smokey

well i think i should be granted land buying rights as my grandfathers brother died here in manila during WW2 how come our family was not giving any benefits , i should be able to get a discount when i am 60 just like everyone else so as i see it all countries rip off the little guy...

Your Grandfathers Brother died in Manila under a US flag fighting for the US.

You are right the US should have given your Grandfathers Brother's family benefits for fighting for and in a US territory at the time.

So you think the US should of annexed the Philippines just so you can get a senior citizen discount and buy land ?

So if an american is here and fights to defend the philippines and dies its oh well shit happens , we dont owe him squat ,, but if a Filappano helps the americans and dies different story?? So your saying the US started the war ? Or maybe your suggesting if the US was not there then japan would NOT have invaded the Philippines??

Edited by robert51
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpt1947

• smokey

• Balay

• Mailman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, we were taught about the Philippine Indepedence Act (Tydings-McDuffie Act) that went into effect in 1935 initiated by one Manuel Quezon. It was the establishment of a transitional government (10-

no different then the french freedom fighters when the part of the war was done in the PHilippines the \freedom fighters went back to \their homes and the rest of the army went on to fight on another

Do you understand that the Philippines Islands at that time was an American Territory and Filipinos where Americans at the time ?   This is not only Philippine history, it is American History. Was'

smokey

You are right the US should have given your Grandfathers Brother's family benefits for fighting for and in a US territory at the time.

So you think the US should of annexed the Philippines just so you can get a senior citizen discount and buy land ?

sure why not , and on your side your saying if a Filappano who is not in the military dies helping the americans fight japan in their own country they should get bennies so why should the philippines not give bennies to my family /// Stop being so stupid , if your saying the philippines dont owe him squat because he was AN american then the same would go for the Filappanos here the Philippines army should pay them for their service to their country , Have you ever been in the military? I would find that hard to believe your under the misquided fantasy that americans like getting killed defending other countries its like a good thing.//// i think were we dont see eye to eye is you think my grandfathers brother died fighting for the US because they paid him... , i think he died fighting against japan to help free the Philippines >>> only a guy who has never been in the military would think for a second a guy fights to the death because he is paid to ... In viet nam i earned 117 dollars a month base pay 50 dollars a month combat pay and another 25 or so dollars for flight pay as a gunner... and if i would have died there it would not have been for the money i was paid..

Edited by robert51
  • Like 1

First of all once any of us hit the magic age of 65 we will get the senior citizen discount of 20% and be able to check out of the senior citizen line in the grocery stores - just be patient.

Unlike China, Burma, and other countries who were allies of the United States during WWII - the Philippine Islands were commonwealth of the USA - the men who served in the Philippine Scouts, where under the jurisdiction of the United States Army.

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/202754/filipino-vets-to-file-class-action-suit-vs-us

"During WW II, the Philippines was a colony of the US and Filipinos were considered US nationals.

On July 26, 1941, 250,000 Filipinos were conscripted to be part of the US Armed Forces in the Far East (USAFFE) that owe allegiance to the US President and Commander-in-Chief Franklin Roosevelt.

The Filipinos were promised equal treatment as any American veterans after the war.

In 1946, through the Rescission Act, the US Congress took away the benefits and recognition of the Filipino World War II veterans and families out of the 66 nationalities who fought under the US Flag.

In the GI Bill of 2008, many veterans received expanded benefits. The US Congress, for the second time denied full recognition and full benefits to Filipino veterans."

What the VA and Congress came up with was to pay Filipino Veterans a lump sum payment of $15,000 if they were US Citizens, and $9,000 if they were not - and of course the Filipinos had to prove they had served during WWII. As many of you know there was a fire in Missouri that destroyed many military records, including those of Filipinos that had served during WWII.

What the suit is suggesting, is that first the US Gov't didn't have the right to take away the Vets Benefits in 1946, and that the Lump Sum Payments was also unconstitutional - that these Vets should get what other Veterans of WWII got.

If you have a relative who lost their life during the WWII in the Philippines - you should join in this law suit against the US Federal Gov't since the independent country of the Republic of the Philippines did not exist at the time of their death.

Hopefully this clears it up for those who are wondering

Mike

smokey

First of all once any of us hit the magic age of 65 we will get the senior citizen discount of 20% and be able to check out of the senior citizen line in the grocery stores - just be patient.

Unlike China, Burma, and other countries who were allies of the United States during WWII - the Philippine Islands were commonwealth of the USA - the men who served in the Philippine Scouts, where under the jurisdiction of the United States Army.

http://www.gmanews.t...tion-suit-vs-us

"During WW II, the Philippines was a colony of the US and Filipinos were considered US nationals. On July 26, 1941, 250,000 Filipinos were conscripted to be part of the US Armed Forces in the Far East (USAFFE) that owe allegiance to the US President and Commander-in-Chief Franklin Roosevelt. The Filipinos were promised equal treatment as any American veterans after the war. In 1946, through the Rescission Act, the US Congress took away the benefits and recognition of the Filipino World War II veterans and families out of the 66 nationalities who fought under the US Flag. In the GI Bill of 2008, many veterans received expanded benefits. The US Congress, for the second time denied full recognition and full benefits to Filipino veterans."

What the VA and Congress came up with was to pay Filipino Veterans a lump sum payment of $15,000 if they were US Citizens, and $9,000 if they were not - and of course the Filipinos had to prove they had served during WWII. As many of you know there was a fire in Missouri that destroyed many military records, including those of Filipinos that had served during WWII.

What the suit is suggesting, is that first the US Gov't didn't have the right to take away the Vets Benefits in 1946, and that the Lump Sum Payments was also unconstitutional - that these Vets should get what other Veterans of WWII got.

If you have a relative who lost their life during the WWII in the Philippines - you should join in this law suit against the US Federal Gov't since the independent country of the Republic of the Philippines did not exist at the time of their death.

Hopefully this clears it up for those who are wondering

Mike

what i am saying i am not against the scouts getting what is due to them , but everyone wants to say them dam americans always forgetting people , well it works both ways how hard would it of been for the philippines to extend some notice for the americans that died here helping them ...Why isnt anyone filing a suit against japan they started the mess?

Edited by robert51

Thanks Robert. The simple answer is that the US is the easiest target. To the suit, I say give what was promised after the war. And I also say to the military guys like James and Mailman who served I hope the US does not give you guys the shaft for the service that you did and you get whats owed to you. My :P

sandwindstars

sure why not , and on your side your saying if a Filappano who is not in the military dies helping the americans fight japan in their own country they should get bennies so why should the philippines not give bennies to my family /// Stop being so stupid , if your saying the philippines dont owe him squat because he was AN american then the same would go for the Filappanos here the Philippines army should pay them for their service to their country , Have you ever been in the military? I would find that hard to believe your under the misquided fantasy that americans like getting killed defending other countries its like a good thing.//// i think were we dont see eye to eye is you think my grandfathers brother died fighting for the US because they paid him... , i think he died fighting against japan to help free the Philippines >>> only a guy who has never been in the military would think for a second a guy fights to the death because he is paid to ... In viet nam i earned 117 dollars a month base pay 50 dollars a month combat pay and another 25 or so dollars for flight pay as a gunner... and if i would have died there it would not have been for the money i was paid..

I think you need to brush up on history. The Philippines was a US territory until 1946 like Hawaii, Alaska and was a commonwealth like Puerto Rico today. The Phil army whatever there was was rolled into the USAFE. My Dad (Filipino in the Philippines) was USAFE, but he somehow got all his dues including education benefits right after the war etc. These Filipino vets are getting theirs only after 2009. In any case, I feel bad for the US vets who have not been looked after by the US govt. You guys need more than just a medal, but also the lifelong gratitude of the bureaucracy and politicians.

Thanks Robert. The simple answer is that the US is the easiest target. To the suit, I say give what was promised after the war. And I also say to the military guys like James and Mailman who served I hope the US does not give you guys the shaft for the service that you did and you get whats owed to you. My :P

Robert,

What is that you want the Philippine people or their gov't to do?

You have to remember that in 1941 there was no Republic of the Philippines - like Puerto Rico today, the Philippines was a territory - but where do you think the term "Hey Joe" came from? WWII - "GI Joe" So when you hear a Filipino yell out "Hey Joe" that is a hand me down from parents and grandparents - it is in most cases respectful greeting offered to anyone who isn't Filipino -

I am not sure what you are looking for as far as a Thank You - I know that when I talk with older Filipinos I get that look from them of respect that I don't see in Americans when I tell them I am a Vietnam Vet -

You know my soon to be 77 yr old Father-in-Law is going to wear a white suit to my marriage to his daughter, out of respect for me - there isn't enough land in the Philippines that would be a greater gift than that.

Mike

sure why not , and on your side your saying if a Filappano who is not in the military dies helping the americans fight japan in their own country they should get bennies so why should the philippines not give bennies to my family /// Stop being so stupid , if your saying the philippines dont owe him squat because he was AN american then the same would go for the Filappanos here the Philippines army should pay them for their service to their country ,

I never said a Filappano who is not in the military dies helping the americans fight japan in their own country they should get bennies. ( What is a Filappano anyway ? ? ? I don't get the joke or portmanteau you are trying to make )

I am not sure of your education or knowledge on WWII history but maybe like others said you can brush up on it so your don't seem so stupid posting in this thread.

Filipinos who served in the Military during WWII were considered American Commonwealth Nationals. So they where fighting as an American along side other Americans against the Japanese.

If you Grandfathers Brother fought in WWII, he was fighting in the Philippines for America at the time, not for the Philippines.

Americans where in the Philippines to defend it's American territory and fight the Japanese tyrannical occupation. It was not a direct comparison of the Americans fighting in France, with French resistance forces fighting under the American flag against Germany. Do you think France owes American WWII veterans benefits ? France was not an American colony and the French soldiers where not Americans by Annexation.

Edited by Balay

I suspect the average citizen of the PI would enjoy better living conditions if it were a territory of the USA, but it wouldn't be a nice cheap place to retire then.

well i think i should be granted land buying rights as my grandfathers brother died here in manila during WW2 how come our family was not giving any benefits , i should be able to get a discount when i am 60 just like everyone else so as i see it all countries rip off the little guy...

LOL -

A couple of weeks ago while riding a Jeepney I was given the Senior Citizen discount and last week I saw a white guy check out at the Senior Citizens lane at Metro Grocery Store - we all get the discounts - just have to wait for them

Mike

smokey

[

Filipinos who served in the Military during WWII were considered American Citizens. So they where fighting as an American along side other Americans against the Japanese.

So if these fighters were considered AMERICAN citizens as you say .. then why when the troops left the Philippines to go to the next island to fight did these AMERICAN CITIZEN fighters not have to go also... because they were FREEDOM fighters and they were fighting for the Philippines not the US ... They deserve what is due but on a moral ground the Philippines should have held the other amercians not born here who died here the same gratitdue they now demand,, let ssee i will take duel citz. that would be a good start

Edited by robert51
smokey

I will not reply to any more of this and i just wanted to say.......... I don't dismiss the fact that a promise is a promise and should be giving as stated, what disappoints me i guess about the Philippines is the fact, When someone says if you don't like it get out its OUR country you don't belong here, to me that is an insult to our family sure i was not born here but our family gave just as much and in most cases more then someone just born here.

Edited by robert51
  • Like 1

So if these fighters were considered AMERICAN citizens as you say .. then why when the troops left the Philippines to go to the next island to fight did these AMERICAN CITIZEN fighters not have to go also... because they were FREEDOM fighters and they were fighting for the Philippines not the US ... They deserve what is due but on a moral ground the Philippines should have held the other amercians not born here who died here the same gratitdue they now demand,, let ssee i will take duel citz. that would be a good start

I am not the only one who says these fighters where American's. It is party of history. It is a well known fact that based on the Treaty of Paris.

U.S. President McKinley justified the annexation of the Philippines by saying that it was "... a gift from the gods" and that since "they were unfit for self-government, ... there was nothing left for the US to do but to take them all, and to educate the Filipinos, and uplift and civilize and Christianize them", in spite of the Philippines having been already Christianized by the Spanish over the course of several centuries.

Why the troops did'nt travel to other islands I don't know. Maybe someone else can answer that. Maybe it was a tactical decision by the egomaniac General MacArthur.

Do you understand the Philippine Islands was an American Territory at the time and the Filipino people where considered Americans ?

Do you understand the Philippine Islands was an American Territory at the time and the Filipino people where considered Americans ?

And then they got their sovereignty. All strings cut.

Enjoy!