Sign in to follow this  
Edwin

Philippine Tourism...What is the attraction?

Jim Sibbick

Speak on Bob

Jim, the issue I have with the way you presented the Philippines as a "Tourist Mecca" is that there are certainly many ingredients (Eagle's reference to cake) which could be developed into a decent tourist haven. BUT as stated by many here, the emphasis and resources are just severely lacking to bring this to fruition. You can't build meaningful and long lasting tourist business on hype. You might get them here once, but they will never return. Plus they will relate their experiences to others which will further discourage growth.

I apologize for seemingly singling you out here and there to disagree with your point of view. I think it really started when you posted the following statement in a thread on province ladies (not girls) versus city women. Your comment went something like this. "All I need my girl to know is how to feed the chooks, take care of the kids and make my dinner. If I want meaningful conversation, I will go to the neighbors". After that I had no respect for anything you said. Sorry mate!

Regarding the topic of this thread, I simply believe that "the powers that be" here do not give a crap about tourism. They have what they want right here and don't want outside interference. Foreigners are simply a nuisance! It's the "middle class" and certain government entities that see an opportunity to profit from tourism.

I didn't see the post but thanks Bob for continually challenging those dopes who have no respect for women.

How about challenging dopes who have no respect for other posters!

I see people jumping up and down on this forum and others. They think I am wrong and they are right because their experiences don't match mine.

Let me tell you about the conversation I can have next door. Next door, i can discuss

- Hand to hand combat with the Japanese during the second world war

- Being educated in an American system duuring the US occupation of the Philippines

- The possibility of more gold hidden by the japanese in Palompon

- The taking back of Palompon by the Americans

- Filipino guerilla activities during the second world war

- Life under the Japanese

Let me tell you my experience with most Filipinas that i am attracted to.

- They think Australia is in the States

- They think the sun goes around the earth

- Even if they have had a college education, their mathematics training was just above kindergarten level

- They will tell me not to wash my self if am sick

- They will tell me to watch out for Wak waks

- They believe that it is all gods will

- My god son's sister obtained a college degree in IT. During her training she asked for my assistance with setting up a website. So, naturally, I thought when she obtained her degree, she would know something about computers and would be able to help in our business. So when we needed a receptionist who would also be required to assist with websites and data entry, she got the job. Come to find out, she hardly knew how to turn on the computer.

So, just because I am happy to accept the Philippines as it is,

So, just because my experiences don't match yours,

So, just because I am happy to accept that I am not going to find a Filipina who will challenge me intellectually or accept that I will not be able to find a Filipina who I can discuss my universal theories with,

You people seem to think you have the right to ridicule me at every opportunity.

Why?

The Philippines is not perfect but if you want it to be just like home, you might as well stay there as you will go bonkers trying to change the Philippines to suit you.

Regards; Jim

D_D

When I read all 3 of these threads they all seem to be connected some how. All 3 somehow talk about tourism and represents what the members here would suggest to do if they where in charge of promoting the Philippines ( of Cebu ), the threads also show what it would be like for a first time tourist.

But it seems like all 3 threads somehow all say the common attraction here is sex tourism, even if it is some how hidden with colorful chosen words.

Philippine Tourism...What is the attraction?

Coming to Cebu tomorrow first time there

General Distrust

For Real
somebody that goes on dateinasia or filipinaheart etc, looking for a cheap feck for the price of a barbecue and a few drinks in a disco is no different from somebody else that's looking for an expensive fifty thousand dollar one - with the full package.

In response:

I cannot answer…I never needed to do the online dating thing…when single I had interested parties presenting in person…but your drawing similarities of cheap nights of entertainment vs $50K leads me to ask "have you been unlucky in love?" or more importantly, are you still carrying that heavy baggage little man?

{Quote 2] and let'sface it, all you're a) friends, :scratch_head: relatives, c) aquaintances, and especiallythe d) kids you've perhaps disinherited back home because you've decided tocart yourself round to e) the other side of the world and f) drop shitloads ofmoney on somebody from g) a foreign culture you do not understand, h) whoselanguage you cannot speak, and who is g) maybe as much as half a centuryyounger than you, know this - even if you have sadly deluded yourself to theextent that you don't.

I say fair toplay to you. I hope you enjoy. I really do. But do me a favor and try try notto pretend you're something other than you actually are.

In Response:

Your generalisations have stopped & you are talking to me now:

Whilst I would agree that anybody who can check items a) to g) in your statement or even just 6 of those is clearly as messed up as you are.

For my situation I give half points for g) & h) because I am learning daily, thus your analysis of me scores only 9%

You see little man, 6 years ago I set out to work my wayaround the world, but have only now worked half way round the world…because I fellin love. I guess this could mean I'm a failure in your eyes (which matters nill in my scheme), but I'm 40, my wife is 35 (if she was half a century younger she would still be an embryo ;-) and we got time.

So much for your stereotype map

evan_iliadis.gif

Why are you so angry at women little man...tell us what happened? Maybe me or someone on the forum can help you.

Ive just found out you are based in Issan, I have travelled through this desperate region & had staff in my Bangkok office come from there...my concern is now for you...If you live you life in that part of the world with the attitude you display here...it will likely end before your time...and i really don't want that.

Edited by Malipayon Puti

Julian C Thong

The Philippines has 3 must see destinations for tourists that are in the top 10 in asia:

- the mountain province - bontoc, banaue and sagada is unique in asia and probably the world. It's like another planet.

- boracay - surely the best beach resort in asia by a mile. Unique in that the majority of the tourists are filipinos.

- palawan - the last frontier and the future of tourism in asia. Perfect ecotourism.

The problem is lack of promotion. People outside of the philippines have never hear of these places. Bali and phuket would be empty if theose people knew how much better boracay is. Combine these destinations with the humour and friendliness of the people and it should be the number one destination in asia.

But don't pretend that cebu, bohol, negros are quality tourisst destinations. They aren't.

Boracay, you must be joking. Great beach but it has been ruined by over development, no planning or forthought and the dash for cash. If you want beach, the Carribean. Sorry but not my idea of a beach holiday but then again I'm not 21 and from Korea

easy44

The Philippines has 3 must see destinations for tourists that are in the top 10 in asia:

- the mountain province - bontoc, banaue and sagada is unique in asia and probably the world. It's like another planet.

- boracay - surely the best beach resort in asia by a mile. Unique in that the majority of the tourists are filipinos.

- palawan - the last frontier and the future of tourism in asia. Perfect ecotourism.

The problem is lack of promotion. People outside of the philippines have never hear of these places. Bali and phuket would be empty if theose people knew how much better boracay is. Combine these destinations with the humour and friendliness of the people and it should be the number one destination in asia.

But don't pretend that cebu, bohol, negros are quality tourisst destinations. They aren't.

Boracay, you must be joking. Great beach but it has been ruined by over development, no planning or forthought and the dash for cash. If you want beach, the Carribean. Sorry but not my idea of a beach holiday but then again I'm not 21 and from Korea

Boracay has to be the most overrated, overpromoted beach resort in the world. Best in Asia? Come on. Overdeveloped, under regulated and polluted by it's own untreated sewage. World class only by the standards of the Philippine Tourist Board.

To be fair, you can have a good time there, but this is a tiny island with way too many people on it.

Edited by easy44