Try catching a taxi between 4 and 7pm in Cebu City. A lot faster to take a jeepney cos there just aren't any taxis available. I've noticed it's a lot worse than when I came here 3 years ago and it seems to me the best way to solve it would be if they upped the flagfall to at least 50 or 60 pesos. This would reduce the number who could afford to ride and also encourage more taxis on to the road. I never tip and always insist on paying only what the meter says but I would be happy to pay a higher metered rate if it meant being able to catch a taxi in under 30 minutes during peak times.

• Like 1
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• udonthani

• smokey

• poby

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe the reason you have trouble getting one is they remember you and know you don't tip.

MPT, it is the law of line observation...the other line always moves faster. If you move to the other line, the line you were originally in will move faster. The same thing happens in traffic here. Th

Try catching a taxi between 4 and 7pm in Cebu City. A lot faster to take a jeepney cos there just aren't any taxis available. I've noticed it's a lot worse than when I came here 3 years ago and it s

Are you serious about raising the cost of a service, so others who may have less than you, can no longer have access to that service, just so you can? If so, that pretty F'ed Up !

• Like 1

Are you serious about raising the cost of a service, so others who may have less than you, can no longer have access to that service, just so you can? If so, that pretty F'ed Up !

Semi serious, a little tongue in cheek perhaps. But nonetheless if its getting hard to find a taxi then we need more taxis on the road and the best way for that is to increase their compensation.

Maybe it is has changed since I was last there (2007), but everytime I walked down the road every other taxi would slowly drive by honking to get my attention. It drove me crazy after a little while since I just wanted to walk.

tom_shor

Maybe the reason you have trouble getting one is they remember you and know you don't tip. :biggrin_01:

• Like 6
Tom in Texas

... its getting hard to find a taxi then we need more taxis on the road and the best way for that is to increase their compensation.

Uhhh.... Big Pharma Fan... I'd rethink that business model.. lets increase the fares to P10,000 a mile... and then every inch of road surface will be occupied by a taxi??? I'm suspicious there will only be one taxi left... I'll own it and will drive you where ever you want to go. biggrin_01.gifchopper.gif Hop on.

Tom in Texas

tobster

doesn't matter what part of the world it is, there is always those few hours where you cannot seem to find one

LOL

Whenever we are going for a trip downtown there are plenty of taxis around -but every jeepney is full to the max if we need to get to the other side of town and need to take a Taxi well you get it no Cabs but all the Jeepneys are empty

Such is life

The Mason

Maybe the reason you have trouble getting one is they remember you and know you don't tip. :biggrin_01:

Bingo! Foreigners are memorable to taxi drives. Tightwad foreigners even more so.

when I was working in the US, we had some Indian clients come over for business. They were staying in a nearby hotel and called for a taxi each morning. Per Indian custom, they did not tip the drivers. After the third day, no driver would come and pick them up at their hotel.

We advised them on tipping customs and suggested they call a different company for a taxi.

Headshot

LOL

Whenever we are going for a trip downtown there are plenty of taxis around -but every jeepney is full to the max if we need to get to the other side of town and need to take a Taxi well you get it no Cabs but all the Jeepneys are empty

Such is life

MPT, it is the law of line observation...the other line always moves faster. If you move to the other line, the line you were originally in will move faster. The same thing happens in traffic here. There are bottlenecks everywhere and a lot of impatient drivers trying to get through fastest by constantly changing lanes. Whatever you are looking for will be unavailable.

Poby, there are plenty of taxis here and plenty of jeepneys and plenty of buses, and plenty of hubal-hubals. The fact that they all seem to be full during rush hour is no reason to increase their numbers even more. There is probably as much available public transport here per capita as you will find in any comparably sized city in the world. Of course, if you are tired of waiting...and with your money...you could always buy a car and hire your own driver to be at your beck and call whenever you need a ride.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3
smokey

Semi serious, a little tongue in cheek perhaps. But nonetheless if its getting hard to find a taxi then we need more taxis on the road and the best way for that is to increase their compensation.

well then you did not read about cebu finding so many units that are not legal.. they claim there are only suppose to be 4,500 taxi when in fact there are over 6000 units..seems some are using the same paperwork on many units ...... if you buy a car then you will be here saying i wish they would get rid of 2000 taxi and 2000 jeepney on the road

Edited by robert51

Poby, it also depends on the location at that time. It is next to impossible to catch a cab from anywhere near your bar, Our Place, at that time. The best thing to do is to either drive there and park nearby or just take a ten minute or so walk to Robinsons on Fuente Osmena and catch a cab there. There are always a lot of them there even at that time. You are right, though, about it being frustrating as hell to just wait and wait and wait for a cab if you are downtown between 4 pm and 7 pm. Good luck to you on your future cab-related endeavors in that location, sir. :biggrin_01::why-me:

Headshot

Well, then you did not read about Cebu finding so many units that are not legal...they claim there are only supposed to be 4,500 taxi...when in fact there are over 6000 units. It seems some are using the same paperwork on many units. If you buy a car, then you will be here saying, "I wish they would get rid of 2000 taxis and 2000 jeepneys on the road."

That is right! Take the slow tricycles and tricycids, taxis and hubal-hubals that weave in and out of traffic with little regard for others, and jeepneys and buses that stop anywhere they want, in any lane, to pick up and let off passengers...and you can explain most traffic problems in Cebu City. Add to that the fact that most of the drivers of these vehicles believe they always have the right-of-way, whether they signal or not, and whether they look or not...and you have the recipes for a traffic disaster...which is what we have here. I hate driving here; but I hate riding with these guys worse.

Coupled with this are poor city planning (narrow city streets that serve way too many people) and selective traffic enforcement (the police only enforce laws where they think they can make money). On the narrowest streets in the city, you will still find tricycids and hubal-hubals lined up along the street (blocking at least half of the traffic lane) forcing moving vehicles to squeeze past them at walking speed (since there are always pedestrians walking on the street too). The police will not try to move these vehicles that are blocking traffic, but will instead go to the widest streets to set up roadblocks where they can nab motorcycle drivers who aren't wearing helmets...because they know they will be able to make some extra cash from that.

In locations where jeepneys are stopping on inside lanes to load and unload passengers, or making u-turns in heavy traffic, the police (or barangay volunteers) will actually step in and help them by stopping other traffic. WTF??? Or my personal favorite...I love the security guards who step out on the street to block traffic...so a vehicle can enter the roadway from a subdivision or business without having to wait for traffic...even though they have just created a traffic jam on the roadway that will last for several minutes...like that driver's time is worth more than mine.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1