & the bridges to Mactan- less traffic than going to Pier 1.

I like that the boat departs Mandaue mid day-as I don't like to get up very early or arrive late!

I'm going to Camotes tomorrow for a couple of days.

then back mid month for a week or so, as the SoliSoli fiesta in San francisco town is the weekend of march 18, 19, & 20 (I don't know what day)

Sunset Bay is a very nice place- The beach at Mangudlong is worth seeing, there's a hotel on the mountain on Poro island called 'My Little Island" that's really beautiful. It's far from all the beaches tho- I had dinner there a couple of times & enjoyed it-caveat: I haven't visited there in a few months, & I've heard business is slow for them- so I can't vouch for their service as of right now.

PM me if you are going to visit Camotes- we'll try to meet up if I'm there

donroberts

HEARSAY INFORMATION: Someone told me the Santa Nino has relocated to Palawan. I don't know if this is true- I'll be back in Camotes in June & will try to follow up. Perhaps Johnormoc can post some info, if he is reading the board & has time.

johnormoc

HEARSAY INFORMATION: Someone told me the Santa Nino has relocated to Palawan. I don't know if this is true- I'll be back in Camotes in June & will try to follow up. Perhaps Johnormoc can post some info, if he is reading the board & has time.

Hi Don,

You are correct. Here is a post I made a while back on the boat being sold:

My link

The new owner is a retiring Filipino doctor that is returning to the Phils after many years of having a practice in New Zealand. He's a very nice guy so if anyone is ever in Coron, Palawan, take the Sto Nino's dinner cruise. I plan on going over later this year to check it out myself.

It was a bitter-sweet time selling the boat. My wife and I loved it and it had tremendous possibilities but for reasons I won't post on a public web site, it became too much drama to continue operating.

donroberts

Thanks John- & thanks for the update-& I'm also sorry to hear about your experience--I've had a few myself in the 'good old islands' at my advanced age & decrepitude, I just don't let it bother me much. I've got several boats there that I'm working on- a motorsailer built by Mike Allen over in Carmen (have to get a new propeller as the boat guard stole it; & some starter problems; 2 bancas a speedboat & a fishing boat. Don't ask me why so many boats- it's like with potato chips- hard to stop with just one.

I hope to be back in Cebu & Camotes in June for a few weeks-- Hope to connect & hear more stories about your marine-life experiences-

Best Regards,

R

Paul

John (or anyone), has this service ended?

redboy

confirmed:

from the owner:

No I'm sorry. We sold the boat in March and the new owner relocated the boat to Palawan. There is another ferry that departs Ouano Wharf in Mandaue I think at 5:30 or 6 AM. The boat name is Ave Maria. I think the cost to bring a motorbike is P300.