suprise surprise

it helps that i told them that I was coming here.

do you seriously think I haven't done that? Do you seriously think I haven't done that on each of the numerous times I've visited the Philippines before, over the past decade? (admittedly, the first few times, I had no need of an ATM, as they were all relarively brief visits and because of where in the country I was going, I coulf manage on a mixture of cash and travellers checks).

but then I started going to the Philippines for longer periods than just a few weeks. At that point, I realised I was going to need ATM card(s).

why the f**k should I have to ring up my card issuer on the other side of the world - at my own expense, mind - to tell them to sort it out? It's not the first time I've had to do it. I know for a fact that they'll tell me it isn't anything to do with their side, and everything to do with the utterly appalling financial infrastructure prevailing in the Philippines, which as somebody else has mentioned, is roughly on a par with the likes of Nigeria and North Korea. Even Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam - these are all Communist dictatorships - provide better services when it comes to foreign exchange for the tourists.

what the hell is the matter with them? How did they manage to allow the 12th largest nation state in the world to slide so badly?

I've lived and travelled there many times using ATMs and have only once had a minor problem with my card.

What a whiny bitchy SOB you are! I just don't get why you keep going back to the Philippines! Go home, please!! It'll save you money if you don't walk out your door.

Andrew

Well said Andrew. Just trying to figure out is he this :oldtimer: or as I suspect he is really just this :troll:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Jess Bartone

• UZI

• TheDuke

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use ATMs at least twice a week. Never had a problem at all. It is encouraging that these strange things keep happening to you udonthani. Perhaps if they persist you won't be coming back to the Ph

I've lived and travelled there many times using ATMs and have only once had a minor problem with my card.   What a whiny bitchy SOB you are! I just don't get why you keep going back to the Philippi

That's called "Love." He is happy to have a young babe telling him how "Guapo" he is and she is happy to have a "Sugar Daddy." American women do it all the time. It's the way the world turns. Let t

Posted Images

A_Simple_Man

Thanks for all your posts, Mr Whippy Udonthani. I enjoy reading them even when I don't agree. They remind me of an old movie, "The World According to Whippy" where one of the familiar quotes is "In the world according to Garp, we are all terminal cases."

udonthani

would anybody care to explain why, every other country in the world - except this one - when you go to a bank, any bank, anywhere in the country, they are more than eager to accept travellers checks, and sometimes even go so far as to charge very moderate rates of commission that makes them better value than using ATM's?

what the feck is supposed to be so special about the Philippines that they totally ignore what everyone else does?

would anybody care to explain why, every other country in the world - except this one - when you go to a bank, any bank, anywhere in the country, they are more than eager to accept travellers checks, and sometimes even go so far as to charge very moderate rates of commission that makes them better value than using ATM's?

what the feck is supposed to be so special about the Philippines that they totally ignore what everyone else does?

This is where I would love to call you a self-righteous, egotistical asshole. But, I can't, or I would be breaking my own rules.

Whippy, YOU are the one who keeps getting on a plane and flying back here.

Try THAILAND, or maybe CAMBODIA. Maybe they will appreciate your ATM card better.

• Like 1
Jess Bartone

Now now whippy settle down, this is a family forum you know.

If you don't yet know or understand what is so special about the Philippines, so special we don't get too upset about the faults - "unconditional love" I believe it is called - then nobody her is capable of ever telling you. If you give me the address of your hotel, I will have some handkerchiefs and valium sent up to your room.

udonthani

This is where I would love to call you a self-righteous, egotistical asshole. But, I can't, or I would be breaking my own rules.

Try THAILAND, or maybe CAMBODIA. Maybe they will appreciate your ATM card better.

why don't you try answering the question, instead of just calling people names. In Thailand and Cambodia, not to mention all the other ASEAN countries I've ever visited, I wouldn't even need an ATM card at all and wouldn't bother to bring one.

• Like 1

why don't you try answering the question, instead of just calling people names. In Thailand and Cambodia, not to mention all the other ASEAN countries I've ever visited, I wouldn't even need an ATM card at all and wouldn't bother to bring one.

First, I didn't call you names, well, not in that post anyway. I said I would LOVE to call you...

And, if you go back through this thread, you will see that I have already answered your question. Of coruse, it appears as though you have answered it yourself.

• Like 1
KeithAngel

The answer is if they did that then you would have a face to face encounter over the poor exchange rate and high costs of exchange, with the A.T.M.s you can only kick the machine :oldtimer:

Jess Bartone

why don't you try answering the question..... In Thailand and Cambodia.....

Who cares about Thailand and Cambodia... why don't you start a thread in "Philippines... not for you?"

instead of just calling people names

potkettle.gif Just in case you missed the inference, the pot, on the left, is calling the kettle, on the right, black.

udonthani

The answer is if they did that then you would have a face to face encounter over the poor exchange rate and high costs of exchange, with the A.T.M.s you can only kick the machine :oldtimer:

Paul hasn't explained why hardly any outlets in the Philippines accept travellers checks, when every other country in Asia thinks they're an integral component of the FOREX set up for the tourists. He can't. There is no answer.

as for poor exchange rates in the PH, that is true in those few places that do accept TC's, which basically amounts to being NAIA, a few places in Ermita and Makati, Boracay, and Alona beach. Terrible rates, high rates of commission and some of them even ask for the receipts you bought them with. LOL. Some of them, but not all of them.

it's just not joined-up. There's no strategy, no command. This place is just a mess, with a hundred million people living in it.

KeithAngel

I think its a valid question given the plethora of "Western Union " outlets why travellers checks are not easy to change especialy as ATM,s are thin on the ground outside the city,s it means if you go a wandering you have no choice but to carry what here represents a tempting amount of cash

thebob

Have you tried changing TC's in Japan? That will really get you angry.

med_gallery_4563_553_49994.jpg

Hey, there's snow where I come from.

When you get right down to it, most countries have snow.

Don't tell me it's too hot here. Chile is just as bloody hot and they can manage snow, with penguins even.

Fecking Maroco has snow.

RP should get off it's arse.

Just my 2 cents worth.

KinP

I agree with some of the things you have posted. However, bitching about it is not going to change anything except provide ammo for those on this forum to ridicule you. My wife even agrees that it's an ass backwards country and that they are just hurting themselves by not adapting. It's sad to watch a country with such potential be held back by corruption and fall further behind other countries such as Vietnam, Thailand, etc. You just have to accept it for what it is or go somewhere else.

• Like 2

You seem to be the only one who is complaining.

What you mean to say is:

"what the feck is supposed to be so special about the Philippines that they totally ignore me?"