Ice Cream Recipe

broden

• Admin (Retired)
broden

at thanksgiving i mentioned we had homemade eggnog ice cream and RetiredNavyGuy asked for the revipe

we've been tweeking this for a while and so far this is how our ice cream recipe stands

and it really does come out great

we have a 1 gallon ice cream maker

Angel of Broden's Special Vanilla/Eggnog Ice Cream

1-1/2 cups corn syrup

1-1/4 teaspoon salt

3 cans condensed milk

4-1/2 cups total of whole milk and heavy cream

6 large eggs, beaten

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

Combine corn syrup, milk, salt, condensed milk, and vanilla extract in heavy saucepan. Cook in medium-low heat until steaming (not boiling). Separate egg white from the yolks, refrigerate until ready to make ice cream. Slightly beat the yolks and slowly temper with half the cooked mixture. Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan and whisk to mix with the rest of the cooked mixture. Continue to steam until mixture is slightly thick (about 3 minutes). Refrigerate overnight. When ready to make ice cream, beat the eggwhites until soft peaks form and gently fold in chilled custard. Pour gently into the ice cream canister and start churning!

For Eggnog Ice Cream, simply reduce condensed milk to about 2 to 2-1/2 cans; replace your milk/heavy cream with a good eggnog drink and the vanilla extract with a good sprinkling of nugmeg. Both mixtures will be a bit liquidy but smooth and silky when frozen. Enjoy!

dablindfrog

i love the fact you put salt in the ice-cream, so few peoples are aware that it works wonder,

i did put a few flakes of seasalt in my dark chocolate mousse and it's just another level altogether!

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i think we've added the salt from the start .. but we do keep tweeking amounts and ingredients .. the last big change we made was the corn syrup.. we use to use regular sugar but could never get it as smooth as we wanted then we tried half corn syrup .. big difference .. finally we got rid of the regular sugar all together and wow what a difference

next time we'll slightly lesson the condensed milk and increase the heavy cream .. not much though

for Christmas we'll be making pumpkin spice ice cream

also some times when i can get a complimentary flavor right before we put the egg whites in i mic in a package of pudding powder .. i think it just punches it up a bit .. but it's far from necessary

though vanilla ice cream with orange jello powder worked out really really well

awesome orange cream flavor with out being overpowering

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i forgot we also use a little bit of orange extract in the original custard mix when we made the orange flavored one

probably not till summer or spring but then we'll be trying apple and some other flavors

sounds good. do you use a hand cranked mixer or electric? if hand cranked what kind of salt do you use on the ice? i have a handcranked mixer in the attic and recipes from my folks that i should try out.

Mandingo

That looks like a great recipe, will give it a try and let you know how it comes out.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

we use electric

and regular rock salt .. in a pinch you can use table salt but it will freeze it faster and effect the texture and consistency

our mixes takes anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour 15 just depending on recipe weather phase of the moon if we look at it funny purity of our souls on that given day but it's reall;y just the last 15 minutes that feels like forever

then you get a nice big bowl of soft serve and put the rest in the freezer to further harden

but since we've been using the whipped eggwhites and corn syrup it doesn't get hard as a rock so you don't have to let it sit out for a few minutes before you could get a spoon in to it.. now it gets nice and solid but spoonable like ice cream should be