Traveling Alone

Purplewink

Hello there,

I just found out about this forum few days ago and I have been wanting to vist Cebu too. Though I have a friend who works in Cebu, he said he is visiting Butuan towards the end of the month so I am thinking I might cancel my trip since no one would be showing me around.

Perhaps I want to know if it's safe for a woman who is alone to travel in Cebu. Any good place that I should not miss while I am there?

I am hoping to have a great time and meet some people around the area.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crewsafe

• Mailman

• Purplewink

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Purplewink, welcome to the forum. :welcome:

If my wife and I were in Cebu right now then we would have been happy to show you around Cebu. I would say that it should be safe as long as you do not walk the streets at night by yourself. Take taxis to the malls and back to your hotel. I have seen a lot of foreign women shopping in the malls but they are usually in pairs and every now and then by themselves but I would guess that they live in Cebu and know their way around.

There is usually a boat trip toward the end of the month and a lot of forum members usually go on it, keep reading the forum and you will find out when the next trip is and hopefully meet a lot of people while on it.

If you go to any of the malls, I am sure you will meet up with other foreigners and I am pretty sure you will even find some from whatever country you originated from. Maybe if you post more about where you are from and what you are seeking to see, then maybe some forum members might kick in and say hello and try to meet you for coffee or help you find a tour guide.

Sorry I could not be of more help and good luck and hope you enjoy Cebu.

Damairaki
Usually I ignore the street children too. Unless they are selling something, then I may buy.

I remember one time though, I was sitting on my motorcycle waiting for a friend of mine outside Jollibee in A.S. Fortuna in Mandaue. Then this boy comes up to me and starts talking. At first I though: Another begging street kid ;)

He was 10 years old. He did start to interest me though. He spoke well english, at least enough for us to communicate. For at street kid that age I was surprised. He asked me who I was waiting for and what kind of job he had. I said my friend was a salesman. "I am a salesman too" he replyed, telling me he sold bananas after school. I was kind of surprised that he went to school, so I asked him about it. And he confirmed he still went to school and after school he sold bananas.

When my friend came, I invited him in to Jollibee together with us and bought him a meal. He finished his french fries and his drink, and asked if it was allright if he brought the burger back home to give to his brother that hadn't been eating that day.

That little fellow touched something in me. He was a bright kid, he was hard working. It is a shame however he has all odds against him. His mother and father don't work and he had 6 or 7 sibblings. Most likely he will end up in the gutter as well. It is not fair :D

According to my friend Peter, who has lived here for 18 years - "The Philippines is the gutter..." :as-if:

Edited by Damairaki
Mailman
According to my friend Peter, who has lived here for 18 years - "The Philippines is the gutter..." ;)

There are days when I could find myself aggreeing with that statement wholeheartedly... but then, there are other days when I realize that it isn't so bad once you drag yourself up onto the sidewalk and claim that space as your own (i.e., expanding your homestead, opening some sort of vendor stall, parking your motorbike, or just standing around gawking while blocking all foot traffic). :D

Lacion Girl
Hello there,

I just found out about this forum few days ago and I have been wanting to vist Cebu too. Though I have a friend who works in Cebu, he said he is visiting Butuan towards the end of the month so I am thinking I might cancel my trip since no one would be showing me around.

Perhaps I want to know if it's safe for a woman who is alone to travel in Cebu. Any good place that I should not miss while I am there?

Purplewink, Welcome to the forum. It certainly is safe for a woman to travel alone in cebu as long as you keep your sense, wits with you and use common sense, like you do traveling anywhere else in the world. I'm a woman and have expereinces traveling alone to some new and strange places. For me it always fell good that at least I know or somewhat knew somebody to where I'm going. That said, this may be strange to you since you do not know me, but I'd like to offer you some help. I'm not in Cebu right now but I have family out there. They can help you out and my sisters could show you around or they can point you to the safe and good places to go. Both of them are working, have kids and family of their own, so they will not be with you all the time, but they could be a good contact point for you. E-mail me at [email protected] if you still need help. Or you can talk to some forum members and ask for more guidance and maybe meet some forum members who lives in Cebu.

Purplewink
Purplewink, welcome to the forum. :shocked:

If my wife and I were in Cebu right now then we would have been happy to show you around Cebu. I would say that it should be safe as long as you do not walk the streets at night by yourself. Take taxis to the malls and back to your hotel. I have seen a lot of foreign women shopping in the malls but they are usually in pairs and every now and then by themselves but I would guess that they live in Cebu and know their way around.

There is usually a boat trip toward the end of the month and a lot of forum members usually go on it, keep reading the forum and you will find out when the next trip is and hopefully meet a lot of people while on it.

If you go to any of the malls, I am sure you will meet up with other foreigners and I am pretty sure you will even find some from whatever country you originated from. Maybe if you post more about where you are from and what you are seeking to see, then maybe some forum members might kick in and say hello and try to meet you for coffee or help you find a tour guide.

Sorry I could not be of more help and good luck and hope you enjoy Cebu.

Hello Mr. Lee,

Thank for your wonderful insight. I appreciate it. I am actually from Makati and have never been to Cebu. I have travelled in some few places but those were instances that I was with very good friends. I have read about how wonderful this city is so I am hoping to tour around the area and meet new friends.

I plan to travel more often this year so Cebu will be my first stop and while I am alone, makes me very careful.

Anyone who might be interested to meet up for coffee while I am there:)?

But really thanks for the advice..

Purplewink
Hello there,

Purplewink, Welcome to the forum. It certainly is safe for a woman to travel alone in cebu as long as you keep your sense, wits with you and use common sense, like you do traveling anywhere else in the world. I'm a woman and have expereinces traveling alone to some new and strange places. For me it always fell good that at least I know or somewhat knew somebody to where I'm going. That said, this may be strange to you since you do not know me, but I'd like to offer you some help. I'm not in Cebu right now but I have family out there. They can help you out and my sisters could show you around or they can point you to the safe and good places to go. Both of them are working, have kids and family of their own, so they will not be with you all the time, but they could be a good contact point for you. E-mail me at [email protected] if you still need help. Or you can talk to some forum members and ask for more guidance and maybe meet some forum members who lives in Cebu.

Thanks Lacion Girl, I will keep in mind all the things you have said and hopefully I will have a fantastic time in Cebu.. Mr. Lee has given me some pieces of advice so hopefully I'd be fine from thereon.

Thanks so much for being nice and hopefully to meet you one day!

Hello Mr. Lee,

Thank for your wonderful insight. I appreciate it. I am actually from Makati and have never been to Cebu. I have travelled in some few places but those were instances that I was with very good friends. I have read about how wonderful this city is so I am hoping to tour around the area and meet new friends.

I plan to travel more often this year so Cebu will be my first stop and while I am alone, makes me very careful.

You are welcome Purplewink, I take it then that you are a single Filipina from Luzon? You should be perfectly safe in Cebu and although you may not speak Cebuanao, most people also understand Tagalog or English, so you should have no problems as long as you take the same precautions that you most likely take when in Manila. I guess no place in this world is totally safe, but you will no doubt blend in more than one of us from other countries. :shocked:

Anyway, I am sure some on the forum would be willing to meet up with you and I just saw that Bob Ward posted a get together for the forum group set for the Sand Trap on the 23rd, so if you are in town then, be sure to hook up with some of the forum members there and make some friends that way and maybe you will find a tour guide amongst them to show you around.

Here is the link to the post about the get together, bookmark it and keep checking back on it in case there is any changes. I sure wish we were going to be there for this one but we are half way around the world and I doubt we will be back that soon. :wacko:

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/inde...amp;#entry62723

Enjoy Cebu, and another great city to visit that I think you might like is Cagayan de Oro City, it is also very nice and the wife and I love it there too. Have fun.

Edited by Mr. Lee
According to my friend Peter, who has lived here for 18 years - "The Philippines is the gutter..." ;)

I have a question. Why, then, has Peter lived here for 18 years? Or is he too ignorant to figure out there are planes leaving from the country every day?

I love comments like the one made above. Guys come here from all over the world, having decided to live here due to cheaper cost of living, warmer climate, etc. Yet, they find that all they wish to do is to bitch and complain about the Philippines, and how Filipinos do things so wrong, yet they never find the time to buy a ticket that would take them out of this "gutter".

Purplewink
Hello Mr. Lee,

You are welcome Purplewink, I take it then that you are a single Filipina from Luzon? You should be perfectly safe in Cebu and although you may not speak Cebuanao, most people also understand Tagalog or English, so you should have no problems as long as you take the same precautions that you most likely take when in Manila. I guess no place in this world is totally safe, but you will no doubt blend in more than one of us from other countries. ;)

Anyway, I am sure some on the forum would be willing to meet up with you and I just saw that Bob Ward posted a get together for the forum group set for the Sand Trap on the 23rd, so if you are in town then, be sure to hook up with some of the forum members there and make some friends that way and maybe you will find a tour guide amonst them to show you around.

Here is the link to the post about the get together, bookmark it and keep checking back on it in case there is any changes. I sure wish we were going to be there for this one but we are half way around the world and I doubt we will be back that soon. :wacko:

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/inde...amp;#entry62723

Enjoy Cebu, and another great city to visit that I think you might like is Cagayan de Oro City, it is also very nice and the wife and I love it there too. Have fun.

Mr. Lee, thanks again for your help. I will be in Cebu this weekend. I'll be there this Friday and will return Sunday. One of my friends for work helped me prepare for my trip. My friend who works there might be able to drop by over the weekend to see me.

You are right, I am a 29-year-old single woman from Luzon and hoping to get to more places I could dream of. Friends are always welcome so if I meet someone along the way, then that would be really great!

I have a job (which means, I am not lazy, lol..), and well educated too. So I hope to see Cebu this weekend and have lots of fun!

Mr. Lee, thanks again for your help. I will be in Cebu this weekend. I'll be there this Friday and will return Sunday. One of my friends for work helped me prepare for my trip. My friend who works there might be able to drop by over the weekend to see me.

You are right, I am a 29-year-old single woman from Luzon and hoping to get to more places I could dream of. Friends are always welcome so if I meet someone along the way, then that would be really great!

I have a job (which means, I am not lazy, lol..), and well educated too. So I hope to see Cebu this weekend and have lots of fun!

Well, you are the perfect age IMHO, and you have a job ;) are not lazy :wacko: and seem to have a good education, :as-if: wow, you could be the perfect catch for some lucky guy, ;) ;) so hopefully some of the forum members can at least meet you for coffee and say howdy and welcome you to Cebu.

Anyway, keep posting and before long you will be able to pm people and them you and hopefully down the road, you can come back to Cebu and meet up with some of us. ;)

Have a great vacation! :thumbsup:

Purplewink

Well, you are the perfect age IMHO, and you have a job ;) are not lazy :thumbsup: and seem to have a good education, :thumbsup: wow, you could be the perfect catch for some lucky guy, ;):thumbsup: so hopefully some of the forum members can at least meet you for coffee and say howdy and welcome you to Cebu.

Anyway, keep posting and before long you will be able to pm people and them you and hopefully down the road, you can come back to Cebu and meet up with some of us. ;)

Have a great vacation! :thumbsup:

Thanks Mr. Lee, I am really excited.. And to all those who wanna meet up when I am in Cebu, please let me know. I am not looking for someone who can take me to the first flight out of the Philippines (because I have a great job and so far, I like it here).. nor someone who will support me or my family because I have good education and I am confident I can earn money on my own right. Though I am open for relocation, this requires a compromise and in depth discussion..:)

So, see you all in Cebu!!!