Heads up guys

Hi Guys. My first post.

When my Filipina partner came home from work today, she related to me a horror story heard from another lady she works with. This happened about a week ago to her friends, who have just returned to Australia from a holiday in the Philippines.

I thought I should relate this here, as the same thing almost happened to me too only a few months ago.

The perpetrators got away with this, and will probably do so again, so Heads up.

The man was Australian and his partner Filipina. They were spending a few days in Ermita to do some shopping before heading back to Australia. It was decided that the lady would go on her own to shop at Divisoria as she'd get much better prices if her Caucasian partner were not with her. He, on the other hand decided to wander around Robertson's Mall to do some shopping of his own.

What happens to him next is exactly the same as happened to me up to when he had the drink.

As he wandered the mall, he was approached by a Filipino man who claimed to be an off duty security guard who knew him from his hotel. He acted friendly and asked if he could help as the man appeared lost and in need of assistance. After a while of shopping together, the Australian and the Filipino had a drink together.

That was the last thing the Australian remembered, till he woke up in a strange Hotel with an under age Filipina school girl in bed next to him.

After being arrested and taken to the local police station where he was confronted by the girls parents, uncles, Aunts and their solicitors, he was charged with rape and thrown in jail for a few days.

In the end, the man's friends from the church he goes to in Australia pooled their money together to come up with the P200,000.00 demanded for him to be let out.

They had trouble getting out of the country too, and had to pay "fees" at the airport.

They have been very shaken by the experience and never want to visit the Philippines again.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• easy44

• Jess Bartone

• Traviz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it says a lot about how much you owe to him and your ticket out of the Phlillipines that you refer to your husband as 'the' husband, not 'my' husband.

And that shows what a malicious twisted mind you've got!!!!   True, I am not my husband's financial equal and he paid for my plane ticket

fair comment. Netherthless I maintain that foreign spouses can tend to be looked upon as commodities, not real human beings.

Posted Images

Jess Bartone

Very interesting. Either an elaborate scam or an elaborate cover up story. The first thing to do would be to have a blood test for the "knock out drops", which would clear or condemn either side, depending on the result.

The Mason

It could be an urban legend, but it could also be true.

I got to Robinson's in Ermita every day to grab coffee and get my daily walking in. I'm approached by people at least twice a week who say they 'know me from my hotel'. That part of the story is very likely true.

In any event, its stories like this one that cause me to completely ignore all strangers I meet when I'm out and about. I don't say hello, I don't make small talk, and I certainly don't sit down for a drink with a stranger here. You're better off assuming strangers have ulterior motives. Very few people here are friendly just for the sake of friendliness.

• Like 2

. Very few people here are friendly just for the sake of friendliness.

I'm so glad my experience is the exact opposite of this. Every time I visit the Phils, the friendliness of the people astounds and gladdens me.

Pete of New Hampshire

• Like 5

It could be an urban legend, but it could also be true.

I got to Robinson's in Ermita every day to grab coffee and get my daily walking in. I'm approached by people at least twice a week who say they 'know me from my hotel'. That part of the story is very likely true.

In any event, its stories like this one that cause me to completely ignore all strangers I meet when I'm out and about. I don't say hello, I don't make small talk, and I certainly don't sit down for a drink with a stranger here. You're better off assuming strangers have ulterior motives. Very few people here are friendly just for the sake of friendliness.

My, what a jaded, heartless attitude! LOL

• Like 1

I don't personally know the people involved, so I can't vouch for the truthfulness of their story, but I thought I should relate it publicly as it was in the same mall it happened to me and the coincidences were striking.

Might save some other foreigner some grief if they know what to watch out for..

With me, the scammer was having an enormous amount of trouble communicating, as I'm profoundly deaf from birth and a lip reader. I think I wore him out having to repeat himself all the time. This went on for about an hour, then he spun this story of it being his 6 yo daughters birthday and cried poor mouth that he didn't have any money to buy her a present...

I offered to give him 100P as it was my last day before going back to Australia anyway and I wanted to get rid of some pesos, but he screwed his face up at it. I said, what's the matter and he said .. not enough. I wound up giving him 650 P just to get rid of him. There was something about him that set my alarm bells off and I was just glad to see him go. Live and learn.

Jess Bartone

I wonder how they got him from the watering hole to the hotel room if he was out cold.

• Like 1

I wonder how they got him from the watering hole to the hotel room if he was out cold.

ATIVAN

Lorazepam (initially marketed under the brand names Ativan and Temesta) is a high potency benzodiazepine drug which has all five intrinsic benzodiazepine effects: anxiolytic, amnesic, sedative/hypnotic, anticonvulsant and muscle relaxant.[4][5] Lorazepam is used for the short-term treatment of anxiety, insomnia, acute seizures including status epilepticus and sedation of hospitalised patients, as well as sedation of aggressive patients.[5][6][7][8]

Lorazepam is considered to be a short-acting drug which, similar to other benzodiazepines, exerts its therapeutic as well as adverse effects via its interaction at benzodiazepine binding sites, which are located on GABAA receptors in the central nervous system. After its introduction in 1977, lorazepam's principal use was in treating anxiety. Among benzodiazepines, lorazepam has a relatively high addictive potential.[4][9] Lorazepam also has abuse potential; the main types of misuse are for recreational purposes or continued use against medical advice.[10] The sedative-hypnotic and anterograde amnesia properties of lorazepam are sometimes used for criminal purposes.[11][12]

Edited by Wirraway

They actually have the whole scam choreographed down to a science.

Upon the signal given by the 'drinking buddy', six of his cohorts come swooping in and tote the 'sleeping' foriegner through the mall, the guarded entrance, and on to a waiting multicab. It's actually a fairly common sight. No one even bats an eye at it.

You should get out more. :biggrin_01:

• Like 1

They actually have the whole scam choreographed down to a science.

Upon the signal given by the 'drinking buddy', six of his cohorts come swooping in and tote the 'sleeping' foriegner through the mall, the guarded entrance, and on to a waiting multicab. It's actually a fairly common sight. No one even bats an eye at it.

You should get out more. :biggrin_01:

20 yrs ago there were Ativan gangs operating in Manila mainly for purposes of robbery, then the victim usually was out of it for about 24 hours.

I encountered a guy outside the Cocobana hotel in July with the same line. "Hi, I work security at your hotel, I am off duty now, want to go to a private bar for a drink?" Apparently this bar had 60 topless dancers and is only open for a few days. Who knows what this guys plans were. Robbery, kidnap, drugging? Do not stop and talk to lone male filipinos in the cities, they only want something from you. Other variations of the "I work at your hotel" confidence scam are, invitations to cock fights or poker games where you WILL lose.

Where exactly is "Robertson's" mall ? I never heard of it.

What was the name of the hotel ?

I think he meant Robinsons

ATIVAN

Lorazepam (initially marketed under the brand names Ativan and Temesta) is a high potency benzodiazepine drug which has all five intrinsic benzodiazepine effects: anxiolytic, amnesic, sedative/hypnotic, anticonvulsant and muscle relaxant.[4][5] Lorazepam is used for the short-term treatment of anxiety, insomnia, acute seizures including status epilepticus and sedation of hospitalised patients, as well as sedation of aggressive patients.[5][6][7][8]

Lorazepam is considered to be a short-acting drug which, similar to other benzodiazepines, exerts its therapeutic as well as adverse effects via its interaction at benzodiazepine binding sites, which are located on GABAA receptors in the central nervous system. After its introduction in 1977, lorazepam's principal use was in treating anxiety. Among benzodiazepines, lorazepam has a relatively high addictive potential.[4][9] Lorazepam also has abuse potential; the main types of misuse are for recreational purposes or continued use against medical advice.[10] The sedative-hypnotic and anterograde amnesia properties of lorazepam are sometimes used for criminal purposes.[11][12]

I dont think so..........Ativan is fine for getting some sleep on the plane and generalised anxiety but it takes a lot to knock you out. However I did discover recently in Thailand that Midazolam was available as a sleeping tablet the dosage of 15mg is more than is often used in hospital intravenously for small procedures.

Edited by Ricbak
Ozepete

Did they contact the Australian Consul?

Seems a bit odd to me!