Sign in to follow this  
UZI

Using old HDD as 2nd drive.

David_LivinginTalisay

Well just to give you helpful guys some quick feedback - I am here typing this after a few minutes of BOOTING WITH PUPPY. I am connected using Firefox & everything is working so far.

UZI,

See how easy Puppy Linux was to use!

I only suggested using this Linux Distro, since I checked it out for use on my old Toshiba Satellite 4080XCDT, that has Win98SE, (The Tosh HDD is only 6GB and the RAM is 64MB internal + 256MB so no good attempting Windows XP. Puppy Linux worked just fine on that old Hardware with limited Specs) .I had experience of using Puppy Linux, and found it so easy to use, is the reason I suggested using it. It is perfect for installing on a Flash Drive and using that as a RESCUE Tool, even if you don't use it every day

Puppy Linux is essentially created from versions of Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware, T2 SDE, or Arch repositories.

puppylogo96.png

About Puppy

Puppy's goals

• Easily install to USB, Zip or hard drive media.
  • Booting from CD (or DVD), the CD drive is then free for other purposes.
  • Booting from CD (or DVD), save everything back to the CD.
  • Booting from USB Flash drive, minimise writes to extend life indefinitely.
  • Extremely friendly for Linux newbies.
  • Boot up and run extraordinarily fast.
  • Have all the applications needed for daily use.
  • Will just work, no hassles.
  • Will breathe new life into old PCs
  • Load and run totally in RAM for diskless thin stations

These are extraordinary goals, yet Puppy comes close to achieving them all. The fundamental reason is that Puppy has been built from scratch, file-by-file, and is not based on any other Linux distribution. One of the most amazing features of Puppy is the range of powerful applications yet such tiny size ...and the speed.

Puppy really is small, the live-CD typically being 85MB, yet there really is a complete set of GUI applications. Being so small, Puppy usually loads completely into RAM, which accounts for the incredible speed.

Puppy Linux From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

250px-Banner_logo_Puppy.png www.puppylinux.com

Puppy Linux is a lightweight Linux distribution that focuses on ease of use.[2] The entire system can be run from RAM, allowing the boot medium to be removed after the operating system has started. Applications such AbiWord a free word processing application, Gnumeric spreadsheet and Gxine a free multimedia player are included, along with a wide choice of web browsers that can be installed. The distribution is developed by Barry Kauler and other members of the community. The tool Woof can build a Puppy Linux distribution from the binary packages of other Linux distributions.[3]Packages of the IceWM desktop, Fluxbox and Enlightenment are also available via Puppy's PetGet package (application) management system (see below). Some derivative distributions, called puplets, come with default window managers other than JWM.[12]

When the operating system boots, everything in the Puppy package uncompresses into a RAM area, the "ramdisk". The PC needs to have at least 128 MB of RAM (with no more than 8 MB shared video) for all of Puppy to load into the ramdisk. However, it is possible for it to run on a PC with only about 48 MB of RAM because part of the system can be kept on the hard drive, or less effectively, left on the CD.

Puppy is fairly full-featured for a system that runs entirely in a ramdisk, when booted as Live system or from a 'frugal' installation; however, Puppy also supports the 'full' installation mode, which allows Puppy to run from a hard drive partition, without a ramdisk. Applications were chosen that met various constraints, size in particular. Because one of the aims of the distribution is to be extremely easy to set up, there are many wizards that take the user through the process of a range of common tasks.[13][citation needed]

220px-Puppylinux-215ce2.jpg

magnify-clip.pngDesktop with one of multiple integrated themes with XMMS a multimedia player, mtPaint a painting program for creating pixel art and manipulating digital photos and gxine running plus an opened text file under Puppy Linux 2.15 CE Viz (with default WM: IceWM)

[edit]Package and distribution management

220px-WNOP02_EeePC_1.jpg
magnify-clip.pngwNOP v0.2 on EeePC: Puppy 3.01 & Compiz-Fusion

Puppy Unleashed (currently replaced by Woof) is a tool used to create Puppy ISO images. It consists of more than 500 packages that are put together according to the user's needs.[citation needed]

Woof is an advanced tool for creating Puppy installations. It requires an Internet connection and some knowledge of Linux to use. It is able to download the binary source packages from another Linux distribution and process them into Puppy Linux packages by just defining the name of that Linux distro.[14] It is equipped with a simpler version control named Bones.[15]

Puppy also comes with a remastering tool that takes a "snapshot" of the current system and lets the user create a live CD from it, and an additional remastering tool that is able to remove installed components.[citation needed]

Puppy Linux uses the T2 SDE build scripts to build the base binary packages.[citation needed]

[edit]Variants

Because of the relative ease with which the tool Woof and the remaster tool can be used to build variants of Puppy Linux, there are many variants available.[3][16] Variants of Puppy Linux are known as puplets.

Release history

VersionRelease DatePuppy 129 March 2005Puppy 21 June 2006Puppy 32 October 2007Puppy 45 May 2008Puppy 515 May 2010Puppy 1 series will run comfortably on very dated hardware, such as a Pentium computer with at least 32 MB RAM. For newer systems, the USB keydrive version might be better (although if USB device booting is not directly supported in the BIOS, the Puppy floppy boot disk can be used to kick-start it). It is possible to run Puppy Linux with Windows 9x/Windows Me. It is also possible, if the BIOS does not support booting from USB drive, to boot from the CD and keep user state on a USB keydrive; this will be saved on shutdown and read from the USB device on bootup.[17]

Puppy 2 uses the Mozilla-based SeaMonkey as its Internet suite (primarily a web browser and e-mail client).

Puppy 3 features Slackware 12 compatibility.[18] This is accomplished by the inclusion of almost all the dependencies needed for the installation of Slackware packages. However, Puppy Linux is not a Slackware-based distribution.[19]

Puppy 4 is built from scratch using the T2 SDE [20] and no longer features native Slackware 12 compatibility[21] in order to reduce the size and include newer package versions than that found in 3. To compensate for this, an optional "compatibility collection" of packages was created that restores some of the lost compatibility.[21]

• Puppy 4.2 features changes to the user interface and backend, upgraded packages, language and character support, new in-house software and optimizations, while still keeping the ISO imagesize under 100 MB.[citation needed]

Puppy 5 is based on a project called Woof[22] which is designed to assemble a Puppy Linux distribution from the packages of other Linux distributions. Woof includes some binaries and software derived from Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware, T2 SDE, or Arch repositories. Puppy 5 came with a stripped down version of the Midori browser to be used for reading help files and a choice of web browsers to be installed, including Chromium, Firefox, Iron and Opera.[23]

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

Jess Bartone

.....I am here typing this after a few minutes of BOOTING WITH PUPPY. I am connected using Firefox & everything is working so far. Now need to see how the rest of this works & whether I can find the files I need.....

So don't forget to tell us if you accessed the files or not, I'm on the edge of my seat here... I have been thinking (for a long time) of upgrading my motherboard/processor and adding a bigger hard disc, but keeping my old hard disc tied in to it somewhere.

Mailman

So don't forget to tell us if you accessed the files or not, I'm on the edge of my seat here... I have been thinking (for a long time) of upgrading my motherboard/processor and adding a bigger hard disc, but keeping my old hard disc tied in to it somewhere.

Do it.

Just keep the OS on the old drive and use the new drives solely for storage. No problems. :thats-funny:

thebob

.....I am here typing this after a few minutes of BOOTING WITH PUPPY. I am connected using Firefox & everything is working so far. Now need to see how the rest of this works & whether I can find the files I need.....

Yes what is the procedure for backing up Outlook data for a fresh install?

Mailman

I havne't used Outlook for a few years, but I imagine any of the newer versions work the same way. Within the File Menu, there should be an option to export data or something to that effect. You can export this information (address, mail, etc) to another drive, burn it to CD, or whatever.

Once you reinstall Outlook (on a new drive), then you repeat the process except you import the data from the source you had placed it.

I am sure you could google 'howto export outlook2000' or whatever version you are dealing with for more detailed instructions.

UZI

Well guys, here is where I am at the moment:

!. My HDD that came with the pc (SATA) drive C/D (partition) is running as always as master with XP as the os

2. My old pc drive (IDE) is working perfectly ok as a slave / additional drive with drive letters E/F (partitioned)

3. Thanks to David & Tim etc, I used Puppy Linux to boot from CD (extremely easy & straight forward following Davids post instructions) to access my old HDD windows files & my Outlook Express Inbox, Sent folders (*.dbx).

4, Using the save to flash drive function using Puppy was a little confusing but I worked it out ok.

5. The files BTW are in local settings/Identities

6. I copied the .dbx files into my new drives OE folder BUT at the moment it is only recognising my 'sent' folder contents not my 'inbox' but this Link explains what I did wrong & hopefully what I need to do to get my inbox files running too. I will try it tomorrow.

Still stuff to sort & learn but hey, i'm retired & this old dog still can learn things. Hope this is useful to others. BTW I would have Puppy Linux anyway as a just in case Windows wont boot (not that it would happen :thats-funny:) & you can easily get into your files again.

Playfull

Both drives need to be set up , one slave , one master , or experiment with the pin settings .. in your bios set up you can set boot drive order if you haven't already done so .. and now that I have read the date on this thread you probably already have it up and running ..

Cipro

I don't use Outlook but I think you back everything up into a PST periodically and later you can import it. Seems like as I recall you just make sure your PST is current, save it "someplace safe", and go for it.

UZI

Both drives need to be set up , one slave , one master , or experiment with the pin settings .. in your bios set up you can set boot drive order if you haven't already done so .. and now that I have read the date on this thread you probably already have it up and running ..

Yes I have & exactly as you point out. Cheers