Sign in to follow this  
USMC-Retired

Alaska Milk Drink

USMC-Retired

I am a big Cereal fan in the mornings. Love Milk in my coffee and sometimes just a big glass before bed.

With the UHT process it ruined the flavor of the Milk. Plus it being between 65-75 a liter it was putting a damper on my budget. 1600 Pesos a month for milk. Just yuck. Plus I did not really dig the taste.

So on the convincing of my wife. I tried this Alaska Milk Powder Drink. I have to say it taste good. Better then the powder milk I remember as a kid. Yes people it has sugar in it hence the word dink. But on sweet cereal who cares. Actually I do not find it sweet at all. Plus I find the taste better then UHT milk. They have little pouches for 20 pesos. I did that then I bought a huge box for 180 pesos. That box makes 9 liters of milk. 1 1/4 cup to two liters of water. Go figure they have no directions to make a liter. Milk is something I really miss about being here 1.99 for a Gallon in Texas.

apfm-range.jpg

Edited by Norseman

The Mason

I use Alaska to make my own 3-in-1 coffee mix, but have never tried it on its own. I have the same bad memories of powdered milk from childhood that you do. I've just learned to live without milk for the most part.

2 parts Alaska

1 part sugar

0.8 part nescafe

musicman666

Alaska assurance

Amid the scare, Alaska Milk Corp. said it had not imported from China skimmed milk powder as an ingredient in any of its products.

Alaska Milk locally manufactures and distributes liquid, powdered and ready-to-drink milk products under brand names Alaska, Carnation, Alpine, Milkmaid and Liberty.

caloy

might try it...:)

mpt1947

I use Alaska to make my own 3-in-1 coffee mix, but have never tried it on its own. I have the same bad memories of powdered milk from childhood that you do. I've just learned to live without milk for the most part.

2 parts Alaska

1 part sugar

0.8 part nescafe

Not much coffee - biggrin_01.gif

The Mason

2 parts Alaska

1 part sugar

0.8 part nescafe

Not much coffee - biggrin_01.gif

Don't get me started. Nescafe tastes like crap and is not real coffee. I call it coffee because that's what it says on the label. Its only drinkable when taken with large doses of milk and sugar.

I used to roast my own coffee in the US, but I gave up the hobby when I moved here. Its hard to find a good coffee roaster that works with the different electricity here. When I have seen them, they've been prohibitively expensive.

Giving up my coffee snobbery was one of the hardest adjustments I had to make when moving here.

Mailman

Don't get me started. Nescafe tastes like crap and is not real coffee. I call it coffee because that's what it says on the label. Its only drinkable when taken with large doses of milk and sugar.

I used to roast my own coffee in the US, but I gave up the hobby when I moved here. Its hard to find a good coffee roaster that works with the different electricity here. When I have seen them, they've been prohibitively expensive.

Giving up my coffee snobbery was one of the hardest adjustments I had to make when moving here.

I prefer real coffee too... but Nescafe is all I can manage here. I will mix one sachet of 3-in-1 with one sachet of some flavored jobs (hazelnut, chocofudge, or banoffee) together in 1 cup. It is tolerable that way.

KennyF

Makes good yogurt too.

KinP

DeezNuz

I'm lactose intolerant...I cut some mean smelling farts when I take in real milk.

Anyone want to come over to my place for a bowl of cereal?

UZI

Folgers coffee in Robinsons Talisay @ P200 ish for 300g

Guest Otokan

I make rice milk at home because I have an allergy to cow milk, and goat milk isn't good in cereal.

So, my household mostly cooks with and eats short grain rice. We have to wash it in a bowl of water before cooking it unless I'm making risotto... The rice needs to be washed in 4 or 5 changes of water, and the first 2 are reserved for this. I put them in a pot and bring it to a boil to kill any bacteria, and then add a few spoons of sugar and a 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla. After it cools you can store it in a water jug in the fridge. It might settle in the fridge, so shake it good before using it. It's good in baking and on cerial, or with a little cinnamon for a good drink in the summer, which unlike real milk, will actually quench your thirst.

Mailman

I make rice milk at home because I have an allergy to cow milk, and goat milk isn't good in cereal.

So, my household mostly cooks with and eats short grain rice. We have to wash it in a bowl of water before cooking it unless I'm making risotto... The rice needs to be washed in 4 or 5 changes of water, and the first 2 are reserved for this. I put them in a pot and bring it to a boil to kill any bacteria, and then add a few spoons of sugar and a 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla. After it cools you can store it in a water jug in the fridge. It might settle in the fridge, so shake it good before using it. It's good in baking and on cerial, or with a little cinnamon for a good drink in the summer, which unlike real milk, will actually quench your thirst.

Always enjoyed the rice horchatas while in Arizona.

Thanks for that.

cdpino

Is there any European/US style milk/cream available anywhere there? Does the RP have a dairy industry? A cattle industry?

KennyF

You have to read the label.

I make yogurt and one day I saw FRESH 100% MILK in a one liter glass bottle in SM Cebu.

Great, fresh milk at last.

Read the label.

100% RECONSTITUTED New Zealand milk.

KinP

Mailman

Yeah, but it was RECENTLY reconstituted! :closedeyes: