I direct filed for spousal visa at Manila

shadow
Now we gotta go to NSO and get a new copy of her original birth certificate as the DFA never gave her back her original we gave them for our passport (or our original wedding certificate for that matter). Now after this we have no NSO copies of our wedding certificate either. I wonder if this is a scam by the gov't where they take your originals so you have to keep ordering more copies from them.

Exactly. Order at least 3 of each now. I don't know how it is they can take originals like that. Surely would never happen in the US. But this ain't the US. Someday maybe the PI will figure out they don't need all these pieces of paper and move into the computer age but for now, it's a paper, multiple staple, white out, paperclip, folder, manual typewriter world.

This is the US Embassy, it IS the US, not the RP.

Larry in Dumaguete

No, it's not!

Read the thread and you'll see it was the DFA that kept the NSO copies. The Embassy wants to see the NSO copies not photocopies which is all the OP has now. I am reasonably sure if the Embassy keeps the NSO copies they will eventually be returned unlike the DFA which keeps them even though they have no reason too once the passport has been issued.

I think you would be wrong on this one, Skyman. The US Embassy has always wanted photocopies only for the birth and marriage certificates, but now they want originals (certified copies)...and they KEEP them. I went through the same thing with the embassy, except that Larry (Shadow) is helping us through the process and so I had everything I needed with me when I went up to the embassy. Larry and Ronnie went through everything with us, and there were very few things they missed. I actually had a lot of extra documents with me (just in case), and it was a good thing, because the original documents thing is a new requirement. I had the original birth and marriage certificates with me, so there was no problem. When I was done at the window, the Consular Officer actually thanked me for making his job so easy, since I had everything he needed. He said very few filings go so smoothly.

In the past we have always instructed our clients to take two folders for filing DCF, one with photocopies to submit, and one with originals to show if they asked. Originals have always been needed for interview, but just recently they are now asking everyone for originals at the time of filing. As recently as June 30 photocopies have been accepted at filing time.

Requirements and procedures change on a regular basis, and may change back again at any given time. These changes are seldom announced and makes it hard to predict what will be the next requirement. So far, none of our clients have had to make an extra trip to the Embassy, and all petitions have been accepted, but every time there has been something new in the mix.

Larry in Dumaguete

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnFromTexas

• Headshot

• Turbota

• shadow

Headshot

He's right, they usually don't go smoothly. Because the embassy does not make it clear what they want until you get to the window, and they do not make it easy to get ahold of them by phone. :bashtroll:

Saying that that the US Embassy doesn't make it "easy" to contact them by phone is an understatement. It is NOT POSSIBLE to actually talk to somebody at the US Embassy who actually knows anything about visas. The phone number they give out will...if you are lucky enough to get through...leads you to a customer service representative (a Filipina), who has no idea how to help you with visas. She is reading from a script that was outdated before it was even printed. Because of that, she just tells you to repeat the same things that have already been unsuccessful for you. How insane is that?

The US Embassy knows exactly what they are doing. If the people in the visa sections make themselves accessible to US citizens, then they might have to actually answer questions and be accountable for their answers...and they won't be able to change overnight without warning or allow every consular officer to make up their own rules. Allowing you to talk with them directly forces them to actually play by a given set of rules that is applicable to all. That is certainly NOT going to happen.

Edited by Headshot
JohnFromTexas

My favorite is the runaround they give you where you call the embassy and they say you need to talk to USCIS phone center.. then you call USCIS phone center and they say since it's dirct file, you have to talk to the embassy, then you call back the embassy and tell them that and they say... etc etc

I filed a DCF awhile ago ... here is what I had to give them:

1. I-130 application

2. G-325A application (myself) with 2 passport photos (2

JohnFromTexas

More proof that the rules are different for everyone!

Headshot

Here is some good stuff for those who are in, or contemplating this process. I filed a DCF at the US Embassy in Manila on 22 September. The application was approved by them on 30 September (marked on the forms). Today (15 November)...I received two packets in the mail. By "mail" I mean through PhilPost. Yes, I DID pay for courier service, but somehow...somebody didn't get the memo. So...now I will go to the RAO and send off the forms they sent to schedule the interview. They have wasted over a month and a half. I will send a large SASE with the application forms, using my FPO address, so at least maybe they will send the appointment letter back through the US mail. Otherwise...if they send it through PhilPost...it may not get here until after the appointment date has already passed. This is just another example of the US Embassy finding new ways to "help" US citizens and their loved ones.

Note: I just read the postmarks on the envelopes. Seems it wasn't ALL PhilPost's fault for the slow delivery. The envelopes were postmarked in Manila on 30 October, so it appears they must have floated around in the US Embassy for a month before they were even delivered to PhilPost. They were stamped as received at the Talisay Post Office on 2 November, and it took them until today to deliver them. So, it took 3 days to go from Manila to Talisay City, and then it took 13 days to be delivered here. At least part of PhilPost is working properly.

Edited by Headshot
JohnFromTexas

Weird I got my last packet by fedex!

shadow

Weird I got my last packet by fedex!

Our most previous client received NOA2 and packet 3 by DHL, and the visa by Air21.

Larry in Dumaguete

Our most previous client received NOA2 and packet 3 by DHL, and the visa by Air21.

Larry in Dumaguete

I got my wife's packet 3 in the mail about 7 months ago.

Just haven't sent it in yet to them indicating when she's ready for her interview.

Any idea as to how long you can wait before the embassy thinks your not serious about it anymore and dumps all your previously submitted paperwork? (I tried to call them, but they don't answer there phone ... lines are always too busy no matter how many times I try to call.

I would hate to wait too long and then have to spend another $355 to start the whole process over again.

Headshot

Yeah...ain't it fun? They have YOU pay for the courier service...and then they don't send it by courier. It must be another cost-cutting measure...only they already collected the money. It makes you wonder where the money went.

Headshot

Larry in Dumaguete

Just haven't sent it in yet to them indicating when she's ready for her interview.

Any idea as to how long you can wait before the embassy thinks your not serious about it anymore and dumps all your previously submitted paperwork? (I tried to call them, but they don't answer there phone ... lines are always too busy no matter how many times I try to call.

I would hate to wait too long and then have to spend another $355 to start the whole process over again.

Ron, the time limit is probably six months (if you have waited for seven months to submit). Why in the world would you wait so long? The phone numbers at the US Embassy are a waste of time. Even if you do get through, you will be in a computer, and then...if you make all the right selections during the screening process...you will be transferred to a customer service representative (at a call center that isn't in the embassy) who doesn't actually know much about the embassy or its workings (she just reads from a script...and if you get off the script, you are done). When it gets to the point where she can't answer your questions (which doesn't take too long) she will give you a phone number to call for help. That phone number doesn't get answered. If you make one wrong selection in the computer screening process, you will be shunted off to a recorded message, and your whole process has to be started again.

Why in the world would you wait so long?

Well, after I got packet 3 in the mail, my wife went to her doctor and got a chest xray. The doctor saw a spot on her lungs and my wife got nervous since she heard of how picky St Lukes is about chest Xrays.

Well, the doctor put her on 6 months of TB pills just to make sure she passes the sputum test at St Lukes (since St Lukes may also see that spot on her lungs).

She won't be finished with the pills until sometime in December.

Actually the date we recieved the packet 3 was 0n 23 July .... her actual "Priority Date" is 2 June.

Like I said, I tried calling the embassy maybe 200 times in the last 4 months, but have never been able to ever get through ... just gave up. The embassy has never contacted me as to why they have not recieved that form DS-2001 from us indicating that my wife is ready for the interview.

Edited by Turbota
shadow

Larry in Dumaguete

I don't know what they consider to be the actual time limit, but I always assumed it was 6 months. With other types of visas, it is 4 months. I know there has been some leeway in enforcement, but you must be able to prove you are actively pursuing the visa. Possibly your explanation may suffice in this case. Please keep us posted on your case status. For the record, the filing fee will no longer be $355, it will be $420 as of Nov 23.

Larry in Dumaguete

JohnFromTexas

May be irrelevant... since there's a year time limit from start to finish on the paperwork I believe. That is crazy that your doctor put her on TB meds based on an x-ray with no other confirmation. Should've done a TB culture test which is what st. lukes would have done. You may have just made her take 6 months of medicine for no reason. Bear in mind everything you've done may have been for nothing. When you go to st. lukes, if the spot is still there on the x-ray, it won't matter that she just took 6 months of tb meds. They will still make her do the sputum test for a TB culture no matter what proof you show her of medication or previous testing.

The Mason

You have up to 1 year to respond to packet 3. If you don't send it back within a year, you get a cancellation notice, and if still no action, your petition is automatically cancelled. If this happens, you can either apply for reinstatement or start over from the beginning with the I-130.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3222.html