Complaints rise over body scanners

• Admin (Retired)
broden

interestingly, the Israelis haven't joined the queue to buy these machines. They remain skeptical as to their usefulness. They rely on profiling at their airports (and every other airport in the world where El Al flies).

Full-body scanners are waste of money, Israeli expert says

http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Full+body+scanners+waste+money+Israeli+expert+says/2941610/story.html

I don't know why everybody is running to buy these expensive and useless machines. I can overcome the body scanners with enough explosives to bring down a Boeing 747," Rafi Sela told parliamentarians probing the state of aviation safety in Canada.

"That's why we haven't put them in our airport," Sela said, referring to Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion International Airport, which has some of the toughest security in the world.

Sela, former chief security officer of the Israel Airport Authority and a 30-year veteran in airport security and defence technology, helped design the security at Ben Gurion.

He told MPs on the House of Commons transport committee via video conference from Kfar Vradim, Israel, that he wouldn't reveal how to get past the virtual strip-search scanners, but said he can provide briefings to officials with security clearance.

Israel knows what they are doing .. other countries are just too P.C. to admit it works and follow their lead

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tom_shor

• Cary

• RetiredNavyGuy

• broden

The terrorists are the government. They have won. Enjoy your fascist police state. I'll never fly again.

Well Said....The majority of protest are coming from Pilots and Flight Attendants who had to go through x-ray scanner for like 4-5 times a week..which is really dangerous..else not..get touched by different security men and women 4-5 times a week in different airports in all your private areas and body...thats really yuuuuck!!! after a while...Its classic Problem-Reaction-Solution...In Asia its only in Seoul and Tokyo Airports...it would take some years to come to other countries but it will if American people accepts it..

They will have an excuse that if great American people could accept it..why can't people form third world country..and believe me im from third world country and they ALWAYS always use this excuse of America to get things done here or pass laws

tom_shor

I for one don't get it. Really. Everyone knows thaat these scanners will xray you. I understand how some people like this guy says, ' my personal privacy, etc.' But to me whats more important, 20 - 30 seconds being scanned or and this is not fiction anymore, a nut job with a bomb sits next to you and blows the plane? If you find that the screeners or the airport is posting your pictures on playboy.com, I'm all for suing them until the cows come home. Burt when they are just doing their job and their job is to help you be as safe as possible while you are flying, then again I ask what is the problem? If you have nothing to hide, then the 20 - 30 seconds likely means that you arrive at your destination safely.

What if it turns out the x-ray scanners really are bad for you and they just don't know it yet? I'll opt out of the x-ray scanner due to health, not privacy, concerns. Back when x-ray technology first came out, they used to have flurooscope machines in every shoe store in America. They didn't know that they were exposing people to harmful levels of radiation. They expsed people for decades because they didn't know any better. I don't think the govt. should encourage people to get dosed with radiation for security purposes.

Also, what will the govt. do if a car bomb goes off somewhere? Or how about when a suicide bomber walks into a crowded shopping mall and blows themselves up? Will we then say that anyone walking or driving must be searched in order to safeguard our society?

I'm very tired of the govt. taking away our privacy in order to promote the illusion of security.

You are absolutely correct. So far everyone they have caught or have been aware of have made it through the security screening. I don't recall ever reading about them catching one of these guys in the security screen. They are searching the wrong people.

I would also like to say quite a few of these TSA people I have delt with are definately not the sharpest tools in the shed.

tom_shor

Mailman;

You are correct the terrorists have won in that they have forced us to live like this. And this is not going to change. Am I happy with my wife going through this? No I am not. Am I happy that my mother has to go through this? No I am not. But if it means that they will fly a bit safer, it increases the chance we catch one of these bad guys even a little bit, that helps because they only have to be right once. But we have to be right all the time. This is not is not perfect but i helps.

Will we fly safer? They never catch these guys in the security screening.

I for one don't get it. Really. Everyone knows thaat these scanners will xray you. I understand how some people like this guy says, ' my personal privacy, etc.' But to me whats more important, 20 - 30 seconds being scanned or and this is not fiction anymore, a nut job with a bomb sits next to you and blows the plane? If you find that the screeners or the airport is posting your pictures on playboy.com, I'm all for suing them until the cows come home. Burt when they are just doing their job and their job is to help you be as safe as possible while you are flying, then again I ask what is the problem? If you have nothing to hide, then the 20 - 30 seconds likely means that you arrive at your destination safely.

I agree with you in essence but with this one caveat: TSA is under-trained, under-paid, and under-recruited; HD needs to budget accordingly and make all these equipment expenses worthwhile

ps "nationalising" the airlines wouldn't hurt either - NO, I am not a communist!

TheMatrix

I'll be sure to opt out the next time I fly and if the TSA agents give me a hard time, I plan on embarrassing the hell out of him by dropping my pants and lifting my balls, and yanking my pud inches from his face. I refuse to be humiliated.

tom_shor

I'll be sure to opt out the next time I fly and if the TSA agents give me a hard time, I plan on embarrassing the hell out of him by dropping my pants and lifting my balls, and yanking my pud inches from his face. I refuse to be humiliated.

Be sure you post the video.

better bring a stepladder (you've already covered the humiliation aspect)...

Edited by win

I would also like to say quite a few of these TSA people I have delt with are definately not the sharpest tools in the shed.

lol compared to their predecessors every one is Harvard faculty material.

Many years ago before Terrorist bombings, underwear or shoes or whatever, I attended a seminar in Las Vegas for some software the business I worked for had just purchased.

The CEO of the company that sold the software gave a "Greetings" speech and talk about his fear of flying, specifically the threat that someone would blow up the plane - he had his actuary department figure out the odds of flying on an airplane that had a bomb aboard - they came back with a figure that was something like a Billion to one.

So the CEO carried it further and wanted to know what the odds were that there would ever be a flight where two bombs would be on board - the actuary department reported that the odds were so great that the number could not be written.

Yep you guessed it - now whenever the CEO Flies he carries his own Bomb -

That was funny 25 yrs ago - couldn't get away with telling that joke today - but maybe it would be as safe to do that. as it would to refuse any kind of security check point

Perhaps I am not the seasoned traveler as many of you are - but for the most part, regardless of their IQ, I have been treated courteously and respectfully by people who are barely making minimum wage and having to put up with people who believe their shit doesn't stink, 8 hours a day.

Tell you what lets pay these people more money, get better technology requiring the TSA employee to have college degrees and then we can all bitch that the price of an airline ticket has increased 4000% and it still hasn't done anything to prevent a bomber from getting on a plane....

whew - I fell better now - thank you

Your prerogative. However in all other countries that have air services to the US, the US Government requires that all passengers be scanned/searched/profiled/pre-cleared according to their dictat or they don't fly. Simple as that.

The newer whole body scanners - being introduced in the UK and already in service in Amsterdam - use a similar technology to MRI rather than X-Rays and the booths have air-sampling as well.

There is also the problem for people who have medical implants. A pacemaker being the most obvious, but there are many others.

Most will set off the alarms at security screening, and the makers also state that users should refuse to go through such machines. (You have a card that identifies you and the type of omplant, but hiw many security staff would be familiar with them?)

So, you have people who are likely to fall foul of the system, due to a medical condition beyond their control.

RogerDuMond

You could always take a boat.

tom_shor

You could always take a boat.

Yesss. I like spam and cold sandwiches. That will be a looooong tow.