Did I just get Ripped Off?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Its not free but its a I will pay you this much ??? you want what ??? ok this much... dam steve first the 13 th month and now this you better hire one of big robs executive assistants .... (( butt kissers.

Our Executive Assistants are only $750 a month. The butt kissing portion can be added ala carte...Only USD$50 for each peck on the ass. (Also a 25% Whitey Tax on top of that).

:not_see: BigRob is the Whitey Tax on your Executive Assistants negotiable? :biggrin_01:

only upwardly

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheMatrix

• broden

• DeezNuz

• EAGLE

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not free but its a I will pay you this much ??? you want what ??? ok this much... dam steve first the 13 th month and now this you better hire one of big robs executive assistants .... (( butt kissers.

Our Executive Assistants are only $750 a month. The butt kissing portion can be added ala carte...Only USD$50 for each peck on the ass. (Also a 25% Whitey Tax on top of that).

:not_see: BigRob is the Whitey Tax on your Executive Assistants negotiable? :biggrin_01:

The male Executive Assistants may give you a slight discount...depends on your negotiating skills.

did you get ripped off? well, did someone hold a gun to your head and force you to pay? if you were willing to pay it then it must have been worth it to you even if you'd have been happier getting a better price. i think i may use your question as an example in tomorrow's class lecture on consumer surplus and asymmetric information. what with you being in finance, i would expect you to be familiar with the concepts. someone dealing with multi-million sales and having a lawyer should have had this information on appropriate fees before approaching the notary.

"Did I just get Ripped Off? 45,000 Pesos for a notary"!

Such a Question ??

Tut Tut,

about a Notary, (closely related to Bankers, Realtor's & Politicians)

Tut Tut

Such upstanding Pillars of Society.

They, anywhere - any Country, make the scheming'st Whore look like an Amature.

Edited by EAGLE
Gorilla Stench

thats it negotiating skills, or lack of

But what would I know, I just live in a trailer park.

Is there a lawyer in the house?

Being stung P45k for a simple notary seems to be very excessive. This is scary stuff if the Pro's in Cebu are going to charge like that just for a stamp and witness signature.

Perhaps there is a lawyer or someone with legal services contacts here at LinC, who could post a typical list of fees.

It would be handy as a guide since the suggested fee in this case has seen to be between 45k and 6k, suggesting a blatant rip-off.

If I were you Steve, I would cancel that check.

The 'Contract in Law" (Offer - Acceptance) is finalized . To cancell the Cheque is a No No! IMO

"Caveat Emptor"

Edited by EAGLE
TheMatrix

did you get ripped off? well, did someone hold a gun to your head and force you to pay? if you were willing to pay it then it must have been worth it to you even if you'd have been happier getting a better price.

Are you suggesting that those that get over-charged have guns to their head and forced to pay? I have never seen such an incidence in my life, but I guess it can happen to some. :biggrin_01:

i think i may use your question as an example in tomorrow's class lecture on consumer surplus and asymmetric information.

I think it is quite normal to wonder if you were excessively charged after a large transaction of any type, no?

what with you being in finance, i would expect you to be familiar with the concepts. someone dealing with multi-million sales and having a lawyer should have had this information on appropriate fees before approaching the notary.

Sorry, but no, I am not familiar with the concept of paying a fee which is equivalent to 1% of a real estate transaction for a rubber stamp from a notary public when I have been accustomed to this service being FREE in the past... but I do understand that past results are not indicative of future results.

did you get ripped off? well, did someone hold a gun to your head and force you to pay? if you were willing to pay it then it must have been worth it to you even if you'd have been happier getting a better price.

Are you suggesting that those that get over-charged have guns to their head and forced to pay? I have never seen such an incidence in my life, but I guess it can happen to some. :biggrin_01:

i think i may use your question as an example in tomorrow's class lecture on consumer surplus and asymmetric information.

I think it is quite normal to wonder if you were excessively charged after a large transaction of any type, no?

what with you being in finance, i would expect you to be familiar with the concepts. someone dealing with multi-million sales and having a lawyer should have had this information on appropriate fees before approaching the notary.

Sorry, but no, I am not familiar with the concept of paying a fee which is equivalent to 1% of a real estate transaction for a rubber stamp from a notary public when I have been accustomed to this service being FREE in the past... but I do understand that past results are not indicative of future results.

Where I live you pay a fortune for a notary. But most of what you pay is actually paid as tax to the government, and the notary doesn't get that much himself.

But I dont live in the Philippines. However if they do use the same system, why not just sit back and enjoy the moral glow of having done your duty as a law abiding member of the public instead of cursing that you weren't able to work a tax evasion scam.

TheMatrix

Where I live you pay a fortune for a notary. But most of what you pay is actually paid as tax to the government, and the notary doesn't get that much himself.

But I dont live in the Philippines. However if they do use the same system, why not just sit back and enjoy the moral glow of having done your duty as a law abiding member of the public instead of cursing that you weren't able to work a tax evasion scam.

Thanks for your comment, but none of the 45k I paid goes to the gov't. No taxes. nada, zip! I inquired, and all of it will go straight to the notory's pocket. Ouch!

What country is that you're from which costs a fortune for a notary?

I'm attempting to re-negotiate the 45k now since I am now armed with the Manila attorney offer to do it at 6k.

JohnFromTexas

Good luck with that steve. In the future there is an easy way in the philippines to determine if someone is overcharging you. You say no right away and start to walk away. If the person is overcharging they will quickly lower their offer so they don't lose their business. If you ever feel like you are being overcharged for something you gotta do it. And don't just take their first offer when they lower it usually they are still going to try to overcharge you just not so much. :)

TheMatrix

Good luck with that steve. In the future there is an easy way in the philippines to determine if someone is overcharging you. You say no right away and start to walk away. If the person is overcharging they will quickly lower their offer so they don't lose their business. If you ever feel like you are being overcharged for something you gotta do it. And don't just take their first offer when they lower it usually they are still going to try to overcharge you just not so much. :)

Thanks John for the advice, but it was one of those awkward moments where I was not in a position of strength since this was the closing for a real estate deal I did a year ago. My hands were fairly tied with using this guy since he put the whole deal together in the first place... and the three people with me (my attorney, friend, and the seller) were all saying that the 1% was a normal and standard fee. I was yelling, but I definitely was not in a good position. =(

Are you suggesting that those that get over-charged have guns to their head and forced to pay? I have never seen such an incidence in my life, but I guess it can happen to some. :)

i guess the question here is: were you charged a legally incorrect fee? if so you were ripped off. if not, but you willingly paid it, you were not ripped off in the legal sense. you simply paid more than you preferred because you feel you could have gotten a better price elsewhere. but you weren't willing to make the effort to find a better price, so it seems you ripped yourself off.

more business-savvy to wonder BEFORE the large transaction, yes?

and yet you willingly went ahead with the transaction... in the presence of your lawyer who advised you it WAS in fact customary.

Thanks John for the advice, but it was one of those awkward moments where I was not in a position of strength since this was the closing for a real estate deal I did a year ago. My hands were fairly tied with using this guy since he put the whole deal together in the first place... and the three people with me (my attorney, friend, and the seller) were all saying that the 1% was a normal and standard fee. I was yelling, but I definitely was not in a good position. =(

thought you said all you got from the guy was a rubber stamp. now you are saying he's the one who put together the multi-million deal? maybe he's the one being ripped.

what if the seller of the real estate is now feeling he received too little and was ripped off? you going to give him extra now? if you were legally overcharged blame it on your lawyer. you said he was there and he claimed it was standard. if you feel you could have gotten a better price, maybe your lawyer should have alerted you to that fact also, but again, if it was worth your while, you should have taken the time to shop around. price elasticity in the very short run is rather inelastic...

I paid 1% when I bought my lot in Naga. He was my cousin's lawyer whom I bought the lot. We under valued the sales contact.

It was a small firm whose bulletin board was full of cases. He made us sit down and discuss the contract point by point and that we agreed to each item.

He was the most expensive lawyer I've used.

P45,000 isn't really not that much money. Maybe you can talk him into giving some luvin on the side to make up for the over-charge.

TheMatrix

I'm stuck with the charge. It was in the contract (1% for Notary), a year ago when I agreed and signed it. Oh well, live and learn.