Sign in to follow this  
Edwin

Philippine Tourism...What is the attraction?

Cary

Spooks;

I say its the powers that be that stops the country. They like being kings of a small pond instead being prime ministers in an ocean. They are so short sighted by the immediate cash in pocket and can't see the bigger payday not only for themselves but the country as well if they fixed things up a bit here. Look at China. The country is booming and believe you me that president Hu and his buddies and drowning in the green. Why? Because as China grows so do their portfolios. The sad fact is that the powers that be here can't see past their wallets. And in their wallets are $100k+ while in Hu's wallet there is a million+. Big difference.

What has the Philippines got that other Asian destinations do not have? I think the answer is nothing that cannot be matched or surpassed if we are talking about History and waterfalls etc. or perhaps one or two iconic places.

So what has the rest of Asia got that the Philippines does not have? Ok so the long long list starts here!!

Philippines has a lot to do and yes it can be done! So what stops them?

Julian C Thong

It's simple, there is no culture here, just lots of people.

The war destroyed what little there was of the Spanish years and time and neglect has done the rest. The US wasn't interested.

Look at the rest of SE Asia. Thailand has millenia of culture, the King, Buddhism: Camodia has Ankor Wat, Laos has Buddism and wonderful sites, Vietnam has the old French colonial past AND they all have amazing food culture. Not even worth comparing HK, Singapore, Malaysia as they are in their own league. Indonisia is improving very fast of the back of Bali and important historic sites on Java.

Now, if you are coming from the west, what does the RP have to offer by comparison? The squallor of Manilla, pollution, poor services, ripped off at every turn. Away from that hell hole, it gets better but not much first class accommodation. Travel agents don't like the place because they get complaints. I guess Korean and Japanese tourists are more forgivinging but they stick to there resorts and don't wander much.

And above all, the RP has gained the reputation for sex tourism. Close down Angelis City and the girly bars would be a start, or at least restrict them to locals only. Encourage foreign investment without the restrictions of a majority of locals on the board and give extended tax holidays to allow for investment capital costs. Improve training and set up western focused colleges with western staff for cullinary and tourism related courses funded by the government.

Plus many many other things but you get my drift. I know there are lots of islands, but the accommodation is aimed at young divers and beach bums. Travel agents wont touch it. Look at Phuket. When I first went there in 1984 there were 2 quality resorts. Now there are hundreds. If you keep things focused in an area you don't get too fast a destruction of local culture but that is happening anyway. Most tourists don't want too much local culture, they want western culture presented in a foreign way, ie Bali. It may become tacky in our eyes but it makes money, and that is what it is all about.

I was on a jeepney yesterday when a bunch of college kids got aboard, about 10 of them, each had a candy bar and the wrappers went right out the window. They're the ones that will be leading this country. Keep Cebu green and clean ....my ass.

I don't think they have any idea of the concept of consideration for others. That's my opinion. But still I like it here. It does take a little getting used to it though, doen't it. John Lane

Actually...they would more than likely only end up as future managers at a local Jollibee.

Exactly, a manger is looked on as an example. Not much hope there then.

Mailman

In regard to safety, bad things happen every where in the world and the Philippines is no exception. In my opinion, the advisories are racist. There are continuous terror threats against the USA and there are no advisories saying don't go to the USA. For the advisories for the Philippines, they keep dredging up past problems. There was a bombing in 2001 so it gets a mention as a reason to avoid the Philippines. Well I believe there was a little plane accident in 2001 in the USA but obviously because it is the USA, it is irrelevent. The information contained in the warning advisories is often so irrelevent that I am surprised that there is not a warning against invading Japanese!

Last I heard the US didn't harbor any heavily armed terrorist groups within in borders who regularly battle it out guerilla style with police and military, kidnap people for ransom, attack police/military outposts/patrols for their weapons, and bomb buses and cellphone towers. But hey, what do I know? I haven't been there for 6 years! :P

TheMatrix

Philippines is a tourist mecca with lots to see and do. There are waterfalls, hot springs, cold springs, volcanoes, whale watching, dolphin watching, swimming with sharks, white sandy beaches, historical sights, cheap beach side accommodation, tarsier sanctuaries, butterfly sanctuaries, crocodile sanctuaries, adult nightlife, non adult night life, an underground river, underground lakes, ancient rice terraces, sailing, fishing, other watersports and more.

Hi Jim,

Great post. Makes me glad I'm here in the Philippines with all these things to do. But, tell me where can I swim with sharks, whale/dolphin watching, and find those underground rives and lakes?

spooks

"And above all, the RP has gained the reputation for sex tourism. Close down Angelis City and the girly bars would be a start, or at least restrict them to locals only."

Why do I not think this is a solution at all? answer.... Thailand!! Philippines has not gained this reputation it has been here for a long time. Thailand has a far bigger sex tourism industry than the Philippines and reputation that goes with it.

Not sure how the color of skin or country of origin of customers or owners makes a girly bar more or less than what it is.

'or at least restrict them to locals only'. it this protectionist mindset that has prevented real overseas investment, they call it patrimony. Perhaps that is why lower end investments not affected by such are more common for Foreigners, high end would be too risky.

Being a foreign investor in the DOT is hard, I know!! I tried it too much patrimony and clearly being 'marked'. Lost count of the number of politicians who started circling what they thought was live bait.

The problems here are far far bigger, the solutions far more drastic in terms of the negative impact it would have on the favoured few families that run this place.

Jim Sibbick

Philippines is a tourist mecca with lots to see and do. There are waterfalls, hot springs, cold springs, volcanoes, whale watching, dolphin watching, swimming with sharks, white sandy beaches, historical sights, cheap beach side accommodation, tarsier sanctuaries, butterfly sanctuaries, crocodile sanctuaries, adult nightlife, non adult night life, an underground river, underground lakes, ancient rice terraces, sailing, fishing, other watersports and more.

Hi Jim,

Great post. Makes me glad I'm here in the Philippines with all these things to do. But, tell me where can I swim with sharks, whale/dolphin watching, and find those underground rives and lakes?

You will find whale sharks in Donsol in southern Luzon

You can pay to go dolphin and whale watchimg from Bohol

When I travel in the daytime between Cebu City and Palompon Leyte, usually i will see dolphins along the way. They seem like they are trying to race the boat.

There is a an underground river on Palawan.

There are supposedly several places where you can swim in lakes underground. The only one I have personally swum in is the Hinagdanan cave on Panglao Island, Bohol.

Ardent hot spring on Camiguin Island has a series of pools ranging from luke warm to 38c. There are hot springs in other places.

There are butterfly sanctuaries on Bohol and Cebu

There are crocodile parks in Davao and other places.

Tarsiers are on Bohol

There are ancient rice terraces in Banaue

Waterfalls, cold springs, white sandy beaches, cheap beachside accommodation and historical sights are all over the place

Volcanoes are all over the place. An easy one to see is Taal volcano in Tagatay. It is a day trip from Manila.

Regards: Jim

KeithAngel

Hi Jim,

Dolphin Watching in Matabang nr Toledo Steve You can also swim with Sharks here in the DK

Edited by Keith Angel

For Real

Without sex tourists and Kano men coming to meet a special Filipina/

why draw a distinction between the two, unless the 'special' Filipina doesn't offer sex as part of the package? Does marrying someone in some way absolve somebody of being a sex tourist, or sexpat? I say, no - it definitely doesn't.

Is this the height of your ignorance on display? Is this what you really mean or are you trolling?

If you are trolling...piss of to the dirty kitchen!

If this is what you really think it time to have yourself neutered...the world does not need any more of your type!

Lets give you the benefit of the doubt

Explanation time

1: A sex tourist is someone who travels for the purpose of having sex. Either by paying money on a transaction by transaction basis or finding someone desperate enough to have sex with them for a perceived (at least before the sex) gain. The sex tourist leaves the holiday destination after his (or her's..lets not exclude Bali) with no ongoing relationship with who they have had sex with. The sex tourist goes to a location of lower socio economic standing, this is generally because they are deemed ugly & unwanted or simply do not have enough money to warrant respect in the societies they grew up in. The reason for bad press & ambivalence when a sex tourist is gunned down in the street is because these people only leech from society.

Sure...these people give...sometimes 500 - 1500 Peso's for sex - less expensive than a quiet night in the pub located in the society that threw them away.

The sex tourist is undesirable, unattractive & unwanted...they prey on the desperate

2: I cannot unscrew the OP's head & look inside for his meaning re "Meeting the special Filipina" so i really cannot define as specifically...so lets deal with what's defensable.

The ones meeting the special Filipina are those who want to give & receive in the interactions with the special one - if the trip goes to plan the relationship is ongoing

Meeting the special Filipina tourist plans

• To be part of the special ones life after the holiday
  • Sometimes get married
  • Help the family
  • Raise/educate the children & bring them into their lives

The Meeting the special Filipina is not planning to

• Screw someone more desperate than themselves over

I really cannot add more in defense of the more welcome visitor because I dont have the OP's full intepretation..but the differences between the 2 are massive.

For your sake i really hope you are just trolling

alexccms

Obviously,

UdonThani

:P

Always has been always will be. His reply pissed me off too. What a moron. But the best thing you can do is igore it.

You guys know that UdonThani is a city in Isaan? A region in northeast Thailand where the majority of it's sex workers come from.

Hey, speaking of Philippines Tourism, maybe we'll have an influx of Koreans now that the North went and attacked the South. Well, the Koreans certainly make us westerners more appreciated. You think the locals are rude? Lol, wait till you meet the Korean tourists!

Edited by alexccms

EAGLE

Singapore had a very few ingredients to bake its cake, "position/location", being the most valuable. But what a delicious and large Cake they have now and it is shared amongst the Citizens extremely well. IMO having lived there.

They could have "lost" the advantage of their advantageous "position/location" in regard to Shipping servicing which provides more than 10% of GDP but the other strength Singapore has is an astute political leadership.

This has brought "influence" WorldWide and with these Big Pal's S'Pore effectively crushed the Malay plan to cut a Canal to combat S'Pore's geographical advantage.

When comparing the Philippines, which 60 years was a leading economy in Asia, with ANY other country in the Neighbourhood the conclusion is far from simple to explain.

Greed - corruption - nepotism and naive stupidity. Oh that was simple after all.!

PI has ALL the ingredients any patisserie Chef would be more than satisfied with to make a GREAT CAKE (tourist destination).

I met in 2006 a Foreigh Tour operator/hotel owner who was commissioned by "WOW" to complete a report and recommend methods to improve tourist numbers to PI.

NOT one of his suggestion's were implemented - to date.

I have first hand experience of this. The PI staff I was involved with looked upon his "ideas" as an intrusion and slight upon their previous dismal efforts.

Sad SO sad :biggrin_01: What a conundrum ???.

Eagle Tom

Edited by EAGLE

Cary

Tom;

You are not alone. The powers that be here take what we would consider as suggestions or constructive criticisms and I really mean that, as insults. We know thats not how it was meant, even after you tell them that you meant no offense. Your friend took his job seriously and did as asked and as you said no change. Very sad and very short sighted too.

Singapore had a very few ingredients to bake its cake, "position/location", being the most valuable. But what a delicious and large Cake they have now and it is shared amongst the Citizens extremely well. IMO having lived there.

They could have "lost" the advantage of their advantageous "position/location" in regard to Shipping servicing which provides more than 10% of GDP but the other strength Singapore has is an astute political leadership.

This has brought "influence" WorldWide and with these Big Pal's S'Pore effectively crushed the Malay plan to cut a Canal to combat S'Pore's geographical advantage.

When comparing the Philippines, which 60 years was a leading economy in Asia, with ANY other country in the Neighbourhood the conclusion is far from simple to explain.

Greed - corruption - nepotism and naive stupidity. Oh that was simple after all.!

PI has ALL the ingredients any patisserie Chef would be more than satisfied with to make a GREAT CAKE (tourist destination).

I met in 2006 a Foreigh Tour operator/hotel owner who was commissioned by "WOW" to complete a report and recommend methods to improve tourist numbers to PI.

NOT one of his suggestion's were implemented - to date.

I have first hand experience of this. The PI staff I was involved with looked upon his "ideas" as an intrusion and slight upon their previous dismal efforts.

Sad SO sad :biggrin_01: What a conundrum ???.

Eagle Tom

Headshot

My brother and sister came to Cebu in June for my wedding. After the wedding, we went to Moalboal for some diving and relaxation. After they got back to the States, I asked them how they enjoyed their trips. Basically, both of them said the same thing...if it wasn't for the wedding, they would never come here. My brother said it best when he said, "That is way too far to fly just for a beach and some diving. I can find better places in the Caribbean."

They were both very unimpressed by Cebu City with its squalor, horrible infrastructure and insane traffic. The ride down to Moalboal impressed both of them (but NOT favorably) as several buses going the opposite direction decided to use our lane instead of their own. They were also very impressed by how many things (vehicles, pedestrians and animals) wandered out in front of us on the road without looking. Both of them came to the conclusion that they would NEVER drive here.

So...I would submit that you can do whatever you want to encourage tourism here, and with the exception of people from other countries in Asia, Aussies and Kiwis...it just doesn't make a lot of sense to come here. Any campaign to promote more tourism from North America or Europe is just wasted money. If it weren't for the women here, there would be NO attraction that could draw enough people from North America and Europe to the Philippines.

Filipinas are the one resource that makes it worthwhile coming to the Philippines (no, I'm NOT promoting sex tourism, but they are here for the women too). And...with those coming here for the women, the recent travel alerts have probably made absolutely NO difference at all. The alerts may have an effect on regular tourists from Australia, New Zealand and the Asian countries, but not on anyone coming here to meet (or marry) a Filipina. For those from North America or Europe, the Philippines could have stellar security (which they don't) and it wouldn't bring in any more tourists than are already coming here.

Cary

Headshot;

Right on. But I have to slightly disagree with this; improving security and the infrastructure will help. It wont give the RP the flood of tourists that it wants but it would increase a little. And a little is better than nothing. By not working on the infrastructure and security will definitely hurt. So its in the RP's best interest for the country and the politicians wallets that they do.

My brother and sister came to Cebu in June for my wedding. After the wedding, we went to Moalboal for some diving and relaxation. After they got back to the States, I asked them how they enjoyed their trips. Basically, both of them said the same thing...if it wasn't for the wedding, they would never come here. My brother said it best when he said, "That is way too far to fly just for a beach and some diving. I can find better places in the Caribbean."

They were both very unimpressed by Cebu City with its squalor, horrible infrastructure and insane traffic. The ride down to Moalboal impressed both of them (but NOT favorably) as several buses going the opposite direction decided to use our lane instead of their own. They were also very impressed by how many things (vehicles, pedestrians and animals) wandered out in front of us on the road without looking. Both of them came to the conclusion that they would NEVER drive here.

So...I would submit that you can do whatever you want to encourage tourism here, and with the exception of people from other countries in Asia, Aussies and Kiwis...it just doesn't make a lot of sense to come here. Any campaign to promote more tourism from North America or Europe is just wasted money. If it weren't for the women here, there would be NO attraction that could draw enough people from North America and Europe to the Philippines.

Filipinas are the one resource that makes it worthwhile coming to the Philippines (no, I'm NOT promoting sex tourism, but they are here for the women too). And...with those coming here for the women, the recent travel alerts have probably made absolutely NO difference at all. The alerts may have an effect on regular tourists from Australia, New Zealand and the Asian countries, but not on anyone coming here to meet (or marry) a Filipina. For those from North America or Europe, the Philippines could have stellar security (which they don't) and it wouldn't bring in any more tourists than are already coming here.

udonthani

If this is what you really think it time to have yourself neutered...the world does not need any more of your type!

Lets give you the benefit of the doubt

Explanation time

1: A sex tourist is someone who travels for the purpose of having sex. Either by paying money on a transaction by transaction basis or finding someone desperate enough to have sex with them for a perceived (at least before the sex) gain. The sex tourist leaves the holiday destination after his (or her's..lets not exclude Bali) with no ongoing relationship with who they have had sex with. The sex tourist goes to a location of lower socio economic standing, this is generally because they are deemed ugly & unwanted or simply do not have enough money to warrant respect in the societies they grew up in. The reason for bad press & ambivalence when a sex tourist is gunned down in the street is because these people only leech from society.

Sure...these people give...sometimes 500 - 1500 Peso's for sex - less expensive than a quiet night in the pub located in the society that threw them away.

The sex tourist is undesirable, unattractive & unwanted...they prey on the desperate

and you're saying that guys that marry Filipinas rather than barfine Filipinas aren't in many cases doing the same? Are you serious?

The ones meeting the special Filipina are those who want to give & receive in the interactions with the special one - if the trip goes to plan the relationship is ongoing

For your sake i really hope you are just trolling

pathetic moralising posts of this sort just make me laugh, they really do.

somebody that goes on dateinasia or filipinaheart etc, looking for a cheap feck for the price of a barbecue and a few drinks in a disco is no different from somebody else that's looking for an expensive fifty thousand dollar one - with the full package.

it's like a thief is still a thief if it's a hubcap, or they've robbed a bank. The only difference is degree.

and lets face it, all your friends, relatives, aquaintances, and especially the kids you've perhaps disinherited back home because you've decided to cart yourself round to the other side of the world and drop shitloads of money on somebody from a foreign culture you do not understand, whose language you cannot speak, and who is maybe as much as half a century younger than you, know this - even if you have sadly deluded yourself to the extent that you don't.

I say fair to play to you. I hope you enjoy. I really do. But do me a favor and try try not to pretend you're something other than you actually are.

musicman666

i think if they concentrated on just cebu and the surrounding islands ... including palawan and borocay and designated it as a tourism zone.. and just cut loose all the problem, areas i think they might make a better name for themselves. Pour money into key link roads and infastructure so that tourists can be whisked from macatan to the resorts by high speed ferries and light aircraft. Step up security on all these islands and give the area its own unified identity that meant it wasnt shackled by luzon and mindano. At least this might be acheivable...