Wikileaks

Ricky

Wikileaks has now started publishing the Confidential and Secret Cables between US Embassies and the US State Department. It looks like this could get quite interesting. It will be interesting to see the 2036 cables coming from the US Embassy Manila have to say about the government and politicians here!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InternetTough

• broden

• til

• RogerDuMond

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i think the guy that runs the show over at wikileaks, if not several others, is going to eventually find himself salvaged

This is wrong and dangerous. Whether you agree with a given country's policies or not, they need to say things in private about others so they can function. This will open a can of worms that can never be closed.

I agree; all governments have honest and frank discussions in confidence about what they percieve another country is doing. I agree with wikileaks highlighting issues during the war (which I wholy blame on the government and senior military officers, not the jarheads), but this does seem a stretch too far.

it will be interesting to see what happens because of this, but it will most certainly destroy some international relations.

Shit like this being released is how wars are started.

Incidentally, what is so secret about the politicians and government in the Philippines?

I mean, what makes it so much different than other governments around the world?

As far as I can see, the only difference to be noticed, is the corruption here is in the open, rather than being hidden as it is in other countries, like the US, for example.

EDIT: Let me make something very clear, here. I am not bashing the US, only using it as an example, one of many around the world. Do not begin bashing the US in this thread.

So far rather than a bombshells all I've read of these leaks so far is a lot duds...

How does he get access to these documents? I can see all Governments wanting tighter control of the internet because of things like this. I hope they didn't say anything bad about that lovely country North Korea. I did hear that the Saudi's wanted someone to do Iran before it got nuclear capabilities they were not saying nice things about Iran. Maybe the next war will be a mass war of every country fighting every other country because of this.

JohnFromTexas

A US Soldier with access to the diplomatic computers snuck them out. IMO this is treason and he should get the highest punishment. But I'm sure he won't.

RetiredNavyGuy

WikiLeaks is pond scum. However, the sources for this stuff should be nailed to the wall...not just the PFC who downloaded the stuff, but the people who gave him access, and idiots who designed this "secure system" to begin with. Dry up the sources and Wikileaks would be out of business

softail

"Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has a new warrant out for his arrest in Sweden, over earlier charges of rape, sexual molestation, and unlawful coercion of two women. The charges against Assange, announced in August, were dropped then renewed. Assange says he is innocent."

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/46537/

This guy is going to be setup successfully sooner or later and made an example of.

Doug and Sally

Ozepete

"Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has a new warrant out for his arrest in Sweden, over earlier charges of rape, sexual molestation, and unlawful coercion of two women. The charges against Assange, announced in August, were dropped then renewed. Assange says he is innocent."

http://www.theepocht...ent/view/46537/

This guy is going to be setup successfully sooner or later and made an example of.

Doug and Sally

Quote: This guy is going to be setup successfully sooner or later and made an example of.

And the sooner he and his suppliers are buried, the better. Lives will be lost so this mongrel can profit.

If they get him if they have not already, throw away the key. Again this is wrong. This is dangerous. Does he think the rest of the world is jumping up and down say, we are all friends now?

A US Soldier with access to the diplomatic computers snuck them out. IMO this is treason and he should get the highest punishment. But I'm sure he won't.

I don't critize Wikileaks for it's previous War stuff, because that was pretty horrific, and he US Government has a lot to answer for with the way it's troops have been on the ground. Some of that did need to be exposed, because of the ridiculous denials of the truth by politicians and senior military. To be honest the US and the British to some extent made a major cock up in that war.

The difference with this diplomatic stuff, is that it's not really going to achieve anything but destroy relationships, it's questionable whether anything actually important will come out of this.

I disagree. I think that all the diplomats of any importance on the world stage, pretty much know or can imagine what is being said behind the scenes. Nobody is going to be shocked, except for maybe political purposes, by what has been released. After the initial fake responses, everything will go back to normal, and the diplomats will continue to make the same sort of comments or evaluations among themselves.

JohnFromTexas

They already got the guy who did it and he confessed willingly to doing it because he thought the information should be out there. He also didn't care what the consequences would be. I hope he he gets life or death so he realizes the consequences of his stupidity.

ricky i agree with you that some of the stuff needs to be exposed, but I'm not sure exposing it to the whole world is the best way to go. A good example is the original wikileaks video of the guys in the helicopter killing civilians and a journalist accidentally. Wikileaks played it up as an intentional assault against civilians, but if you watch the video and listen to the soldiers communications it's clear they thought the guys were enemy soldiers even if they were wrong. Things like this DO need to be found out about and dealt with and corrected by those in a position to do so -- but broadcasting it to the world is just negative publicity. If those in a position to do so do not deal with it, then i think there's some justification for releasing this... but if not then it's just treason. It's a war and both accidents and excesses like this happen in every war. When they do they should be dealt with - but people using them to pretend the US is intentionally slaughtering civilians and giving enemies of the US free propaganda is just wrong too.