Homemade Ricotta cheese recipe

dirtsquirter

dirtsquirter

I have here a ricotta cheese recipe from a very good recipe book I took from the US to the Philippines. I have never tried it, as I was always lacking the lemon juice. Here it is if anyone would like to try it. I would love to know how it comes out if you make it. Ingredients: 1 gal. whole milk, 1 Qt. heavy cream, 2 Tblsp. salt, 7 ounces lemon juice. In a large pot w/heavy bottom, add milk, cream and salt. Allow to come to a soft boil, stirring gently.(when you see the foam rising w/small bubbles.) Allow this to continue until most of the surface of the milk is foaming. Remove from heat, let settle. Add lemon juice at once, return to stove and allow to come to soft boil. Remove from heat, let stand 5 min. With slotted spoon, or strainer, remove the ricotta and place in a colander to drain. Place in container and refrigerate. Please give me some feedback, as I have an awesome recipe for zeppoles from a very old Italian bakery on federal hill in providence, RI. They still make everything the old fashioned way, from crusty italian bread in a 100+ year old beehive brick oven, to their italian pastries and cookies. The recipe is for the filling in the zeppoles, which is mixed w/whipped cream, ricotta cheese, and orange zest, I promise you it's worth every calorie- pure heaven!

cool, dude; THANKS! it does work! cannoli, anyone (my grandmother would be proud that I got this cookery together)...now I just hafta get my pastry act together...

cannoli.gif

Headshot

While what you get from this recipe is probably tasty, it isn't technically ricotta. It is fresh salted cheese curds. Ricotta is made from milk whey...after regular cheese curds have already been made from the whole milk. After the curds (for the cheese) have been removed in the original processing, the whey is reboiled and the ricotta forms from the whey.

While what you get from this recipe is probably tasty, it isn't technically ricotta. It is fresh salted cheese curds. Ricotta is made from milk whey...after regular cheese curds have already been made from the whole milk. After the curds (for the cheese) have been removed in the original processing, the whey is reboiled and the ricotta forms from the whey.

Geez, let's get picky! LOL You have not been here long enough to resort to alternative measures yet.

There is ricotta available here. Sometimes in Ayala Supermarket in the deli section and then there are the wholesale Italian places on AS Fortuna.

I have made it. Both from goat and cow's milk. It came out fine, i just got overpowered by the quantity it makes, ended up in the fridge going furry...

You will find it hard to make a very small amount and what the hell do you do with a couple of pounds of live cheese? It only keeps for a short time so you gotta eat it quick.

dirtsquirter

Thanks for the reply's, It's good to know that it works, and is edible. I guess I will be making a big batch of zeppoles to fill! biggrin_01.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Gorilla Stench

Your answer is spot on.

Ive made mozzerella here in the Philippines and the whey thats left over Ive used to make Riccotta.

4 litres of cows milk, couple of teaspoons of Citric Acid, 1/4 of a rennet tablet.

Rennet tabs not available in the Philippines, you gotta import them.

Happy cheese making