Sign in to follow this  
David_LivinginTalisay

Fruit Drinks - no added Sugar!

David_LivinginTalisay

I like drinking BEER!

I don't like drinking LARGER or PILSEN as much!

However I have cut down on the amount of available Hop Flavoured Alcohol Beverages I consume, in my efforts to go from 115.6Kg to 95Kg.

Well I have crept back up to 96Kg so now time to get more STRICT with my DIET and get back to working out at the GYM, at least 3 x per week, and sticking to HEALTHY DIET ad I would like to reach 85kg.

A HEALTHY alternative to BEER, that is actually cheaper, is to drink these increasing number of natural Fruit Drinks appearing in the big Supermarkets.

25169_106431276054402_106429122721284_109285_3474383_n.jpg

These natural Fruit Drinks with no added Sugar or Additives in most cases, and at Php63/Liter are reasonably priced in my opinion (Php21 per 33.33ml so compare with Bottle of SMB Pilsen)

"Dimes Premium 100% fruit juice group, produced without using any additives with a fruit ratio of 100% brings you together with the indispensable flavors for a healthy life!"

</h2>

http://www.dimes.com.tr/en/UseOfMeDetails.aspx?ID=2

<h2 id="ctl00_Main_CategoryTitle">Fruits and their health benefits

Apples

Vitamins and other useful substances contained: A1, B1, B2, C and E vitamins

rfm010

i've tried the cherry flavor, reminds me of cherry pie, makes me want some vanilla ice cream to go with it. it was good but in small doses. will have to keep an eye out for the other flavors.

David_LivinginTalisay

i've tried the cherry flavor, reminds me of cherry pie, makes me want some vanilla ice cream to go with it. it was good but in small doses. will have to keep an eye out for the other flavors.

Have not tried 'Cherry' as I figured it might be too sweet, I prefer GRAPEFRUIT, to Orange and Apple and do find PINEAPPLE a bit too sweet.

Thought I would try "SOUR Cherry Nector" thinking it might be a bit 'Sour' and not 'Sweet', but I reckon it still Sweet rather than Sour. Adding the 'Gin', took away some of the sweet taste, and introduced another taste - FUN!

100% Juices

100% Apple Juice

100% Grape Juice

100% Orange Juice

100% Pineapple Juice

100% Fruitmix Juice - Red Fruits

100% Grape & Mango Juice

100% Grape & Apricot Juice

100% Grape & Sour Cherry Juice

100% Peach & Grape Juice

100% Tomato Juice

Karışık Meyveler %100

Nectars

Peach Nectar

Sour Cherry Nectar

Apricot NectarOrange Nectar

Pomegranate Nectar

Fruitmix Nectar

Red Fruits Nectar

Orange Fruits Nectar

Yellow Fruits Nectar

Dimes Life

Quince Nectar

Light Fruitmix Nectar

Light Red Fruits Fruitmix Nectar

Pomegranate Juice

100%Grape-Rosehip Juice

100%Peach-Red Carrot Nectar

Other

Benefits of Fruits

The interest in red carrot is not in vain

Benefits of Fruit Juices

Fruit Juices are Indispensable with the Energy, Vitamins and Minerals Contained!Why Should We Consume Fruit Juice and Nectars?

Nourishment Rules

Golden Rules in NourishmentImportance of Balanced Nourishment10 Fundamental Rules for Healthy Nutrition

Fruit Juice Production

Drinking Fruit Juice is Easier than Eating Fruit for ChildrenWhen Buying Fruit Juices …The Journey of Fruit Juice...

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

Hamm

Have not tried 'Cherry' as I figured it might be too sweet, I prefer GRAPEFRUIT, to Orange and Apple and do find PINEAPPLE a bit too sweet.

Thought I would try "SOUR Cherry Nector" thinking it might be a bit 'Sour' and not 'Sweet', but I reckon it still Sweet rather than Sour. Adding the 'Gin', took away some of the sweet taste, and introduced another taste - FUN!

100% Juices

100% Apple Juice

100% Grape Juice

100% Orange Juice

100% Pineapple Juice

100% Fruitmix Juice - Red Fruits

100% Grape & Mango Juice

100% Grape & Apricot Juice

100% Grape & Sour Cherry Juice

100% Peach & Grape Juice

100% Tomato Juice

Karışık Meyveler %100

Nectars

Peach Nectar

Sour Cherry Nectar

Apricot NectarOrange Nectar

Pomegranate Nectar

Fruitmix Nectar

Red Fruits Nectar

Orange Fruits Nectar

Yellow Fruits Nectar

Dimes Life

Quince Nectar

Light Fruitmix Nectar

Light Red Fruits Fruitmix Nectar

Pomegranate Juice

100%Grape-Rosehip Juice

100%Peach-Red Carrot Nectar

Other

Benefits of Fruits

The interest in red carrot is not in vain

Benefits of Fruit Juices

Fruit Juices are Indispensable with the Energy, Vitamins and Minerals Contained!Why Should We Consume Fruit Juice and Nectars?

Nourishment Rules

Golden Rules in NourishmentImportance of Balanced Nourishment10 Fundamental Rules for Healthy Nutrition

Fruit Juice Production

Drinking Fruit Juice is Easier than Eating Fruit for ChildrenWhen Buying Fruit Juices

abw

You're not going to lose much weight drinking lots of fruit juice. 100% juice or not, they still contain lots of sugar and calories. Best eating whole fruit for the vitamins and drinking water to quench your thirst.

Andrew

Cipro

You're not going to lose much weight drinking lots of fruit juice. 100% juice or not, they still contain lots of sugar and calories. Best eating whole fruit for the vitamins and drinking water to quench your thirst.

Andrew

I was going to say the same thing. Real fruit is filling because it has a lot of fiber and so on. Juice, while delicious, is still basically sugar water with vitamins.

Wombat No More

[

However I have cut down on the amount of available Hop Flavoured Alcohol Beverages I consume, in my efforts to go from 115.6Kg to 95Kg.

Only jokin mate but.... How much is DIMES company paying you for the free plugs?

Anyway, back to the real topic, your excess weight, something that most of us (except Filipino's living in the Phil's it seems) struggle with from time to time or all the time... hmmmm!

I think I remember you David, saying something about shoe sizes back a bit and I think you said you were of a height 5'7" or something like that??? I could be very wrong, just trying to remember, which is not a strong point with me.

The height would indicate that your 'Body Mass Index' (BMI) should reveal perhaps an ideal weight of maybe between 60 and 65kg (without looking it up).

If this is the case, then 95 kg is still very much into the 'obese' range. You would need to be, (from memory?) about 6' 4" for a healthy weight of 95kg. I'll have a look and get back on this one. I'm 181cm and my ideal (feel most comfortable and fit at) weight of 84kg, with a 'heavy frame' classification, (found by measuring across the bony part of the wrist) puts me at slightly overweight. I'll go down my burrow and have a check of it all now, seeya, Phil.

post-6386-023640800 1291413001_thumb.jpg

Ozepete

Thanks for the post David, but how did you get from 115K down to 95?

Wombat No More

Righto, back again David....

Your BMI index should not be more than 25 to fall into the normal range. 25 to 30 = overweight and a reduced life expectancy. Over 30 is obese and frankly, is dangerous to you (and others around you if you are pissed :cheers: )

At a height of 5'4", 95kg puts you at 35.9 BMI

" 115kg puts you at 43.3 "

The upper limit for a man 5'4" is 67kg before being 'overweight

The lower limit is 55kg before being 'underweight'.

5'7", 95kg = 32.9 BMI

" 115kg = 39.8 "

Upper limit for a man 5'7" is 73kg

The lower limit is 60kg.

5'11" 95kg = 29 BMI

My height and weight is 5'11" and 88kg = 26.9 BMI = marginally overweight

My desired weight is 84 kg and also = marginally overweight

And I agree with ABW in that drinking lots of fruit juices is not the way to go. Besides that, much of the vitamin content is lost during processing and the inherent 'oxygenisation' of the juice.

EVERYTHING in moderation mate and get a food fat counter book and reduce the fat intake to say, 40gm per day and once you get down to a desired weight in the 'normal' range, don't go over 60 gm/day unless you are doing strenuous activity. As for me, I often drop my fat intake to 20 grams /day until desired weight achieved and don't often get over 60 in normal times unless stressed.

For example, a Macca's meal with burger, large fries, apple pie, would put you at over 50 gm of fat for the day. If you drink milk, the fat content in milk (4%) is treated by the body differently and is the equivalent of 8% in reality. One litre will give you maybe the equivalent of 80gm of fat? Drink skim.

Ooroo mate and all you other mugs! EAT MORE FRUIT, VEGIES, WHOLE GRAINS

post-6386-007378200 1291417723_thumb.jpg

Edited by WombatPhil

David_LivinginTalisay

Andrew

I was going to say the same thing. Real fruit is filling because it has a lot of fiber and so on. Juice, while delicious, is still basically sugar water with vitamins.

You are right!

As per any DIET, you have to watch the CALORIES.

The point I was trying to make is that SODAS like COKE, SPRITE etc should not be part of your liquid consumption, because of the added SUGAR (or the even worse Sugar Substitutes like HFCS or Aspartame etc) not to mention the Acidity.

Best to drink WATER, or Geen Tea, which I do - about 6 times the amount of any Fruit Juice I drink per day.

Then there is Coconut Water that Steve Matrix advocates, that is also very healthy liquid to consume.

Ideally if you want to drink Fruit Juice it should be made yourself from the Fruit using a Juicer, but how many of us actually bother doing that?

Here is the ADVICE / INFORMATION om why these Fruit Juices are not as good for you as the Companies Marketing them would have you believe:-

[/url]

David_LivinginTalisay

Thanks for the post David, but how did you get from 115K down to 95?

I am sure I have posted this before on the Forum.

David_LivinginTalisay's Content

There have been 394 items (16 Pages) by David_LivinginTalisay

(Search limited from 04-December 08)

Please read this Topic Overweight: Diet will improve your Health and reduce Risks

These also contain some useful info:-

DIET and EXERCISE is the answer.

It is not just about the CALORIES but it is what FOODS /Drinks make up those Calories that is important!

Stay off the alcohol, avoid SUGAR and HFCS etc and eliminate or drastically reduce WHEAT products, and DAIRY.

Consume GOOD FATS (like VCO) and AVOID /Elimate BAD FATS like margarine, Canola.

EAT plenty of fresh VEGETABLES, FRUIT, and FISH

Drink plenty of Water containing Minerals (rather than Distilled or Reverse Osmosis processed)

Organic Raw Milk is good if you can get it, as is Organic Free Range Eggs.

White meat like Chicken, Turkey, is better than Red Meats like PORK. If you want a STEAK have it Rare or Medium Rare to preserve much of the good enzymes

However I was 115.6Kg when I had my Heart attack in May 2008, and when I started at Fitness First near the beginning of September I was over 109Kg (about 240lbs).

So my Exercise, plus Diet, was working, as I did lose over 8Kg (18lbs) in 11 weeks to get down to 101kg,

Weight loss after that, tailed off somewhat, as I got down to 96.5Kg and then I stopped going to Fitness First.

Buying "Cheat Your Way Thin" explained how ones body starts to store FAT once there is 'trend' of reduced Calorie intake (like Winter coming so make FAT reserves to last us until Spring), so one has to 'trick' you body into thinking it Spring Time, by eating normally and taking 'Day Off' from your Diet, typically once per week.

OK I admit it. I have been having more than one day off per week recently - all these damn Birthday Parties I have been invited to.

Jim Sibbicks Birthday is on December 8th, so hope he is not in Cebu for that?

So am now a Club Ultima Member and have started using the Gym there and the Swimming Pools, so need to get back into a Routing of going 3 x Week like I was doing @ Fitness First.

Those of us (myself included) that are overweight, obese (BMI >30), do have increased risk of Heart Attck and Colon Cancer etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...lator/bmi.shtml

Calculate your BMI

Body frames vary and it's difficult for any simple measurement to work out a person's frame. It's more accurate to recommend a weight range, rather than a specific weight for a given height.

To calculate your BMI select your correct height and weight and let the BMI calculator do the rest.

BMI will vary slightly according to gender.

If you'd like to calculate your BMI yourself, follow these three steps.

• Work out your height in metres and multiply the figure by itself.
  • Measure your weight in kilograms
  • Divide the weight by the height squared (ie. the answer to Q1). For example, you might be 1.6m (5ft 3in) tall and weigh 65kg (10st 3lb). The calculation would then be:

1.6 x 1.6 = 2.56. BMI would be 65 divided by 2.56 = 25.39.

Waist measurement

BMI alone is not a good guide to who is at most risk of obesity and cardiovascular disease.

Instead, waist circumference may be a much more accurate measure of future health problems because what matters is where you carry your excess kilos/pounds.

People who are an apple shape - they store fat around their midriff - are far more likely to develop heart disease and diabetes than those who are a pear shape or more diffusely plump.

A waist circumference greater than 80cm (32in) for women and 94cm (37in) for men indicates increased risk, while a measurement of more than 88cm (35in) for women and 102cm (40in) for men is particularly worrying.

Waist-hip ratio

An even better measurement of risk may be the ratio of your waist circumference (the narrowest point on your abdomen) to your hip circumference (the widest point).

A ratio of more than 1.0 for a man (in other words your waist is bigger than your hips) or 0.8 for a woman means you urgently need to reduce your weight and increase your levels of exercise.

Dr Rob Hicks last medically reviewed this article in October 2005.

First published in May 2001.

@ 166cm and 95Kg, my BMI is 34.5

I used to be wearing 42" Waist trousers after my heart attack, but can now fit in an old pair of Levi's that are 36" waist (well that is what the label says!). OK so I can just about fasten the button, but not comfortably and not much 'slack' to get my hands in my pockets, so need to lose more weight until I can sensibly wear these old Levis.

40" Wranglers seem very loose however, and if not wearing a belt, can remove them without undoing the button, My waist is smaller than my hips by about 3". I can't wear [email protected]" shorts without a belt as they just fall down now.

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

Set a realistic "Ideal Weight" goal for your body,

Try to Feel Good about yourself even if you are overweight.

Did you know: Almost all "ideal body weight" websites use obsolete formulas or tables created in 1979 or earlier.On this page: Learn what people just like you think about their ideal weight.

Then: Set your own diet goal somewhere between a medically-recommended weight and a weight that your peers would hope for.

Peoples Choice Ideal Weight:This shows the average weight that otherpeople of your Age, Height, Weight and Genderwould describe as their ideal weight.

I am not aiming for 79Kg to my next 'Goal' having got under 100Kg (or lower like 69Kg?), but 82Kg, that will take me below a BMI of 30 and want to get there before my 56th Birthday in April 2011

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

Cipro
The point I was trying to make is that SODAS like COKE, SPRITE etc should not be part of your liquid consumption, because of the added SUGAR (or the even worse Sugar Substitutes like HFCS or Aspartame etc) not to mention the Acidity.

As for acidity, juice and soda are about the same:

"Here are some other common juices and their ph values from the USDA:

Apple Juice 3.35 - 4.00

Apricot Nectar 3.78

Grape Juice 3.4

Pineapple Juice, canned 3.30 - 3.60

Prune Juice 3.95 - 3.97

Lime Juice 2.00 - 2.35

Guava nectar 5.50

Grapefruit Juice, canned 2.90 - 3.25"

As for sugar, it's again about the same. Grape juice (which a lot of these 100% juice drinks use as a majority base) is actually chock full of sugar, way more than most soda. I prefer non-caloric drinks with Sucralose as a sweetener, but then some people feel bad about non-caloric sweeteners.

KennyF

Here's something that you should be aware of.

In Thailand and I believe the Philippines and perhaps other countries, a product marked 95% apples MUST contain EXACTLY 95% apples, usually weight for weight or volume for volume and even sometimes weight for volume (marked w/w, v/v or w/v).

BUT

Something marked 100% is allowed a leeway of up to 10%. And there is sure to be some kind of preservative in there too.

I guess it's a bit like the USA where if Olive Oil is marked "First Press" it MUST be first press.

But Oil marked "Extra Virgin" can be anything. (true, USA don't have true EVOI it's just ordinary oil).

NO ADDED SUGAR. 100% FRUIT.

Sure, put apples in a can, top up with pear or apple juice and there you go, 100% fruit, but the sugar content is still WAY too high.

If you want fruit, eat the whole fruit, not just the juice.

I eat 1 mango, 1/2 papaya, 1/2 dragon fruit and one banana covered in homemade yogurt as my every day breakfast.

The best drink in the world is plain old mineral water. Actually, I boil tap water here on Phuket rather than buy it.

KinP

Wombat No More

I am not aiming for 79Kg to my next 'Goal' having got under 100Kg (or lower like 69Kg?), but 82Kg, that will take me below a BMI of 30 and want to get there before my 56th Birthday in April 2011

That wouldn't be April the 1st would it mate?

Did I waste my time on you David or was some of that stuff actually of value? I thought I was being helpful? No worries, others may have a use for the info.

David_LivinginTalisay

Did I waste my time on you David or was some of that stuff actually of value? I thought I was being helpful? No worries, others may have a use for the info.

Wombat Phil

I am 166cm tall now (used to be 169cm, when I was 21, but my Scoliosis must be getting worse, causing me to get shorter)

My wrist measures 7.5" around (3.5" across)

Limitations and shortcomings

395px-Correlation_between_BMI_and_Percent_Body_Fat_for_Men_in_NCHS%27_NHANES_1994_Data.PNG
magnify-clip.pngThis graph shows the correlation between body mass index (BMI) and percent body fat (%BF) for 8550 men in NCHS' NHANES 1994 data. Data in the upper left and lower right quadrants show some limitations of BMI.[16]

The medical establishment has generally acknowledged some shortcomings of BMI.[17] Because the BMI formula depends only upon weight and height, its assumptions about the distribution between lean mass and adipose tissue are not always exact. BMI sometimes overestimates adiposity on those with more lean body mass (e.g., athletes) while greatly under-estimating excess adiposity on those with less lean body mass. A study in June, 2008 by Romero-Corral et al. examined 13,601 subjects from the United States' Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III) and found that BMI-defined obesity was present in 21% of men and 31% of women. Using body fat percentages (BF%), however, BF%-defined obesity was found in 50% of men and 62% of women. While BMI-defined obesity showed high specificity (95% of men and 99% of women presenting BMI-defined obesity also presented BF%-defined obesity), BMI showed poor sensitivity (BMI only identified 36% of the men and 49% of the women who presented BF%-defined obesity).[16]

Mathematician Keith Devlin and a restaurant industry association The Center for Consumer Freedom argue that the error in the BMI is significant and so pervasive that it is not generally useful in evaluation of health.[18][19][20][not in citation given] University of Chicago political science professor Eric Oliver says BMI is a convenient but inaccurate measure of weight, forced onto the populace, and should be revised.[21]

A study published by JAMA in 2005 showed that "overweight" people had a similar relative risk of mortality to "normal" weight people as defined by BMI, while "obese" people had a higher death rate.[22]

In an analysis of 40 studies involving 250,000 people, patients with coronary artery disease with "normal" BMIs were at higher risk of death from cardiovascular disease than people whose BMIs put them in the "overweight" range (BMI 25