Sign in to follow this  
Edwin

Philippine Tourism...What is the attraction?

Edwin

While many S E Asian countries have a healthy and growing tourist industry the Philippines lags behind nations such as Viet Nam and Cambodia in the number of visitors. That doesn't make sense in a nation of 7,107 islands. Currently the Philippines has 4 million foreign tourists per year. Without sex tourists and Kano men coming to meet a special Filipina would the Philippines even have one million visitors per year?

I think there are several obstacles to a healthy tourist industry in the PH. The main issue being the perception that the PH is a dangerous place. Most of us have spent time in or live there now, but would you want your Kano daughter to visit the PH with her friends?

Can anything be done to change the problem?

Cary

Mike;

I've said it in several posts; security. The RP for good or bad has a reputation that will not go away with smoke and mirrors. As you know a tourist wants to go where they will have fun in the sun, etc. The RP has that. The tourist wants to go where the locals are friendly. The RP has that too. But what the RP also has is a well known poorly trained and supplied security force whether its the PNP or the AFP. And everyone knows that the politicians here have robbed them. As a result among other things the infrastructure here sucks. So as a tourist unless you have a specific reason to come, you have a love interest and or family, why would you put up with traveling say 1 hour+ in God awful traffic that in another place would take you 20 minutes? Why would you continue to pay fees both public and hidden fees while in another place you don't?

Recently Aquino blasted the US, UK and others for simply telling their people to be on alert. They did not tell people not to come, just be on alert. The RP said they were not notified but later it turns out they were and yet the RP continues to blast them. To you post; the RP needs to start and continue to promote security. The RP needs to work on its infrastructure. And finally I would say the RP needs to just be itself and not try to modernize one part of the country and leave the rest in the dust as you can see the many dumps all over the city. The RP has a lot going for it naturally and thats its main selling point if the powers that be would just get their act together.

alexccms

When people consider the Philippines as a tourist destination they have to think, "Well, I'd be flying into Manila."

Ask people, what do you think about Manila? Even people from manila will crinkle their noses. Crowded, expensive, filthy, dangerous.

A lot would need to be done to make it attractive to would be visitors.

Hmm, Cambodia has Angkor Wat, the land mine museum, and the killing fields. Maybe after a few years Maguindanao will be a tourist destination.

Cary

Another thing Mike;

Alan said recently, the RP's response to the travel alerts made it appear they were more concerned about the tourism money rather than the tourist safety. With the internet 1000's of people have the same conclusion as Alan. If the RP wants to be in the same class as Jamaica, HK, etc. as far as tourists spots then they better let the people know yes we want you to come and we will and are working to make sure that you have a fun and safe trip.

Jim Sibbick

My sister, mother and more than 20 friends from Australia, about half of them female, have visited me or travelled with me to the Philippines. They all enjoyed their time in the Philippines.

My mother even beat me to the Philippines. She first visited in the early 1980's.

In regard to safety, bad things happen every where in the world and the Philippines is no exception. In my opinion, the advisories are racist. There are continuous terror threats against the USA and there are no advisories saying don't go to the USA. For the advisories for the Philippines, they keep dredging up past problems. There was a bombing in 2001 so it gets a mention as a reason to avoid the Philippines. Well I believe there was a little plane accident in 2001 in the USA but obviously because it is the USA, it is irrelevent. The information contained in the warning advisories is often so irrelevent that I am surprised that there is not a warning against invading Japanese!

Philippines is a tourist mecca with lots to see and do. There are waterfalls, hot springs, cold springs, volcanoes, whale watching, dolphin watching, swimming with sharks, white sandy beaches, historical sights, cheap beach side accommodation, tarsier sactuaries, butterfly sanctuaries, crocodile sanctuaries, adult nightlife, non adult night life, an underground river, underground lakes, ancient rice terraces, sailing, fishing, other watersports and more.

It just needs to be promoted right!

Regards; Jim Sibbick

Art

I remember some years ago in the 1980's there was a fantastic promotion of the Philippines it sure hooked me anyone remember it? I think they ran out of money and they have never had the same quality since.

Bob Ward

Regards; Jim Sibbick

And that is what you and others with certain vested interests in this country do unabashedly. Promote this country with a with a rose colored filter in order to gain from it. See it every day!!!

The jury is still out on Aquino, but it has to start at the top. Unfortunately any money you invest in infrastructure here is only effective at a 30%+ rate. If they could at least get that to 60%, they might have a chance!

Jim Sibbick

Regards; Jim Sibbick

And that is what you and others with certain vested interests in this country do unabashedly. Promote this country with a with a rose colored filter in order to gain from it. See it every day!!!

The jury is still out on Aquino, but it has to start at the top. Unfortunately any money you invest in infrastructure here is only effective at a 30%+ rate. If they could at least get that to 60%, they might have a chance!

I have several business interest in the Philipines, none of which cater to foreigners. So, hopefully you will tell me what these vested interests are that will benefit from an influx of tourists, otherwise, I have no idea what you are talking about.

If the piso improves, it makes life more difficult for foreigners like me, not better!

Regards; Jim

easy44

In regard to safety, bad things happen every where in the world and the Philippines is no exception. In my opinion, the advisories are racist. There are continuous terror threats against the USA and there are no advisories saying don't go to the USA. For the advisories for the Philippines, they keep dredging up past problems. There was a bombing in 2001 so it gets a mention as a reason to avoid the Philippines. Well I believe there was a little plane accident in 2001 in the USA but obviously because it is the USA, it is irrelevent. The information contained in the warning advisories is often so irrelevent that I am surprised that there is not a warning against invading Japanese!

Regards; Jim Sibbick

You gotta be kidding? Terrorist threats are very real in the Philippines, but the biggest problem is the inability or unwillingness of the government to do anything about it. When they do actually try, there is complete incompetence (hostage rescue attempt). Witness the incident where the army had Abu Sayaf and hostages bottled up in a hospital in Mindanao, but the terrorists were able to buy their way out. The reason the old warnings are still relevant is because nothing has changed to improve security for tourists in this country.

udonthani

Without sex tourists and Kano men coming to meet a special Filipina/

why draw a distinction between the two, unless the 'special' Filipina doesn't offer sex as part of the package? Does marrying someone in some way absolve somebody of being a sex tourist, or sexpat? I say, no - it definitely doesn't.

also, once again, an ethnocentric attitude is at work here. White people are comfortably outnumbered by Asians when it comes to tourist numbers in the Philippines. The same goes for Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, and all the others. Filipians also marry proportionally more fellow Asians when it comes to foreigners than they do kanos.

I'm not sure why so many white guys seem to suffer from this delusion that Filipinas are only interested in them, and not their fellow Asians, when the fact that ought to be obvious to anybody is that numerically they are comfortably outnumbered by them, always have been, and always will be.

I think that when they see a motorbike or multi cab being driven down the street with a Japanese or Korean, or Singaporean driver, and a bunch of Filpinos in or on the back, they're such numbskulls, they assume that the Japanese, Korean, or Singaporean is a Filipino. Guess what. They're not.

udonthani

When people consider the Philippines as a tourist destination they have to think, "Well, I'd be flying into Manila."

not necessarily. I only visited and Luzon and Manila for the first time, the 3rd time I arrived in the Philippines. It's not the only way to arrive in the country.

Director

I like it here and intend to remain but let's face it. Cebu is a dirty city, crowded, no decent road system. They are promoting SRP as a modern business center and for that matter all of Cebu but it just ain't. The street that goes along the port from Mandaue to the tunnel goin to SRP is one big pot hole That's the road that tourist would travel most likely. About the most senic thing you will see there is a Pinoy standing along side his truck pissing. I was on a jeepney yesterday when a bunch of college kids got aboard, about 10 of them, each had a candy bar and the wrappers went right out the window. They're the ones that will be leading this country. Keep Cebu green and clean ....my ass.

I don't think they have any idea of the concept of consideration for others. That's my opinion. But still I like it here. It does take a little getting used to it though, doen't it. John Lane

After thought...If you want beautiful beaches and sun go to the gulf coast of Florida

2nd After thought...if you want ot find beautiful women you've come to the right place.

Edited by Director

spooks

What has the Philippines got that other Asian destinations do not have? I think the answer is nothing that cannot be matched or surpassed if we are talking about History and waterfalls etc. or perhaps one or two iconic places.

So what has the rest of Asia got that the Philippines does not have? Ok so the long long list starts here!!

Philippines has a lot to do and yes it can be done! So what stops them?

DeezNuz

I was on a jeepney yesterday when a bunch of college kids got aboard, about 10 of them, each had a candy bar and the wrappers went right out the window. They're the ones that will be leading this country. Keep Cebu green and clean ....my ass.

I don't think they have any idea of the concept of consideration for others. That's my opinion. But still I like it here. It does take a little getting used to it though, doen't it. John Lane

Actually...they would more than likely only end up as future managers at a local Jollibee.

easy44

I like it here and intend to remain but let's face it. Cebu is a dirty city, crowded, no decent road system. They are promoting SRP as a modern business center and for that matter all of Cebu but it just ain't. The street that goes along the port from Mandaue to the tunnel goin to SRP is one big pot hole That's the road that tourist would travel most likely. About the most senic thing you will see there is a Pinoy standing along side his truck pissing. I was on a jeepney yesterday when a bunch of college kids got aboard, about 10 of them, each had a candy bar and the wrappers went right out the window. They're the ones that will be leading this country. Keep Cebu green and clean ....my ass.

After thought...If you want beautiful beaches and sun go to the gulf coast of Florida

I see living here as an on-going adventure that rarely fails to surprise and amuse, on a daily basis. Then again, I'm more easily amused than most.