KeithAngel

Or my personal favorite...I love the security guards who step out on the street to block traffic...so a vehicle can enter the roadway from a subdivision or business without having to wait for traffic...even though they have just created a traffic jam on the roadway that will last for several minutes...like that driver's time is worth more than mine.

It is but only in that specific location lol

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• udonthani

• smokey

• poby

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe the reason you have trouble getting one is they remember you and know you don't tip.

MPT, it is the law of line observation...the other line always moves faster. If you move to the other line, the line you were originally in will move faster. The same thing happens in traffic here. Th

Try catching a taxi between 4 and 7pm in Cebu City. A lot faster to take a jeepney cos there just aren't any taxis available. I've noticed it's a lot worse than when I came here 3 years ago and it s

mabutiman

Maybe it is has changed since I was last there (2007), but everytime I walked down the road every other taxi would slowly drive by honking to get my attention. It drove me crazy after a little while since I just wanted to walk.

have to agree .... after travelling to most major cities in the Phils and living in Manila for many years i find that Cebu easily has by far the most taxis ..... did have .... does have ..... and will have

as nothing changes .....

Well, then you did not read about Cebu finding so many units that are not legal...they claim there are only supposed to be 4,500 taxi...when in fact there are over 6000 units. It seems some are using the same paperwork on many units. If you buy a car, then you will be here saying, "I wish they would get rid of 2000 taxis and 2000 jeepneys on the road."

That is right! Take the slow tricycles and tricycids, taxis and habal-habals that weave in and out of traffic with little regard for others, and jeepneys and buses that stop anywhere they want, in any lane, to pick up and let off passengers...and you can explain most traffic problems in Cebu City. Add to that the fact that most of the drivers of these vehicles believe they always have the right-of-way, whether they signal or not, and whether they look or not...and you have the recipes for a traffic disaster...which is what we have here. I hate driving here; but I hate riding with these guys worse.

Coupled with this are poor city planning (narrow city streets that serve way too many people) and selective traffic enforcement (the police only enforce laws where they think they can make money). On the narrowest streets in the city, you will still find tricycids and habal-habals lined up along the street (blocking at least half of the traffic lane) forcing moving vehicles to squeeze past them at walking speed (since there are always pedestrians walking on the street too). The police will not try to move these vehicles that are blocking traffic, but will instead go to the widest streets to set up roadblocks where they can nab motorcycle drivers who aren't wearing helmets...because they know they will be able to make some extra cash from that.

In locations where jeepneys are stopping on inside lanes to load and unload passengers, or making u-turns in heavy traffic, the police (or barangay volunteers) will actually step in and help them by stopping other traffic. WTF??? Or my personal favorite...I love the security guards who step out on the street to block traffic...so a vehicle can enter the roadway from a subdivision or business without having to wait for traffic...even though they have just created a traffic jam on the roadway that will last for several minutes...like that driver's time is worth more than mine.

The root word is habal which translated means "to copulate; have sex; make love" - quite a nice allegory I find :biggrin_01:

• Like 1

The root word is habal which translated means "to copulate; have sex; make love" - quite a nice allegory I find :why-me:

Ah, so 'habal-habal' means 'to seriously f*** traffic'. :biggrin_01:

Headshot

The root word is habal which translated means "to copulate; have sex; make love" - quite a nice allegory I find :)

Yeah...when you see how many people they get on one of those things and how closely they pack them in with their legs spread open, it does look like a moving orgy. And, of course, their hands are all over each other as they go flying down the street.

:blink::pimp::shocked::biggrin_01::why-me::bighug:

Edited by Headshot
Ah, so 'habal-habal' means 'to seriously f*** traffic'. :biggrin_01:

No. It means to make love to the traffic. :why-me:

If you want to f*** the traffic, you would use the word "iyot". That word translates directly to f***.

smokey

Well, then you did not read about Cebu finding so many units that are not legal...they claim there are only supposed to be 4,500 taxi...when in fact there are over 6000 units. It seems some are using the same paperwork on many units. If you buy a car, then you will be here saying, "I wish they would get rid of 2000 taxis and 2000 jeepneys on the road."

That is right! Take the slow tricycles and tricycids, taxis and hubal-hubals that weave in and out of traffic with little regard for others, and jeepneys and buses that stop anywhere they want, in any lane, to pick up and let off passengers...and you can explain most traffic problems in Cebu City. Add to that the fact that most of the drivers of these vehicles believe they always have the right-of-way, whether they signal or not, and whether they look or not...and you have the recipes for a traffic disaster...which is what we have here. I hate driving here; but I hate riding with these guys worse.

Coupled with this are poor city planning (narrow city streets that serve way too many people) and selective traffic enforcement (the police only enforce laws where they think they can make money). On the narrowest streets in the city, you will still find tricycids and hubal-hubals lined up along the street (blocking at least half of the traffic lane) forcing moving vehicles to squeeze past them at walking speed (since there are always pedestrians walking on the street too). The police will not try to move these vehicles that are blocking traffic, but will instead go to the widest streets to set up roadblocks where they can nab motorcycle drivers who aren't wearing helmets...because they know they will be able to make some extra cash from that.

In locations where jeepneys are stopping on inside lanes to load and unload passengers, or making u-turns in heavy traffic, the police (or barangay volunteers) will actually step in and help them by stopping other traffic. WTF??? Or my personal favorite...I love the security guards who step out on the street to block traffic...so a vehicle can enter the roadway from a subdivision or business without having to wait for traffic...even though they have just created a traffic jam on the roadway that will last for several minutes...like that driver's time is worth more than mine.

welcome to the PHILIPPINES such a small problem for all the milk and honey you receive ////

• Like 1
Jim Sibbick

It is not a new problem downtown. It has always been a problem for me at that time on Pelaez Street. So much so that I used to plan my day so as not to need a taxi then.

Any other time of day, the taxis are driving past continuously, seeking business. And at night, the taxi drivers sleep in the taxis in Pelaez Street. Just knock on the window to wake them up and off you go. But 5pm to 6pm, forget it.

Regards; Jim

Jess Bartone

Huh, city slickers, ceaseless pissing and moaning about something they claim to love and can't live without. Tongue in cheek or not, the OP is thinly veiled elitism.

Perhaps, as in soviet Russia, they could allot a lane for people of, shall we say, a certain social station. Some of the criteria for being among the privileged drivers could be: amount of cash in bank, amount of cash in pocket, colour of skin, ethnicity, bribes paid to "friends" in high places... being someone who perceives him/herself as special, well above the poor seething mass trying to make sense of the chaos into which they were born... damn peasants, send them all back to the provinces where they belong, to starve in private and out of sight of sensitive eyes... but keep a few there to serve the elite... dress them in crisply starched white sarongs and barongs with cute little pillbox hats and white gloves... and then utter clich

thebob

If you consider that most Taxis only have 1 customer then taxis are part of the problem. Habal-habal, because they travel overloaded help to reduce that problem.

Taxi numbers are controlled by franchise, so the powers that be attempt to create demand by reducing the available franchises. This is the reason that so many "illegal" taxis operate.

Logically the first step is to remove illegal vehicles, of all kinds, from the road. There are several reasons why this is not done, although I have noticed that registering a vehicle has become much more difficult, since the new administration took power. Enforcement of traffic laws, needs to be turned into a revenue stream for the city/province. rather than a revenue stream for the enforcers. That way enforcement can help to reduce problems for road users.

Increasing the flag fare would be quite controversial, but I can see merit in identifying the areas of congestion and imposing an excess charge for those areas between certain times. For example, if there were an excess charge for a particular area, this could be denoted by color. ie. +30 pesos for the yellow zone +40 pesos for the blue zone and +50 pesos for the red zone. This would give incentive for taxis to ply areas with more customers, but not penalize customers traveling in less congested areas.

Obviously, this will not work until the present laws are enforced in a systematic manner. But to be fair to the city/province administrations it is a very difficult job, and they have many other higher priority problems to keep them busy.

smokey

Huh, city slickers, ceaseless pissing and moaning about something they claim to love and can't live without. Tongue in cheek or not, the OP is thinly veiled elitism.

Perhaps, as in soviet Russia, they could allot a lane for people of, shall we say, a certain social station. Some of the criteria for being among the privileged drivers could be: amount of cash in bank, amount of cash in pocket, colour of skin, ethnicity, bribes paid to "friends" in high places... being someone who perceives him/herself as special, well above the poor seething mass trying to make sense of the chaos into which they were born... damn peasants, send them all back to the provinces where they belong, to starve in private and out of sight of sensitive eyes... but keep a few there to serve the elite... dress them in crisply starched white sarongs and barongs with cute little pillbox hats and white gloves... and then utter clichéd phrases like "I'll have my boy bring the car around after he fetches your trilby and walking cane... need your shoes polished? Any other pressing matters? I can have the chambermaid take care of that too".

That is a lot of rambling about??????????????????????????????????????????????????/ peasants I don't think are the people who are taking all the taxi units but heck maybe they are... there are always solutions to each and every problem.... buy car , buy bike, or walk are three that come to mind for me... feel free to add your own ways to solves this small speed bump of life

Edited by robert51
smokey

If you consider that most Taxis only have 1 customer then taxis are part of the problem. Habal-habal, because they travel overloaded help to reduce that problem.

Taxi numbers are controlled by franchise, so the powers that be attempt to create demand by reducing the available franchises. This is the reason that so many "illegal" taxis operate.

Logically the first step is to remove illegal vehicles, of all kinds, from the road. There are several reasons why this is not done, although I have noticed that registering a vehicle has become much more difficult, since the new administration took power. Enforcement of traffic laws, needs to be turned into a revenue stream for the city/province. rather than a revenue stream for the enforcers. That way enforcement can help to reduce problems for road users.

Increasing the flag fare would be quite controversial, but I can see merit in identifying the areas of congestion and imposing an excess charge for those areas between certain times. For example, if there were an excess charge for a particular area, this could be denoted by color. ie. +30 pesos for the yellow zone +40 pesos for the blue zone and +50 pesos for the red zone. This would give incentive for taxis to ply areas with more customers, but not penalize customers traveling in less congested areas.

Obviously, this will not work until the present laws are enforced in a systematic manner. But to be fair to the city/province administrations it is a very difficult job, and they have many other higher priority problems to keep them busy.

two reasons your ideas wont work... first the only people who think the system is broke are foreigners who know it can work better.. and second if a system works well that leaves no room for the express lane and the donations required to be in such a lane

Jess Bartone

That is a lot of rambling about?

A lot of rambling about an attitude that wants to price poor people out of taxis so the rich can have them as their exclusive domain. Nobody wants to be labelled a "__ist" anything, ageist, sexist, racist, whatever new label the yuppies come up with... hey just thought of a new one... moneyist... but it can be detected in attitudes and casual comments by those who pretend to be otherwise. The world revolves around a polar axis, not individuals with money... although too many of them act as though it does.

I don't see city traffic as a problem for those with the nuts to ride a motorbike, but if city life is so damn tiresome, why cling to it like a life support system? Traffic in Cebu is so much slower than where I live... death is a split second away at 60 mph... 25 mph everything happens in a predictable way... don't fight it, embrace it, learn the language of the horns, it's easy and it's fun.

• Like 1
smokey

That is a lot of rambling about?

A lot of rambling about an attitude that wants to price poor people out of taxis so the rich can have them as their exclusive domain. Nobody wants to be labelled a "__ist" anything, ageist, sexist, racist, whatever new label the yuppies come up with... hey just thought of a new one... moneyist... but it can be detected in attitudes and casual comments by those who pretend to be otherwise. The world revolves around a polar axis, not individuals with money... although too many of them act as though it does.

I don't see city traffic as a problem for those with the nuts to ride a motorbike, but if city life is so damn tiresome, why cling to it like a life support system? Traffic in Cebu is so much slower than where I live... death is a split second away at 60 mph... 25 mph everything happens in a predictable way... don't fight it, embrace it, learn the language of the horns, it's easy and it's fun.

living here is all about choices ... and i think its common to find you need to give up somethings you used to having but the price is good living at a reasonable price.. ..