Sign in to follow this  
UZI

Using old HDD as 2nd drive.

UZI

Let me see if I can explain this from an dummies point of view so it can be understood by those who may know the solution.

I have a new PC that has a HDD which is IDE. I have the HDD from my old PC which is on SATA (ATA?). When I connect my old HDD it boots up 1st, as drive C/D with the IDE drive as E/F. I have the jumpers in my SATA HDD set to slave.

Now that would be perfect as my Windows XP on the old drive is original (disc) and I have all my emails saved to Outlook Express on it. The problem is that I cant use the drive as XP asks to reverify but I haven't got my internet connection set up on that drive so it goes to dial up & I can't find how to access my Globe which of course is now on E drive. Hope this is making sense. :bashtroll:

As it stands, the old drive is unplugged & I am back with my IDE drive as C/D

Anyone (Tim?) able to talk me through this

David_LivinginTalisay

UZI,

Obviously you need an OS to boot up from, and this needs to be on a Hard Disk (or possibly a Flash Drive or a CD or DVD). Not all BIOS can be set to boot off Flash Drives, and CD/DVD drives).

Have you tried looking at your BIOS Boot Settings, so whatever Hard Disk you want, is the first 'normal' HDD to Boot from (as usually one has CD/DVD and or Floppy or Flash as 1st choice, so one can 'rescue' a crashed system)?

I have a similar situation, but my new PC has SATA as well as IDE and I loaded an OS onto the SATA drive (as bigger capacity than my old IDE drives).

I now have a choice of Windows XP, Windows 7, and Puppy Linux (as well as Tiny XP ver 10, which is a 'compact' version of Windows XP with lot of 'MS' stuff removed)

I use Acronis OS Selector to enable Multiple Boot.

Acronis OS Selector is good, as it knows what drive has what OS, even if the Drive letters change due to altering the Boot order,

(or if you remove a HDD, and substitiute another, like I did with a removable drive, but the boot time is considerably extended, so best avoid this if at all possible, or reinstall Acronis OS Selector and start over).

Hope this might help?

USMC-Retired

Dave makes perfect sense in what he says.

If the IDE hard drive has no operating system the SATA will be next in the selector via the BIOS to boot. No matter what you do as the BIOS will search for an operating system.

If the IDE HD has a operating system and it still goes to that drive ensure you have the BIOS priority set. F2 or ctrl alt escp, normally as you start will take you to the BIOS when you start and change the boot priority. As SATA is always first over IDE.

I did not hear where you changed the BIOS settings. Start there. Lets get you running then Dave's excellent idea of dual boot is great.

UZI

If the IDE hard drive has no operating system the SATA will be next in the selector via the BIOS to boot. No matter what you do as the BIOS will search for an operating system.

If the IDE HD has a operating system and it still goes to that drive ensure you have the BIOS priority set. F2 or ctrl alt escp, normally as you start will take you to the BIOS when you start and change the boot priority. As SATA is always first over IDE.

I did not hear where you changed the BIOS settings. Start there. Lets get you running then Dave's excellent idea of dual boot is great.

Ok 1st of all thanks for the replies guys.

Now then, I think you both missed the point of my OP:

1. I did say

"As it stands, the old drive is unplugged & I am back with my IDE drive as C/D"

so I do have an O/S on it. It is XP & my system is fully up & running.

2. My old HDD also has XP but I cant get into the drive without reverifying it.

3. I dont want to change the boot order. I want it to boot my SATA then the IDE.

My problem remains, at this point, as stated in para 3 in my OP. Hope that made things a bit clearer.

NOTE - EDIT: Got the drive descriptions the wrong way round (old age :biggrin_01: ) my old drive is IDE but boots 1st not the new & already installed & running SATA.

Edited by UZI

The Mason

I'm assuming that by 'verify XP' you mean activate XP. If so, this KB from the MS site describes how to do it when you don't have an Internet connection.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

USMC-Retired

when you connect it to the system it should verify it as a drive.... Hence it makes it C.

If you want to plug it in you must go to the bios and then change the boot order. Otherwise it will try to boot from the old drive. Since it is Sata. Sata is first in boot priority. No matter what the jumpers say. You are not slaving a IDE to IDE. You are trying to slave a Sata to IDE that will not work. They operate seperatly. Thus your only option is change boot priority in the BIOS. Then it will change the order. IDE First and Sata second. Thus IDE will be C: and Sata D:. With IDE running the operating system.

From what I read the Sata is always trying to boot first and you want the IDE to boot. Since the Sata you can not verify windows on. If that is true then what I said must happen.

Edited by Norseman

UZI

I'm assuming that by 'verify XP' you mean activate XP. If so, this KB from the MS site describes how to do it when you don't have an Internet connection.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Nope. Dont need to activate it. Been using it for 4 years. The fact that it is in a new pc it has detected things have changed & on boot up it stops at the windows log in screen & asks me to re VERIFY but I cant get to my desktop and it doesn't let me use my Globe broadband as that is on the other HDD desktop.

Ow my head hurts

David_LivinginTalisay

Ok 1st of all thanks for the replies guys.

Now then, I think you both missed the point of my OP:

1. I did say

"As it stands, the old drive is unplugged & I am back with my IDE drive as C/D"

so I do have an O/S on it. It is XP & my system is fully up & running.

2. My old HDD also has XP but I cant get into the drive without reverifying it.

3. I dont want to change the boot order. I want it to boot my SATA then the IDE.

My problem remains, at this point, as stated in para 3 in my OP. Hope that made things a bit clearer.

NOTE - EDIT: Got the drive descriptions the wrong way round (old age :biggrin_01: ) my old drive is IDE but boots 1st not the new & already installed & running SATA.

OK that now makes more sense, that your old HDD is IDE and your New PC has SATA (same as mine).

Best to not have old Disk Drives connected when installing new Windows OS as it does indeed detect the other Windows OS and 'interferes with the Boot.ini Files.

So if I have now understood this correctly, it is the Windows XP on your old IDE HDD that is now not booting, is that so you are running off the new SATA drive that also has Windows XP on it, is that correct?

Rename such Boot .ini to Boot.temp or something on the HDD that is not booting up, and try again (you can then change it back if required)?

This is what I did, when I forgot to unplug my old IDE HDD, and getting rid of Boot.ini stopped the Multiple Boot that Windows tried setting up.

Since you are posting to this Forum, you presumably are able to access the Internet and could try downloading a trial copy of Acronis OS Selector

Comes as part of Acronis® Disk Director® 11 Home

Download Free Demo

This replaces the Boot.ini with a GUI interface that has detected and listed all the OS found on all your Disk Drives.

You can manually 'rename' the OS and change the 'Icon'/colour for each OS.

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

UZI

when you connect it to the system it should verify it as a drive.... Hence it makes it C.

If you want to plug it in you must go to the bios and then change the boot order. Otherwise it will try to boot from the old drive. Since it is Sata. Sata is first in boot priority. No matter what the jumpers say. You are not slaving a IDE to IDE. You are trying to slave a Sata to IDE that will not work. They operate seperatly. Thus your only option is change boot priority in the BIOS. Then it will change the order. IDE First and Sata second. Thus IDE will be C: and Sata D:. With IDE running the operating system.

From what I read the Sata is always trying to boot first and you want the IDE to boot. Since the Sata you can not verify windows on. If that is true then what I said must happen.

Tim,

Hmm...I had my doubts as to whether communications between someone with basic hardware knowledge & those who understand it could work on a forum like this. It seems that what I am saying is not being followed or I am not getting the answers & you didn't appear to read my EDIT NOTE correcting the drive descriptions. :)

First of all, while waiting for this reply, I opened up the case & reconnected my IDE HDD. Then restarted my pc. It immediately started booting as my old system start screen. I went into the BIOS & it showed this:

Primary IDE master - not detected

Primary IDE slave - ST3802******

SATA1 - ST3259*****

I went to 'Boot' which had 1st drive as IDE & SATA as Drive 2, so what you said "Sata is first in boot priority. No matter what the jumpers say." didn't hold true for some reason. & changed Drive 1 to Drive 2, saved & Exited. The system booted up correctly now with the SATA 1st as Drive C & D with my old Drive as E & F.

So everything is there & I can see all drives. Problem is still with the IDE drive having my old XP on it but I cannot access the info, such as my address book on Outlook Express & all my emails, which is the main thing I want. If I boot up the IDE drive I get the Welcome screen & a pop up saying something like 'Windows has detected a significant change & needs to verify your license - or along those lines. The problem is I dont know how to use my Globe which is on the SATA to reactivate the XP on the IDE. Dont need dual boot (think I would have the same issue anyway) & dont really want to phone them unless I have no choice.

Mailman

So everything is there & I can see all drives. Problem is still with the IDE drive having my old XP on it but I cannot access the info, such as my address book on Outlook Express & all my emails, which is the main thing I want.

You should be able to go into Outlook (installed on the new drive) and import your old data from the directory on the old drive.

UZI

So everything is there & I can see all drives. Problem is still with the IDE drive having my old XP on it but I cannot access the info, such as my address book on Outlook Express & all my emails, which is the main thing I want.

You should be able to go into Outlook (installed on the new drive) and import your old data from the directory on the old drive.

Ah if only it was so simple. I cannot 'see' any of my Windows files on drive E (my IDE) so I cannot import my address book or my inbox etc as I cannot 'see' them just as I can't do as David suggests as I cant 'see' any boot.ini on drive E

USMC-Retired

There is no way that you can stop that activation. The address for the windows is diffrent.

However try and boot in safe mode. F8 key will take you to safe without networking. This will allow you into the computer or it should. If not boot F8 to command prompt and you can then go through DOS mode to get the information.

Mailman

Ah if only it was so simple. I cannot 'see' any of my Windows files on drive E (my IDE) so I cannot import my address book or my inbox etc as I cannot 'see' them just as I can't do as David suggests as I cant 'see' any boot.ini on drive E

I'm not sure I understand. You can see all the drives but you can't see any of the directories on them?

UZI

I'm not sure I understand. You can see all the drives but you can't see any of the directories on them?

Because I am locked out of all Windows directories & folders on that drive. I can see other folders.

Norseman - I will try what you suggest tomorrow & let you know if I have any luck.

Thanks to all who replied. :)

USMC-Retired

The last thing I recommend is a LiveCD boot. http://www.livecdlist.com/

What that will do is run Linux from a CD. Thus allowing you to get what you need.

On that site gives you links to download and then burn to CD and then change boot order to boot CD first. Just a thought.

I have a bootable USB I keep just incase. I get the dreaded BSOD. (Blue Screen of Death)

Edited by Norseman