Fantastic Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwiches (pics)

Turbota

Yup, they have lots of pigs and lots of lechon here in the Philippines ... but where's the good smoked pork BBQ were used to eating back home?

Well, believe it or not, they have some of the best pulled pork BBQ sandwiches you have ever eaten right here in Bacolod! No, it's not really available in any of the local resturants around here, but I have finally found a place that actually smokes lean tenderloin pork over hickory wood chips and serves some of the best pulled pork BBQ you have ever stuck a fork in.

So, where did you find this Ron? .... Right here in my own backyard! :drink:

Fed up with the pork (ie: skin and fat) that's served locally, I decided that the only option was to cook the stuff myself: (click all the photos to see them in full view)

These photos were taken today ... A Saturday afternoon, a backyard BBQ, and some cold SMBs ... just don't get any better!

First you need to go buy some pork tenderloin at SM, Robinson, or wherever you buy meat. Believe it or not, but pork tenderloin really ain't that expensive here in the PI. Here is a plate of tenderloin cut in big pieces. It's had oil, salt and cracked black pepper added:

BBQ1.jpg

Next we put it on the gas BBQ grill. See that pan on the left side of the grill. That's hickory wood chips complements of a balikbayan box sent to me by my daughter in the US, but I believe local mango wood cut up in small pieces would work just as good:

BTW ... Keep the top of the grill closed most of the time so the meat smokes good

BBQ2.jpg

While the pork is cooking, spinkle on some of that local vineger with red peppers and garlic. Available everywhere and cheap:

BBQ3.jpg

Here are the pieces of pork tenderloin after they come off the BBQ grill:

BBQ4.jpg

Now, the secret to tender meat that can be shredded with a fork is the "crock pot". This one was puchased locally and works every bit as good as a crock pot you would find in the US.

BBQ5.jpg

Here is a photo of that pork sitting in the crock pot. About 1" of water has been added so the meat can steam for about 4 hours.

BBQ6.jpg

After cooking in the crock pot, the meat is shredded with a fork or spoon while still in the pot. Your favorite BBQ sauce is added and then give it maybe another 20 minutes in the pot. Here is a photo of the shredded pork after it was removed from the crock pot:

BBQ7.jpg

And finally the finished product. Pile it in a bun and serve with whatever you like. In my case, I just fried some cut-up potatoes and added some cut-up onions to it towards the end of frying. I think corn on the cob would go great with this too ... Of course, the ice cold bottle of SMB turns a nice Saturday backyard BBQ into a real event:

Enjoy .... :)

Ron

That little sprig of green onion was added for it's dramatic photo effect! :)

BBQ8.jpg

Edited by Turbota
  • Like 4

I've never heard of pulled pork BBQ before, but that looks seriously appetising!

Andrew

sandwindstars

Thanks for the recipe. That will go in the file considering pork is cheap and readily available. :)

The Mason

Looks tasty. How long did you smoke the pork for, and how hot was the grill (low,med, high?)

Looks tasty. How long did you smoke the pork for, and how hot was the grill (low,med, high?)

Turbot will tell you, low heat / long time...Thats the beggining of some serious BBQ'ing.....heheheh

Looks great my friend! All the more reason I want to come visit you....hahahahhaha

Just stay away from the East Coast of North Carolina style BBQ/Pulled pork, it SUCKS!!!!!

Now the pulled pork, explained and mad this way, as Turbot has done, is awesomely gooooooooooooood !!!!!

Headshot

I've never heard of pulled pork BBQ before, but that looks seriously appetising!

Andrew

If you go to Georgia in the US and ask for barbeque, pulled pork is likely what you will get. I love it. My recipe for pulled pork differs slightly from Ron's. I use as big a pork roast as I can get here (for some reason you seldom see big pork roasts in the stores here). I sprinkle it liberally with Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning and let it rest for a while in the fridge. Then I skip the grill and just throw it in the crock pot. I put a couple of cups of chicken stock in the crock pot with the pork roast, set it to high and cook it for two hours. Then I reduce the heat to low and let it go. You can let it cook like this for five to ten hours. The cooking time is very flexible, which is good if you will be away from the house for a while during the day. When you are ready to eat, just use two forks to 'pull' the pork (separate the fibers in the meat). Add your favorite barbeque sauce (I like Hunts brown sugar thick and spicy barbeque sauce) to the hot pork. If the mixture isn't hot enough for your tastes, you can put it back on high or just put the concoction in a bowl and nuke it for a couple of minutes. Grab the buns (I like a good round bun) and have some extra barbeque sauce on the table for those who like their pulled pork sandwiches extra juicy. Throw some plates on the table and get ready to dig in. I've made pulled pork a few times since I've been here. Filipinas don't know what to think of this the first time they see it, but once they taste it, they clean their plates pretty well.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

a good slow cooker is one of the most useful things you can have in a kitchen

• 4 weeks later...

There is a new place here in town, run by a member of the forum and his wife. It's called U Rock, located within the town limits of Carcar.

Anyway, they offer a pretty darn good pulled pork bar-b-que sandwhich. Php 65, if I recall. Not a bad price, and a fair amount of meat in the bun.

Thanks for all the wonderful info, but you forgot the most important piece: the time and location of this tasty dish's readiness! I will take two please. :o

You can keep that sprig of onion though.

Looks fantastic and I bet it tastes great too.

But watch out for using mango wood for your smoke.

It's said to be poisonous.

KinP

KinP

Ohhh crap.

What are some of the suggested local woods that are good to use and add flavor ?

Coco ?

• 6 months later...
CebuanaKo

Looks fantastic and I bet it tastes great too.

KinP

thanks for the heads up. i was about to try the mango wood :)

Bob Ward

Turbot will tell you, low heat / long time...Thats the beggining of some serious BBQ'ing.....heheheh

Looks great my friend! All the more reason I want to come visit you....hahahahhaha

Just stay away from the East Coast of North Carolina style BBQ/Pulled pork, it SUCKS!!!!!

Now the pulled pork, explained and mad this way, as Turbot has done, is awesomely gooooooooooooood !!!!!

We have to improvise here as the ingredients and supplies are scarce. But back in the world, if anybody wants the best recipe and technique to do pulled pork on a real smoker, PM me. I had five BBQ devices before I left the world, including a smoker with an offset firebox that would smoke 150-200 pounds of meat at one time. Looks good Turbota!

We have to improvise here as the ingredients and supplies are scarce. But back in the world, if anybody wants the best recipe and technique to do pulled pork on a real smoker, PM me. I had five BBQ devices before I left the world, including a smoker with an offset firebox that would smoke 150-200 pounds of meat at one time. Looks good Turbota!

ahhhh, Kansas city style BBQ-- indirect heat is the ONLY way to cook and smoke BBQ

A few months ago my brother got married in north Carolina and the BBQ at the rehearsal dinner was CRAP !!!

My brother almost cried when I produced a gallon of sauce from his favorite BBQ in Kansas city

Being a truck driver in the states I have Eaton every different style BBQ there is, so consider me a FAT BOY EXPERT.

rub it down, cook/smoke it slow,slow,slow using indirect heat and then when it is 3/4 of the way cooked, slop your favorite sauce on it and finish cookin

I guarantee you will NEVER cook BBQ any other way !!

The NEW THING here in the states is to get a really big baked potato and spoon out some of the middle. Then fill it up with sour cream/cheese/chives and pulled pork-- surprisingly it is really good !!

Edited by KID