suprise surprise

i just let my filipina hold a bundle of cash for me/when we need more she goes to the bank for me/relax a little dude

• Like 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Jess Bartone

• UZI

• TheDuke

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use ATMs at least twice a week. Never had a problem at all. It is encouraging that these strange things keep happening to you udonthani. Perhaps if they persist you won't be coming back to the Ph

I've lived and travelled there many times using ATMs and have only once had a minor problem with my card.   What a whiny bitchy SOB you are! I just don't get why you keep going back to the Philippi

That's called "Love." He is happy to have a young babe telling him how "Guapo" he is and she is happy to have a "Sugar Daddy." American women do it all the time. It's the way the world turns. Let t

Posted Images

maybe I should just relax a li'l bit more...

I have nothing against using an ATM card. I do it everywhere I go in the USA. But you have got to have "Balls of Steel" to go the a country like the Philippines without much cash on you and hope that your ATM card will work right the first time. If it doesn't then you are in a world of hurt. I understand relying on an ATM card after you have been there for a while and tested the system but for someone to go half way around the world without a safety net and without knowing if your ATM card will work is just crazy to me.

Edited by TheDuke
  • Like 1

I have been using ATMs here for going on two decades. I have never lost a card to an ATM machine.

Perhaps they are good judges of character, whippy?

EDIT:

I actually have to commend you, for not having a fking stroke when that happened to you.

Now, go to your financial institution to get the monies reinstated to your account.

Here is the bad news, whippy. It could take some time to do, at no interest earned for you.

Edited by Admin

I think in all the times I came to visit the RP I only had to contact my home bank in the States once. Since I moved here I have had no issues. it helps that i told them that I was coming here.

The first time I went to the PH I took Amex. After a full day of traveling the city I cashed them in. I was really beginning to worry about being stuck there with no money. I've used my debit card a few times since then with no problems.

Ben is my friend! Don't travel without him now.

udonthani

it helps that i told them that I was coming here.

do you seriously think I haven't done that? Do you seriously think I haven't done that on each of the numerous times I've visited the Philippines before, over the past decade? (admittedly, the first few times, I had no need of an ATM, as they were all relarively brief visits and because of where in the country I was going, I coulf manage on a mixture of cash and travellers checks).

but then I started going to the Philippines for longer periods than just a few weeks. At that point, I realised I was going to need ATM card(s).

why the f**k should I have to ring up my card issuer on the other side of the world - at my own expense, mind - to tell them to sort it out? It's not the first time I've had to do it. I know for a fact that they'll tell me it isn't anything to do with their side, and everything to do with the utterly appalling financial infrastructure prevailing in the Philippines, which as somebody else has mentioned, is roughly on a par with the likes of Nigeria and North Korea. Even Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam - these are all Communist dictatorships - provide better services when it comes to foreign exchange for the tourists.

what the hell is the matter with them? How did they manage to allow the 12th largest nation state in the world to slide so badly?

I have nothing against using an ATM card. I do it everywhere I go in the USA. But you have got to have "Balls of Steel" to go the a country like the Philippines without much cash on you and hope that your ATM card will work right the first time. If it doesn't then you are in a world of hurt. I understand relying on an ATM card after you have been there for a while and tested the system but for someone to go half way around the world without a safety net and without knowing if your ATM card will work is just crazy to me.

Even when we are on holiday in Europe I still take cash. The more so when you have young children in tow. You just never know what would happen. Not that it would stop me using the ATM. But I only used it really for top ups. More often than not I used the credit card where it is accepted otherwise I use cash. I certainly don't want to waste time going to ATMs for cash when im on holiday never mine paying the bank charges.

I usually take 2x ATM cards and a credit card. Nor will I change all my cash at once. I usually have it changed in 3/4 tranches to allow the increase fx rates (hopefully) rather than changing all of them in one go. Then I would have the rest of the cash, ATMs and passports in safekeeping. However, I would send a small amount of money ahead to my family good enough for 1-2 days expenses until I can change some monies when I arrive.

I suppose being a native born helps. I don't have to keep running to fx kiosk, as usually I have people approaching my family if they can change my money for me at the same rate that I usually get. These are mostly from friends and acquaintances that have relations wanting to go abroad for one reason or another. They are willing to go to our place to change monies so it is pretty safe and relaxing for me and less of a hassle.

• Like 1

it helps that i told them that I was coming here.

do you seriously think I haven't done that? Do you seriously think I haven't done that on each of the numerous times I've visited the Philippines before, over the past decade? (admittedly, the first few times, I had no need of an ATM, as they were all relarively brief visits and because of where in the country I was going, I coulf manage on a mixture of cash and travellers checks).

but then I started going to the Philippines for longer periods than just a few weeks. At that point, I realised I was going to need ATM card(s).

why the f**k should I have to ring up my card issuer on the other side of the world - at my own expense, mind - to tell them to sort it out? It's not the first time I've had to do it. I know for a fact that they'll tell me it isn't anything to do with their side, and everything to do with the utterly appalling financial infrastructure prevailing in the Philippines, which as somebody else has mentioned, is roughly on a par with the likes of Nigeria and North Korea. Even Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam - these are all Communist dictatorships - provide better services when it comes to foreign exchange for the tourists.

what the hell is the matter with them? How did they manage to allow the 12th largest nation state in the world to slide so badly?

I've lived and travelled there many times using ATMs and have only once had a minor problem with my card.

What a whiny bitchy SOB you are! I just don't get why you keep going back to the Philippines! Go home, please!! It'll save you money if you don't walk out your door.

Andrew

• Like 3

I've lived and travelled there many times using ATMs and have only once had a minor problem with my card.

What a whiny bitchy SOB you are! I just don't get why you keep going back to the Philippines! Go home, please!! It'll save you money if you don't walk out your door.

Andrew

HERE!! HERE!!, Best advice offered so far. :shit_stirrer:

• Like 2

I've only been to PH 7-8 times but I've never had any trouble. Worst that happened to me was that the ATMs were persistently empty for 2.5 days in Boracay once.

Jess Bartone
people that have said they really liked the Philippines but would think twice about ever coming back

We can only live in hope.

I know for a fact that they'll tell me it isn't anything to do with their side, and everything to do with the utterly appalling financial infrastructure prevailing in the Philippines

You know nothing.

Happened to me, I sent a secure message online, the bank took care of everything, and the money was back in my account in about 2 or 3 days. If you weren't such a nasty little crybaby, I might actually consider the validity of anything you say. If you love the rest of Asia so much, just go there and stay the hell out of the Philippines, and for pity's sake stay off this forum with your nasty little personal attacks and constant whingeing about what everyone already knows.

Jeepney

I use atm banking for the past 30 years,

the only problem I ever had was in he UK!!!!!!!!

It swallowed my card, and had to get it from the bank inside!

Be prepared always where ever in the world you go,

I always carry enough cash to survive few days,

2 atm cards and cc.

If I intend to stay a longer time in a country, like now,

I set up a local account with direct access, and atm card.

Piet.

people that have said they really liked the Philippines but would think twice about ever coming back

We can only live in hope.

I know for a fact that they'll tell me it isn't anything to do with their side, and everything to do with the utterly appalling financial infrastructure prevailing in the Philippines

You know nothing.

Happened to me, I sent a secure message online, the bank took care of everything, and the money was back in my account in about 2 or 3 days. If you weren't such a nasty little crybaby, I might actually consider the validity of anything you say. If you love the rest of Asia so much, just go there and stay the hell out of the Philippines, and for pity's sake stay off this forum with your nasty little personal attacks and constant whingeing about what everyone already knows.

LOL! Well said. I guess Undonthani can't get any bilat anywhere else in Asia so he keeps coming back to the Philippines. Only the Filipinas will take pity on him and give him a little.

What would you do if you lost or had stolen, all your cash? No cards to get more from the ATM, you would really be in a world of hurt then.

Here's an idea. Have cash AND a card. I don't believe anyone is suggesting bring NO money.