I direct filed for spousal visa at Manila

Thanks for the info Mason.

BTW ... I had nothing to do with my wife taking the meds. That was something between the pulminary doctor she visited and herself. I do know that she never had a sputum test done.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnFromTexas

• Headshot

• Turbota

• shadow

shadow

You have up to 1 year to respond to packet 3. If you don't send it back within a year, you get a cancellation notice, and if still no action, your petition is automatically cancelled. If this happens, you can either apply for reinstatement or start over from the beginning with the I-130.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3222.html

Thanks for taking the time to look that up.

LinD

• 3 weeks later...
JohnFromTexas

As of today we have the interview for Maricel set up on January 4th. Total time between applying and the interview date just 2 1/2 months. We go to Manila for the medical appointment at St. Lukes next week -- I'm crossing my fingers that she won't have to do the sputum test which will throw everything off as far as our plans.

If you are planning to direct file for a visa, do it soon. They are talking about doing away with the direct filing process. They are also starting to take applications online. i scheduled the interview appointment online today. Their website sucks but I made it happen.

They are also starting to take applications online. I scheduled the interview appointment online today. Their website sucks but I made it happen.

So, instead of mailing the form 2001 to the embassy which tells them you are ready for the interview, you just did it on-line and they emailed you an interview date?

What I don't understand is that there are a couple of other forms that have to be sent to them along with the form 2001 when you indicate your ready for the interview. Didn't you still have to mail that up to the embassy anyway? .... If so, I can't see how you saved any time doing anything online.

Maybe I'm confused here ...

Ron,

JohnFromTexas

I already sent in my package 3 with the DS-230. I also sent them the interview request form. I've been calling the embassy every couple of days waiting for these forms to be processed. Only after the forms from package 3 were processed did they give me permission to schedule the interview. I could have actually scheduled the interview as early as December 17th, which would have been almost exactly 2 months from my initial application date.

They just changed the interview scheduling system effective December 1st. The embassy itself no longer sets the date. They now have a service you have to call or go to online to schedule the interview. I wasn't trying to save any time doing it online it's what the embassy told me to do to get the interview date when I called.

John ... Ok

I had no idea how anyone really got there interview date ... I thought that after the embassy recieved that packet 3 back from you they either sent you the date of your interview via a letter to your house, or maybe a phone call.

You know what .... I recieved the packet 3 a long time ago, but there are questions I want to ask them before mailing the completed packet 3 back to them.

I have tried to call them on the phone just about every day for the last 3 months. I have NEVER been able to talk to anyone at the embassy. No matter which phone number I call, all I get is that recording that says "All circuits are busy, please call back at a later time".

It is unfecking believable that it is impossible to contact anyone via the phone up there. I even tried to contact them via the contact form you fill out on the internet .... Don't work!

Really frustrating to say the least!

JohnFromTexas

They are hard to get ahold of them but with some help on another site I figured out the trick. This is what I do. I am usually able to get ahold of them on any given day but sometimes I do have to try 2 or 3 times before I'll get an answer.

Call 02-301-2000 for the embassy. At the first prompt press 0 for an operator. Ask to be transferred to the Immigrant Visa Unit (the have an extension but last few times I tried those they did not work). They will put you right through to their line. About 2/3 of the time you will get the recording. You can press 0 to have it retry and it will keep trying to go through over and over again. Sometimes you will get someone, sometimes you won't. If it takes over 2 or 3 minutes worth of retrying, I hang up and call back in 15-30 minutes. Every once in a while it will go right through to someone right away. It works :lee_popcorn: Now whether you can get the answers you need once you get ahold of someone is another question.

If you mail in forms, always keep your tracking # handy as they can look up the paperwork by the tracking #. When i first called they said they hadn't received it. Once I gave'm the # and they looked it up they were able to figure out that it had been received but just not entered into the computers yet. It seems to take about 10-14 days from the time they receive paperwork until it is in the system.

Feel free to post your questions here like I said I already sent my packet 3 in and apparently it was good enough for them to accept it and let me set an interview date.

Used to be they would mail you an interview date i believe they still might I don't know. Like I said they just changed the system starting the beginning of this month. But if you are trying to get this done as fast as possible like me, don't wait for the embassy to take their sweet time. I have been surprised at how fast the process has gone I expected it to take 6 months to a year or more based on the horror stories I have heard but apparently a lot of it is having stuff the way they want it and being on top of the what is going on. If you wait around for the embassy to get back to you by mail and take your time responding thing will take forever.

I found out most of the info I have needed including how to get ahold of the embassy at visajourney.com. It's the same forum software as here and a lot of people who've been through almost every situation/type of visa and a pretty active philippines area.

Edited by Headshot
Wrong area code on phone number

Call 3-301-2000 for the embassy.

John ... Are you sure that's the phone number for the embassy?

The prefex for Manila is 02

I thought the number was 02-301-2000

JohnFromTexas

Sorry typo :thumbs_up: I don't dial the 0 when I dial it but I don't use a normal phone :thumbs_up:

Headshot

Sorry typo :thumbs_up: I don't dial the 0 when I dial it but I don't use a normal phone :thumbs_up:

So... the phone number people with normal phones would call is 02-301-2000?

So... the phone number people with normal phones would call is 02-301-2000?

Yup ... But, good luck getting someone to ever answer the phone.

I tried all there numbers and just get the "All Circuits Are Busy" message ... No matter how many times I call, and no matter what time of the day I try calling (been going on for months)

Ron,

EDIT: Here is the link with the embassy phone number and all the extensions: http://manila.usembassy.gov/contact.html

Edited by Turbota
JohnFromTexas

That's correct. I've never gotten all circuits busy calling. May be an issue with the local telephone company in your area. I've used both skype and a PLDT calling card.

• 1 month later...
JohnFromTexas

Just checking in to report that as of Wednesday, Maricel was approved for her visa. Less than 3 months, no major problems. Realistically if we hadn't had some extra paperwork we had to send in and been a bit more on it, she probably could have gotten the visa in 2 months or just over. Everything went smooth at the interview other than having to pay a large fee I hadn't expected. Now she just has to go to her cfo seminar and that's it. Anyone have experience with the cfo seminar in cebu?

Headshot

That's correct. I've never gotten all circuits busy calling. May be an issue with the local telephone company in your area. I've used both skype and a PLDT calling card.

John, you must be a lucky man. I have been trying that number for a few weeks, and haven't gotten through. I get into their computer, but then when I hit "0" for the operator, all I get is a busy signal. I'm using my PLDT phone to call. I'm afraid I'm going to have to go back to Manila and talk with them. I sent the required stuff back in November (after I finally received the packet telling us the DCF application had been approved) and haven't received anything back from them. I started the process back in September.

Is there a "best" time-of-day to call the embassy to get through?

Edited by Headshot

If you have never "Lost it" or went POSTAL in your life, this process may bring you to the brink!! Difficult but can be done, try to treat it like a game!!

After ton's of prep for the dreaded interview in MNL we went in the office, the young man was from my home town we sat there and chatted about home for ten minutes. He then asked my wife if she was Josephine and her birthday was ?? and that was it!!

In the US filing for her green card, I got everything together and had a friend who is a bureaucrat go over all of it with me, I spent a lot of time on this, made sure every T was crossed and every i was dotted. After about a month I recieved a notice for more info, they stated my application was incomplete. Three of us know the papers they were requesting were in the envelope I sent in!! So what you must do, everything you need to send in or take do in triplicate!!!!!!!! If they loose the whole package, which happens, it is just a matter of taking another one out and sending it in.

As mentioned My link is an invaluable asset. HTH Whiner 0311

Did not show up MY link = www.visajourney.com

Edited by whiner