Sign in to follow this  
FirstTimeInCebu

Issue with sending funds from the U.S. to Philippines

FirstTimeInCebu

As of today I have been having problem after problem trying to sending funds to the Philippines using both Western Union and MoneyGram. I tried to use my Debit and Credit Card and the transactions from Western Union would not go through so as a second resort I tried using MoneyGram and the same issue. From Western Union and Money Gram I received a message saying that I had to call customer service. When I did call they said that they were unable to verify my identity and that the transaction could not go through.

smokey

If your using a credit card and you did not TELL your bank before you came here they will assum your being scammed...

shadow

If there is a Walmart near you, go there and buy a Moneygram.

Larry in Dumaguete

FirstTimeInCebu

I did it online and called it in also because I though the website was having problems. Same response from the customer service reps.

TheMatrix

It's a security precaution especially with online transactions which are rife with fraud. Best to send money using cash from a retail center in the U.S. Get a Western membership card so future transactions will be easier.

FirstTimeInCebu

Thanks Steve. Even up until August of this year I had no problem sending funds to the Philippines using Western Union so I just thought it was strange that now it would not go through even after I called into customer service.

Cary

Did you call your bank? I know you said that you spoke with customer service at WU. So I am thinking its your bank that you need to talk to since as you said you have done this before and you never had a problem.

RetiredNavyGuy

Thanks Steve. Even up until August of this year I had no problem sending funds to the Philippines using Western Union so I just thought it was strange that now it would not go through even after I called into customer service.

Just a thought, holidays coming up. ...fraud gets worse. If you show up in person at a sending station, either Western Union, or Moneygram, you should be okay. If you're already here, that's going to be a problem.

FirstTimeInCebu

I'm not in the Philippines. I'm in D.C. I'll just go to the store and send funds that way. Thanks for the info everybody.

:)

tommax

Much cheaper long term solution would be to give your asawa or her family visa electron. You have then transaction history and payments are not so high like Western union.

I'm not in the Philippines. I'm in D.C. I'll just go to the store and send funds that way. Thanks for the info everybody.

:scratch_head:

Hamm

:scratch_head:

There ought to be a Citibank in D.C. Get an account there and then have them send the bankcard to the recipient in the Phils. (no charge for this if they do it) Then whenever you want to send money, just put that much in the account and let your friend/relative retrieve it with that card. I do this all the time for my sis in law and her family. The account is only $3 a month to keep and transaction fees are nominal. Western Union is a major rip off.

kurtis

I experienced a whole bushel of problems with the usual forms of sending money. Even paypal was an issue. I communicated with an official at RCBC in Mindanao and he advised the fastest most secure way he found was XOOM. Web site is XOOM.COM So far no issues, great communication with tracking from instant of hitting send to the instant of deposit in the bank account. All guaranteed. No bank fees. $7.99 a transaction and a small up charge in the exchange rate from dollars to pesos. Some may find this unacceptable, however, it gave me piece of mind.

Terry

Spot on Kurtis. I second the XOOM use suggestion. I know there are those who've had issues with them but I have not. I also have an account with remithome.com as a backup. They're a little more but just as good. I strongly recommend getting a joint bank account with BPI or some other PI bank. Look on line for a remit center in your DC area, they can help.

T

Mandingo

I experienced a whole bushel of problems with the usual forms of sending money. Even paypal was an issue. I communicated with an official at RCBC in Mindanao and he advised the fastest most secure way he found was XOOM. Web site is XOOM.COM So far no issues, great communication with tracking from instant of hitting send to the instant of deposit in the bank account. All guaranteed. No bank fees. $7.99 a transaction and a small up charge in the exchange rate from dollars to pesos. Some may find this unacceptable, however, it gave me piece of mind.

I know a lot of people here do not like Xoom but I use them and so far have never had a problem them.

• Like 1

Reynaldo

I have used Xoom many times without difficulty.

• Like 1