Convert Damaged $100 Bills To Pesos

afmayer

LINC Members ...

I just moved to Cebu City from the USA. I brought quite a few $100 bills with me to convert to pesos. When I went to exchange them, I learned that many of them were damaged ...having cuts (tears, rips, etc.) on them. I learned that no banks or money changers here will take them with this type of damage. These bills would have no problem passing in the USA, but they are useless to exchange here. Thus my dilemma ... I don't plan on returning to the USA in the near future (where they will be excepted no problem) to use them.

Any advice on how to exchange them for pesos? Thanks ...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• afmayer

• smokey

• TheMatrix

• broden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will be gone about 4 or 5 days to manila but i will help you out 43 to the dollar... and when i go to the US Jan or feb i will take them back how many do you want to exchange ? 1/2 peso per dollar

With the way the dollar is going, your offer will probably be valid soon. Will you do other types of laundry for P2,000? hehe

Posted Images

Most banks will want them to be in pristine, or damned close, condition.

Sorry, but I have no helpful information for you. Perhaps someone else will?

The only thing I could suggest is to find someone going back to the States who will sell you pesos here and take the bills back with them.

afmayer

The only thing I could suggest is to find someone going back to the States who will sell you pesos here and take the bills back with them.

That is exactly what BPI told me. I hate to trouble anyone with such a request ... but maybe I will have no choice.

how bad are the condition of the bills

Very minor ... I didn't even notice it.

I'll give you P2,000 spot on cash money for each USD $100 bill.

Good deal good deal..

Send them back by courier (as a document -I have no idea if there are restrictions if you declare cash) to someone you trust who can exchange them for clean ones. Then you can decide which is cheapest -moneygram, paypal (if you can open a bank account here, like BPI) or western union -to get the funds back here. No matter what, it will cost you...

Edited by Aaron
afmayer

Good deal good deal..

Hmmmmm..... unfortunately (for you), I am not that desperate ...

Send them back by courier (as a document -I have no idea if there are restrictions if you declare cash) to someone you trust who can exchange them for clean ones. Then you can decide which is cheapest -moneygram, paypal (if you can open a bank account here, like BPI) or western union -to get the funds back here. No matter what, it will cost you...

How about a short trip to a "close-by" Asian country where they are not so strict? ... Hong Kong ... Kuala Lampur ... etc ...

• Admin (Retired)
broden

this is one of those lessons that can't be passed on often enough

when you are getting ready to fly over and head to the bank to get money in the states (or where ever) ask them for new bill or as new as possible, tell them why, they have always been understanding about such requests for me. then go through the bill carefully in the bank so you won't have to go back later and ask for replacements.

afmayer

this is one of those lessons that can't be passed on often enough

when you are getting ready to fly over and head to the bank to get money in the states (or where ever) ask them for new bill or as new as possible, tell them why, they have always been understanding about such requests for me. then go through the bill carefully in the bank so you won't have to go back later and ask for replacements.

I know that now ... unfortunately too late ...

Good deal good deal..

Hehehe..well, I'm not desperate either. So I have your P2,000 per USD $100 bill here waiting for you. Nice and crisp Filipino money needing to be spent...and of course, its better spent, if spent by you.

I'll be your money launderer...

have tried depositing them into a dollar account then converting to peso

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i've never been turned down 100% on any bills . always found some place that would change them but then i've never had bills with much more then a slight nick. are you there alone? with a new girlfriend or long time S.O. or wife? if you know her have her try some places too we've changed money and at times for better rates and random chinese jewelry stores and the like. i remember one family having us eat with them years back while they took care of our business

if you have enough to get by just hold on to the damaged ones till you get home

hit the atms if you have to

smokey

I will be gone about 4 or 5 days to manila but i will help you out 43 to the dollar... and when i go to the US Jan or feb i will take them back how many do you want to exchange ? 1/2 peso per dollar so i make 500 peso on 1,000 dollars

Edited by robert51
  • Like 1
afmayer

Good deal good deal..

Hehehe..well, I'm not desperate either. So I have your P2,000 per USD $100 bill here waiting for you. Nice and crisp Filipino money needing to be spent...and of course, its better spent, if spent by you.

I'll be your money launderer...

With the way the dollar is going, your offer will probably be valid soon. Will you do other types of laundry for P2,000? hehe

• Like 1