Sign in to follow this  
alexccms

Build a BBQ

alexccms

I want to build my own BBQ. The ones they sell here are either way overpriced or extremely poor quality or both.

I was thinking about maybe using a 55 gallon drum, or some big metal cylinder. Anyone got any idea where I might could procure one for not toooo much kwarta?

Edited by alexccms

SkyMan

Junk shops sell them and and it's not too hard to find decent quality ones. I have a couple I'm going to split and weld into a trough to treat bamboo and coco before using on my house. Then I'll rework them into a nice BBQ or 2.

D_D
The ones they sell here are either way overpriced or extremely poor quality or both.

The Weber Grills sold at True Value at Ayala are about the same price they are sold for in the US ( checked on Ebay ) and are of good quality.

alexccms

Just because they are similarly priced doesn't mean they're not overpriced.

I still work, when I need money. The sooner I burn through my funds, the sooner I have to leave my pregnant wife again for a few weeks of busting my hump in the U.S.

If I make a grill out of a 55 gal drum I'll save, what... 20,000P+ over a smaller Weber (not to mention the shiny new Weber would be much more attractive to thieves).

And and and... I get a sense of pride from designing and building my own lil projects.

Guess I better start checking the 'junk shops'

DeezNuz

55-gallon drum is a big ass grill...

easy44

Yeah, you gotta use a shitload of fuel even to cook a small meal.

fanboat

i have one i can sell you

slightly used.....it is my bathtub

DeezNuz

500x_2009-09-12_114924.jpg

Definately can cook a whole goat or two, and feed the whole damn village with one of these.

Edited by BigRob

billten

Drive along the SRP towards Talisay and towards the Pooc exit (i think its that one) you will see a load of plastic and steel drums stacked off the highway. They sell the steel drums for about P800 (or they did last time i checked).

cebubird

That was the one thing I most hated to leave behind in the US when moving here, as I have had one of those for the last 30 years(well used up 3 in that time) and nothing better for slowing cooking your slabs of ribs, whole hams, turkeys, etc. And yes I cooked a goat once also, as well as much venison.

MMMMMMMMM mouth watering good.

And DUHHHH-you dontuse them for cooking a "small meal".

Bill

Ricky

Let me know how you get on, I'm wondering about building one for cooking the lechon baboy on Christmas Eve.

alexccms

Let me know how you get on, I'm wondering about building one for cooking the lechon baboy on Christmas Eve.

Oh, man I'd love to do that. I was thinking goat.

I asked how much for a pig, they said 5,000. I asked how much for a whole cooked lechon, they said 5,000.

Maybe just better for me to buy it by the kilo.

Where you gettin your pig?

Ricky

The cousin of my missus has a pig farm in Balamban, so will see how much we can negotiate. If it comes out too expensive, I won't bother.

We have quite a few family members coming, so would be nice to do a bit of traditional Filipino on Christmas Eve, and British on Christmas Day!

Edited by Ricky

thebob

You diet conscious skinny people may say so!

I made mine about 3 years back. You need to find a welding shop with a gas cutter and cut the thing longitudinally so you have 2 troughs, then weld them back together with heavy duty hinges.

My set up allows for opening it up wide to use both pieces as BBQ's. Takes 2 sacks of oling.

The tricky part is the stand, if you are imaginative you can weld on some holders for tools, and water sprays to damp down the inferno if it get's ahead of you.

The actual grills cost much more than the BBQ pan. I made 2. One for meat (close grill), and one for fish (wider grill so the fish doesn't stick)

My grills are in stainless round bar, so I don't have to worry about the rust.

If you want a luxury version, some cosmetics and chemical companies receive bulk materials in Stainless 55 gallon drums! If anyone tracks down a source for these I'm very interested to build a hard core full stainless BBQ,

Use high temp manifold paint for the outside, and bake it on (from the inside) with the welding torch.

If you are in the Badian area, go to the Aurora bodega. You can get all of the materials there, and their welder is very experienced in making these to order on site.

Edited by thebob