Huh, city slickers, ceaseless pissing and moaning about something they claim to love and can't live without. Tongue in cheek or not, the OP is thinly veiled elitism.

Perhaps, as in soviet Russia, they could allot a lane for people of, shall we say, a certain social station. Some of the criteria for being among the privileged drivers could be: amount of cash in bank, amount of cash in pocket, colour of skin, ethnicity, bribes paid to "friends" in high places... being someone who perceives him/herself as special, well above the poor seething mass trying to make sense of the chaos into which they were born... damn peasants, send them all back to the provinces where they belong, to starve in private and out of sight of sensitive eyes... but keep a few there to serve the elite... dress them in crisply starched white sarongs and barongs with cute little pillbox hats and white gloves... and then utter clich

• Like 1
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• udonthani

• smokey

• poby

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe the reason you have trouble getting one is they remember you and know you don't tip.

MPT, it is the law of line observation...the other line always moves faster. If you move to the other line, the line you were originally in will move faster. The same thing happens in traffic here. Th

Try catching a taxi between 4 and 7pm in Cebu City. A lot faster to take a jeepney cos there just aren't any taxis available. I've noticed it's a lot worse than when I came here 3 years ago and it s

udonthani

Maybe the reason you have trouble getting one is they remember you and know you don't tip. :D

Bingo! Foreigners are memorable to taxi drives. Tightwad foreigners even more so.

when I was working in the US, we had some Indian clients come over for business. They were staying in a nearby hotel and called for a taxi each morning. Per Indian custom, they did not tip the drivers. After the third day, no driver would come and pick them up at their hotel.

We advised them on tipping customs and suggested they call a different company for a taxi.

that makes perfect sense, in the US, where it is the norm for Americans to tip routinely.

not in the Philippines though, or anywhere else in any of the other south east Asian countries in which double the population of the US, half a billion people, live, where it simply isn't the norm to tip.

I've also found it difficult to get rides from taxis in Cebu city at some hours of the day, to certain destinations at any rate, on the meter, and even more difficult in Manila. The drivers just dont think its worth their while to take the work, and neither would I if I were them. In fact I posted a topic about this some time ago, when I couldn't get a driver to take me out to Lapu-Lapu from Fuento Osmena at 4.30pm. I ended up getting a jeepney to SM and then a v-hire, and then a short 40-odd peso taxi to the subdivision where we'd been invited to a party.

that was from Fuento Osmena. The girl I was with had no problem getting a taxi to the exact same place and the same time, but not because she's a Filipino and I'm not. She happened to want a taxi from Mandaue. Had she been in Fuento and I were in Mandaue, and we wanted to rendevous in Lapu-Lapu, then she'd have been the one that had a problem getting a taxi on the meter at 4.30pm, not me.

tom_shor

Just buy a car dude.

Better yet buy a taxi and have him wait for you.

tom_shor

Maybe the reason you have trouble getting one is they remember you and know you don't tip. :D

Bingo! Foreigners are memorable to taxi drives. Tightwad foreigners even more so.

when I was working in the US, we had some Indian clients come over for business. They were staying in a nearby hotel and called for a taxi each morning. Per Indian custom, they did not tip the drivers. After the third day, no driver would come and pick them up at their hotel.

We advised them on tipping customs and suggested they call a different company for a taxi.

that makes perfect sense, in the US, where it is the norm for Americans to tip routinely.

not in the Philippines though, or anywhere else in any of the other south east Asian countries in which double the population of the US, half a billion people, live, where it simply isn't the norm to tip.

I've also found it difficult to get rides from taxis in Cebu city at some hours of the day, to certain destinations at any rate, on the meter, and even more difficult in Manila. The drivers just dont think its worth their while to take the work, and neither would I if I were them. In fact I posted a topic about this some time ago, when I couldn't get a driver to take me out to Lapu-Lapu from Fuento Osmena at 4.30pm. I ended up getting a jeepney to SM and then a v-hire, and then a short 40-odd peso taxi to the subdivision where we'd been invited to a party.

that was from Fuento Osmena. The girl I was with had no problem getting a taxi to the exact same place and the same time, but not because she's a Filipino and I'm not. She happened to want a taxi from Mandaue. Had she been in Fuento and I were in Mandaue, and we wanted to rendevous in Lapu-Lapu, then she'd have been the one that had a problem getting a taxi on the meter at 4.30pm, not me.

So tyake a taxi to Mandaue.

Headshot

That was from Fuente Osmena. The girl I was with had no problem getting a taxi to the exact same place and the same time, but not because she's a Filipino and I'm not. She happened to want a taxi from Mandaue. Had she been in Fuento and I were in Mandaue, and we wanted to rendevous in Lapu-Lapu, then she'd have been the one that had a problem getting a taxi on the meter at 4.30pm, not me.

So take a taxi to Mandaue.

I have never had a problem getting a taxi to SM City, so if you are going someplace on the far side of the city (Mandaue or Lapu Lapu) and the driver baulks, just have him take you to SM. Every driver will take you to SM, since it is taxi central in Cebu City. At SM, it is much less likely that a taxi driver will refuse to take you to your destination on the meter. If they do, you can report them on the spot and they will become persona-non-grata at SM.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
musicman666

living here is all about choices ... and i think its common to find you need to give up somethings you used to having but the price is good living at a reasonable price.. ..

for sure.. when i lived in hong kong i didnt need a car becuase they had an amazing public transport system... when i came to cebu i gave all that up and bought a car. :D

udonthani

I have never had a problem getting a taxi to SM City, so if you are going someplace on the far side of the city (Mandaue or Lapu Lapu) and the driver baulks, just have him take you to SM. Every driver will take you to SM, since it is taxi central in Cebu City. At SM, it is much less likely that a taxi driver will refuse to take you to your destination on the meter. If they do, you can report them on the spot and they will become persona-non-grata at SM.

I don't think that would be right. A driver should be able to refuse a fare if he wants, regardless of what the rules are supposed to be.

this kind of thing used to be much more common in Bangkok 10 years ago than it is today. Traffic was so bad, drivers would quite often refuse to take you on the meter, not because they were trying to rip you off, but because it just wasn't worth their while. Then they spent billions of dollars on the skytrain and metro system, traffic lightened, and refusals from drivers declined markedly.

the meter ticking in a line of traffic just isn't enough for drivers. What they really want is plenty of short, sharp fares where they keep getting a flagfall, not somebody that wants to go for miles and sit in a traffic jam for an hour or more. I think they are definitely entitled to refuse those sorts of fares on the meter if they want.

Headshot

If they do refuse you, you can report them on the spot and they will become persona-non-grata at SM.

I don't think that would be right. A driver should be able to refuse a fare if he wants, regardless of what the rules are supposed to be.

Well...regardless of what you think is right, you can report thrm to the SM City Mall...OR you can just catch the next taxi in line where you will likely find a driver who has no problem going to Mactan.

udonthani

if it is a regulation, it's not a fair one. Drivers are traders, not serfs, as such they are entitled to refuse service, just like anyone else is. They could have any number of totally legitimate reasons for not to wanting to convey somebody to a particular destination, and in my opinion not getting an adequate level of compensation for the work or time involved ought to be one of them. They could also be coming to the end of their shift, with just time for one more fare, but only a shortish one, not a long one way out of town. Would you report them for that too.

as you say, just get another driver if one isn't ready to use the meter. There's usually plenty. But when you ask half a dozen, and they all say no, that's when you realise that they're not trying to pull a fast one at all and there's a good reason for them not conveying you on the meter.

basically, when you have the freedom to get another taxi, they should have the freedom to seek another fare too - a better one, a shorter one of the type that when they add up at the end of the shift, earns them much more money than long fares stuck in traffic do.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i've known a ton of taxi drivers in New York and any driver should be able to refuse any customer just like any store can. if nothing else it's a safety issue

whether it's allowed in the RP or not is a whole different story

Headshot

if it is a regulation, it's not a fair one. Drivers are traders, not serfs, as such they are entitled to refuse service, just like anyone else is. They could have any number of totally legitimate reasons for not to wanting to convey somebody to a particular destination, and in my opinion not getting an adequate level of compensation for the work or time involved ought to be one of them. They could also be coming to the end of their shift, with just time for one more fare, but only a shortish one, not a long one way out of town. Would you report them for that too.

as you say, just get another driver if one isn't ready to use the meter. There's usually plenty. But when you ask half a dozen, and they all say no, that's when you realise that they're not trying to pull a fast one at all and there's a good reason for them not conveying you on the meter.

basically, when you have the freedom to get another taxi, they should have the freedom to seek another fare too - a better one, a shorter one of the type that when they add up at the end of the shift, earns them much more money than long fares stuck in traffic do.

Well...First of all, I've never reported a taxi driver for anything. I just said you could. I have my own vehicle now and I seldom use taxis anymore. I doubt seriously that many people have ever reported a driver. About the only thing that would induce me to report a driver is if he refused to use the meter. I don't like cheats. The government sets the meter rate...not me.

At the same time, I have NEVER had a taxi driver at SM Mall refuse to take me anywhere in the Cebu metro area. It is centrally located and is the heart of the taxi world here, which was why I suggested it. I have also never had a taxi driver (when I caught the taxi at SM) refuse to use the meter. They love to try that at the airport but not at SM. So...I would say it's a moot point.

• Like 1
udonthani

the only thing that would induce me to report a driver is if he refused to use the meter. I don't like cheats.

drivers refusing to use the meter doesn't automatically equate to them being a cheat. It may well do, but it might not.

my thinking is when you ask about five drivers to take you somewhere, and they all of them refuse to use the meter, then they're not all of them trying to cheat you. It's got to do with where you want to go, i.e. there must be a pretty good reason why none of them don't want to use it at that particular time of day.

I've hardly ever had any problems with Cebu taxi drivers, trouble is I got a bad first impression of them the first time I ever arrived in the city, at the ferry terminal when I got a right git who was so bad, I probably should have reported him.

I just got back from Cebu and only had trouble with cabs 4 times.

Twice it was after 11pm and it was raining one of them nights.

The other two times was the same day at the docks the driver wanted 120p to

get us to the diplomate and the other wanted 20 over the meter.

We walked 2 blocks and got one for meter.

But over all I had no problems.

All I got to say is I'll be back.

udonthani

last time I was at the docks there was some security dude handing out those complaint coupons like you see at malls, at the docks they can be worse than at the airport. That jerk that was my first ever taxi driver in Cebu saw I was a touch distracted because I was with a girl I'd met on the ferry, I'd forgotten to ask him to put the meter on then he demanded some ridiculous price while we were in motion. He just flat out refused to put the meter on during the ride. I wasn't having any of it and just gave him 60 pesos which is what I guessed the ride was worth at the end. When there's two of you and you're sitting in the back, you're more vulnerable to a scam attempt anywhere. When it's just you, and you sit in front alongside the driver, they won't try it on anywhere near as much. It's psychological. In the front, you're a pal. In the back, you're a mark.

i've known a ton of taxi drivers in New York and any driver should be able to refuse any customer just like any store can. if nothing else it's a safety issue

whether it's allowed in the RP or not is a whole different story

On the other hand, SM Mall is also a business and should be able to control who they permit to come in and out. :shitstormretarded: