Sign in to follow this  
Edwin

Philippine Tourism...What is the attraction?

loosehead

The Philippines has 3 must see destinations for tourists that are in the top 10 in asia:

- the mountain province - bontoc, banaue and sagada is unique in asia and probably the world. It's like another planet.

- boracay - surely the best beach resort in asia by a mile. Unique in that the majority of the tourists are filipinos.

- palawan - the last frontier and the future of tourism in asia. Perfect ecotourism.

The problem is lack of promotion. People outside of the philippines have never hear of these places. Bali and phuket would be empty if theose people knew how much better boracay is. Combine these destinations with the humour and friendliness of the people and it should be the number one destination in asia.

But don't pretend that cebu, bohol, negros are quality tourisst destinations. They aren't.

Cary

Another thing that would help is if the RP stops trying to copy other places. I am assuming that Cebu is like Manila in that there are sections that are totally modern and look like Tokyo and Los Angeles? Well in Manila there are sections that look like carbon copies of L.A, and there is nothing wrong with having a modern city. Just make it your own. It can be similar, just not a copy. The RP has nice historical areas. Develop them. They would be nice tourist spots. But if you go to them they either look unkempt or total disaster areas. Fix them up. In L.A. we have China town. A tourist trap to the extreme. But its kept up and people go there every year as well as people still live there too.

musicman666

But don't pretend that cebu, bohol, negros are quality tourisst destinations. They aren't.

they could be a whole lot better ... this area of the philippines has a lot of potential.

Bob Ward

Jim, the issue I have with the way you presented the Philippines as a "Tourist Mecca" is that there are certainly many ingredients (Eagle's reference to cake) which could be developed into a decent tourist haven. BUT as stated by many here, the emphasis and resources are just severely lacking to bring this to fruition. You can't build meaningful and long lasting tourist business on hype. You might get them here once, but they will never return. Plus they will relate their experiences to others which will further discourage growth.

I apologize for seemingly singling you out here and there to disagree with your point of view. I think it really started when you posted the following statement in a thread on province ladies (not girls) versus city women. Your comment went something like this. "All I need my girl to know is how to feed the chooks, take care of the kids and make my dinner. If I want meaningful conversation, I will go to the neighbors". After that I had no respect for anything you said. Sorry mate!

Regarding the topic of this thread, I simply believe that "the powers that be" here do not give a crap about tourism. They have what they want right here and don't want outside interference. Foreigners are simply a nuisance! It's the "middle class" and certain government entities that see an opportunity to profit from tourism.

Cary

Speak on Bob

Jim, the issue I have with the way you presented the Philippines as a "Tourist Mecca" is that there are certainly many ingredients (Eagle's reference to cake) which could be developed into a decent tourist haven. BUT as stated by many here, the emphasis and resources are just severely lacking to bring this to fruition. You can't build meaningful and long lasting tourist business on hype. You might get them here once, but they will never return. Plus they will relate their experiences to others which will further discourage growth.

I apologize for seemingly singling you out here and there to disagree with your point of view. I think it really started when you posted the following statement in a thread on province ladies (not girls) versus city women. Your comment went something like this. "All I need my girl to know is how to feed the chooks, take care of the kids and make my dinner. If I want meaningful conversation, I will go to the neighbors". After that I had no respect for anything you said. Sorry mate!

Regarding the topic of this thread, I simply believe that "the powers that be" here do not give a crap about tourism. They have what they want right here and don't want outside interference. Foreigners are simply a nuisance! It's the "middle class" and certain government entities that see an opportunity to profit from tourism.

musicman666

it doesnt matter what we talk about and suggest on this forum it will always boil down to the same old thing ... the rich families here like it just the way it is and the poor just doff their caps and keep shovelling for their next bottle of san mig.

Headshot

Headshot;

Right on. But I have to slightly disagree with this; improving security and the infrastructure will help. It wont give the RP the flood of tourists that it wants but it would increase a little. And a little is better than nothing. By not working on the infrastructure and security will definitely hurt. So its in the RP's best interest for the country and the politicians wallets that they do.

I agree that improving security and infrastructure would have some impact on tourism to the Philippines from other Asian countries, Australia and New Zealand; but I don't see it having much of an impact on tourism from North America or Europe. Face it, most of the islands of the Caribbean have poor security and infrastructure too. You seldom find a metal detector, let alone a scanner in one of those airports, and pretty much anybody can get on the plane. As far as roads, most Caribbean islands have few roads wider than two lanes and many are only a lane and a half wide. Why do people from North America go to those islands? They go...because the Caribbean islands are close. It's the same reason people from Europe go to the Mediterranian. It's close. If they want something really exotic, they will go to Fiji or Tahiti or Palau or Bali. Why? It is because those places have an exotic aura that has been built up for centuries as exotic places. You can't create exotic with a travel campaign. Unfortunately, the things that the Philippine Islands are traditionally famous for are NOT the things that regular tourists want to travel halfway around the world to see. A filmed drive through many neighborhoods in Cebu City would get donations sent in to the "Save the Children" advertisements, but it won't attract tourists.

loosehead

Speak on Bob

I didn't see the post but thanks Bob for continually challenging those dopes who have no respect for women.

Maybe the powers that be in cebu have no appetite for tourism but they do in boracay. Check it out.

Bob Ward

Speak on Bob

I didn't see the post but thanks Bob for continually challenging those dopes who have no respect for women.

Maybe the powers that be in cebu have no appetite for tourism but they do in boracay. Check it out.

Yes Boracay has the juice. BUT if you look at the money and the influence behind the crux of it, it's foreigners who have invested million and they want that investment protected. So they do what they have to to make things happen reasonably properly. I've never been there since I lived most of my life around beach resorts and the like in Florida. There are allot of sharks in Boracay, and the are mainly foreigners! LOLOLOL

Edited by Bob Ward

musicman666

Speak on Bob

Yes Boracay has the juice. BUT if you look at the money and the influence behind the crux of it, it's foreigners who have invested million and they want that investment protected. So they do what they have to to make things happen reasonably properly. I've never been there since I lived most of my life around beach resorts and the like in Florida. There are allot of sharks in Boracay, and the are mainly foreigners! LOLOLOL

i thought it was a case of let the foreigners build it up and when it looks like it will run itself then the locals try to get it back... the sharks are the locals.

Bob Ward

Speak on Bob

i thought it was a case of let the foreigners build it up and when it looks like it will run itself then the locals try to get it back... the sharks are the locals.

Time will tell! LOL

Cary

If the RP does Airport take over II, they will really see tourism drop like a rock,

Speak on Bob

Time will tell! LOL

loosehead

Speak on Bob

Time will tell! LOL

Forget the politics and go and enjoy the best beach destination and best family holiday place in asia. The OP asked "what is the attraction". I listed 3 brilliant places and it seems that very few board members have visited them.

musicman666

Speak on Bob

Time will tell! LOL

Forget the politics and go and enjoy the best beach destination and best family holiday place in asia. The OP asked "what is the attraction". I listed 3 brilliant places and it seems that very few board members have visited them.

i have visted boracay quite a few times... the beach itself is amazing... what goes on behind the tree line not so much. I havent traveled a lot of the coast but I cant believe that there arent more boracy beaches elsewhere ... they just need the landing strip.

mabutiman

Speak on Bob

yes if they see that you are a success they will then take it away from you .... sometimes by force ...... telling you its time for you to leave the phils .... for your own well being ....