Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Advertising without permission.

Paul

In a word, do not do it.

Read the rules, people.

If you wish to advertise your products or services here, I have the cheapest rates around, I'm sure. Just contact me for them.

Edited by Admin

Paul

^

TheMatrix

Where is the fine line to determine if a post is an advertisement?

If something is for sale, it is undoubtedly an advertisement.

If you provide advice, is it an advertisement?

If you have no commercial interests, is it an advertisement?

If a member asks where they can get blood tests done, and I recommend my clinic, is that an advertisement?

What if I own that clinic?

If there are posts on the feasibility of goat farming, is it advertising to provide information on the possibility of sheep farming?

I understand if there would be an affiliate link or perhaps commercial interests, but I did not see the harm in providing sheep farming info.

No biggie, but it can seem subjective.

• Like 5

TheMatrix

It would definitely be advertising to post your house for sale, no?

Or, is that an exception?

Just trying to locate that fine line.

• Like 3

Paul

Classified Ads, for example, are not advertisements that should be paid for. Selling your personal home or property is accepted.

Selling services, eBooks, anything that you have written or created, etc., is advertising.

For example, Andre is selling DNA testing kits. He has paid for advertising in order to do so.

Andrew buys used cars. He paid for a thread and a block on the portal as his package.

Trust me, the rate I charge (Php 10,000 / year for this site), is pretty cheap advertising. And, advertisers get the satisfaction of knowing those fees go to help others in the Philippines.

Incidentally, if any "free" ads become abused, then I can stop them just as easily as they were allowed.

Edited by Admin

TheMatrix

Classified Ads, for example, are not advertisements that should be paid for. Selling your personal home or property is accepted.

Selling services, eBooks, anything that you have written or created, etc., is advertising.

For example, Andre is selling DNA testing kits. He has paid for advertising in order to do so.

Andrew buys used cars. He paid for a thread and a block on the portal as his package.

Trust me, the rate I charge (Php 10,000 / year for this site), is pretty cheap advertising. And, advertisers get the satisfaction of knowing those fees go to help others in the Philippines.

Incidentally, if any "free" ads become abused, then I can stop them just as easily as they were allowed.

Yes, I totally understand "selling", but there was nothing being sold with the sheep farming information. It was only posted as an alternative to goat farming.

I'm not interested in advertising. There is nothing I would sell to the folks on this forum.

Edited by Admin
  • Like 2

Headshot

So...I thought rule number one is:

1. If you post an ad in this forum without expressed consent from the administrators, you will be banned. This is a Zero Tolerance Rule.

And yet...somebody just broke this rule and he is still posting on the forum. Maybe these things just take time...or maybe he wasn't really offering an e-book like he said.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

Paul

In the rules, under section 04:

Posting Ads - No ads are to be placed anywhere on these forums without prior approval. Never, ever, post links to Meet-A-Filipina or other introductory type sites. I do not promote these sites in any fashion and you will be banned immediately for doing so. If you wish to meet a Filipina, come here, get off the damn plane, and meet them. It isn't a difficult task.

In the rules, under section 11:

Advertising - Please note, purchasing a subscription or making a donation does not give any member the right to post ads on the site or to contact members offering their services, without permission. Please seek prior approval before doing so.

• Like 2

TheMatrix

1. If you post an ad in this forum without expressed consent from the administrators, you will be banned. This is a Zero Tolerance Rule.

And yet...somebody just broke this rule and he is still posting on the forum. Maybe these things just take time.

Just maybe if you would have read the post, you would have seen that nothing was being sold. So, who broke the rule Mr. Internet Policeman?

Should we call Bir?

• Like 3

Mailman

Just maybe if you would have read the post, you would have seen that nothing was being sold. So, who broke the rule Mr. Internet Policeman?

Should we call Bir?

I don't care about this either way, but I read the post and it was, without a doubt, peddling an eBook. Maybe not by you specifically, but certainly by the original author.

• Like 1

Paul

And yet...somebody just broke this rule and he is still posting on the forum. Maybe these things just take time.

I can only assume that you don't like Steve for whatever reason(s).

Yes, that is the rule, and, I PMed him regarding it. I also made a point to tell him that, many times in the past, I have immediately banned people for breaking that rule.

Since I pay the light bill around here, I figure it is my right to decide who I ban and who I don't. If you, for example, had broken the rule, I would not have banned you either, because you are an active member of this forum and have contributed quite a bit since joining.

Paul

Should we call Bir?

Well, as far as I am concerned something was being sold. I prefer it if members don't push the envelope in this matter.

After all, this forum isn't very strict on the members, concerning most matters.

Headshot

Should we call Bir?

I don't care about this either way, but I read the post and it was, without a doubt, peddling an eBook. Maybe not by you specifically, but certainly by the original author.

Thank you. That was the way I read it too. This isn't personal, Steve. It looked to me like you broke a major rule. In any case, this is between you and Paul. We will know the outcome soon enough.

• Like 1

TheMatrix

Should we call Bir?

I guess my mistake was copying and pasting the original endorsement of the ebook from the author. I was careful, however, to remove any references to anything being sold and especially did not include any links. I made sure there was nothing being sold. However, I do understand your point, the language of the sheep farming endorsement did have a marketing feel to it. Bottom line: the ebook was free, it does not promote anything other then provide true information on sheep farming. There was absolutely zero to gain by providing this information. Next time, I will be ultra-careful with the language being used to assure that it does not sound like selling.

• Like 2

Headshot

I can only assume that you don't like Steve for whatever reason(s).

Yes, that is the rule, and, I PMed him regarding it. I also made a point to tell him that, many times in the past, I have immediately banned people for breaking that rule.

Since I pay the light bill around here, I figure it is my right to decide who I ban and who I don't. If you, for example, had broken the rule, I would not have banned you either, because you are an active member of this forum and have contributed quite a bit since joining.

Fair enough, Paul. It is your forum and you can run it however you see fit. I really don't dislike Steve. I have no feelings about him either way. However, I value this forum...and if he (or anybody) gives advice that is questionable, or if what I thought was a cardinal rule is broken, I will comment on it. I hope you don't see me as a zealot for that. I'm not. Whatever you decide to do is fine with me.