Traveling Alone

First I would like to say what a comfort it is to find this forum and read through all the wonderful submissions. Truly a gift!

My first question is general im sure and im looking for general perceptions and thoughts.

The thought of going to Cebu.

I'm interested in traveling there and doing the general tourist things. In addition I would like to meet some people in person.

I have read information from both sides of the fence on traveling perspectives. One is from those who are there on a "joy ride" per se, and others who are looking to find long term partners. I would be the latter. I take my relationships seriously.

My question is about exploring places by myself. Most likely monuments parks and malls restaurants etc. Is it easy to move around safely by ones self?

Should i find an ex-pat to check in with?

Are their groups I can/should join?

Are their guide services that i can/should hire to take me around? (a chaperone per se')

Do the hotels provide transportation to and from popular locations?

Should I plan to walk from place to place when locations are near enough?

Again, is it safe to work alone? :as-if:

Thanks for any responses. I am guessing these are newcommer questions and I appreciate your sharing. Its nice to get some general ideas on what to expect. My experiences out of the US are limited to Mexican Border towns, Belize and Cozumel. for a frame of reference.

Thanks!

TOm

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crewsafe

• Purplewink

• Mailman

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would say that as long as you are very mobile and are very aware of all of the scams that both Filipinos and foreigners will try and pull on you, then you will be somewhat safe, but you will also be a very tempting target, so take that advice for what it is worth.

Best bet...hook up with selected guys & gals from this site in the area that you will be in & check in with them regularly. Buy a cheap cell phone & talk to them about any "Problems" that you may be encountering, or warning signs that you have noticed.

This is a great place to live, but in reality you have to be very cautious of the multitude of scams that are present. :as-if:

I wouldn't say that it's unsafe but it may feel like that sometimes. The way things work here are just somewhat different and you need an adjustment period in order to find out what is normal and what situations could cause a danger and should be avoided.

freeheeler

I would say just read as many posts as you can and learn what to look out for, it may still come as a suprise when it happens tho!! (which is what I found on my first visit).

When you arrive, or preferably just before, try and contact Danny the taxi driver, he's an excellent first point of contact on setting foot in Cebu, safe and reliable. I used him all the time and he was very honest and will pick you up at your hotel, drop you off wherever you want and pick you up again at any pre arranged time or location.

The malls are modern and I would say safe but keep your wits about you like you would anywhere else.

Treat it like any other big city. I would not walk in San Francisco in certain areas or Oakland or Richmond, even in daytime.

But I'm sure you will love it!!!

There will be lots of help from people here, just ask!!

WorldlyPatriot

You've already received some excellent advice. Let me add a couple of recommendations:

1. If you use jeepneys, you want to be especially aware and guard against pickpockets. They are very professional in Cebu, and more than a few members of this forum have been victims, or almost victimized. Don't use your cell phone in the jeepney unless you're the only passenger (highly unlikely you'll be alone in Cebu......they usually have multiple passengers).

2. Keep your wallet in your front pocket, and consider securing it to your belt with a chain. Specially made chains (and wallets) are for sale at SM and Robinsons Department stores, and probably other places. Never carry more than you need (cash and credit/debit card). Keep a copy of your passport in your wallet, and keep the passport in a safety deposit box at a reputable hotel. Always secure your luggage at the hotel (keep it locked when out of the room, and chain it to something, if possible, to deter rogue housekeepers).

3. Don't get into an argument or a fight with a Filipino. Just walk away, even if you're justified in doing so. It's not worth the trouble. EXCEPTION: If you are assaulted, do what you think you need to do to defend yourself. However, if you avoid trouble, trouble will generally avoid you. If you are kind and stay away from high-risk areas, the chances of having problems are almost nil.

4. If a male Filipino takes more than a "general" interest in you, let that be a warning sign for a possible scam. Never play cards with Filipinos, unless you know them very well, and trust them.

5. As in any location, be aware of your surroundings, and take the same precautions you take in your own country to avoid being a victim.

6. Do not give money to street children or beggars. In Cebu, it's unlawful to do so. You could be fined if you ignore this law.

Good Luck!

freeheeler

6. Do not give money to street children or beggars. In Cebu, it's unlawful to do so. You could be fined if you ignore this law.

Good Luck!

I never knew about that one!!! I was always handing out loose change

Wow! I've not heard that one either. Fascinating.

be especially aware and guard against pickpockets

Be aware of pickpockets that may slash your handbag or backpack as well. You will not even realize they've cut the bag and removed something until it's too late.

As in any location, be aware of your surroundings, and take the same precautions you take in your own country to avoid being a victim.
:as-if:

Thanks you all for the kind responses!

I look forward to learning more from you all.

Tom

Jim Sibbick

Good Luck!

I never knew about that one!!! I was always handing out loose change

This was clipped from a Cebu newspaper a couple of years ago.

post-12-1176078164_thumb.jpg

Usually I ignore the street children too. Unless they are selling something, then I may buy.

I remember one time though, I was sitting on my motorcycle waiting for a friend of mine outside Jollibee in A.S. Fortuna in Mandaue. Then this boy comes up to me and starts talking. At first I though: Another begging street kid :lmao:

He was 10 years old. He did start to interest me though. He spoke well english, at least enough for us to communicate. For at street kid that age I was surprised. He asked me who I was waiting for and what kind of job he had. I said my friend was a salesman. "I am a salesman too" he replyed, telling me he sold bananas after school. I was kind of surprised that he went to school, so I asked him about it. And he confirmed he still went to school and after school he sold bananas.

When my friend came, I invited him in to Jollibee together with us and bought him a meal. He finished his french fries and his drink, and asked if it was allright if he brought the burger back home to give to his brother that hadn't been eating that day.

That little fellow touched something in me. He was a bright kid, he was hard working. It is a shame however he has all odds against him. His mother and father don't work and he had 6 or 7 sibblings. Most likely he will end up in the gutter as well. It is not fair :angry:

Usually I ignore the street children too. Unless they are selling something, then I may buy.

I remember one time though, I was sitting on my motorcycle waiting for a friend of mine outside Jollibee in A.S. Fortuna in Mandaue. Then this boy comes up to me and starts talking. At first I though: Another begging street kid :lmao:

He was 10 years old. He did start to interest me though. He spoke well english, at least enough for us to communicate. For at street kid that age I was surprised. He asked me who I was waiting for and what kind of job he had. I said my friend was a salesman. "I am a salesman too" he replyed, telling me he sold bananas after school. I was kind of surprised that he went to school, so I asked him about it. And he confirmed he still went to school and after school he sold bananas.

When my friend came, I invited him in to Jollibee together with us and bought him a meal. He finished his french fries and his drink, and asked if it was allright if he brought the burger back home to give to his brother that hadn't been eating that day.

That little fellow touched something in me. He was a bright kid, he was hard working. It is a shame however he has all odds against him. His mother and father don't work and he had 6 or 7 sibblings. Most likely he will end up in the gutter as well. It is not fair :)

Life is not fair, but what you did is acceptable.

Anytime we run across street kids, either begging, or panhandling, the wife flat tells them that what they are doing is wrong & that she knows that if she gives them money they will gamble it away, buy rugby glue, or their lazy arsed parents will take it from them. She then offers to buy them a snack. Surprisingly, alot of these kids will refuse it, asking for money instead, which ain't gonna happen.

sometime when you have a few minutes, position yourself so you can observe how these kids operate. I'm sure that you will eventually spot the adult in the background controlling them & periodically taking the money that they have begged. These are the A-holes you should go up to & vent your ire. :angry:

Alan S

To me, that law is solely intended to put money in the hands of the politicians and I doubt that ANY of it goes to the street kids.

Well, maybe a token amount when elections are pending, or if a news team is present.

As for travelling alone, dont worry about it.

As I have posted before, in around 50 trips over the past 17 years, including travel to some places deemed unsafe, etc, I have never had any problem whatsoever.

• 3 weeks later...
CaptainJackson
To me, that law is solely intended to put money in the hands of the politicians and I doubt that ANY of it goes to the street kids.

Well, maybe a token amount when elections are pending, or if a news team is present.

As for travelling alone, dont worry about it.

As I have posted before, in around 50 trips over the past 17 years, including travel to some places deemed unsafe, etc, I have never had any problem whatsoever.

I admit that I hadn't heard about the unlawful donations to street beggers, until I returned home from the Philippines. But what i did was as Torestre has done. My friend and I saw street kids and instead of giving them money, he bought meals for them, from a street vendor.

Those kids ate fasfer than I have ever seen anyone make food disapear.

Unfair? Very unfair. It makes you want to help all the street kids, but of course, you cannot.

Very sad.

As for "traveling" alone, I didn't travel alone, but I walked alone around Talisay City, and down what I would call "alleys" and never had a problem. I found that the people who spoke English were extremely friendly. I must admit that I got alot of strange loooks, as if the people were thinking "What is a Kano doing on my street?" :lmao:

I was told that it probably wasn't the smatrest thing I could have done, but I stood out amongst the locals. I'm 6 feet tall and have blonde hair (what isn't grey yet is still blonde).

I miss the place..............................

Edited by CaptainJackson

but I stood out amongst the locals. I'm 6 feet tall and have blonde hair (what isn't grey yet is still blonde).

Well there matey.....ya feel that the eye patch...peg leg....bandanna around your head and that ridicules parrot on your shoulder didn't make you stand out in the Phils.....damn it man......that would make you stand out in Key West.... :lmao::lmao: sorry.....

"the devil made me do it"

post-4-1177533762_thumb.jpg