suprise surprise

udonthani

just tried to use my ATM card for the first time, at a China Bank, even though I know it supposedly dispenses cash in 20,000 batches I thought I'd better start with 10,000.

no money was issued but the card was returned, and a receipt came out that said transaction cancelled, but with a figure that indicated that the amount of 10,000 had been deducted in UK currency from my account.

I'm guessing the machine might have run out of money for the holidays and that there might not actually be any problem at all. But if the money HAS been deducted, what do I do to get it back, just go into the bank outside where it happened or what?

remember, this second option, going into the bank where the mis-transaction happened, may not be available to those tourists that are moving around the country. This is why the Philippines terrible financial infrastructure is such a big minus point for tourism. On the travel forums, I've seen plenty of posts from people that have said they really liked the Philippines but would think twice about ever coming back because of nonsense like this happening and the appallingly backward state of the foreign exchange facilities available here. This is the NUMBER ONE thing - the absolute NUMBER ONE that any country that is remotely serious about having a tourist industry should sort out.

of course, if it was possible in the Philippines to use travellers checks like it is in every other country in the region, none of this would be necessary at all. I wouldn't even bother with an ATM card, just like I never did and would not in Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, etc.

so anybody else have experience of a set of circs like this?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Jess Bartone

• TheDuke

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use ATMs at least twice a week. Never had a problem at all. It is encouraging that these strange things keep happening to you udonthani. Perhaps if they persist you won't be coming back to the Ph

I've lived and travelled there many times using ATMs and have only once had a minor problem with my card.   What a whiny bitchy SOB you are! I just don't get why you keep going back to the Philippi

That's called "Love." He is happy to have a young babe telling him how "Guapo" he is and she is happy to have a "Sugar Daddy." American women do it all the time. It's the way the world turns. Let t

Posted Images

CardiacKid

Now that the smart ass has been fed. I had the same problem with China Bank. I notified my ATM card issuer and they restored the money to my account conditionally pending an investigation. It went in my favor and the money was permanently restored about 10 days later. In retrospect, have had only one occurrence in 5 yrs. here.

• Like 1

well, Whippy, altho I've been buggered by ATMs around the world without at least minimal frustration, I must agree with you that it's like the movie Catch-22 when one tries to resolve banking errors in PH (RP? PI? whatever...); I micro-manage my BPI account, keep "cash-on-hand", use AMEX judiciously, accomodate mine asawa's occasional "loans" from friends and family but it never fails to amaze me that from time to time I find myself stymied as to monetary options here without hair-pulling, teeth-gnashing and short-term borrowing, always hoping to cause nobody "loss of face" (but I'm damned sure to get my money back!...well, maybe not all of it)...caveat emptor, I guess

udonthani

I've been buggered by ATMs around the world.

I haven't, for the simple reason I've never needed to use them anywhere else in the world. I've always used travellers checks everywhere else.

of course, and uniquely in the south east Asian region, travellers checks are almost totally unusuable in the Philippines and is yet one more area where the country is badly out of step. It's also something that would be very easy to sort out, if anybody was actually bothered about the tourism industry here, and realised that the first thing international tourists are going to need is decent foreign exchange facilities.

but of course nobody IS bothered about it - not at all. Zilch. It's now got to the stage where the Communist south east Asian countries' financial infrastructure is superior to that of the Philippines.

Gorilla Stench

For about the last 10 years I have used my Atm card in the Philippines, only once money was taken from my account but not dispensed from the machine and the local bank fixed the problem, it took about a month.

The last couple of years I have been using my visa credit card and also my debit card in department stores in the Philippines, Ive never had a problem.

The banking system seems as good here as most other countries.

As I said on the previous post on the airport which drifted into using ATM's & cards, I lived for a year in Hong Kong, 5 years in Malaysia and almost 5 years here in Luzon now Cebu and the ONLY place I have had any kind of problem was in Malaysia where my card was cloned twice.

I had a double charge here on my card from a purchase at Alabang Home Depot which was reported & corrected immediately but no problems outside of the ATM being down or out of cash. As for travelers cheques (checks) aren't they a bit like snail mail - a decade out of date? I have never used them, never needed to in 13 years of living & working in the Middle & Far East.

You seem to be someone who has the little rain cloud always over their head for some reason :thats-funny:

Just like CardiacKid said...if your ATM transaction geets screwed up most anyplace in the world you are you take it up with the card issuer. Your financial institute.

The Mason

I had this happen recently with my BDO peso savings account. The machine cancelled the transaction, but 20k was shown as deducted on the receipt I got. I checked the BDO website the next day and it listed a 20k debit and a 20k credit with the same transaction number. They fixed it without me having to call them.

udonthani

As for travelers cheques (checks) aren't they a bit like snail mail - out of date?

no not really. The Thais only charge 33 baht, about 70 US cents, to change a TC however high denomination it is - I always use UK 200 pound ones, and they also give higher rates than for cash.

they can also be exchanged in every single bank in the entire country, even in the hickiest towns. Also every single hard currency in the world - US, AUS, EURO, CAN, WON, YEN, SWISS FRANC etc are given equal priority and preference. There isn't any bias towards the US dollar like there is in the Philippines.

all banks in Malaysia also accept travellers checks, however their encashment fee is higher - 10 ringgit.

same goes for Cambodia and Laos. There, they charge 2% comission on each check, and don't have an encashment fee.

now that, following the 2008 global economic crisis, the banks have introduced steep 4 US dollar plus charges for using ATMs throughout south east Asia, TC's have become even more attractive than they were before, though they were always the safest bet compared to ATM's. They have become more competitive and sales are surging again. In all my years on travel forums, I can't remember a single time anybody has reported anything going wrong with TC's. Lose a TC, and all you have to do is turn up at an AMEX office and they'll replace it in 10 minutes. Losing an ATM card is much more problematical.

you're right about card fraud in Malaysia though. Always has been a problem there.

the Philippines is very badly out of the loop with TC's. Tourism chiefs in other countries in the region can clearly see how important they are in giving the visitors a safe and convenient way to get their hands on foreign currency. The Philippines couldn't give a rat's ass about anything like that. They can't even get to first base.

• Like 1

I use ATMs at least twice a week. Never had a problem at all. It is encouraging that these strange things keep happening to you udonthani. Perhaps if they persist you won't be coming back to the Phils.. We can only hope.

Edited by dragon
  • Like 6

I had this happen recently with my BDO peso savings account. The machine cancelled the transaction, but 20k was shown as deducted on the receipt I got. I checked the BDO website the next day and it listed a 20k debit and a 20k credit with the same transaction number. They fixed it without me having to call them.

Last May when I was here I used my Australian bank account card at BDO, same thing it debited my account with $263 AUD but credited it straight away and cancelled the transaction fee. I always use BDO as we also have a Peso savings account.

maybe I should change banks? maybe I should stick close to home...

`

As for travelers cheques (checks) aren't they a bit like snail mail - out of date?

no not really. The Thais only charge 33 baht, about 70 US cents, to change a TC however high denomination it is - I always use UK 200 pound ones, and they also give higher rates than for cash.

they can also be exchanged in every single bank in the entire country, even in the hickiest towns. Also every single hard currency in the world - US, AUS, EURO, CAN, WON, YEN, SWISS FRANC etc are given equal priority and preference. There isn't any bias towards the US dollar like there is in the Philippines.

all banks in Malaysia also accept travelers checks, however their encashment fee is higher - 10 ringgit.

same goes for Cambodia and Laos. There, they charge 2% commission on each check, and don't have an encashment fee.

now that, following the 2008 global economic crisis, the banks have introduced steep 4 US dollar plus charges for using ATM's throughout south east Asia, TC's have become even more attractive than they were before, though they were always the safest bet compared to ATM's. They have become more competitive and sales are surging again. In all my years on travel forums, I can't remember a single time anybody has reported anything going wrong with TC's. Lose a TC, and all you have to do is turn up at an AMEX office and they'll replace it in 10 minutes. Losing an ATM card is much more problematical.

you're right about card fraud in Malaysia though. Always has been a problem there.

the Philippines is very badly out of the loop with TC's. Tourism chiefs in other countries in the region can clearly see how important they are in giving the visitors a safe and convenient way to get their hands on foreign currency. The Philippines couldn't give a rat's ass about anything like that. They can't even get to first base.

I agree totally. I have a friend who travels to Europe every year. I mentioned my dilemma in getting access to cash in the Philippines and the first thing he said was to take Amex TC. He was in shock when I told him that they were not readily accepted and what a pain they were to exchange in the Philippines. He could not fathom a country that did not readily accept Amex TC in 2010....except for maybe N. Korea or Nigeria. I had previously explained to him how backwards the Philippines was but he never really understood until I told him about how much trouble it was to cash Amex TC in the Philippines. They are accepted all over Europe, and the world, and are the preferred financial instrument for getting access to cash without the risk of fraud or loss using an ATM card. That is why I will NEVER use an ATM card in the Philippines or any other 3rd world country. Cash is King baby..............when you travel in the Philippines.

• Like 2
Mandingo

I have always used ATM cards in the Philippines, I bring at least two cards from two different banks and let the banks know in advance what countries I will be in. My wife also has a dollar account at Metro Bank and can use that to receive transfers from my bank accounts in the U.S. I check my balances daily online and can transfer to those accounts from other accounts as needed, can't imagines carrying cash around in large quantities in this day and age, even in a third world country. I did have a ATM not return my card once about 3 years ago on a Saturday night, was returned to me on Monday by the bank and that is the only problem I have ever had using a card there.