Sign in to follow this  
udonthani

Sailor's Cabin lodge, Balamban

udonthani

http://www.sailors-cabin.com/english/english.htm

the website doesn't do this place justice. I would go as far as to say this is the best value for money self-catering accommodation I have seen anywhere in the Philippines.

all apartments are airconditioned, with kitchens, hot plates, refridgerators, and cable tv. There's a dining area in each that seats 4, and all have seperate, proper bedrooms. The 2 person apartments are not studios, but large lounges with attached kitchens and seperate bedrooms. They each have outdoor areas with lines to hang and dry clothes.

prices

1 bedroom apartments for 2 people - 600 + power

2 bedroom apartments for 4 people - 950 + power

3 bedroom apartments for 6 people - 1050 + power

there's also one apartment for two people that costs 800, but I'm not sure what the difference is between that and the 600 ones. Maybe it's just bigger.

utensils are supplied free with no deposit, though you might have to ask for the odd fork, spoon, cup or glass from the restaraunt.

the restarauant itself is keenly priced and the pinoy meal we had last night, a pancit noodles and sinigang soup was excellent and pretty inexpensive only 140 and easily enough for two people. Set lunches and dinners come in at 150 for apartment renters, but haven't tried them.

the western style breakfasts didn't seem to be quite so good judging from the reactions of some the diners at the lodge following Keith's party last night - but what else do you expect in the Philippines when it comes to breakfasts?

there's a karaoke bar attached to the lodge, and while that may not be to everyone's taste, it is at least soundproofed so as not to disturb anybody but the very lightest of sleepers in the closer apartments. I would guess it's totally inaudible to those furthest away. There is not an all that great selection of songs however. Prices are good. Only 30 for an SM. Singing is free to customers.

grounds spacious and attractive. There's two monkey cages any kids will like, and room enough in fact for a sizable swimming pool.

other amenities not so good. The sari saris in the immeadiate area are very poorly stocked, though they do at least sell SM Grandes for between 63 and 70, though with the small SM's from the resto only 30 that is not such a very pressing issue. Neither the lodge or any of the close by saris saris sell phone load either, possibly because the signal for both Globe and Smart is very intermittent in the area. So this is one place to make sure you bring a spare card should you run out of load in the rain and don't feel walking several hundred meters to find somewhere, or going on the bike. Wifi also garbage.

Balamban town itself doesn't have a great deal going for it. There's a small Gaisano with a sign that says, laughably, 'Gaisano Sari Sari'. Apparently they are in the process of building a new one and not before time, as there are times where you can't move in there it's so packed out. There's one foreign restraurant in town, Sweibles, a newly opened German resto with an interesting looking menu, and what seems pretty keen prices - the pizzas for example are only 140 odd instead of the 240 odd they can be. More substantial meals are between 200 and 400. There's a takeway pizza place where you can also eat in if you want, but as usual with most pizza places in the Philippines the less said about it the better.

pinoy food options in Balamban, despite it being a town of 60,000 people are very slim. No decent canaderia, even near the market. Just a few pretty grim looking barbecue places. No Jollibee.

entertainment options also very slim in Balamban also from what I've seen so far. Live band at the Coca Bay resort every Saturday night from 10pm. There's an upstairs karaoke bar with a surprisingly large number of hostesses, at least half a dozen, catering to the local horizontal trade. You don't get the idea too many foreigners go there though.

6km out of town, close by to the large shipbuilding works, a massive local employer of 10,000 people, eating and entertainment options improve markedly compared to Balamban proper. Apparently there used to be a Jollibee here, but it has now for some reason closed down. There's reasonably good pinoy eateries here where workers go after work, another example in my experience that Filipinos tend to want to eat and be entertained close by to where they work, and not necessarily where they live.

overall verdict : Sailor's Cabin is an excellent inexpensive place to park for a few days. Monthly rentals are 23 days at a daily rate.

8/10

musicman666

just curious ..can you walk around the shipbuilding yard.. amazing 10,000 hungry mouths and the jolibee closes down. Is there good parking for a motorbike?

KeithAngel

The Sailors Cabin only came to my attention from Gunther our wonderful host at Zweibels Garden Resturant in Balamban so thanks to him and his place is well worth a visit if your in this part of the world

entrance to approach road is opposite the Montissory School there is a sign follow the track and next sign round to the right then follow the road and DONT turn off it

Edited by Keith Angel

Paul

I agree with whippy. The apartments were FANTASTIC. Hot water shower, good water pressure, roomy, air-con throughout, fully furnished kitchens.

BUT, do NOT eat in their restaurant. The kitchen staff couldn't get an order right to save their lives.

udonthani

just curious ..can you walk around the shipbuilding yard.. amazing 10,000 hungry mouths and the jolibee closes down. Is there good parking for a motorbike?

actually I'm not 100% sure about the Jollibee thing - that's just what some girl, who doesn't even live in Balamban, but Lutopan, told me. I'll confirm that when I go eat in a resto either tonight or tomorrow night where the Filipino owner is one smart cookie compared to the average guy with a canaderia. He said he's basically too busy to talk Thursdays to Sundays, the place was absolutely packed when I was there on Friday night. He'll know whether the yard is open to the public or not, but I would imagine no way. Works like that are dangerous places. Guys probably die in accidents there every year.

re Sailors Cabin, some of the apartments shower pressure is better than others. As always check beforehand before choosing if it's that important to you, rather than moaning about it to the management afterwards. The chances are good that next door's will be fine. Personally, like 95% of Filipinos, I'm not bothered if I have to take cold showers using the buckets that are pretty much always provided in Filipino lodges myself - showers, water pressure, and hot/cold are not an issue for me.

sperman

i doubt it. its well guarded and you'd need a pass from the mayor or some official to get in. i tried to visit already but was turned away. later, a local councilor/friend said he'd arrange a pass but i never followed it up.

KeithAngel

I agree with whippy. The apartments were FANTASTIC. Hot water shower, good water pressure, roomy, air-con throughout, fully furnished kitchens.

BUT, do NOT eat in their restaurant. The kitchen staff couldn't get an order right to save their lives.

Exotic orders huh

Lee From Cebu

The food at zewbles was great but the pizza was by far the best I had in the RP thin crust and quality toppings and what a beautiful location 10/10 sailers cabin awesome coffe maker,hot plates ,dishs, hotwater,air con in the bedrooms and front room tv with cable , phones ,if there was a pool O would expect to pay 3t a nite 10/10

udonthani

by the time we turned up at the resto for the food, you greedy gits had eaten the entire buffet, the pizza served near the end was not bad at all.

I turned up and took a peek at the menus at the day before, they were only going for about 140. Makes you think doesn't it. Much worse pizza than that can get offloaded onto the idiot tourists for double that amount of money.

RogerDuMond

The Tsuneishi ship building yard is not open to the public. The Jollibee that was opened in Balamban went out of business long before the Japanese opened the Tsuneishi Heavy Industries in Balamban.

http://www.thici.com/

David_LivinginTalisay

Sailors Cabin

gallion_wtr_md_wte.gif

Sailors Cabin

Abucayan, Balamban, 6041

CebuTel.: +63 (032) 465 2816

Home: www.sailors-cabin.com

This is the Route (Trans Central Highway) that I took to get back to Cebu City from Sailors Cabin:-

Max Altitude: 921 meters

Max Speed: 116.7kph

Distance (West Coast to East Coast) approx: 50Km

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

David_LivinginTalisay

gallion_wtr_md_wte.gif

Sailors Cabin

Abucayan, Balamban, 6041

CebuTel.: +63 (032) 465 2816

Home: www.sailors-cabin.com

This is the ROUTE I took from Lawa-an 1, Talisay City, to get to Sailors Cabin via Tabunok, Camp 7, Toledo:-

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DavidRobertWhittall/66369hg2m4bmmoou

NB: I suggest you DONT do this route @ Night or if it rains heavy (go via Naga instead)

Sailor's Cabin -Menu- June 2009.... "and still in place"

Menu of the Day: (only for Apartment customer)

Breakfast: 75

Lunch: 150

Dinner: 150

A la carte:

Soup:

Tinola 78

** Chicken **

** Pork **

**Beef **

Sinigang: 68

** Pork **

** Fish **

Cream of: 65

** Asparagus **

** Mushroom **

** Chicken **

Chinese Soup 65

Hot & Sour 65

Beef Noodle Soup 65

Vegetable Soup 65

Pinoy Mami Soup 35

Ramen Pork Soup 35

Ramen Chicken Soup 35

Pork:

Pork Tenderloin 119

Jaeger Schnitzel 119

Wiener Schnitzel 109

Sukiyaki (Pork) 99

Pork sweet & sour 99

Pork Gulasch 99

Pork Asado 99

Pork shop breaded 69

Pork shop 59

Steamed Rice w/Pork 69

Sausage 79

** German Bratwurst**

** Frankfurter **

** Hungarian **

** Garlic **

Beef:

Beef Rib steak:

** grilled 129**

/w gravy sauce 135

Sukiyaki (beef) 119

Teriyaki (beef) 119

Beef Gulasch 119

Beef Asado 119

Beef cream:

w/egg and Bread 119

Steamed Rice beef 99

Corned Beef:

** special 65**

w/Vegetable 60

Fish

Squids Grilled 119

Squids Sizzling 119

Shrimps Tempura 119

Shrimps Adobo 119

Shrimps Curry 119

Sizzling Steak 119

Fish sweet & sour 109

Calamaris 79

Tuna w/oil-water 59

Tuna Afritada 59

Tuna Mechado 59

Sardines (Tomato) 49

Sardines (Tom-hot) 49

Chicken

Grilled chicken 180<

Sailors Chicken 79

Chicken curry 89

Chicken Nuggets 89

Steamed rice/chicken 69

Pasta:

Spaghetti Carbonara 109

Spaghetti Bolognese 109

Spaghetti Neapolitan 89

Fried Noodle 89

Pancit Canton 69

Pizza: 129

with your topics

Salad:

Vegetable Salad 39

w/ Tuna 79

Tomato Salad 39

Cucumber Salad 39

Potato Salad 99

Noodle Salad 99

Additional:

Plain Rice 18

Fried Rice 20

French Fries 59

Mashed Potato 59

Fried Potato 59

Roast Patato 59

Salt Potato 49

Yakiudon Noodle 39

Chop Zuey 69

Fried egg (1) 12

Boiled egg (1) 10

Omelette 49

French Bread 15

Dessert:

Fruit Salad 39

Fruits 20

Hallo Hallo 49

Shake:

Banana Shake 59

Mango Shake 59

Cacao Shake 59<

Ice Tea shake 59

Drinks:

Beer 30

Soft drink 15

Mineral Water 15

Cappuccino 30

Nescafe classic 15

Brewed coffee 40

Lipton Tea 10

Ice Tea 39

28112010261.jpg 28112010262.jpg28112010263.jpg28112010264.jpg28112010265.jpg28112010266.jpg28112010268.jpg

28112010269.jpg28112010271.jpg

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

KeithAngel

Its owned by Peter a german and mostly caters to Balakbyan (his words) but as Udo says maybe the best value short term at least on Cebu Province at 600 for one night +power" for a full sized one bedroom self catering apartment Pity about the monkey

ancienrocka

Did you have a bet with anyone there mate??

KeithAngel

If you send your toast back you may never see it again :yahoo: