Heads up guys

Its nice to be approached by a friendly stranger. But I say you better know the guy a bit longer than a few hours before you take a drink with them. This scenario is very similar to girls in date rape.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• easy44

• Jess Bartone

• Traviz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it says a lot about how much you owe to him and your ticket out of the Phlillipines that you refer to your husband as 'the' husband, not 'my' husband.

And that shows what a malicious twisted mind you've got!!!!   True, I am not my husband's financial equal and he paid for my plane ticket

fair comment. Netherthless I maintain that foreign spouses can tend to be looked upon as commodities, not real human beings.

Posted Images

This type of scam has been going on in Ermita and Angeles City since the late 70's.

It was then centered around the Australian owned Hotel's and Clubs. (Kangaroo Club, Swagman, Clarkton Hotel, Randy Rams etc.)

The deal was to get the tourists and relieve them of their cash by various ways.

At the time they would use the same ruse (Hi Sir, Remember me I work at your Hotel etc.) and if the "mark" was gullible enough, they would then take you for a ride in a taxi to some place for a Massage or a friendly Game of Cards.

You would then lose what money you had on you and again if gullible enough they would take you to the Hotel to empty your safety deposit box.

I heard of a guy who got talked into the Card Game deal and was seen getting more cash together to go back and try again as he was sure he would have better luck the next time!

Looks like this tried and tested recipe is still working.

The old saying "There is one on every Airplane" is still true!

The Mason

It could be an urban legend, but it could also be true.

I got to Robinson's in Ermita every day to grab coffee and get my daily walking in. I'm approached by people at least twice a week who say they 'know me from my hotel'. That part of the story is very likely true.

In any event, its stories like this one that cause me to completely ignore all strangers I meet when I'm out and about. I don't say hello, I don't make small talk, and I certainly don't sit down for a drink with a stranger here. You're better off assuming strangers have ulterior motives. Very few people here are friendly just for the sake of friendliness.

My, what a jaded, heartless attitude! LOL

I meet very friendly people as well, but people that just randomly approach you in public like that are suspect. If I meet people around my building, at my families neighborhood, social gatherings, etc. then I'm much more open and not as suspicious.

But some guy approaching you in the mall or on the street? I have no interest in meeting those people and doubt that they have honest intentions.

I was about to say the same thing.

I have been hearing about the same scam since the late-80's, and it was old then.

I have often been approached by strangers with some story designed to ingratiate themselves with me.

Walking across Luneta when one guy said "I was the immigration agent when you arrived <at NAIA>".

I always ask myself, "ould the same thing happen if I was walking around Hyde Park in London?" (Or Central Park in NY? Insert park and city of your choice!)

The most amusing one was during a recent trip when I was approached by a guy with the line, "we are holding a party and have loads of booze and plenty of naked women, but need more guys."

Again the question, "does this happen in your home town?"

If not, it isnt going to happen anywhere.

(If it does, please tell me where you live!)

It could be an urban legend, but it could also be true.

I got to Robinson's in Ermita every day to grab coffee and get my daily walking in. I'm approached by people at least twice a week who say they 'know me from my hotel'. That part of the story is very likely true.

In any event, its stories like this one that cause me to completely ignore all strangers I meet when I'm out and about. I don't say hello, I don't make small talk, and I certainly don't sit down for a drink with a stranger here. You're better off assuming strangers have ulterior motives. Very few people here are friendly just for the sake of friendliness.

My, what a jaded, heartless attitude! LOL

I meet very friendly people as well, but people that just randomly approach you in public like that are suspect. If I meet people around my building, at my families neighborhood, social gatherings, etc. then I'm much more open and not as suspicious.

But some guy approaching you in the mall or on the street? I have no interest in meeting those people and doubt that they have honest intentions.

I agree, I was just being facetious. I guess I should have used a smiley.

smokey

i seen that ass hole at robbinsons .. short hair ... about 30 years old like a crew cut..long pants , colored shirt.. . roaming robbinsons with the old i am a guard at your hotel .. who falls for that one? Dang.. he tried to hit me up and i said dude i have lived here many years so what hotel did you see me at... he just walked out..

I encountered a guy outside the Cocobana hotel in July with the same line. "Hi, I work security at your hotel, I am off duty now, want to go to a private bar for a drink?" Apparently this bar had 60 topless dancers and is only open for a few days. Who knows what this guys plans were. Robbery, kidnap, drugging? Do not stop and talk to lone male filipinos in the cities, they only want something from you. Other variations of the "I work at your hotel" confidence scam are, invitations to cock fights or poker games where you WILL lose.

Where exactly is "Robertson's" mall ? I never heard of it.

What was the name of the hotel ?

I think he meant Robinsons

He is just being his grumpy old self... i

udonthani

there's signs up warning about this scam in plenty of hotels in Angeles and Ermita. Always best to finish up your drink before you go for a piss in Balibago. Same goes for Bangkok really.

Wombat No More

AAAAWW! They haven't approached me yet! Could do with a bit of excitement now and then.

No, I've been approached a few times with attempts at striking up a friendship etc. I'm talking of the ones that are a bit suss feeling and I don't know, I give them my smiling face but something about me makes them break off the conversation quickly and bugger off???

Must be my pretty face... pretty ugly that is! But... I take two ugly pills every morning... what's your excuse?

post-6386-055532500 1287570555_thumb.jpg

As Robert51 said..... when someone says "I am a guard at your hotel"".... my reply is always "and which hotel is that"......I have never had a correct reply to that question yet !!

Also the same as The Mason, when out I am very aware of people that I don't know.... I'll chat with anyone but with limitations..... you can usually detect if a request for help is coming.... just move along quickly..... drink with a stranger...... usually only if we have met in a bar...I would still be very careful...... whether that is Manila, Cebu. London or New York.

udonthani

I've had the same guy approaching me about being the security guard in my hotel months later, having forgotten my face, and asking me, again, to jump on the back of his motorcycle to get a 'discount' at the new bar his pal has just opened up. You remember them because for you, there's relatively few of them, but for them, there's loads of you, so they forget you.

I've been approached in Angeles by the "Hi remeber me mob" and just ignored them and walked on but the most novel approach was in Ermita in 1986 when some twat reckoned he was making a movie and wanted me in it, ended up ignoring him and walking on as well...

Another one that was tried on me in Bali was.......... said friendly guy asks where your from then says his cute younger sister is going there to study next month, wana meet her? It probably gets a few guys in.

A mate of mine got roped into a card game in Penang years ago after being approached in a mall by a friendly woman offering him to eat vegemite sandwiches with her.......... a fool he was, but he got himself out of the situation!

fool he was, but he got himself out of the situation!

Must be why they are targeting Australian hotels! LOLOLOL

If someone told you they 're from your hotel, tell them you are so glad to see them because you need to borrow 2000 Pesos and will pay back at the hotel front desk, see how fast they will move.

I always take my brother inlaw or local Pinoy friends with me when I go out, I feel much safer.

• Like 2

I wound up giving him 650 P just to get rid of him. There was something about him that set my alarm bells off and I was just glad to see him go. Live and learn.

I just hope that more people learn sooner than later as every time this happens it perpetuates the whole scamming scenario. The wolves would go away if the sheep wised up. Cheers!

• Like 1