Traveling Alone

tom_shor
Life is not fair, but what you did is acceptable.

Anytime we run across street kids, either begging, or panhandling, the wife flat tells them that what they are doing is wrong & that she knows that if she gives them money they will gamble it away, buy rugby glue, or their lazy arsed parents will take it from them. She then offers to buy them a snack. Surprisingly, alot of these kids will refuse it, asking for money instead, which ain't gonna happen.

sometime when you have a few minutes, position yourself so you can observe how these kids operate. I'm sure that you will eventually spot the adult in the background controlling them & periodically taking the money that they have begged. These are the A-holes you should go up to & vent your ire. :lmao:

I never give them money most of them have managers who just take it from them. I have given them food or candy or if it is a hot day a bottle of mineral water. That way at least the kid gets the benifit. If they refuse it. (i've never had them do that) just walk on.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crewsafe

• Mailman

• Purplewink

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you can get around without a guide if you need to, but it is very reassuring to have someone that knows the area generally to assist you.

Some of the rules that were explained to me.

1. Don't flash a lot of cash. Think about how to keep spending money, credit cards, and reserve money separate.

2. Don't flash expensive jewelry and cell phone. In a mall, it is fine to use phone, not so out in the street or on a jeepney.

3. Don't flash it around in taxi when it is stopped at light. Lock your doors. Generally not a problem, but yes, bad guys have come up to a taxi at a stop light and tucked a gun into some passengers face.

4. Careful who you drink with, if you decide to tip a few.

5. Have taxi driver use meter "Pa ann doo ran ang metro" (yeah, guys, I know that's not the right spelling)

6. Don't argue with taxi driver or berate him. You have no idea where he will drop you. ###### him off enough and it can be somewhere you really don't want to be.

7. Smile and be friendly even when you think you shouldn't have to.

8. Joke with them. Everyone likes jokes here.

Malls are pretty safe and a great place to do a bit of pleasant rubbernecking. Fun to do a bit of comparison shopping too. Of course it is hard to compare a VCD to DVD, but prices are pleasantly different. Electronics will scare your pants off. Not much dickering to be had in a mall. Dickering in regular world is much more acceptable.

<-- I am a newbie feeling his way around Cebu/Bohol/Boracay, too.

CaptainJackson
Well there matey.....ya feel that the eye patch...peg leg....bandanna around your head and that ridicules parrot on your shoulder didn't make you stand out in the Phils.....damn it man......that would make you stand out in Key West....

:lmao: No, it was the height.

The patch, hook, and leg all blended right in. I just looked like a BAYOT. :lmao:

• 4 weeks later...
kingfisher
I would say that as long as you are very mobile and are very aware of all of the scams that both Filipinos and foreigners will try and pull on you, then you will be somewhat safe, but you will also be a very tempting target, so take that advice for what it is worth.

Best bet...hook up with selected guys & gals from this site in the area that you will be in & check in with them regularly. Buy a cheap cell phone & talk to them about any "Problems" that you may be encountering, or warning signs that you have noticed.

This is a great place to live, but in reality you have to be very cautious of the multitude of scams that are present. :kidding:

Crewsafe,

What kind of scams, done by foreigners, are you talking about? Any particular nationalities come to mind, or are we just talking about the regular drunkard chacacter ran out of money and wants to continue his holiday?

Alan S

I just read a thread on another board where, whilst visiting a bar, a foreigner wandered over to chat to the "victim".

Soon after, the foreigner left the bar.

Shortly afterwards the "victim" asked for his bill and was amazed at the total.

The foreigner had told the waitress that he would pay for his(foreigners) drinks.

In this case it was resolved.

As a general rule DO NOT give or lend money to anyone, irrespective of their nationality or sob story.

smokey

6. Do not give money to street children or beggars. In Cebu, it's unlawful to do so. You could be fined if you ignore this law. Quote...

You can if you want buy a box of noodles at Mackro which cost you about 5 to 6 peso a bag 400 a box and give that out to street children ... as for the against the law .,,, i give out at least 1000 P a month in 5 p coins and i am still not in jail... you will learn there are 10,000,000,000 laws here on the books and as for enforcement well they enforce maybe 0000000000.1 % once i got pulled over for not wearing a seat belt ... haha ha funny when you think of all the Jeepneys without doors, lights , and especially the ones who put out a smoke screen behind them like the old nave boats during the big one WW2.

crewsafe
Crewsafe,

What kind of scams, done by foreigners, are you talking about? Any particular nationalities come to mind, or are we just talking about the regular drunkard chacacter ran out of money and wants to continue his holiday?

I have actually had Americans come up to me & try to give me some sad story about their money being tied up in a bank & could I loan them a few thousand pesos until their money arrived & then they would pay me back. Obviously I was NOT falling for that "Co*k & Bull" story.

After further investigation, these same characters had been hitting up every foreigner they ran across & many giving them money.

This same scam has been tried over the years. Many old hands see this for what it is, but guys who have not been here very long will often fall for the, "We Americans (insert your own nationality) need to stick together." It is nothing but a scam. :crack-up:

WorldlyPatriot
6. Do not give money to street children or beggars. In Cebu, it's unlawful to do so. You could be fined if you ignore this law. Quote...

... as for the against the law .,,, i give out at least 1000 P a month in 5 p coins and i am still not in jail... you will learn there are 10,000,000,000 laws here on the books and as for enforcement well they enforce maybe 0000000000.1 %

So, Robert, let me make sure I understand your philosophy about respecting the laws of a foreign country..........you intentionally IGNORE RP Law? And you do it P5 at a time, at a rate of P1K per month. If my math serves me correctly, you violate the law 200 times per month.

What gives you, or any foreigner, the right to intentionally ignore and violate RP Law, and what kind of example are you setting for any children you may be raising?

It's bad enough that MOST of the street children receiving the money are using it for rugby (glue-sniffing) or the funds are given to an adult handler, many times, a parent or scam artist.

If your spouse, significant other, and/or family depend on you, why give RP Law Enforcement any reason to lock you up or embarrass you?

What other RP laws do you think are "optional" for foreigners? Would you consider standing during the playing of the RP National Anthem an "optional" law?

To me, any foreigner who intentionally ignores or violates the laws of a nation they are a "guest" in is setting a very poor example for the rest of us. Ignorance of a law may provide some mitigating circumstances. However, intentionally ignoring the law you know is on the books, is well publicized, and a law that actually makes sense, is indefensible.....especially if you are raising children and may be looked up to as the family mentor and breadwinner.

Yes, many laws are ignored in RP........but no foreigner has ANY right to consider RP law "optional." IMHO, to intentionally violate RP law, no matter how trivial, is indefensible, ignorant, and disrespectful to your adopted country.

Mailman

Not that I endorse breaking the law, but I personally feel that everyone has the right to do whatever the hell they want... provided that they are willing to fully accept the potential consequences of said action whether they be legal, social, financial, and/or moral.

Edited by Mailman
crewsafe
Not that I endorse breaking the law, but I personally feel that everyone has the right to do whatever the hell they want... provided that they are willing to fully accept the potential consequences of said action whether they be legal, social, financial, and/or moral.

So if someone is willing to accept "the potential consequences of said action whether they be legal, social, financial, and/or moral," of lets say..."Killing someone" that just happens to be related to you, then that would be okay in your book? :wt-hell:

Mailman
So if someone is willing to accept "the potential consequences of said action whether they be legal, social, financial, and/or moral," of lets say..."Killing someone" that just happens to be related to you, then that would be okay in your book? :wt-hell:

Well, I never said that murder was "okay in my book", but you have understand that the consequences of that particular scenario (not counting the legal ramifications after the fact) would include someone else's desire to defend oneself or their family with justifiable deadly force. :cool_01:

Edited by Mailman
smokey
So, Robert, let me make sure I understand your philosophy about respecting the laws of a foreign country..........you intentionally IGNORE RP Law? And you do it P5 at a time, at a rate of P1K per month. If my math serves me correctly, you violate the law 200 times per month.

What gives you, or any foreigner, the right to intentionally ignore and violate RP Law, and what kind of example are you setting for any children you may be raising?

It's bad enough that MOST of the street children receiving the money are using it for rugby (glue-sniffing) or the funds are given to an adult handler, many times, a parent or scam artist.

If your spouse, significant other, and/or family depend on you, why give RP Law Enforcement any reason to lock you up or embarrass you?

What other RP laws do you think are "optional" for foreigners? Would you consider standing during the playing of the RP National Anthem an "optional" law?

To me, any foreigner who intentionally ignores or violates the laws of a nation they are a "guest" in is setting a very poor example for the rest of us. Ignorance of a law may provide some mitigating circumstances. However, intentionally ignoring the law you know is on the books, is well publicized, and a law that actually makes sense, is indefensible.....especially if you are raising children and may be looked up to as the family mentor and breadwinner.

Yes, many laws are ignored in RP........but no foreigner has ANY right to consider RP law "optional." IMHO, to intentionally violate RP law, no matter how trivial, is indefensible, ignorant, and disrespectful to your adopted country.

gee i guess sometimes i break the law 10 times in one day... but then that is just my choice.. i grew up poor and i am pretty good at spotting hungry children and rugby children maybe its my vast experience with all the 1200 x 5 years i have under my belt.. Shee one time i gave money to a kid selling rags ,, i did not need the rags and did not take any but felt like rewarding him for working i gave him 20p but i was not afraid as my wifes cousin was in the car and he is a police men .. Don't get me started on laws especially here... I think some people use that law as a excuse to ignore the hungry lets face it sitting in the hot traffic with your air con blasting on your way to the mall to spend a few thousand and yet the children who are so skinny you can see their bones sticking out are looking at you almost crying... Gee maybe i am going to get scammed for 5 p or maybe the kid really is hungry and not part of a mafia that works the street .. ha ha ... oh well arrest me That rugby thing is 90% bulls***.. the reason the city does not want you to give to beggars is its bad for the tourist to SEE . Example the Asian summit.. lets see how much money was spent to show the visitors how Cebu has no traffic and pretty lights everywhere , and Clean well paved streets.. There is not a system in place here like other countries ... NO Foodstamps,, NO Free apt.. NO free medical ...sometimes people just find themselves in a place they can not get out of....Letting the tourist see the poor and the beggars does not make them want to invest and that pisses off the ones who make millions from these investments.. Stop Food Stamps and stop welfare and you will see beggers in the US and all over...

World Traveller
gee i guess sometimes i break the law 10 times in one day... but then that is just my choice.. i grew up poor and i am pretty good at spotting hungry children and rugby children maybe its my vast experience with all the 1200 x 5 years i have under my belt.. Shee one time i gave money to a kid selling rags ,, i did not need the rags and did not take any but felt like rewarding him for working i gave him 20p but i was not afraid as my wifes cousin was in the car and he is a police men .. Don't get me started on laws especially here... I think some people use that law as a excuse to ignore the hungry lets face it sitting in the hot traffic with your air con blasting on your way to the mall to spend a few thousand and yet the children who are so skinny you can see their bones sticking out are looking at you almost crying... Gee maybe i am going to get scammed for 5 p or maybe the kid really is hungry and not part of a mafia that works the street .. ha ha ... oh well arrest me That rugby thing is 90% bulls***.. the reason the city does not want you to give to beggars is its bad for the tourist to SEE . Example the Asian summit.. lets see how much money was spent to show the visitors how Cebu has no traffic and pretty lights everywhere , and Clean well paved streets.. There is not a system in place here like other countries ... NO Foodstamps,, NO Free apt.. NO free medical ...sometimes people just find themselves in a place they can not get out of....Letting the tourist see the poor and the beggars does not make them want to invest and that pisses off the ones who make millions from these investments.. Stop Food Stamps and stop welfare and you will see beggers in the US and all over...

Well said Robert!!!

Just so there's no confusion concerning the law on the books about giving to beggars. It's not a Nation wide law, it's not a Cebu Island wide law it's only a Cebu City ordinance which I've never seen enforced.

Just curious, has anyone seen this ordinance enforced?

smokey
Just so there's no confusion concerning the law on the books about giving to beggars. It's not a Nation wide law, it's not a Cebu Island wide law it's only a Cebu City ordinance which I've never seen enforced.

Just curious, has anyone seen this ordinance enforced?

well if it was enforced i would be one of the many caught.... Its like justice i have heard it said... I would rather let 9 gulity men go free then to imprison one who is not guilty... If i see a kid or an adult with a disability i will give them a few coins... 10p because i admire them for working in the hot streets sucking up fumes .. dodgeing traffic ... hour after hour.. my wife said before she meet me her children would sell rags and other little items like candy in the parking lot of Gisano mall to make money for school supplies or a pair of rubber shoes.. little extras... I really dont give a lot to beggers but sometimes i look into their eyes and i just cant help myself, i see a tired , hungry kid , most often dirty and if i get scammed sometimes so what .....