Traveling Alone

crewsafe
Well, I never said that murder was "okay in my book", but you have understand that the consequences of that particular scenario (not counting the legal ramifications after the fact) would include someone else's desire to defend oneself or their family with justifiable deadly force. :cool_01:

"but I personally feel that everyone has the right to do whatever the hell they want..."

Your words aren't they?

So if everyone has the right to do "Whatever the Hell they want" in a given society, isn't that called "Anarchy?" :wt-hell:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crewsafe

• Mailman

• Purplewink

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"but I personally feel that everyone has the right to do whatever the hell they want..."

Your words aren't they?

So if everyone has the right to do "Whatever the Hell they want" in a given society, isn't that called "Anarchy?" :wt-hell:

Yes, taken out of context.

I also agree with Robert51. It's sad to see that even so called experienced expats buy that BS about street children. I have yet to see one who declines my offer for a feeding at Jollibee. Those kids are not on drugs, they are just plain hungry.

But hey, do the rich filipinos a favour and push them off your side window. Doesn't take much effort, they are weak already.

Mailman

Your words aren't they?

Yes, but it is a pretty far stretch from saying that murder is 'okay in my book'.

So if everyone has the right to do "Whatever the Hell they want" in a given society, isn't that called "Anarchy?"

No, because there is law (among other deterrents)... as referenced in the 'consequences' portion you had conveniently left out to make your case.

All I am saying is that everyone makes choices in their lives. They may not always make the best or correct choice, but it is their right to make them. Taking into account the possible consequences (as well as expecting to accept full responsibility for them) should be a major part of that decision-making process.

Crew is correct in that chaos and anarchy are the result of little or no personal responsibly. No one has the RIGHT to make stupid or harmful choices in any sane society. :wt-hell:

I have had children begging near Osmena Circle refuse offered water and food and instead asked for MONEY. I have also had them try for my pockets. Many of them are managed to bring in cash. That is a fact.

Still I give money and food & water to beggars sometimes. We also support a foundation we donate to and work with in Philippines.

Yes, but it is a pretty far stretch from saying that murder is 'okay in my book'.

No, because there is law (among other deterrents)... as referenced in the 'consequences' portion you had conveniently left out to make your case.

All I am saying is that everyone makes choices in their lives. They may not always make the best or correct choice, but it is their right to make them. Taking into account the possible consequences (as well as expecting to accept full responsibility for them) should be a major part of that decision-making process.

crewsafe

So now you are saying that the "consequences of a persons actions" should be taken into consideration when making decisions?

I do believe this is called being a good citizen, obeying the laws of the land, etc. Very much in contrast to your earlier comments about people being allowed "To do whatever the Hell they want." :wt-hell:

smokey
:wt-hell::cool_01::wink:

i agree with scianna54 //// in the US if your hungry and need a place to rest you can go to many homeless shelters or get Food Stamps and then a social worker will help you fill out the papers for a Apartment and a monthly check and arrange for any medical needs you have or your children to include a taxi at state expense to your dental appointments... Now compare this to the Philippines as my wife said to me... here if your hungry and your family will not feed you then you will die.. ok now your 7 years old so what do you do.... get a job? well that is not happening ... or beg for a few peso from the rich foreigner who rides in his car which cost more then your whole family will see in a lifetime... If your hungry your hungry right now... so forget give to an charity . And forget the church...when i was young i went to catholic school i was in 4th grade it was March and my mother did not have the school fee for me and asked the church to please give her time as i had been a student from grade 1... well i started public school in April the church said no money no school sorry... Well if a church want's my money pry it from my dead hands ... I still give but i want to give direct to the people who need it,, today ..If your driving to the mall or whatever and you see a child at your window pleading with his had outstretched ,, look close is he carrying a plastic bag? Is his nose running ? are his eyes blank? If not most likely your looking at a hungry child just thank your lord its not someone in YOUR family and open the window and offer the child something ,,,, food , 5 peso ,,, water... it will bring you good luck or good Kama..

Mailman
So now you are saying that the "consequences of a persons actions" should be taken into consideration when making decisions?

I do believe this is called being a good citizen, obeying the laws of the land, etc. Very much in contrast to your earlier comments about people being allowed "To do whatever the Hell they want." :wt-hell:

Heh. Nothing has changed and nothing is in contrast. I had mentioned accepting consequences from the beginning... Surely, you remember. It was the provision you had chose to ignore when you started this argument.

Shall we look at them together?

1. Not that I endorse breaking the law, but I personally feel that everyone has the right to do whatever the hell they want... provided that they are willing to fully accept the potential consequences of said action whether they be legal, social, financial, and/or moral.
  2. All I am saying is that everyone makes choices in their lives. They may not always make the best or correct choice, but it is their right to make them. Taking into account the possible consequences (as well as expecting to accept full responsibility for them) should be a major part of that decision-making process.

Now, I believe that these two statements (in their entirety!) are more or less equal in meaning. You, however, are interpretting the former as a promotion of anarchy with murder being okay and the latter as "being a good citizen, obeying the laws of the land".

I only reworded the first statement for your clarification. The meaning is still the same. It worked apparently...

Now, I agree that anarchy is bad, but that isn't what I am talking about at all. We have law, we have order (somewhat), and we have religous and social influences. These are the entities that provide both the positive and negative consequences whenever you choose to do anything.

And I never said that people were allowed to do whatever the hell they want, only that they had to right to do it if they so chose... that doesn't necessarily include that the person has the right to be successful or be free of the various types of repercussions.

Unless you are in favor of thought control or a preemptive Minority Report-esque society, there really shouldn't have been any opposition to the concept of Free Will. :cool_01:

Anywhooo... we are detracting from the purpose of this thread. Move to another?

it was almost christmas and i was in a jeepney on my way to school and there was a kid singing christmas carols waiting for people to give him money. I had no other coins with me but a .50 cent coin. so i gave it to the child... the child looked at how much i gave him, he was probably upset to see he only got .50 cents so he threw the coin back at me. lol. How much did he expect? lol. I was only a student. O.o? Probably he got so used to receiving 10p - 20p from foreigners that he dont want to receive .50 cents from a student. lol

I'm a backpacker, so iv had the pleasure of seeing the philippines 3 times. 7 1/2 months in total. iv always travelled on my own, and tried not to go to the dodgy areas, no matter how much i love tribes and differant cultures. just keep your wits about you and remember if someone doesnt behave the way they should in your home country, warning bells ahead. but dont be paranoid either cos the filippino are the most friendlest of the planet. i guess the most toursit places will get you the most scams compared to areas not visited much will get you treated like david beckham was in the japanese airport.

if you want to keep your bags with you in the back seat of the taxi, you can. at least you can get out with your bags without him driving off. or if they are in the boot [truck], you can kindly ask him to open it for you. stops him from driving off with your stuff if you happen to get out.

carry lots of spare change, even bills below 100 pesos. stops you from giving to much to a taxi driver when the ride is a 70 pesos ride. sure, give a tip or 10-15 pesos. just dont over do it. but i sometimes give if the dont request. if they request, they dont get.

dont go for 'friendly' drinks with strangers to bars. you may end up paying stupid prices. its comman sense esp with spiked drinks or chocalate. but really, i found more scams in thailand on places like Thanon Khaosan than philippines

dont really give money to the street kids, no matter how much you feel sorry for them. remember its both wrong, it doesnt help them, just encourges them and most likely the kids wont get to keep the money. it be used for drugs. buy food and if they knock it back, then it shows they only want money for other uses

be careful with some of the girls. some can be right bitches [the same equilvent to girls in your home country] lots of make-up and tattoos looks rough i know. but there are many sweet filipinos there and you're most likely to find some happeness there. course, being a bloke you may want to check out the entertainemnt. but thats all it is. these girls either have a choice. work in depressing bars for 10-20,000 for a night or 100 pesos a day working in a hotel for 12 hours. [my gf works downtown in a popular hotel in cebu]

be wary of someone trying to sit either side to you in an empty jeepney. you may be set up for pickpocketing. if in doubt, get out and get another or wait for more people.

most SMB would cost more in an entertainment club. 60 pesos upwards. on the street, in sari -sari stalls you can buy for 22 pesos. maybe 20 if you're lucky. [i wasn't]

if arriving at night or evening at manila airport, be wary of the taxi drivers. you can catch a bus on the highway which will lead you somewhere closes to Edsa/Taft from there either get a jeepney to the station or get a decent taxi. ask for the meter. or you can get a metered taxi anywhere within a short distance for 500 pesos.[you pay before hand at the ticket booth] a total rip off. a 12 km taxi ride at about midday can cost 120 pesos depending on traffic, so paying 500 pesos for a short hop in town is not worth it

i cant really think of any more to be honest. but iv had no problems and always get out of tourist places. i was also wary of seeing my girlfriends family in the middle of no where in mindano, but fortunatly it was on the east side, 5 hours from Davao. i wanted to travel to the tribal areas but i was told its off limits. bombings in cotabo etc.

• 5 weeks later...
westcoastnative
Treat it like any other big city. I would not walk in San Francisco in certain areas or Oakland or Richmond, even in daytime.

Agreed!

jrincon17
Agreed!

I just got back from traveling alone there, was great although I did meet someone the 2nd day there. Just mind your business , be nice and friendly and dont be stupid and youll be fine. Use your best judgement. :crack-up:

• 10 months later...
orlandkid1965

Listen I travel to Cebu City and ride the jeepney all by myself. No one has ever bothered me or tried to rob me. I do keep my eyes open as you would when you travel to any new place. If you get in a taxi make sure they turn the meter on. If you ride in a jeepney make sure you know the cost before hand so your not asking and looking like a newbe. Keep your head on a swivel and your eyes open and no one will bother you. I love Cebu and going there is the best part of my time when I am there.

Frosty

Just get to know the beggars. You will learn which ones are for real and which ones are not.

Today at the ATM, i dropped two pesos, and instead of making the effort to pick them up, I just instructed the beggar the keep them. Then, after I left, one of the boys chased me down to hand me my receipt, which I forgot. Often, the adult beggars, they won't even bother begging from me. They will ask all the Filipinos around me, but they have learned that I have a very icy heart.

However, I sometimes try to make conversation with the beggars.