Sign in to follow this  
johnormoc

New Ferry Boat Service to Camotes

johnormoc

There is a new Ferry Boat Service to the Camotes Islands called the Santo Nino de Cebu. The boat is a banca class passenger ferry authorized to also carry cargo. Maximum passenger capacity is 211 people. The boat travels to/from Poro and San Francisco, Camotes to Ouano Wharf in Mandaue City Wednesday - Monday and to/from Poro, Tudela, Cawit Camotes to Ormoc City on Tuesdays. Price for tickets each way is P200.

The boat previously ran the Camotes/Mandaue route up until March 2010. It was sold and the new owners had it completely refurbished to exceed all maritime safety requirements. The Coast Guard offices in Cebu City, Poro, Camotes and Ormoc City have all said it's not only the fastest banca class in the region but also the safest. Final safety inspections were passed last week and the boat has been sailing daily as of Dec 4, 2010.

The travel times are as follows:

Every Wednesday through Monday:

0500: Poro, Camotes to San Francisco, Camotes

0515: Arrive in San Francisco Camotes

0530: San Francisco Camotes to Ouano Wharf, Mandaue City

0800: Arrive in Ouano Wharf, Mandaue City

1200: Ouano Wharf, Mandaue City to San Francisco, Camotes

1500: Arrive San Francisco, Camotes

1515: San Francisco, Camotes to Poro, Camotes

1530: Arrive in Poro, Camotes

Every Tuesday

0600: Poro, Camotes to Tudela, Camotes

0630: Arrive in Tudela, Camotes

0700: Tudela, Camotes to Cawit Island, Camotes

0730: Arrive Cawit Island, Camotes

0800: Cawit Island, Camotes to Ormoc City

1000: Arrive Ormoc City, Leyte

1300: Ormoc City to Cawit Island, Camotes

1500: Arrive Cawit Island, Camotes

1515: Cawit Island, Camotes to Tudela, Camotes

1545: Arrive Tudela

1600: Tudela, Camotes to Poro, Camotes

1630: Arrive Poro, Camotes

The travel times are more friendly for folks staying over night in Camotes that need to catch a flight the next day from Mactan. Also the boat ports in Mandaue, Cebu City rather than Danao like the other bancas. Much more convenient for people who have business in Cebu City and would rather avoid the 45 minute (depending on traffic) trip from Danao to Cebu City. Anyone needing to transport any cargo or even a motorbike can use this banca rather than the more expensive fast crafts which won't ship a motorbike. It's win-win for the people of Cebu, Camotes and Ormoc with a new option for fast and safe travel that will benefit everyone.

post-7016-0-31536100-1291648088_thumb.jpg

Sto Nino Ferry Schedule.ppt

billten

Good luck with this John, Camotes is where we had our wedding blessed and it is such a beautiful place.

TALCE

Camotes is a very beautiful place just to kick-back for a few days.

I can't wait to head back for a visit next year.

Hope the new Ferry Boat Service works out.

I hated catching the fast craft from Cebu City.

Dave

johnormoc

Thanks guys. We hope it will be a successful endeavor.

udonthani

just got back from Camotes today, can confirm there's signs up in Poro port about these new services.

the times might be OK for tourists that need to get connections for flights, etc from Cebu (or Ormoc) but they're not especially good for people that work in Cebu and need to get back in front of their desks after a weekend. The 5am ferry just won't really arrive in time for somebody to get to work by 8am, even if they work in Mandaue.

a friend of ours had to get the early morning ferry on the Saturday, then had to take the last late 5.00pm daily one that runs from Poro to Danao (not Mandaue) on the next day, Sunday so she wouldn't be late for work next day, Monday. She judged that the 5am departure was just a tad too late for her to make it back to the office in time and presentable. 4am, and she could probably have managed it. Whether I'd have been as ready to take her on the motorbike from Esperanza baringay to Poro, about 30 minutes drive, at 3am in the morning rather than 4pm in the afternoon is another matter.

what is needed is some sort of night ferry from Cebu, that leaves at about 7pm on the Friday night, enabling workers in Cebu to have 2 nights on the islands instead of just one.

johnormoc

We actually considered departing Poro at 0400 for this reason but when we canvassed the people and business community who live in Camotes who most often use the bancas, they said 0400 was too early and they preferred leaving at 0500. Most of the folks who live on Camotes are in agriculture or have small stores and expressed a desire to arrive in the Mandaue City at 0800. I believe the Santo Nino is the earliest arriving boat in Cebu City from Camotes at 0800. The fast craft states that they depart Poro at 0600 but I've never seen them leave prior to 0630. Their ticketing system is very out of date and takes a long time to process all the passengers as they print each ticket with a dot matrix printer from 1980. Takes a minute or 2 to process each passenger. Plus, the fast craft is not very fast IMO. It's definitely not the Supercat. The fast craft usually arrives in Cebu City between 0900-0915 and cost P130 more for nearly the same travel time.

I think the Santo Nino also has the best time for going to Camotes at 12 noon. Better for the tourists to arrive in the afternoon when they can check into their hotels without waiting rather than the early in the morning when they can't (before noon) or in the evening when most things are closed. Also better for the residents who usually have all of their business done by that time and wish to return home in time for dinner. We tried our best to make the times convenient for the majority of people who use the bancas both as passengers and to ship cargo but obviously we can never make it perfect for everyone.

You're right about the need for a Friday night ferry out of Cebu. I'm surprised there's not one already.

Topper

just got back from Camotes today, can confirm there's signs up in Poro port about these new services.

the times might be OK for tourists that need to get connections for flights, etc from Cebu (or Ormoc) but they're not especially good for people that work in Cebu and need to get back in front of their desks after a weekend. The 5am ferry just won't really arrive in time for somebody to get to work by 8am, even if they work in Mandaue.

a friend of ours had to get the early morning ferry on the Saturday, then had to take the last late 5.00pm daily one that runs from Poro to Danao (not Mandaue) on the next day, Sunday so she wouldn't be late for work next day, Monday. She judged that the 5am departure was just a tad too late for her to make it back to the office in time and presentable. 4am, and she could probably have managed it. Whether I'd have been as ready to take her on the motorbike from Esperanza baringay to Poro, about 30 minutes drive, at 3am in the morning rather than 4pm in the afternoon is another matter.

what is needed is some sort of night ferry from Cebu, that leaves at about 7pm on the Friday night, enabling workers in Cebu to have 2 nights on the islands instead of just one.

I will be headed there in January for a few days. Do you have any recommendations for a place to stay. I'm looking for a relaxing time. Also, what can I expect to pay for a taxi from the dock to the Hotel/Resort? Thanks.

udonthani
I will be headed there in January for a few days. Do you have any recommendations for a place to stay. I'm looking for a relaxing time. Also, what can I expect to pay for a taxi from the dock to the Hotel/Resort? Thanks.

some people here would probably recommend the Santiago resort, but I wouldn't. It's switched ownership/management quite recently and they've got rid of the last of their fan rooms which were just about worth it at 1000. Now the cheapest rooms, with aircon that isn't necessary, are I think something like 1900. Might be worth considering going there on a day pass, as they've just built a brand new pool. Restaraunt is very poor for a resort of its size and scope.

for me the best option is this

http://www.sunsetbaycamotes.com/

personable UK owner, fan rooms 800, decent restaurant, not on its own beach but you can swim there. He does pick up from either Poro or Consuelo ports ; PM me for his cell number should you need it. Camotes is one place to bring your own motorbike, easy to hire one from Ancientrocka and drive it from Consolacion to Danao for the ro-ro ferry (though you can get one on the smaller banca as well).

if you are a large group I know a couple of excellent places, geared to Filipino families, close by to Sunset in Esperanza set on white sand beaches that are self catering, coming in at 1200 for large rooms, or 1500 for an entire house big enough to house about 15 people. It's fan only accommodation - only sick rich idiot Filipinos would want airconditioned accommodation beachside in a place like the Camotes.

no taxis on Camotes. In fact there's hardly any cars. The few jeepneys there are are for ferrying agricultural workers about. The only form of public transportation is motorcycle taxi.

Jeepney

some people here would probably recommend the Santiago resort, but I wouldn't. It's switched ownership/management quite recently and they've got rid of the last of their fan rooms which were just about worth it at 1000. Now the cheapest rooms, with aircon that isn't necessary, are I think something like 1900. Might be worth considering going there on a day pass, as they've just built a brand new pool. Restaraunt is very poor for a resort of its size and scope.

personable UK owner, fan rooms 800, decent restaurant, not on its own beach but you can swim there. He does pick up from either Poro or Consuelo ports ; PM me for his cell number should you need it. Camotes is one place to bring your own motorbike, easy to hire one from Ancientrocka and drive it from Consolacion to Danao for the ro-ro ferry (though you can get one on the smaller banca as well).

if you are a large group I know a couple of excellent places, geared to Filipino families, close by to Sunset in Esperanza set on white sand beaches that are self catering, coming in at 1200 for large rooms, or 1500 for an entire house big enough to house about 15 people. It's fan only accommodation - only sick rich idiot Filipinos would want airconditioned accommodation beachside in a place like the Camotes.

no taxis on Camotes. In fact there's hardly any cars. The few jeepneys there are are for ferrying agricultural workers about. The only form of public transportation is motorcycle taxi.

Any idea how much to bring a motorbike?

Is the roro Lite Ferries?

Piet.

Edited by Dutchpiet

udonthani

on the Danao-Consuelo ferry motorbikes 500 including with driver. Passengers 180 non-aircon, 200 aircon, though this being the Philippines, yesterday the aircon area was considerably warmer than it was on deck.

from Consuelo to Sunset, head straight on towards San Francisco off the ferry, take a left at the Lake Danao sign, ignore the actual Lake Danao side road turn off, keep going you reach Esepranza village and the resort is just past it on the left beach side.

johnormoc

Piet.

To bring a motorbike from Cebu City to Camotes on the Santo Nino Ferry, the cost is P200. Udonthani mentioned some good places that cater to Filipinos. The resorts on the San Francisco side (Mangodlong and Santiago Bay) cater more toward the foreigners but they also do have cheaper rooms. We stayed at the Mangodlong for about P1,200 a night and enjoyed the pool, white sand beach and restaurant. At dusk they had a local singer/guitarist playing famous Western songs (Eagles, Doobie Bros, Rolling Stones, etc) along with some Filipino music down on the beach where they had candle lit tables set up for dinner. I thought it was fantastic and the food was excellent. I believe most of the hotels and definitely the resorts will pick you up from San Francisco or Poro if you don't bring a motorbike over. Udonthani is correct when he says there are no taxis on Camotes. Very few vehicles of any sort. It's part of its charm.

Topper

Piet.

To bring a motorbike from Cebu City to Camotes on the Santo Nino Ferry, the cost is P200. Udonthani mentioned some good places that cater to Filipinos. The resorts on the San Francisco side (Mangodlong and Santiago Bay) cater more toward the foreigners but they also do have cheaper rooms. We stayed at the Mangodlong for about P1,200 a night and enjoyed the pool, white sand beach and restaurant. At dusk they had a local singer/guitarist playing famous Western songs (Eagles, Doobie Bros, Rolling Stones, etc) along with some Filipino music down on the beach where they had candle lit tables set up for dinner. I thought it was fantastic and the food was excellent. I believe most of the hotels and definitely the resorts will pick you up from San Francisco or Poro if you don't bring a motorbike over. Udonthani is correct when he says there are no taxis on Camotes. Very few vehicles of any sort. It's part of its charm.

Wow, what a great response guys. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to help me out. From what you say, it is exactly the kind of place that I am looking for.....nice and relaxing! I'm going to start checking out some of the web sites of the resorts you recommended. I especially liked the "inside" information you all supplied about how to get around the islands. Thanks again. If anyone else has any other information or recommendations on places to stay, I sure would appreciate it. :littleangel:

Edited by Topper

Cebuned

Piet.

Wow, what a great response guys. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to help me out. From what you say, it is exactly the kind of place that I am looking for.....nice and relaxing! I'm going to start checking out some of the web sites of the resorts you recommended. I especially liked the "inside" information you all supplied about how to get around the islands. Thanks again. If anyone else has any other information or recommendations on places to stay, I sure would appreciate it. :littleangel:

Mangodlong sounds like a great place to stay and I'll be sure to add that to my list of places for us to visit in the future. Thanks for all the great info here.

MrWimpy, Instead of the world changing it's schedual for your girly friend and her work, why doesn't she try to explain her situation to her work place manager, and ask for permission to come into work one or two hours later than her normal starting time. Maybe she could stay an hour or two later, to make up the difference? It's not like she does this trip on a weekly basis, is it? Always a problem in your picture, at least your consistent....hehehehehe

udonthani
MrWimpy, Instead of the world changing it's schedual for your girly friend and her work, why doesn't she try to explain her situation to her work place manager, and ask for permission to come into work one or two hours later than her normal starting time. Maybe she could stay an hour or two later, to make up the difference? It's not like she does this trip on a weekly basis, is it? Always a problem in your picture, at least your consistent....hehehehehe

haven't got much of a clue about Filipino employers have you pal. The things people like you take for granted in the west don't happen here. Filipino employers are some of the very worst you will find anywhere in the world. The request would be refused out of hand and merely asking them would be a black mark on her record.

Topper

Udonthani,

I checked out the web sites of the places that were recommended by the members who replied. It looks like Sunset Bay is the place I want to visit and relax for a couple of days. I'm going to give them a call and reserve a place in the next couple of days. Since you just got back from there, do you have any suggestions of things to do around that area? From the map I viewed on the web site, it looks like there is a fresh water lake close by. Is it worth the trip to visit?

Thanks for your reply to the original post. Looking foward to your answer.

Topper