Seven Filipino World War II veterans on Saturday (Manila time) filed a class suit against the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) and demanded for full benefits similar to their American counterparts. Veterans from Los Angeles, San Jose and San Francisco in California and from Washington D.C. as well filed a class action for court injunction and declaratory relief before the U.S. District Court of Northern California on behalf of 17,000 applicants who were earlier denied of their lump-sum benefits. In the class suit, the veterans questioned the $787-billion American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) signed in 2009 by US President Barack Obama, which allotted lower financial benefits to veterans who are non-U.S. citizens. The complainants argued that giving Filipino war veterans benefits less than what other U.S. military veterans receive

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpt1947

• smokey

• Balay

• Mailman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, we were taught about the Philippine Indepedence Act (Tydings-McDuffie Act) that went into effect in 1935 initiated by one Manuel Quezon. It was the establishment of a transitional government (10-

no different then the french freedom fighters when the part of the war was done in the PHilippines the \freedom fighters went back to \their homes and the rest of the army went on to fight on another

Do you understand that the Philippines Islands at that time was an American Territory and Filipinos where Americans at the time ?   This is not only Philippine history, it is American History. Was'

smokey

no surprise the US vets in viet nam often get the ... can you prove you were there ?

Thats a crying shame. Really.

no surprise the US vets in viet nam often get the ... can you prove you were there ?

• Like 1

The vast majority of Viet Nam Vets can prove they were in country - it is part of our DD214 -

I have a friend who was in the Navy - on a Minesweeper and they did some covert ops near the DMZ - hush hush and stuff

It is not on his DD214 Now at the age of 63 he has some PTSD and DIabetes - no help

Luckily I happened to run into him at the PX on the Air Force side of the DaDang Air Base - I wrote to his County Vets Officer to that effect

Hopefully that will do it.

I did see a lot of guys in Country - I bet a lot of us did....

Semper Fi

Cary,,

There was a typo in your article - it said non US Residents will get $9,000 and US Residents will get $9000 - US Residents will get $15,000

Mike

• Like 1

This is what's very confusing to me. These Filipinos think they should get a lump sume check from the US government for fighting for there own country in WWII. Sure they were fighting right along side of the Americans, but they were fighting for the very survival of there country from the Japanese occupiers.

My dad also fought in the South Pacific during WWII, but he never got a lump sum check for it.

In fact, I don't ever remember getting a lump sum check from the US government or the government of Kuwait for that matter after I was activated and served in Desert Storm.

So, someone tell me why these Filipino war veterans feel Uncle Sam owes them any money?

Maybe the US government told them at some point in time they were going to give these guys some money ... and now these Filipinos think they were lied to. Well, if that happened, that's wrong on the US governments part.

But, the bottom line is that the US government should never have offered any money to them in the first place. Big mistake!

• Like 2

This is what's very confusing to me. These Filipinos think they should get a lump sume check from the US government for fighting for there own country in WWII. Sure they were fighting right along side of the Americans, but they were fighting for the very survival of there country from the Japanese occupiers.

My dad also fought in the South Pacific during WWII, but he never got a lump sum check for it.

In fact, I don't ever remember getting a lump sum check from the US government or the government of Kuwait for that matter after I was activated and served in Desert Storm.

So, someone tell me why these Filipino war veterans feel Uncle Sam owes them any money?

Maybe the US government told them at some point in time they were going to give these guys some money ... and now these Filipinos think they were lied to. Well, if that happened, that's wrong on the US governments part.

But, the bottom line is that the US government should never have offered any money to them in the first place. Big mistake!

Your Dad got access to the GI Bill, home loans, VA Hospital - regardless of wounds or not, college education,

If you served in the armed forces you too have your GI Benefits -

You may also want to check with whatever state you are from - when I returned from Vietnam the State of Minnesota gave me a check for $300 - the Iraq/Afghanstan Vets got bigger checks

What the Filipinos were promised was money - in lieu of other benefits that your father received -

The US didn't follow through - like WWII American Vets, many are getting to that age and they are dying, so their families are also asking for consideration -

Whether the US Gov't should have offered or not is for another discussion -

Mike

You may also want to check with whatever state you are from - when I returned from Vietnam the State of Minnesota gave me a check for $300 - the Iraq/Afghanstan Vets got bigger checks

Mike

I was in Vietnam, but the state of Arizona never offered any money.

As far as Desert Storm, I was activated in the state of Illinois. They said they would give each of us $300, but never gave any of the members in my unit any money after our return from Kuwait (filled out the paperwork too)

Edited by Turbota
smokey

Mike

I was in Vietnam, but the state of Arizona never offered any money.

As far as Desert Storm, I was activated in the state of Illinois. They said they would give each of us $300, but never gave any of the members in my unit any money after our return from Kuwait (filled out the paperwork too)

i have to agree i watched the national geographic and they said the day after pearl harbor the japnese invaded china , philippines thailand and the US did not get into the war for a while so if you use the same reasoning the US will also owe the china , thailand etc if anyone should pay it should be japan ,,, you watch next china will say hey we helped fight the japnese also where is our check

Remember the Philippines didn't gain full independence from the United States until after the war. Possibly the PI vets were also attached to the US bases?

Andrew

smokey

Remember the Philippines didn't gain full independence from the United States until after the war. Possibly the PI vets were also attached to the US bases?

Andrew

every country during ww2 had groups that harrased the military that was sitting in their country... france , poland, italy , russia ,, If someone came to your country raped and killed your family would you need to be paid to kick some ass back? when japan started this shit they attacked all of asia at the same time so as the US fought back country after country each one had their own troops weather they were paid or just people tired of seeing their family slaughtered fought back..My wife told me her Grandfathers brother was killed by the Japnese by dragging him behind a truck and it peeled his skin while many were told to watch, what happened is a japnese raped his sister so he killed 3 of them the point is because he killed japnese was he doing it on his own or because he was promised to be paid? Where will it stop i feel sorry for the american tax payers they not the congress pays for all of these request... Uncle sugar is out of money time for all the children to get their own jobs..

• Like 1

What are you talking about ?

The Philippines was a commonwealth of the United States before and during the war, Filipinos were legally American nationals. With American nationality, Filipinos were promised all the benefits afforded to those serving in the armed forces of the United States.

In 1946, Congress passed the Rescission Act (38 U.S.C.

• Like 2
Jim Sibbick

What are you talking about ?

The Philippines was a commonwealth of the United States before and during the war, Filipinos were legally American nationals. With American nationality, Filipinos were promised all the benefits afforded to those serving in the armed forces of the United States.

In 1946, Congress passed the Rescission Act (38 U.S.C.

• Like 1
smokey

well i think i should be granted land buying rights as my grandfathers brother died here in manila during WW2 how come our family was not giving any benefits , i should be able to get a discount when i am 60 just like everyone else so as i see it all countries rip off the little guy...

well i think i should be granted land buying rights as my grandfathers brother died here in manila during WW2 how come our family was not giving any benefits , i should be able to get a discount when i am 60 just like everyone else so as i see it all countries rip off the little guy...

Your Grandfathers Brother died in Manila under a US flag fighting for the US.

You are right the US should have given your Grandfathers Brother's family benefits for fighting for and in a US territory at the time.

So you think the US should of annexed the Philippines just so you can get a senior citizen discount and buy land ?

• Like 1

I remember when I was little. My step-father took my younger brother and I to McDonald's. We waited with anticipation of the good, tasty things to come. The guy at the counter seemed to want to assist everyone around us but my step-father. This went on for awhile, helping a couple of other customers who arrived much later in line than us and as he was getting ready to service another asking, "can I help you?" to the person behind us. My step-father had enough. He immediately, and in great frustration, exclaimed "Isn't anyone gonna help me?!". There must have been 5 people at the counter ,literally dropping what they were doing and refocusing their attention upon him, but my step-father wasn't having any of it. He declined angrily, "I don't think so!" and stormed out of the restaurant. My brother and I followed after him heads cast downwards in disappointment over not getting to have McDonald's. We went to Del Taco instead. I hate Del Taco.

I'm not exactly sure why this memory pooped** into my head while reading this topic, but it did.

Make of it what you will.

** Intentionally misspelled

Edited by Mailman